The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default True Heroes, OoC

Spoiler: Big 16 (copied from recruitment thread)
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Homebrewed campaign setting (see above). Will be a traditional high fantasy type setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4-6, with other interested people as alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? OOTS

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 7.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? WBL

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Not particularly; see below.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? If you want to play a published race from an allowed source, I can work with it (as long as it's published as a playable race). In some cases I will be allowing you to take fewer RHD and reduce LA (with no penalty). This is different from LA Buyoff. Ask for the specific monster you want to use.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Ability Scores: 28-point point buy, but starting from 10 instead of 8 (or 40 point point buy, but you must buy every ability up to 10: this amounts to the same thing).
    Hit Points: Max at first level, 3/4 thereafter (round down at even levels, up at odd levels)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Yes, alignment is a tool not a straight-jacket. You should probably be good or neutral. Ask if you have a concept for an evil character. Further, monster alignments will be more flexible than normal (e.g. orcs and goblins should not be assumed to be evil).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Feel free to multi-class. Ignore the rule about XP penalties. Ignore the restriction paladins and monks have.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I'll roll npc rolls, usually secretly. I'll roll dice for you if you shouldn't see the result, shouldn't know about the roll, or attempt to do something that should need a roll to succeed (e.g. if you lie to someone and don't roll a bluff check, I'll roll it for you).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Flaws and traits (up to two of each) with some specific limitations:

Spoiler: Limitations
    Show
    Noncombatant To take this flaw, you must have BAB equal to at least 3/4 your HD and be proficient with all simple melee weapons.
    Shaky To take this flaw, you must be proficient with all simple ranged weapons.
    Pathetic You can't take this flaw if the relevant ability would be below 8 after racial modifiers (in addition to the normal restriction).
    Slow This reduces all your base speeds if you have more than one.

The Giant's Diplomacy Fix

We will use fractional BAB and saves.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? You should know where your character comes from, what they care about, why they want to defeat Evil Mistress.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A combination.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Books you can use more or less without limitation (but use good sense; if you think something might be too powerful, ask):
    Core, Core II, Complete Series, MIC, Races of the Wild/Stone/the Dragon, Dungeonscape, the psionics and race and class variants published to the SRD

Books I have that contain some material that is questionable, not intended for PCs, not appropriate for all games or I'm just unfamiliar with:
    BoED, BoVD, Fiendish Codices, Fiend Folio, Exemplars of Evil, MM III-V, Races of Eberron, Savage Species.

Ask before using stuff from the second set of books. If it's intended for PCs, it'll probably be ok.

Leadership and similar abilities are not permitted.

For other books, homebrew, stuff ported from PF, etc. ask, and I'll see what I can do. Given that I'm expecting people to be playing unusual races, I'd like to stay away from sub-systems not in the above books (so avoid ToB, ToM, Incarnum, etc. as well as homebrew that relies on it's own extensive sub-system).

Spoiler: Backstory (copied from recruitment thread)
    Show
    Starting 10 years ago, rumors began to spread of a mysterious villian raising an army in the northern part of the continent Atorieh. No one seemed to be able to substantiate the rumors, but in the noble courts, things began to seem a bit off. Courtiers were disappearing for days on end, and coming back changed, in a way no one could quite put a finger on. Groups of heroes began to search the more desolate parts of the wilderness. Finally, a party returned with a small group of villagers, who claimed to be the survivors of a raid. A group of knights had ransacked their village, bearing a sigil of black flame and speaking of their "mistress".

The northern kingdoms gathered together, and a group of their most powerful diviners worked with the villagers to find the unknown mistress's lair. A castle, hidden in the mountains, difficult to approach, except by air, and well defended. The castle was shrouded in some sort of perpetual darkness, and this, combined with the black flame motif, led to the yet unseen woman being referred to as "the dark mistress". People were frightened. This dark mistress was raising an army, and they had already sacked at least one village, likely many more. Nonetheless, the nobles were wary, and many counseled inaction.

The heads of the various kingdoms met to discuss the issue. Only a few short days after the debate began, however, the king of Batrania announced that he would join with the Dark Mistress. Though most people greeted his announcement with shock, a surprisingly large minority approved of his decision. As the debate about what to do grew messier and the chances of a resolution looked ever dimmer, a group of heroes decided to take matters into their own hands. Escara Doborion, warrior without peer and a heroine of the people; Ivellis Hebara, scout, hunter, and man of the wild; Teveneleen the Burning, lady of flame; and Ketor Donorel, favored of Kord: these heroes set forth to slay the Dark Mistress, and put an end to the debate.

While the heroes marched toward the Dark Mistress's lair, the debate grew more heated. Ultimately, it errupted into violence. Despite their smaller numbers, the Dark Mistress's supporters triumphed, claiming Batrania, Morine, Beshetagar, and Kamorella for their lady. The people of these kingdom's, terrified of what might happen to them panicked. Some fled, others pinned their hopes on the four heroes. These hopes were dashed, however, when the Dark Mistress's forces rode out, and the four heroes were among. The false heroes had joined the Dark Mistress, and now fought in her army. While the southern kingdoms rushed to gather their armies to stand against the onslaught, they were ill prepared, and one by one they fell, leaving only a few isolated fortresses and villages safe from her the Dark Mistress's wrath. Now, these too are beginning to be conquered. People are panicked, and no one knows who to trust; rumor has it that before the dark lady conquers a town, she takes over the minds of a few local residents, to better her assault, and make her conquest all the more thorough.

Just a few days ago, word started to spread, however, of a secret gathering. A select group of new heroes, true heroes, is gathering again, to cast down the Dark Mistress. How any such group could hope to gather without attracting her attention is, of course, an open question, but what choice do they have?

Spoiler: Warforged in Atorieh (copied from recruitment thread)
    Show
    Note: I don't feel like any of the other races require specific explanation, but given their nature, I felt like warforged should have one. Let me know if you'd like further develop for any other race.

The kingdom of Fershia sits at a crossroads. Without very many natural resources, the capital city instead grew rich by controlling trade routes and water ways. As a side effect of its central location, most ideas also passed through the area, and they developed one of the finest universities in the known world. Among their projects were the warforged, created to serve as elite troops that needed neither food nor rest. Unfortunately for Fershia, its central location also made it one of the first kingdoms to fall to the Dark Mistress, and many of the warforged (and other residents) were scattered, without direction or a leader to follow.

Characters:
    Sir Kruentus
    Ixen
    Trygg, Dragonborn Warforged Warlock
    Hyacinth
    The Intentionally Unnamed Character
    Martha
    Dirt

General Information (new):
    Welcome to the OoC thread. I need everyone to post a speech color here. Also, as a ground rule, I expect everyone to be able to post a minimum of once every three days. If you don't feel like there's anything for your character to be doing at the moment, a post (either here or in the IC) making that clear is pretty useful (this is especially true when someone addresses the group and it isn't clear who will or won't respond). If you are going to be unable to post for 4 days or more, post here to let everyone know.

Link to IC thread
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2015-05-20 at 09:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: True Heroes, OoC

Hyacinth will use Indigo.

My IC post will be up tomorrow midafternoon - it's getting late here/now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

The undead paladin will use silver, as long as it shows up properly for everyone. If not, I will change it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ixen will use Magenta which is MOST DEFINITELY NOT PINK
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Martha, will be using Sienna at least for the moment. Later I might fiddle with hex codes to find a more representative beige.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

If no one else posts in two days I will, otherwise I'd prefer Ixen to be the last one there.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well. The rules for equal results on opposed checks say that the higher skill modifier wins. We have the same skill modifier. Roll again for the tiebreaker, DracoDei: (1d20+7)[11]
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-03-19 at 01:59 PM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

Is that even really worth it, lol?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Is what worth what? I don't see anything involving significant cost or effort in the posts between your question and your prior post.

(there are three possible things - the hex-twiddling, the waiting-for-last, or the reroll-for-tiebreaker - but I can't tell which)
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In the past, I've used highest ability score to break a tie in opposed checks, but looking it up I see that was a 3.0 rule that got replaced, rather than added to. However, I will institute the 3.0 guideline of just using a coin flip to resolve tied checks with tied skill modifiers, as it amounts to the same probabilities of victory and is quite a bit faster:

1 means Martha wins, 2 means Hyacinth wins: (1d2)[1]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Okay then.

(If I saw through it, I was going to counterbluff "Oh, you knew Frederick? He never told me he met any dragons..." or similar and see what humor ensued.)
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ooph. Sorry for being late, work has been crazy busy lately. "Color reflects alignment, so Sir Kruentus speaks in bolded dark slate gray."
    Last edited by giles92; 2014-03-20 at 04:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Sorry for being late! I'll be using blue.

Also, hope you don't mind if I write up a ten-minute background before jumping in.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hipho, Hyacinth is a "she."

Or was that intentional and you were fishing for a retort?
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

It was entirely in-character qwerty I assure you. He was more using "guys" as a catch-all term than an actual description.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"He's right you know" is not that, though.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    "He's right you know" is not that, though.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

So, will you edit it or should I write up a retort?
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Okay then.

(If I saw through it, I was going to counterbluff "Oh, you knew Frederick? He never told me he met any dragons..." or similar and see what humor ensued.)
    Sorry to spring a rule change on you like that, but seeing as there's no mechanical difference (it's just a difference in implementation), I think it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Sorry for being late! I'll be using blue.

Also, hope you don't mind if I write up a ten-minute background before jumping in.
    Go ahead, although you can also do it in parallel with the opening conversation. Also, do note that your speech should be in a different color than the rest of your text, so if you're speaking in blue, any descriptive text should be a different color. I'll make the next IC post sometime tomorrow; if you haven't finished by then, it should remain relatively easy to insert yourself for a couple days real time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    Sorry to spring a rule change on you like that, but seeing as there's no mechanical difference (it's just a difference in implementation), I think it's acceptable.
    Yeah, it's fine.
    (no sarcasm)
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21

Go ahead, although you can also do it in parallel with the opening conversation. Also, do note that your speech should be in a different color than the rest of your text, so if you're speaking in blue, any descriptive text should be a different color. I'll make the next IC post sometime tomorrow; if you haven't finished by then, it should remain relatively easy to insert yourself for a couple days real time.
    I'm thinking of taking Green for Trygg's character speech.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So, forum goes down tomorrow. Let's try not to let that kill the game?
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

Anybody got Skype?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was not aware of that; how long is it down?

EDIT: Nvm, found my answer.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-03-21 at 11:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I was not aware of that; how long is it down?
    Could be down for a week

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, so, obviously I didn't realize the forum was going to go down. My hope is that we can just pick up where we left off, once it's back up. I'll be checking regularly, obviously, and will post here once it's back up. I'd recommend you all subscribe to this thread if you haven't already, although it's obviously up to you. See you all in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Anybody got Skype?
    Technically, yes, but I'm not really prepared to game over it. Sorry.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I was just talking in terms of "try to remember the game exists," not "let's find a different medium."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

I'm sure we won't forget.

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm still here!
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hipho View Post
    I'm still here!
    Also still present.
    My Homebrew