New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hatfield Harriers IC [FRED Champions]

T1S12P24: "What. The. Hell." Flames flicker over Eddy's body, and you can see him, just for a second, consider tackling the shooter. "Dude is just trying to be reasonable. I mean, he's wrong, but you're a douchebag."

He takes a deep breath, and heads over to a downed cultist to take a look at their magical paraphenalia.

T1S12P23: Mammoth protect spear and take home. Man with spear in chest told Mammoth to protect spear.

Mammoth turns and makes a short run before bouncing into a crouch and then making a mighty leap to jump up through the ceiling. Home...
    Spoiler: NCM and Leap
    Show
    Distance to roof 12", but upward movement is only 6" ... and these are values with a short run, otherwise distances are halved. To get up the 12" you have to make a NCM (non-combat movement) leap.

Within Black Hawk's unconscious mind there is the sensation of floating ... darkness.....a distant pinprick of light. Then more lights. Hundreds, thousands, then millions of lights twinkle in the sea of darkness. A sensation of movement and weightlessness. A huge ball of swirling multi-colored gas floats past and disappears in the blackness.Whoa...

T1S12P20: "NOO!" the Japanese woman calls out, but it is too late. The large brute is gone. She looks devastated. "I didn't see him hit but one person, but he could've helped us."

She is practically in tears before she calms her mind after getting into a lotus. "They are not here. I would've sensed the vibration from her gait for it wasn't fast but lumbering. She probably crossed dimensions for her own safety because of size. That is good and bad. We have no chance of fighting her in our condition, but we knew where she was and now who knows when she'll appear."

Wyatt announces while trying to rouse and tend to his fellow normal, "Well, for those that don't read the news or watch sports, my name is Wyatt Winter. I know better than to ask superheroes their names since they might want to protect their identities, but what do you call yourselves? And can anyone tell me what just happened and why I - we - were kidnapped?"

Camellia interjects, "This is the same place where I was captured - just outside. This place is Simmert Textiles. I don't know it's history, other than you can tell it's been abandoned for years."

"The only reason I felt it important to say anything,"
    she adds slowly and cautiously, "... is that I sense faint hum of electricity. There shouldn't be anything; electricity would've been cut off. It's beneath us, but not strong. It's right underneath where the mystic circle was placed. The devil also was quickly being burned by a force he claimed was holy ground. I sense magic in the area, but my skills are not strong enough to note any more than that."

The Big Green Man says in his accented voice, "You don't need to know who I or my friend is. We don't have business with each other, it just sort of parallel. We're looking for our bounty, and then we'll be on our way. If it turns out they're not among the dead, but one you knocked out, let us know. We'll be sure to split the bounty with you. If they were ones that were chased off .... doesn't count.

"I know who you are, Mr. Winter. American football is for pantywaists." As an afterthought he adds, "Besides ... green and yellow ... I'm a Packers fan, myself."

He looks at another cultist and shakes his head, uncovering the red-bearded hippie.

"My name is Sue Ueda, though my master used to call me Camellia. I like the name, so that is my nickname."

Post-Segment-12 Recovery ...

Mammoth is AUR (All Up Round, Naval term used to describe a missile that is ready for fire.) His END has fully returned. Mammoth is no longer in (immediate) play.

Eddy: END 18:30. STUN 10:43. END-R 60:100. Wards active.

Wyatt is doing a good job of helping the once-dying man to come around. (Austin is at -6 STUN, and is sort of lolling around, not quite conscious.)

We can probably come out of Combat now, so feel free to interject whenever (even though technically vocals are free, anyway).

Eddy, your wards are active, any comment on anything discussed or discovered?
    .................................................. ................................
    Meanwhile, what does Mammoth do? You have a well-appointed hotel suite as offered by the AIA for your time here.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Mammoth heads towards the hotel Gavin is staying in. When near the hotel, he finds as secluded a spot as he can and changes back to Gavin.

Damn these clothes. Need to find something that doesn't rip apart every time I turn into Mammoth. Now... how to get to the hotel without raising too much fuss?... clothes shredded and carrying a spear... nothing to see here... move along.... move along.

Gavin tries to remain as unnoticed as possible and returns to his hotel room. He places the spear down on the hotel bed.

"Now... time to get you packaged up and transported back to the Boneyard. As for the next step, I will have to expend some considerable thought first."

Gavin looks for some suitable clothing to change into.

Mental note: Must buy more travel clothing... starting to run low... again.

He then proceeds to package the spear so he can carry it until it is properly crated and makes arrangements for his flight back to England.
    Last edited by thunderdragon; 2014-04-11 at 10:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

.....moan....sun.....,where did the angel go?....
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2014-04-12 at 02:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yo, names Eddy. Sorry I couldnt help more, but I'm kinda undergunned, magically speaking." Eddy chuckles nervously, the adrenaline starting to wear off. "Hey, Lee Van Cleef" he indicates the gunslinger. "I don't know how much of that you were around for, but there's a very good chance that your bounty was just eaten by the Devil. Well, something that wants to look like the Devil, anyway."

Eddy, fully aware that the flickering flames are the only thing between the world and his junk, keeps the wards active. He starts collecting scrolls, wands, and amulets and tossing them into a discarded cloak, intending to study them later. Even if they are just props, the brass is useful in creating various magical junk, and he knows a few fire elementals that enjoy the taste of parchment.

"Anyone have any idea who the hell these guys were? They seem more organized than than your average satanists. First I heard of them is when some ******* ambushed me. And uh..."

He tosses a look at the moaning man.

"Is he going to be alright?"
    Last edited by ClockworkCorvid; 2014-04-11 at 01:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Mammoth/ Gavin

No way the "nothing to see here" would work. The only way you're going to get up to your room is to jump up and smash through the window (as Mammoth). Your room is on the 5th floor, facing the rear where there's an alley (because the GM loves you), and with a running leap Mammoth is able to bound up and smash through. It will go on AIA's bill. (Ugh.) There will be some explaining to do, but outsiders usually refer to the Old Men of Oxford and the Chaos Boys of Cambridge. Seems like a decade does little to dampen an alum such as yourself. It is likely, come to think of it, that you usually specifically ask for such rooms that could help you - even daring to leave windows open.

You definitely have to clean the spear off, no doubt about it. As you do, you realize that this is not a new weapon, and might bear study later. It isn't hard at all for the AIA to believe that an outside source wanted you to study a spear, so it is shipped with all the due diligence required.
    .................................................. ..........................................

Rest of you ...

Camellia nods and says to Eddy, "Collecting trophies? I will require just one wand and amulet for study. They are profane, so destroy it when you're done. So, a magician with power over fire? I guess that makes you a 'pyromancer.' The thing that makes me curious, Eddy, is you say you were ambushed; and yet, when that man over there attacked, it struck me that he was sad and honorable. Something about being free. There was nothing about him that seemed like subterfuge. You also didn't refer to him, but I infer that you mean you were ambushed by someone else? Who was it?"

In response to Eddy, the two strangers look around. It is Green-and-Gold that notices him first. He beckons and the gunslinger walks up with him to the disemboweled man with the hole in his chest. The gunslinger takes out a simple digital light-and-recorder.

Meanwhile, Austin wakes up to the athlete trying to get him awake. While still woozy, Austin finds that he is in critical condition and massive pain. (BODY 9:19) His energy and vim quickly return, minus the extreme pain of debilitation. The attractive Japanese woman stands over him, talking with someone else, and then she casts a spell on him, touching Austin's heart with energy flowing out from the palms of her hands. His wounds are quickly being healed. (BODY now 16:19) Another spell finally heals him.

"My name's Wyatt. Wyatt Winter,"
    says the athlete over Austin. "This woman here saved life. She's Sue, though she goes by the nickname Camellia. I only caught part of the conversation because I was trying to help bring you around, but I think she said the naked man with flames protecting his dignity is 'Pyromancer' or something like that."

"This is Special Agent Whisper," says the bald man to the recorder, which is now being held by Green-and-Gold, "It is 0207, Monday, March 24th, 2014. South African mercenary Springbok proved invaluable to help tracking down target. Please view target's face carefully."

It's Springbok's turn as he turns the Stranger's face to the recorder and forces an eye open. The recorder sends out multiple beams of lights in semi-geometric patterns that cause lights to pulse until they stop and a beeping is heard. "Facial recognition and retinal scan positive on target. Target terminated by unknown party."

Special Agent Whisper then clicks a button on the somewhat cell phone device and looks at the group and holds up a badge. "For two normals and three Supers, you did pretty well at surviving that which our target failed. I see a lot of bodies - unconscious or dead. Good job. We'll send a team in to investigate this. Vans are on their way to collect evidence, including a team to debrief you all.

"Speaking of which,"
    he adds to Camellia and Eddy (especially the latter), "drop the evidence, son. This isn't cowboys and Indians ... (says the man with the bolo tie and the guns) ... and you don't get to keep squaws scalps."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-12 at 02:17 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ah...hello. My name is John...John Smith.
    Austin gets slowly to his feet.
    Thanks for the healing. Anyone know what the ***k is going on?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

First replying to Camelia, seeming much too happy to talk shop.

"I was too busy getting blanched to really get a name out of the guy, but I got a feeling that he's got a real sadist streak in him. Controlled water... "

Hell, did he just shudder?

"Then hit me with some kind of nasty mental attack. Knocked me out cold, and it hurt like a mother****er." He ruffles around in his makeshift sack, and tosses Camelia some of the requested implements. "Eh, let me know what you find. I aint too up to speed on the religious crap. Gonna melt this stuff down, leech out the bad mojo. Heck, I know some things that love eating this sort of stuff, an-"

Mid sentence, he turns on the bolo-tied man, scowling.

"Hey, Tex, Thanks for the help and all, and I sure do appreciate that advice, but... "

He hams up a large yawn...

"It's past my bedtime. So if you've got more faux-cowboy bull**** to fling at me, You can say it to my contrail."

8. - Top - End - #38

Austin, though separated from the 'epicenter' by about 20' or so, there are a half-dozen of the cultists lying around. You don't see the well-dressed gentleman. There are two others you haven't seen (as above).

Wyatt Winter informs him, "Mr. Smith, maybe you don't remember, but you were nearly killed by some kind of energy weapon the cultists used. This lady, Camellia, and the flame-guy - Pyromancer, was it? - along with those two men saved the two of us. The guy with the guns calls himself a 'Special Agent' Whisper, and refers the other to some South African mercenary named Springbok, and says there are some vans coming to seal the place off for evidence and to debrief us."

Camellia nods her head when Eddy mentions his attacker. "Selkie. He attacked me, more to get my attention and disappeared when I was challenged by the stranger. He's actually an underwater offshoot of people by that name, though I don't know his real one. We are both of my old master's prize pupils of an art called takijutsu; it's far more internal than even tai ch'i chuan and practices more on developing ch'i energy. I excelled physically and with some of the secrets of the art. Selkie is brilliant, but without a pure heart he could never learn our deepest skills, so he out of anger he left our school and went about learning mystic powers. He can turn into a form of water, but not truly so. Most of his powers are actually to thwart other mystics. Still, he's a coward at heart. He quickly ran from me and it makes sense that he ambushed you. It doesn't surprise me that he would be hired as mystic muscle for a cult like DEMON - the ones that captured us. They are an extremely powerful, subversive group of criminal mystics."

As Eddy monologues, Whisper looks almost bemused. "Three things wrong, Mr. Py-ro-man-cer..." (this part he says with dry mockery, annoying since Camellia started this whole, annoying Pyromancer bit) "... First, I'm from New Mexico, Slick. Second, I'm mestizo, not a cowboy, 'cause to my people that's an insult. And third ...."
    *BLAM* *BLAM*

Almost faster than Eddy's eyes could register, the man's pistols were in his hands and he fires once each on the surprised fire-caster. With flawless accuracy, both bullets rip Eddy's trophy bundle out of his hand, which in turns lands on the ground with the cloak spilling open and wands and amulets spilling forth. (That was all each cultist had - one wand and one amulet each, and all of the same type, nothing personalized.)

"... I'm going to have to ask you to keep the evidence here.

"It's been a long night, though, and you all have been through a great deal of trauma. I tell you what. Here is a card you can reach me; I just need your contact information in case I need to get in touch with you. We just want a record of your personal accounts that led up to, through, an ending with this ritual. As far as these guys, I have ways of getting them to tell me what I need to know."

"N
    ow, Mr. Pyromancer and Ms. Camellia ... you have shown some exceptional abilities and unique training that might help us understand better what happened here. Perhaps you could serve your country by offering your services?"

He hands his card out to those who will take one, and will show his badge: Department of Homeland Security.

Roberto "Bob" Suarez
    Special Agent, Field Operations
    National Security Agency
    Redeemers Branch
    (xxx) xxx-xxxx
    [email protected]

Camellia takes a card, as does Wyatt.

"Agent Suarez, I would like to help. We weren't chosen at random, I think, though I don't know their criteria. Somehow, this place we're in ..."

"...Simmert Textiles, an old textile place that shut down back in the 60s ..."

"...I was just outside before your 'target' attacked me. Anyway, I sense the mystic energy in this place. It's not powerful and doesn't 'come' from this place so much as it happens to be here. And it was enough to nearly burn away a devil in mere seconds. I also heard something - faint, like electrical lines, coming from below the area that was their sacrificial focal point. There's no way DEMON would've called a devil right into holy ground and piss it off; I think they sensed the magic latent in the area but didn't know what they had.

"Now, I happen to be a private detective - I know, civilian - but I actually specialize in these types of cases. I just never thought I'd be one myself. You said you can get the information you need. I know the ringleader's name - she was called Gina Ruiz. Forensics won't truly be helpful to you. If you hold off your teams and allow us to get to the area below, we might discover an undercurrent of why this place was used.

"Pyromancer - Eddy - if I can get him to let you have two sets of amulet and wand to study, melt, or what-have-you, would you be willing to help me in return? Don't worry about these guys. You don't work in my field without hearing about people like yourself. I hear you help people in your 'neighborhood' with these kinds of problems. Well, we're in the same neighborhood - dealing with forces normal people don't understand."

Whisper looks to Pyromancer. "If you promise to help her, and we can get flow of information, we'll let you have three. Hell, I imagine they're all the same anyway by the look of things. Tell you what. Clear out so we can have this messed cleaned up, and we'll try to run interference if you can investigate this on the back end. If you want to come back to check out the area, that's fine."

Wyatt pipes up, "If there's any chance I'll have any other supers and cultists try to pop up to take me off to some sacrifice, I'll feel safer if it's around you guys. Well, you, Camellia, if Pyromancer isn't going to help."

He then looks to the agents and John, "Sirs, you seem like you're going to be busy. Do you mind if I walk Mr. Smith out of this place and call for a limo to take it him home? Unless, of course, you want to get some pancakes, John. I have the shakes after this and I need some starch."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for the lift Mr. Winter. I will pass on the offer for breakfast. Since I am covered in my own blood, I think i would rather get home and get cleaned up.

He stares at the floor and shuffles his feet nervously.

Thanks again Ms. Camelia for healing me. ...

Looking up at Agent Whisper

Special Agent Suarez, thank you and your associate for your help but could you refrain from discharging your firearms anymore. We are all a little jumpy, you understand.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eddy blinks in surprise, trying to remember if his wards are rated against bullets or not. Apparently deciding that Roberto had won this little **** waving contest, he sighs and takes the damn card.

"Freakin' NSA... he mutters, trying his best not to acknowledge that any of that just happened.

"Yeah, fine, I'm in. I'm not about to let these guys get away with whatever the hell they're planning. Oh... He looks around the room, between the assembled heros. "It's Eddy, just Eddy. Pyromancer is a profession, not a title. ... Did someone say breakfast?"

11. - Top - End - #41

Agent Suarez says, "Thank you, Mr. Eddy. Take three sets."

Wyatt says, "Hey, sure, Eddy. Of course, Camellia, you can come with as well. Sorry you can't join us, Mr. Smith. But if you ever want to meet with me, call my agent, say you're a friend of Cam and Pyro, and perhaps we can get together at my place."

With all adrenaline and immediate press behind, Sue looks up at Wyatt Winter and his features and broad frame for the first time since battle. She agrees a little glassy eyed, "Uh-huhhh."

There's the slightest silence, just a half-second, wherein you realize that it might be possible that Wyatt has some type of super power of passive mind control. That, or he's just a really, really, really, ridiculously good looking man (COM 20).

"Have a good morning, Special Agent Suarez," says Wyatt.

He gives Eddy his collared shirt, leaving him his A-shirt. Since Wyatt is a half-foot taller, his shirt just barely allows for some modesty. He calls for taxi service (requesting a van) with the help of Suarez making a phone call. "We can drop you off by your house or wherever you want to go, John. Eddy, even my shirt won't fully help. Be sure to hold your bag of tricks on your lap; we should get you home to get you something better to wear. Then, it's on our way to Jimmy Mack's Flapjacks."

Any other business here?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-12 at 03:37 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Totally exhausted from the previous nights ordeal, Austin gratefully accepts the ride but has them drop him at his apartment building.
    Before leaving the vehicle, he addresses the group:I don't understand all that happened but if you guys are going back to the warehouse to try to make some sense of things, the I would like to help. Leave word for me at the front desk.
    He goes up to his room quickly so he doesn't have to answer awkward questions. He cleans up and leaves word with the kindly old couple that messages for John Smith are to forwarded to him. Then he finds a out of the way spot on the roof to sleep in the sun.
    Ahh...that's the stuff

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eddy coughs, breaking that split second of silence, just barely hiding a stupid little grin.

"Appreciate it man. Probably need to feed my d... dog, while I'm at it."

Once they get to the building, he gets in the front door... then takes the stairs two at at time, rushing up to his apartment. Hopefully the damn lizard hasn't taken the opportunity to eat his mattress. Hopefully, DEMON didn't take the time to search his place, and the damn lizard would still be asleep in it's bed.

Of course, if everything is in order, and the dragon is still asleep and accounted for, He'll quickly grab clothes, fill Cindy's bowl, and stuff various bits of magical miscellany into a well worn black canvas backpack. Last, but not least, He snags a silver zippo from a counter top, kisses it, and heads back down to the van.

Spoiler: VPP
    Show
    This is the VPP he had before he was bushwacked. I'll set it in the morning.

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler: Austin
    Show
    It is an apartment building, not a hotel. There is no front desk. However, there is a special, residents-only drop box wherein residents deposit their rent. This is also the place for comments, suggestions, and requests. There is also a small doorbell with a quaint chime. The overwhelming majority of the residents are elderly, so many amenities are in place for them. Obviously, you would amend your directions for the party, including the phone Nick and Lacey use for business calls.

You sleep well into the day from your ordeal, and by the time you wake up, the day is gone and it is about 2 pm. It isn't until you go back down to your apartment that you find out that you were taken three nights prior. Not good. That means that you missed a whole day of work, though at least you will get to work on time. Yeah, not good enough. It's hard enough to get a job off the grid.

Spoiler: Eddy
    Show
    With all that happened, Suarez' notation of the date went right over your head. But you note as you get in the door that your mattress is still fluffy, only so much that in Medieval times they might have thought it a luxury. As an added note of pissed off, a pair of your Doc Martens are ruined. That is really strange, because that take a lot of time for her to do. You note the date, you realize that you haven't been to your apartment for two days. You didn't even get the chance to feed or water Cindy the day your were captured.

She can't eat 'kibbles' or pet food. While technically she is omnivorous, she still needs a lot of meat and has a high metabolism - requiring more food and water than a cat of similar size. You have to give her meat from the freezer and set out two bowls of water. Still, she is more than happy to see you. She croak-whimpers when you go to leave, but you are feeling the effects of not having eaten either. You'll have to stick out some people food just so she can get enough of her strength to use her tiny 1 RKA fire (limited charges/ day) to try and defrost a small chunk.

You head down to the taxi-van and and Wyatt treats you to Jimmy Mack's Flapjacks. Now, Wyatt Winter is a rich football player and a well-known, all-around this-and-that. But Jimmy Mack's is actually in - well, not a bad part of town, mind you - but not in a place where you'd expect Wyatt to be. Sue and Wyatt, strangely, had their wallets. Considering your own 'delicate' situation, DEMON obviously took you as you were, or had some other reason. (Stupidity and ignorance are acceptable reasons, one might surmise.) You had to have humility of going to the evening manager to get in your place. Considering where you live, he isn't surprised. Wyatt pays by credit card, but gives the guy a soid tip - not out of the box, but enough to make his night. Wyatt doesn't have that cheesy attitude of a rich guy 'gracing the little man with his mercy,' but a sense of sincere thoughtfulness.

Jimmy Mack's is a diner that is barely better than a greasy spoon place, but you soon see why Wyatt goes there. The 'cakes are awesome (as are the scrambled eggs, eggs over easy, hasbrowns, toast, bacon, steak, chicken and waffles, and the full carafe of juice that you consumed); Wyatt comes here often enough that the staff are friendly with him, having gotten used to him; they are no longer are agog that a celebrity eats there; and not as many people come through here. You and Sue actually talk shop, making Wyatt feeling a little left out of such strange material that is well over his head. Still, the odd person comes by and asks for an autograph and either wishes him well or encourages him for the coming season, or congratulates him for the last. (Too bad that other team won.) He gets up and stands to the side to not bother your conversation. He laughs and cuts up with whomever comes by, asks them their name and how they are doing, and is happy to make fans seem important. He pays for the meal ahead of time, calls a cab, reserves enough of a cab's time to send both of you home, and has to excuse himself before you have finished your meal. It seems that the ordeal on a strong but normal man have had their effect, and he is suffering from a severe migraine that has been building this whole time.

Wyatt calls around and says he'll contact Agent Suarez to make sure the area can be sealed off and the three of you can be given time to rent out drilling equipment (jackhammer, picks, and the like). Of course, two of you have blasty powers; that would be far more efficient than any tools for which none of you really have any skill. It will take a week for everyone to get things together. Wyatt with his general schedule; Sue investigating what she can about the possible whereabouts of Gina Ruiz or her remaining coven; and Eddy and Sue studying what they can from the materials they got from DEMON.
    Spoiler: Magical Items
    Show
    The amulets are each slightly different. They all provide some level of Armor, from 6 PD/ED to 10 PD/ED; they also (usually) have a varying amount of Mental Defense. Some even protect life force energies (Power Defense). The wands, however, are merely conduits for a wielder's own destructive power, which likely vary as do the amulets.
    The time would also have to be on a day off for John Smith. Which, it turns out, is unnecessary. John was fired (three days gone without warning = fired without question) and he's looking for employment so his schedule is open.

Spoiler: Gavin
    Show
    Meanwhile, in Merry Ol', Gavin receives his spear at The Boneyard. What would he like to do with it?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-13 at 03:43 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ain't that just a kick in the head, Sym? Since when is getting abducted by Satanic cultists not a good excuse for missing work?

Spoiler: Blackhawk
    Show
    I would think that my claws would be good at cutting through stuff without explosions and the like and my spacial awareness can see through walls so that will also help.

Austin will look for odd jobs he can do for his neighbors to make a little money for food. I hope this exploration doesn't take so long I am late on the rent! I don't want to have to move again.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel sorry for any man who has to pay for Eddy's breakfasts. Alongside his research with Camelia, Eddy is going to spend his downtime coming up with a solution with more finnese than "Blast wholes in the ground until we find something". This would involve getting in contact with a few earth elementals, reading up on some magical theory, and making Cindy chase a hunk of meat on a string. That last part, not so much, but it is incredibly stress relieving.

Spoiler: VPP: Tunneling
    Show
    Think I can set up a tunneling spell in that time? I'm thinking around 20-30 points real cost, and would have my usual mods (Gestures and Invocations) and RSR, and probably Concentration(Controlling the power) and Takes Time (For setting up the required ritual). It would be slow and powerful, and wouldnt fill in. Sound doable in this time frame?

17. - Top - End - #47

News in major crimes this week. Two known semi-supervillain killers, Missing Link (a gorilla-like man) and Red-Eyes (a viscious killer) broke out of prison a couple weeks ago. Last week, six gorillas from New Detroit Zoo and Botanical Gardens were broken out (resulting in the death of one night guard), which fits Missing Link's m.o. (he seems to have an almost preternatural connection with those apes). On Wednesday (3/26), the two villains (along with their six gorillas) started a robbery-rampage at one of the Beast Planet diner franchises. A tall, muscular man, with his shirt off and wrapped around his head to conceal his identity, confronted the criminals. It turns out this man was incredibly powerful, significantly moreso than the villains. Red-Eyes, easily the toughest to put down, was the last one standing. The unknown hero finished him with a punch that sent him some sailing some 25 yards away. Environmentalists are calling for his head, however, because the gorillas were controlled by a villain. Two of the gorillas were killed, two were critically injured, and two others were in bad shape. Missing Link sustained some injuries, while Red-Eyes also suffered heavier wounds. As police were coming onto the scene (and animal control, since two of the gorillas were still conscious - they were put down with tranquilizers), the man fled the scene, literally, flying up into the air. After reaching a height well above that of the skyline, the police and news helicopters coming on scene lost him as there was a sonic boom and he was gone.

Despite the deaths an injuries of what most agree are innocent gorillas, the battle caused a considerable amount of property damage. Still, many people were saved from villains known for murderous streaks. The hero came from "nowhere, as if he was watching out for our safety already, like some kinda' sentinel ready to protect us." Thanks to that survivor's statement, the press is now dubbing him the Sentinel.
    .................................................. .

Sunday, the day before you guys would get together (at 1 pm, per John's request ... [sunlight]), another report about a super battle is made on the news, this time, with TV coverage. A supervillain calling himself the Metal Monolith robbed a bank, though with some difficulty. Despite powers over metal, it seemed this man made of metal shapes his hands into weapons, and this case he shaped his hands into blades that shredded the vault. By the time he left the bank, police were already on the scene. Their weapons could do nothing, and Metal Monolith toyed with the police cars, turning upside down on the officers, breaking their weapons, and generally causing havoc. A SWAT team was called in and they fired tear gas into his area. That seemed to have an effect, but he went to the SWAT van and carved it up, killing and cursing the team, whose weapons were entirely ineffective (including some kind of bazooka). Metal Monolith then began to crow about how invincible he was compared to normal men.

Enter a new hero, this time calling himself The Sentinel. The Sentinel took some hits but barely seemed to affect Monolith other than knocking him down a few times. Finally, the Sentinel grabbed Monolith. After a brief tussle, the Sentinel spun him around to get momentum like a track and field person doing a hammer throw, and tossed the Metal Monolith more than 30 stories high. The Monolith caused a major crater on impact. The fall seemed to cause no injury, but he was knocked out. The Sentinel quickly ordered an ambulance in to administer general anesthesia, which seemed to keep Metal Monolith sedated. The Sentinel stayed around to help any injured until enough personnel were on the scene to take over. He gave a brief verbal report to the police, which is when he actually identified himself by the name Sentinel before flying away.
    .................................................. ........

On Monday, at the appointed time, you arrive at Simmert Textiles. There is still the damage from mytic rays, the big holes above and out the side. However, instead of the semi-upset ground where the circle was, that spot you were going to begin excavation, there is instead a massive hole. Enough massive debris is scattered about the outside of the hole - some sizeable pieces. There is the sound of rummaging around, which stops when you get near the hole. Slowly out of the hole flies the following figure....
    Spoiler
    Show

Just as choices of destructive magics are being decided, the man goes, "Wait a minute, guys. It's me, Wyatt. Turns out the ritual energies channeled through that dead guy had an effect. Someone I saved referred to me as a 'sentinel,' so that's what the press dubbed me. Sounds like as good a name as any to me. I am super strong, gorillas pounding on me had no effect, and I am heavy, with which my pro training means I am really hard to knock around. Downside ... well, I'm heavy, probably close to a quarter-ton or so. The migraines I had? My eyes. Sharp as an eagle and at long range, which helps when I ... yeah, when I fly, which is faster than a helicopter. And when I really open the throttle .... *BOOM!* .... not only am I flying faster than the speed of sound, but for the hell of it I flew across the country and back in an hour. I really tested myself, and flew around the world. Guess how long it took me? Four hours. I really hope a demon doesn't come for my soul because of this, because it feels great, and I can do so much good. Now I know, Eddy and Sue, how the two of you feel wielding some great abilities."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mr. Winter, I mean Sentinel, your powers are a direct result of the ceremony? You did not have any before that night? Why would DEMON do that unless it is some sort of un-intended consequence of the summoning ceremony. What did you find in the hole? .....sorry I talk fast when I get excited.

Austin hops lightly from foot to foot as he tries to damp down the adrenaline coursing through his body.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eddy sees the costume, but he can't comprehend it. He's speechless. It takes all of his "wizardly" "discipline" not to burst out laughing. Slowly, his face creeps up into a little grin. He starts to say something, then stops. This is a friend, and one who seems very excited about this turn of events, and to deflate him would be lame. He SHOULD be curious as to the possible satanic origins of his powers, but... well, he's more in shock than anything.

"... Well... *cough* This is uh... interesting... uhm... where'd you get the uh.... costume?"

Eddy himself is dressed for heavy work wearing old jeans, an undershirt, and a pair of thick goggles sitting up on his forehead. Which just might illustrate his philosophy on this whole superhero thing.

20. - Top - End - #50

Spoiler: Costumes
    Show
    It's a little too green. I was actually going for Teal-and-Gold. And, yes .... CAPE!! The insignia isn't a star, it's just a placeholder for the Millenium City seal.

As far as Eddy,'s concerned ... "Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel. I shovel very well." - Eddy, MYSTERY MEN

Sentinel shakes his head. "Well, I was always athletically gifted, but with hard work as well. Obviously these powers came as a result of the energy blast. I really doubt the cultists meant for that to happen; I'm sure it had to do with the dying man changing that energy somehow so it wouidn't turn me into a demon or something.

"The thing that does worry me is that my strength might get away from me. I didn't know it yet, and was accidentally breaking things at home. When I came to the rescue of the people at a diner earlier this week, I was reckless. I didn't know my limits and I could've gotten killed but I just wanted to help those people so I used full strength not realizing what would happen. As it is, I needed that power, especially against this villain Red-Eyes, but before I faced them I took down six gorillas. I killed two. I nearly killed two more. The other two were badly injured. When I found out about that, well, I've never felt so terrible in my life. The animals weren't evil, or even criminal. The Missing Link broke them out of the zoo and somehow controlled them to do his bidding. Just because they were dangerous to everyone else and did need to be stopped doesn't excuse me from the fact that I need to be careful next time I hit someone.

"So,"Camellia says, trying not to touch his chest and muscles, "this is a good look. Definitely shows off your guns."

"Come on down and take a look for yourselves, and tell me what you think is out of place." Sentinel says. "With your permission, team, I'll carry you down if you need me to."

The underfloor section is actually a small cafeteria Simmert had for its workers. On one hand, there is no human interaction with which to create "gray dust." On the other hand, there is still some bit of dust simply from the passage of time. There is some dim light coming in from the basement windows.
    "What do you notice that's strange for a factory that was shut down in the '60s?"

John and Sue notice it at the same time. Though Eddy picks it up soon enough as well. 2" away are the walk-in refrigerator/ freezers. The refrigerator, as expected with all other electrical things here, is dead.

The freezer, however, is operating at a low hum. There's a tiny red light (merely to show it's on), and the LED readout shows -12 F. Sentinel goes up to the freezer, turns on the light and says,
    "I already saw what was in there, just looking through the door, but now I want to show you the really weird."

He wrecks the very strong padlock easily enough then opens the door. Inside, there is an extremely thick accumulation of ice from 50 years of freezing. The light inside the ice casts an eerie blue-white glow. There is something in there, frozen in the ice. Amazingly, with Eddy's firefly spell, he can make out what's there: it is a frozen man lying on one of the benches.

Camellia, who seems to be amazingly observant says to Eddy,
    "You see the body, too, huh?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-14 at 06:28 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

John (Austin) turns to Eddy and puts a finger in his mouth pantomime gagging while Camelia gushes over Wyatt.
    who is the Popsicle ?

22. - Top - End - #52

"Well," Wyatt says, "only one way to find out, though you may want to stand back..."

What follows is a display of pure physical power. Not being in any hurry, Wyatt haymakers the block of ice several times, pulverizing it with a few strikes. After that, he breaks the surrounding ice around the body, lifts it, and brings it to one of those metal kitchen counters. "I can't do much from here without ruining whatever evidence might be left behind. Eddy, do your flame powers include low, steady heat or a warm environment?"

Sue says, "That mystic energy I sensed before that bled into the area and has been here long enough to act as holy ground against that devil? Yeah, it's coming from him."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eddy closes his eyes, thinking, flicking his zippo open and closed a couple of times.

"I don't really walk around with something that's usually already taken care of by the sun." He says dryly. "I could hit it with a bunch of very, very low yield blasts, doing just enough to help raise its inner temp... or we could just, yknow, drag it topside and let it sit under the sun."

He is very, very disappointed that he didn't get to try his tunneling spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    To the best of my character's knowledge, would this work? Defrosting the corpse with repeated < 5 ap Firebolts, kinda like how Cindy defrosted the... whatever the hell I gave her from the freezer?

24. - Top - End - #54

With Sentinel's help, the frozen man - who seems to be of middle height with dark hair, beard, jeans, and an odd shirt (hard to tell right now) - is flown up, carried outside, and put in the direct rays of the late March sun (which happens to be in the upper 60s). Because it's 1:10 pm when this happens, there will be a decent amount of sunlight left to go, but no way frosty could defrost without help at this time.

Eddy remembers having put that piece of - was it chicken or pork? - out for Cindy. When he got home, it was partially defrosted, partially charred, and partially eaten.
    Spoiler: Cindy
    Show
    Cindy has a 1-pip RKA, think of a tiny, tiny laser torch. Too much concentration. Speaking of which, Sue just loves little Cindy; at least Cindy cleans herself. (I'm actually typing this while Salem is sitting next to me and loudly bathing himself.)

Sue can use her ch'i powers and connection to water, in concert with a deadly RKA minimized to 1 pip, to act as an ice melter by removing the yin of the water with yang spirit energies. Eddy's firebolt is more of a general form of heat, and he has to "pull his punch" while keeping 5 AP to make sure there is some ambient heat. Every now and 20 minutes, Sue "washes away" the surface and helps widen cracks by changing to her water form and moving about it, like cold water on ice.

Finally, as the sun is setting, you get most of the ice off of the man, and there are only bits of ice here and there on his clothes and matting his hair and beard. His jeans are bell-bottoms, he wears old sneakers, his hair is long and wavy, and his beard is somewhat trim but with finer hairs. His shirt has a V-neck, long sleeves, and a fringe at the bottom, but overall is moderately tie-dyed (not to wild a color mix). He wears a leather vest, a couple of leather necklaces with various crystals, a bangly circlet, and some beads. Everyone notes that he seems to be a mix of Asian and Caucasian, though Sue instantly recognizes that he is specifically of Chinese heritage on his Asian side. He is only 5'6", and weighs in at no more than a hundred pounds at best. The obvious hippie (for the textile factory went out of business in the mid-60s) is a tragic waste of beauty (COM 18) with fine and exotic features and beautiful cheekbones. That said, his body is extremely frail, and it is not cause of death is unknown. On further inspection, Black Hawk and Sue can deduce that he didn't die from being frozen, because his body was stuck in a "reposed" state with thick ice formed in the underarm region. The very weak musculature, such as it is, seems to be even - leaving Sue to believe that the man suffered from longstanding ailment because his body seemed to be used to the weakened form, as compared to odd mixes of sinew atrophy. Sue and Sentinel note that he was obviously engaged in a drug habit, with several track marks on his tiny veins, but not too many to indicate a strong addiction (at least by today's standards). There is a buttoned pocket on his shirt with a glass bottle of pills. The bottle is unmarked, and you have no idea what the pills are.
    Spoiler: Add Tie-Dye
    Show

Finally, you hit pay dirt. In the man's back pocket is a jean wallet with a peace symbol. The wallet contains the following:
    Spoiler: Wallet Contents
    Show
    * An old-style California State Driver's License for Waldecott, Jeremy; xxxx Rd, Modesto CA. DOB: 12/30/1943. Organ Donor: No.
    * A thin key, unknwown purpose, but with the key company listed as "Watchdog."
    * Several black and white photos of a few people who seem like fellow hippies, and a couple color photos. Three of the color photos seem to be a sea of hippies with a riot of colors and designs.
    *** One of the photos has in its forward the man lying before you on a cot with a being treated with some tea, and a bus right behind him that says Wavy Gravy and the Hog Train. On the back it says, "J.W. having afternoon tea following a noontime bad trip. - Lovedancer. (8/15)" Eddy and Austin have to be shown a very minute detail of a cane on the ground next to J.W.'s cot.
    *** Another photo is a picture of a performer in the distance on a stage. "Jimi, Jeremy, + Gin = Love. - Sri Souldropper. (8/18)"
    *** The last photo is that of huge piles of trash debris that are burning in the background, and several people in the foreground - including J..W. supported by friends. They are all smiling with easy and honest smiles. "Jeremy, thank you so much for having your friends help with cleanup. Love, John Roberts, Artie Kornfeld, Cheryl Athams, Lovedancer, Souldropper, Groovefriend, and the gang. (8/23)"
    *** A small piece of paper, with two verses of a moderately well-written love poem, signed by Cheryl Athams.
    *** $42.73 cash. All of the bills and coins have an issue date of 1968 or earlier. Except a single dime, the smallest coin. Sue's perceptiveness and Sentinel's eyes note that the dime has an issue date of 1973.

As the group is poring over these interesting clues of the past, there is a voice next to you on the ground.

"Oh, wow, man," he says veryweakly in a mildly British accent. "Was I having or bad trip or what? I can't even remember ...... anything."

He's eyes seem to be lolling around on a head that seems not the strength to move."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Holy hang-over, Batman! This guy really must have the munchies Sym.

26. - Top - End - #56

"You're a crazy looking bunch of cats," he says, his throat somewhat dry from dehydration. He still isn't able to fully swivel his body he's too weak. "You are all beautiful people with incredible auras.

"Let me see, your tattoos alone remind me of fire. Lots of fire attacks, a limited form of flight, some protection, and a powerful soul-furnace to keep it all running.

"You, pretty bird, you have a lot of life force magic that deals with killing and hurting people, when you should be learning more about love; but you also have some groovy abilities like banishing someone on different planes, turning to water, and filling a dying body with ch'i energy to heal them. That's where it's at, baby.

"I don't get a sense anything on you, but you look muscular enough I can guess; one could think you're just really strong, but I have this sense with the others I don't have with you - it's like you are so dense I can't read you.

"Lastly, you are the craziest cat of them all. The others have auras I can sense or can make out. You've got something in your lungs, man, I sense the vibrations ... and it's alive, man, with little tendrils throughout your body. But you already knew that, because you aren't breathing, your pulse is is 175, and your blood pressure is at perfect. Like, no variance in diastolic vs. systolic or a variance in pulse. I don't doubt you have an incredible metabolism, baby, and your body is enhanced. What are you? Do you come from outer space? or, from another dimension?"

Camellia looks at Austin. "I don't know how Mr. Waldecott was able to break it down, but I already knew. I sensed what I'm guessing is some type of symbiote, unless it's feeding on you in which case it's a parasite, and I used my ch'i powers and looked at you and saw something there filling your lungs. That's when I noticed you don't breathe."

Wyatt nods and says, "I also was able to see through you today, Austin John; one of my new gifts. At first I thought it was something horrible like lung cancer. I dunno', I'm not a doctor, but then it moved strangely and it's had me curious but we've been too busy helping the newly-revived, somehow-survived J-Dub to pay too much more attention. So, what does that mean? Are you some bizarrely afflicted man with tar in his lungs who has the ability to win a world record for holding one's breath? I would ask why you didn't trust us, but I guess you are running from something or someone ....... John ... Smith."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With a sheepish grin, Austin says;
    I guess it's time to come out and say hi Sym.
    Austin flashes the live long and prosper Vulcan hand sign (original Trek is the best) and shiny black stuff erupts out of his mouth quickly covering his body. Austin's head grows bulbous , his neck extends and his right index finger glows bright green. Austin hold the ET pose before Sym quickly whips back into his mouth.

Sorry, can't really hear too well with Sym out. I can do a great Wolverine impersonation too!
    I am not the person I used to be anymore. He's dead. John Smith will do or you can call me BLACKHAWK. I would appreciate you all not mentioning any of this to Agent Whisper. I had a run in with the Law a while ago and I am trying to keep a low profile.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2014-04-15 at 06:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

After Gavin lands in England, he calls the Boneyard.

"Miss McGillicuddy, I have arrived and am waiting for customs to clear some freight. By the time you arrive to pick me up, they should be finished."

"I will be there expeditiously. Your niece and nephew will be pleased to see you, sir."

"That reminds me... I need to purchase some chocolate for Allistair and Samantha."

After hanging up, Gavin finds the nearest chocolate shop and purchases some. Returning just in time as customs finish up and Miss McGillicuddy pulls up with the car. She gets out of the car and walks around to the rear car door, opens the car door, and 2 young children come flying out of the back seat yelling, "Uncle, Gavin! Uncle, Gavin!" and proceed to give him a great big hug. Gavin returns the hug.

"It's good to see you two again.

Gavin surprises them with the chocolate and while catching up with them, Miss McGillicuddy supervises the crate being secured to the car. Once ready, they depart for the estate.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Gavin unpacks the spear and takes it to his carbon dating lab to see if he can determine how old the spear actually is. Once he gets an idea of how old the spear is, he will consult hist library to see if he can find out more about the spear and hopefully figure out why the man said to protect the spear.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler: Name Game
    Show
    Yeah, see edit above, sorry. Wyatt, of course, doesn't know. My bad. Obviously, the please edit your response so I know what you actually said, please...

P.S.: Thank you SO much for defining your name as one word, vice two. It just makes so much more sense.

"Well," says Wyatt, "I definitely intend to keep this a secret. Obviously, the rest of you know. Sentinel in costume, or as a reference, and Wyatt outside of that."

"Me, too," says Sue. "I'll want to get a costume and call myself Camellia, or things might become difficult for me as Ueda Kotone Tsubaki, Private Eye. Well, Tsubaki Ueda in America. And, John? Please warn us the next time you vomit your ... friend. I deal with some strange forces and I'm used to handling ugly spirits and ghosts, but that was revolting. No offense, please."

Listening to the whole exchange, the man on the ground says. "Right. Wyatt = Sentinel. John = Blackhawk. Ueda Kotone Tsubaki, profession private detective = Camellia. And who are you with the crazy tattoos?

"Also, what happened to me, and why am I all wet and lying on the ground at dusk or dawn outside an abandoned factory? Not to be a nudge, but can someone please right me? I am feeling very shaky right now."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-04-15 at 04:42 PM.
    Show