New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default To Serve All My Days {Exalted 2e}

The high heat of summer beats down upon the Blessed Isle. As is customary, the Prefecture of the Imperial Order has sent its Immaculate Monks upon their yearly pilgramages to attend to the tributes to the Gods necessary for the continued survival of the crops grown in the outer holdings of the Realm.

In the port city of Vaniton, you each awaken to a day that is already hot by Imperial standards. Ships are beginning to depart in the distance, and the noise from the docks is already a meddling buzz that energizes the noise of life in the city.

As you each head to breakfast, a young messenger comes in, bearing a message written in a neat hand upon a roll of tightly curled fine parchment.

Breaking the seal, a golden disc, you read the following message.

My friend,

I have at long last found you. I have searched for a very long time, and at last I feel I have found what we have long sought. It has been a long time since we have met, and now, at long last we have the opportunity to recover what we have lost long ago.

Meet me in the valley south of the Imperial Mountain.

We have much to discuss in light of the nature of our past relationship.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Serve All My Days {Exalted 2e}

Mekana looked at the letter with suspicion. Vague mentioning of something lost. Referring to him as a "friend", telling him to meet in a remote location, discussion about a past relationship. Sounds a lot like some of his clients with high risk jobs who were professional and actually good at surviving to give him them more than once. Only the seal told him that this was...more. This could potentially be one of.....the Others. There is no one else crazy enough to put that kind of seal on a letter in this day and age. This could be his chance to get something done.

Or, Immaculate Trap.

The seal after all, was perfectly capable of forged by the Dragon-Blooded to make him think this was real. Paranoid? yes. But a wise man once said it isn't paranoia if they really were out to get you.

Especially when your living on their personal continent. You didn't live long as a criminal by being trusting. He went about his business as usual, eating breakfast then exiting the building as normally as he could. He decides to go anyways.
    "No sense in not checking this out. Could be worth my time either way."
    He muttered to himself, making his way with caution.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Demus thanks the messenger and opens the letter, scanning it briefly before putting it back down. He runs a calloused hand through his short, dark hair, thinking over the message. Few people in all Creation knew his true nature, and most of them were his family. It could possibly be a trap, but he had enough optimism left to think that his family wouldn't sell him out. And besides, they had no idea where he was. He could be in Chiaroscuro for all they knew.

Somehow, the handwriting seemed familiar. As if from a half-remembered dream. He resigned himself to at least check it out. If all else failed, he could talk his way out. Though he made sure to bring along his Cleaver, just in case things went South.

He stood up, and started off towards the port.
    "What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!
    Previous Avatar by Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looking over the letter, Jin was thankful that one of his past incarnations had apparently learned to read at some point. Of all the changes that had come to him since his Exaltation, the memories were the strangest to adjust to. Just a month or two ago, he never would have imagined that he would be standing here, so far from home, thinking about past lives as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
    The letter made him uneasy on principle. What kind of man did business through writing, without showing you his face? An untrustworthy one, to be sure. And yet...something about it seemed familiar, as though from a dream he had once had but forgotten the details of. And besides, what had he to fear from this? No-one outside his home knew that he was a Solar, unless word had somehow traveled this far before he had, which didn't seem possible. And even if it was a trap somehow, he was more than capable of defeating whoever was responsible.
    Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! he decided, and set off for the described meeting place, wondering what to expect.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2014-03-20 at 06:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

As Demus nears the port, the din of commerce becomes a drone, then a cacophony. Being near ports most of his adult life, the noise doesn't bother him at all. Avoiding the hustle and bustle of the various ship's crews conducting their business, he finds his crew lounging about near a fish dealer.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Looking over the letter, Jin was thankful that one of his past incarnations had apparently learned to read at some point. Of all the changes that had come to him since his Exaltation, the memories were the strangest to adjust to. Just a month or two ago, he never would have imagined that he would be standing here, so far from home, thinking about past lives as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
    The letter made him uneasy on principle. What kind of man did business through writing, without showing you his face? An untrustworthy one, to be sure. And yet...something about it seemed familiar, as though from a dream he had once had but forgotten the details of. And besides, what had he to fear from this? No-one outside his home knew that he was a Solar, unless word had somehow traveled this far before he had, which didn't seem possible. And even if it was a trap somehow, he was more than capable of defeating whoever was responsible.
    Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! he decided, and set off for the described meeting place, wondering what to expect.
    Mekana notices that someone is heading the same way as him. He inconspicuously turns down another path in the road, then soon doubles back so that he is then walking behind Jin the same way he is going. If Jin really was going the same way, then he might be a part of the trap, or if he isn't, then he will serve as someone to spring it first, hopefully. If he is an ordinary mortal that just happens to be walking along most of the path and will go a different direction at some point, then there will be no worries about his safety. Given the probabilities, Mekana figured that this guy was just a mortal who will soon head somewhere else anyways, walking behind so that another guy goes first was just a precaution.

And if he was an ordinary mortal who springs the trap? well thats what a bow of legend was for...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Demus walks over to the fish dealer's stall, his nose wrinkled at the smell. He calls out to his crew "Let's wrap it up! We're shipping out." He gathers them up and walks onto the deck of his ship, barking out orders as he finds his helmsman.

"Kaifeng, get us as close to the Imperial Mountain as you can. I've some business in the valley with... an old friend." He leaves it at that. The less the crew knows, the better. They're used to that arrangement, as they know that if they don't know what exactly he's up to when he's attending to private Solar business, they can't sell him out to the Wyld Hunt should the Immaculates come calling.

He stands on the deck, a small smile on his face, waiting to set sail.
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The travel is slow for Jin and Mekana, and after you leave the city, you soon realize that both of you are heading the same direction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your ship sets off, rowing upriver. The travel is slow and languorous, but still faster than walking.

Soon, the city is just a large blur, and then it disappears altogether as you enter into a forest heading inland.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

He is heading in the same direction. Suspicious. As the hours wear along, the silence becomes uncomfortable and Mekana just has to talk. Who knows? he might learn something about this man
    "So...we seem to heading the same direction."
    He said to Jin.
    "I guess if we are going to travel this far along the same path, I might as well introduce myself. My name is Mekana Tajira, and I guess you could say I'm a traveling hunter."
    He extended his hand as if to shake to Jin.
    "What is your name, might I ask?"

10. - Top - End - #10

Jin starts a little as he noticed the stranger. "Ah, evening to you! Hadn't realized you were back there!" He grins and takes the stranger's hand, shaking it vigorously. "My name, you ask? You, sir, have the honor of addressing the mighty Akame Jin, fearless warrior and hero in the making! Get used to hearing it, because everyone will be telling tales of me soon!" He strikes his best heroic pose and laughs. "Now, where might you be going this fine evening, might I ask? If we are heading the same way, then no sense walking alone, is there?"
    Last edited by Amaril; 2014-04-01 at 02:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hero? Ok. He seems to be delusional. But then again, he seems to be strong, or at least a good warning system in case of an attack: when he dies, his death cry will be the warning to run.
    "It is...an honor indeed to meet you, Jin. I am headed towards a valley south of the Imperial Mountain."
    No use challenging his delusion. Or maybe its a facade for some Immaculate spy? Perhaps they sent one of their newbies and they think this is how all Anathema talk or something. Either best to play along for now.
    "No, Most Honorable Jin. No sense at all in walking alone. And what destination does a great hero such as yourself hope to arrive at along this road?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Before Jin could answer, a flash of silver light arcs down from the heavens. The light is followed by an explosion that shakes the ground.

Aboard the ship, Demus sees the light, and waves lap up over the deck of the boat.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Thankfully, Mekana is paranoid and very on acting on reflex. As if like a sixth sense, his head suddenly whips up, sees it and suddenly on complete reflex he jumps backwards faster than naturally possible, away from the beam of silver light while drawing his bow, skidding to halt he looks up into the sky. What in Malfeas was that!? Was it some Immaculate Order weapon? No that wasn't their style. Dynast with some powerful relic he found? Or if its silver....and coming from the sky.....no....he discarded the possibility that Luna herself was trying to kill him. If that was true, he would've already be dead by now. So...who just tried to kill him?
    "....What...was that? Hey Jin, O' Fearless Warrior, How about you go check it out first, I'll be right behind you."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-04-03 at 01:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Demus shouts in surprise, and starts barking orders to his crew, ordering them forward.

"Whatever it was, there might be people hurt. We should go see if we can help them. My "old friend" can wait." He sets his jaw and scowls slightly, wondering what could possibly have done this. An angry god, maybe. Or a powerful Sorcerer. Maybe even a strange natural disaster. Whatever it was, he hoped that he would be able to face it, if it remained hostile.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Jin lowered his arm from over his eyes as the silver light faded. Now what in the name of all the gods was that? He'd never seen or even heard of any weapon that could do that, if indeed a weapon it was...or perhaps magic of some sort? Well, he'd soon sort it out.
    He strode towards the spot where the blast had hit, hefting his hammer and drawing his blade as he went. "Hey, hey, hey! What's all this about, then? You've got some nerve, attacking me without showing your face! Come out here and show me what you've got!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

From the impact site, a woman strides forward. Her long robes flow behind her the ends fluttering and snapping as she walks.

When she is twenty yards away, she stops and looks at both of you. When she speaks, her voice sings in your ears, honeyed and sweet.

We must yet wait. There is one other I must speak with.

At that she moves over to the stump of a dead tree that looks so much like a chair, that you think it must have been grown that way.

Minutes later, Demus arrives to see the strange group waiting for something.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What the Malfeas? This woman was already suspicious. He kept his bow trained on her.
    "What is going on here? I don't know who you are, but this is all very suspicious to me. and even if this isn't a trap, there is no way we were the only ones who saw the light. But I think I know what this is about....or at least I think I know what its about with me, the other two I'm guessing its a similar situation, but who knows?"
    Woman of great power plus Anathema/Solar status equaled something having to do with his Solar nature. Not hard math to do. Question was, what about the other two? He keeps his wording vague. Always approach with caution...you'd be an idiot not to do so...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

She just smiles, her perfect ruby lips parting to reveal white teeth.

Just wait, my child. All shall be revealed to you.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #19

Jin watches in confusion at the woman's appearance for a moment before managing to get his head back on his shoulders. "Well," he says to her as he sheathes his daiklave, "if you're not here to cause problems, at least, then I guess I should apologize for drawing weapons on you. Sorry about that, sweetheart. Although a less explodey entrance might have helped."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The woman laughs. A deep, throaty, rich laugh that is as alluring as she is.

I never said I wasn't here to cause trouble. Though that really depends on you.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Demus runs down the gangplank, and arrives at the scene... It's most definitely not what he expected.

"What's all this, then? Who are you people?"

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Good. You are here. The woman stands up, her robes flowing around her, revealing the shape of her form for each of you to see.

My name is Lotus. And I have come here to warn you to turn from the path you are on. Along this path lies only fear and misery, hate and death.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #23

"The path I'm on?" Is she telling me to abandon my fight? Jin shifts his grip on his hammer and steps closer. "Listen, darling, I don't know what it is you think I'm up to, but I've got news for you: nobody tells me what I shouldn't be doing. Not now, not ever. So unless you have something else to discuss, I for one am done here."
    Last edited by Amaril; 2014-04-03 at 03:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

No, child. I warn you of what is to come should you all continue along the path you are all on. The stars have spoken, your fate is certain should you continue. Others would try to stop you. I will not. I merely speak to you of what I have seen in the stars.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

"And why should we believe you? How do you even know who we are, or what we're up to?"

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"....What kind of path do you mean? Do mean to turn aside from our literal path, or our figurative paths of life? Do you mean if we keep going down the road we WILL find a trap, or if we keep going down our FIGURATIVE roads we will find hate and death? Seen in the stars...well that figures. I've met thaumaturges who claimed the same. Didn't believe them until one said I would "Succeed so much that I would Fail." and turned out to be right. Cryptic thaumaturges, always acting as if they know everything and telling nothing...I'm guessing your like a thaumaturge then? Read the stars type, will be incredibly vague no matter what I ask? Ok, what do the stars say about the two men in front of me who you are also speaking to you, do they have any specific importance?"
    He keeps his bow trained on Lotus. Never hurts to play it safe.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-04-03 at 04:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Three paths. Three choices. Three chosen of the Unconquered Sun. Yes. I know what you are. But the stars align against you. Come the Calibration, this world will forever change. Be you on the path of Destruction? Or the path of Salvation? Walk either path, and Fate stands against you. Walk the narrow path, the path of Remaining, and Fate is uncertain.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28

"Well, Mekana is right--you are just being cryptic on purpose" Jin says with a smirk. "And I don't give a damn about what Fate says. My only fate is the one I make for myself."A thought strikes him, and he turns to the other two. "Is she telling the truth, though? About you two also being Solars?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Mekana considered this. She already knew and revealed it. He saw no point in lying about his nature. Especially if they were allies against the Dynasts. His chances of survival were better in numbers.
    "Yes. I am one of the Solar Exalted. I try not to advertise that though. As for the Paths....Destruction, Salvation, Remaining....or Screw It. Question is, which one is which? Do they mean Revenge, Justice and Survival? Like we could choose to do things destructively and violently or something, or do things in an attempt to be virtuous or something and both paths would be hard, or we could just try to survive and the future would be uncertain?"
    Thats the thing about thaumaturge star-reading: its all about interpretations and hoping said interpretations were the right ones. Problem is, there is no guarantee you had the right interpretation and if you didn't, you ended up being screwed over because of it. but then again this is cryptic and vague he doubted he could interpret anything useful from it anyways. She might as well have said nothing, because he still has no idea what to do. Talking about all this in an airy abstract sense of paths was useless when a single path can go many places and destinations, they could be Remaining one moment then Salvation another, then Destruction the next. and that is assuming they don't just choose Screw It as Jin suggested.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, yes, Mekana. Lotus purrs. They have a very personal importance to you. As does the one you are to meet in the valley of the Hidden Manse. And you, Jin. Your Fate has already been woven into the Loom. I give you the chance to change it now. Do not scoff at it.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!