New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [PF]optimization for kingmaker

I'm joining a kingmaker game and decided to go for a tactician cause it complements the part quite well (they have a lot of fighter types) and no int based character. Since I basically play a supporter I have no problem with optimising the **** out of the class because every power increase basically boosts the power of everybody.

For those who don't know the class here is the link: tactician

My stats before racials: 17 15 15 14 10 10.
    2 traits (reactionary is a must)
    start level 4

It's also good to know that we play the kingmaker campaign with evil characters building an empire of pain for asmodeus.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: [PF]optimization for kingmaker

Well, the best thing I can suggest is to all play high charisma classes and be a king and his multiple wives and co-rulers of equal station. Call yourselves the council of evil. This allows you to all stack up a massive modifier to kingdom building. Whip the serfs into ludicrously high production and rule with an iron fist!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Well, the best thing I can suggest is to all play high charisma classes and be a king and his multiple wives and co-rulers of equal station. Call yourselves the council of evil. This allows you to all stack up a massive modifier to kingdom building. Whip the serfs into ludicrously high production and rule with an iron fist!
    Yeah I planned on making charisma my second highest stat. Something like 10 15 14 20 (attribute raise 2 from elan 1 from level 4) 10 15 (raising to 16 at level 8). The rest of my group is: magus/rogue, monk, zen archer, master summoner, cleric, dragonrider (3rd party) ... The summoner, dragon rider and cleric all have decent charisma.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

Stacking on as many rules as possible is the best idea. It is hilariously the only slot that allows for multiple people to fill it at the same time. You want to fill as many slots as possible for stacking charisma bonuses to various things.

5. - Top - End - #5

Stacking on as many rules as possible is the best idea. It is hilariously the only slot that allows for multiple people to fill it at the same time. You want to fill as many slots as possible for stacking charisma bonuses to various things.
    Thanks that are some good suggestions! I'm looking mainly for characteroptimization though so general suggestions, feats, traits, powers to pick, archetypes, etc etc

6. - Top - End - #6

Ok since I've not gotten so many responses I decided to build the char to the best of my ability:

Race Elan
    level 4 Tactician
    -attributes: str 10 dex 15 con 14 int 20 wis 10 cha 15 (will be raised to 16 at level 8)
    -feats: Psionic Talent (free), Psicrystal Affinity, Expanded Knowledge (Vigor)
    -skills: maxed diplomacy, perception, Linguistics, UMD, Knowledge (History), spread points otherwise
    -traits: Reactionary, Armor Expert
    -Favoured Class Bonus: Extra Powerpoints
    -Powers known (33 pp/day): Vigor, Unearthly Terror, Entangling Debris, Share Pain, Detect Hostile Intend
    -Strategy (8/day): Collective Defense
    -Gear: Mithralbreastplate, otherwise pretty regular stuff

Any thoughts? I'm not sure about investing a feat into Vigor but the combination with Share Pain is just devastating surviveability but then again I'm not sure on how much I'm gonna need it because I'll rarely be in the frontlines of the fight.
    I could also change the powers known. I'm not yet sure about them.

Generally I plan on spending my feats on further EK to get more flexibility. A blasting spell, flight, schism, psychic reformation all come to mind.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The commander tacticianarchetype is fun at 12th for getting a thrall from an unwilling participant, but that's pretty late for kingmaker. I've never really figured out what to do with a tactician myself, so I can't be much more help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

honestly with the master summoner, you really have no need for the rest of your party. not joking. So I would stack up on anything that helps people from range and let the summoner take care of most encounters. You may need a tank, so try to focus on keeping one person's AC through the roof.

Other than that try to get some noncombat stuff to do otherwise kingdom making time will be boring as hell. I like the concept but it gets monotonous real fast. Our paladin power gamed it and by the rules our kingdom could easily wipe out any others if it came to that. Grab leadership and make yourself a guild in your off time to get some extra cash flow. Grab a craft feat or two and the party will love you for it.

I am currently at the end of the KM campaign, last adventure more than 50% done with it. We have a Master Summoner, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, and Ranger (me). Between me and the monk we usually drop single targets easily but the master summoner could easily handle most encounters by himself and actually has on a few occasions. We are a full 2 levels lower than we should be and most encounters are a breeze. Things were a little rough in the begining but there is always lots of downtime and only maybe 1/8 tiles will give a wandering battle so you have plenty of time to heal up.overall have fun and get some things to do in downtime and at range.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9

Thanks for the suggestions! The reason I didn't pick the commander archetype is because the real draw comes online so late and I don't have the wisdom to pick psionic meditation and make unwilling participant a feasible strategy to use. Also loosing coordinated strike hurts.

I figured the oocombat needs some love in kingmaker and a super intelligent tactician seems like a good choice for that ... especially for a general type of character. In fight my objective is buffing of course ... With coordinated defense I can buff the ac of everyone in my collective by 5 for 2 rounds ... 8 times per day. Later I want to grab some blasting with ek (energy ball mainly) and otherwise focus on cc power wise with some buffs thrown in.

Again I'm not sure if I will actually need vigor but with vigor, share pain and coordinated defense I'll be extremely durable and my group as well (basically +5 ac for everyone).

Leadership seems like an obvious choice so I'll give it a good look ... probably even a dip into thrall herd but it would slow my tactician progression down significantly.

Anyways if you have more suggestions keep them coming. I'm not yet done with bringing the character into the game so I still can change things or even make another character.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

One thought, and this was based on a vitalist I was playing at one point, is to use unwilling participant and network power to auto dominate someone.

Unwilling participant treats them as willing for network powers. Network power metapsionic treats control mind as a network power. The combination makes the initial save an autofail for anyone forced into your collective, acting as a sure fire dominate for 1 day.

I didn't mention it before because it doesn't come online until 8-9th level or so, and then you need to boost your manifester level quite a bit. It takes a ML of 11 to pull this off, and three feats. A psicrystal staff will give you +2, and overchannel will grant another 2, so lets say 7th level minimum, but those require another 2 feats.

11. - Top - End - #11

One thought, and this was based on a vitalist I was playing at one point, is to use unwilling participant and network power to auto dominate someone.

Unwilling participant treats them as willing for network powers. Network power metapsionic treats control mind as a network power. The combination makes the initial save an autofail for anyone forced into your collective, acting as a sure fire dominate for 1 day.

I didn't mention it before because it doesn't come online until 8-9th level or so, and then you need to boost your manifester level quite a bit. It takes a ML of 11 to pull this off, and three feats. A psicrystal staff will give you +2, and overchannel will grant another 2, so lets say 7th level minimum, but those require another 2 feats.
    This works neither for vitalists nor for tacticians sadly because even with the metapsionic feat only powers with a target of "you" and a range of "personal" get the network descriptor. All offensive spells (including mind control) don't full fill even one of those.
    Network power is only good for using buffspells you couldn't share otherwise (like vigor for example).

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

I missed that part of the feat. That does put a damper on my plans for said character.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold