New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Fighting Men

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Fighting Men

Ok, thought.

I don't like how week fighters are, and I think rogues could use a boost as well.

So I want to see what would happen if we rolled them into one class.

Lets say the following.

Fightingman

D10 HD
    Good Fort and Ref save
    Full bab
    Feats as a fighter
    Skills - All fighter and rogue class skills, 8+int per level
    Evasion at 2nd level, works in light armor OR in heavier armor so long as the fighting man is wielding a heavy shield.
    Physical mastery - At 3rd level and every 4th level after that you gain a +1 bonus to all strength OR dex based skill checks and ability checks. At 5th and every 4 levels after that you gain the bonus to the stat you didn't choose.

New Feat
    Sneak Attack
    Prereqs
    Fighter 2
    Effect
    Anytime you catch your opponent off guard you deal an extra 1d6 damage. The effects any opponent denied their dex bonus to AC or opponents you flank.
    You can take this feat multiple times. The extra damage stacks. Each time you do, the required fighter levels increase by 2.

This is the heroic fighting person we see so commonly in stories. This is Conan and the prince of Persia all in one.

So, what tier do you think this ends up in, and how would you use it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fighting Men

A few nitpicks:

The way your Evasion works is inelegant. Just give him Mettle instead, or say that Evasion works up to Medium armor.

"Physical mastery" is underwhelming at best. Just leave him with Uncanny Dodge/Imp. Uncanny Dodge

Sneak Attack- I see no problem with just giving this class full Rogue Sneak Attack, if as you said the goal is to combine the two classes into something more powerful than the base classes.

Then the only thing missing from the two base classes would be Trapfinding/Trap Sense.... which I've never actually seen used (my DMs don't really use traps and neither do I, so that might just be my experience).

As for tier... it probably ends up high T4 or low T3. Frankly there's nothing exceptional about this character. He's just really well rounded, and can semi-specialize his skills to be pretty decent at some out of combat stuff (ie- Stealth or Social skills).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The swift ambusher just got a whole lot more attractive! My first thoughts on seeing this class

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Neat. I like the fighter/rogue gestalt for boosting martial characters in 3.5. For your class, I'd recommend good Will saves too.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely keep Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge. Also include the Zhentarim Soldier benefits, as well as Dungeoncrasher. For a very rough example...

HP: d10
    Saves: Good Fort and Reflex
    Proficiencies: Fighter and Rogue combined
    Skills: Fighter and Rogue combined, 8+int per level
    Class Features:
    1. Bonus Feat, Combat Advantage, Trapfinding
    2. Bonus Feat, Resilient
    3. Natural Bully, Dungeoncrasher
    4. Bonus Feat, Uncanny Dodge
    5. Natural Bully, Improved Flanking
    6. Bonus Feat
    7. Dungeoncrasher
    8. Bonus Feat, Improved Uncanny Dodge
    9. Natural Bully
    10. Bonus Feat
    11. Special Ability
    12. Bonus Feat
    13. Improved Flanking
    14. Bonus Feat
    15. Special Ability
    16. Bonus Feat
    17. Improved Flanking
    18. Bonus Feat
    19. Special Ability
    20. Bonus Feat

Bonus Feats: As Fighter.

Combat Advantage (Ex): Replaces Sneak Attack; add your class level to damage rolls when attacking a flanked or flat-footed opponent. It carries all the same limitations of Sneak Attack but it works on any type of creature, immunity to crits/sneak attack doesn't apply. Counts as Sneak Attack of 1/4 as many dice (4th+ level counts as 1d6, 8th+ level counts as 2d6) for prerequisites.

Resilient: Gain your choice of Evasion (as the Rogue ability) or Mettle (as the Hexblade ability).

Dungeoncrasher: As the Fighter 2 ACF at 3rd level, and as the Fighter 6 ACF at 7th level.

Natural Bully: As the Zhentarim Soldier benefits; Gain Skill Focus: Intimidate at 3rd, Extended Intimidation at 5th, and Swift Demoralization at 9th.

Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge: As the Rogue ability.

Improved Flanking: At 5th level, you gain a +3 to attack rolls to hit a flanked opponent instead of the normal +2. At 13th level, if both you and an ally are adjacent to the same creature, both of you gain the benefit for flanking that opponent, per the Island of Blades stance. At 17th level, this is extended to any opponents that both you and an ally are threatening, and allies who are flanking with you also gain a +3 to attack instead of the normal +2.

Special Ability: As the Rogue class feature, but add Evasion (as the Rogue ability, Improved Evasion requires Evasion), Mettle (as the Hexblade ability), Spell Reflection (ACF in CM), Breathstealer (ACF in Dragon Magic), and Uncanny Bravery (ACF in Dragon Magic). ACFs added to the list do not cause you to lose any other class features, you simply spend a special ability instead of the standard class feature it would have cost to gain its benefits.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Couldn't you just gestalt a rogue/fighter?
    Last edited by 12owlbears; 2014-03-20 at 04:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'd call it high T4, since there's still a large amount of the game that a Fighting Man couldn't meaningfully interact with.

As for what I'd do with it? I'd cast Charm Monster on it, thanks to its innate low Will save and likely need to prioritize STR, DEX, and CON (possibly INT and CHA) above WIS, and have a pet.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show