New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Hogwarts School of Sneaking and Trickery IC

The Dark Lord has risen again. Last year it was easy for many to return to the safety of Hogwarts. This year is different. Dumbledore is gone and Snape has taken over the school which makes people uneasy. No one on either side of the war feels completely confident that Snape can be trusted. Perhaps that makes him best for the job. Whatever your feelings are, it is obvious things have changed this year.

As you approach platform 9 3/4 you see that it is surrounded by a number of families. All are clearly wizards. Some of them you recognize, some you do not. There are whispers from the outer edges of the crowd saying "it's been closed." They are quickly quieted by the center of the crowd near the entrance. You soon are aware that only one student is aloud through at a time and there is something going on just on the other side. For now all there is to do is wait for your turn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hogwarts School of Sneaking and Trickery IC

Justin Macmillan
    Justin followed his elder brother to the small gathering of students between platforms 9 and 10. There was no telling what might happen, what with everything that had been going on. He wasn't sure who had been made prefect, but it had not been him, a point Ernie, who had been prefect in his 5th year, had been sure to emphasize over the past few weeks.

He looked around for anyone he knew, either from the quidditch pitch or from the DA the year before.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Alexa Rowle

Alexa stepped forward nervously, intensely aware of the two people who shadowed her on her approach to platform 9 and 3/4. Her mother smiled just as she would have before, and her dad looked affable enough, but neither of them were really who they should have been.

The crowd ahead of her drew her attention and she stepped into line uncomfortably, awaiting whatever was happening: she had a good idea that Hogwarts would not be the same this year. She made no effort to grab the attention of anyone around her, and simply stood there, face bowed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

"Off to a great start" I think to myself. It is bad enough I have to go to Hogwarts this year, but the "new" ministry mandated all children must attend Hogwarts rather than continuing their education elsewhere. A fairly minor decree issued by a genocidal maniac, which is ticking me off.

"I miss uncle Garrick" I think for the umpteenth time. "It has been more than a year. Wow. I may never get over this. He is probably dead. Hopefully. It is probably the best case scenario. I hope he is okay." I clutch onto my silver amulet, bearing the Ollivander crest, for strength. It has been my source for strength for some time now, a reminder of my lineage, of my responsibility to carry on with poise and pride and of my uncle, who held it before me.

I push ahead, keeping an eye out for anyone I might know, for good or for ill.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: Take ten. (1d20+1)[17]
    ^^oops, accidentally rolled.
    Last edited by VestigeArcanist; 2014-03-21 at 07:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

WhiteWizardGirl

Antimony Jigger
    Antimony wheels her trunk over to her housemates as Wilbur (her toad) croaks mournfully from a coat pocket. "Hiya, Justin, Ernie. Any idea why they have us going through one at a time? Or where Johnny got off to, for that matter?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Justin Macmillan

"Dunno," Justin replied, "can't really get a good look from back here. Want to move in for a closer look?"
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spot Check
    Show
    I'm not really sure how to answer such a general one. You would likely recognize most students. Some specific ones that I will say are not there are any of the big ones from the books. Other than that, you can create any npcs or anything you would like to be there. If your character is familiar with the other PCs, you easily spot all of them.

Slowly the crowd dwindles down. Every few minutes a man or woman (if you pay close attention, you realize they seem to have a rotation of about seven different men/women) will come through the portal with a keyboard and pick (what may or not be) a random student from the crowd to come through. Their families are not allowed. Even siblings who are both attending are called individually.

While you wait for your turn, the Malfoys arrive. They are welcomed through (family and all) with open arms, clearly not having to put up with the same rule changes as everyone else.

Each of you are brought through individually. You are all pretty close together in when you are chosen. Ernie, however is not chosen yet when you all enter.

Once you are through to the platform, you are taken to a special cubical that has been set up where you are each welcomed by a rather high profile figure.
    Johnny-Lucius Malfoy
    Justin-Alecto Carrow
    Antimony-Delores Umbridge
    Alexa-Amycus Carrow

When you enter the cubicle with your individual (alleged) Death Eater (or supporter), you are greeted with a smirk as they ask you to sit down in a chair across the table from them. They then stand and hand you a small vial. "It is a truth potion. We must have a... discussion before you are allowed to return to school. Its all just part of the new rules. I hope you understand."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

<Internal Monologue>This isn't good. How can I get out of this? Magic probably. Going for my wand would be dangerous. Or maybe I can do something more clever. Unless this isn't that bad at all. Hmmm.</Internal Monologue>

Spoiler
    Show
    Peer into the Moment DC 20, +5 to see an extra minute further, +5 to see why the decision is good, bad or neutral.

If I take the truth potion and answer Mr. Malfoy's questions.

Take ten for 31.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Justin Macmillan

"I'm a full blood wizard with family history dating back centuries," Justin replied, "one of the sacred twenty-eight."

"I was told the Ministry has made attendance at Hogwarts mandatory for wizards like us," he continued, accentuating the 'us' as to indicate both himself and Carrow, "is this really necessary?"
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Johnny
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VestigeArcanist View Post
    Johnny Ollivander

<Internal Monologue>This isn't good. How can I get out of this? Magic probably. Going for my wand would be dangerous. Or maybe I can do something more clever. Unless this isn't that bad at all. Hmmm.</Internal Monologue>

Spoiler
    Show
    Peer into the Moment DC 20, +5 to see an extra minute further, +5 to see why the decision is good, bad or neutral.

If I take the truth potion and answer Mr. Malfoy's questions.

Take ten for 31.
    Taking the potion will have a neutral action... you discover yours is not a truth potion.
    Being honest with him however you see as a good action, he has information to share with you.

Spoiler: Justin
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Justin Macmillan

"I'm a full blood wizard with family history dating back centuries," Justin replied, "one of the sacred twenty-eight."

"I was told the Ministry has made attendance at Hogwarts mandatory for wizards like us," he continued, accentuating the 'us' as to indicate both himself and Carrow, "is this really necessary?"
    Carrow smiles and says "We have some questions we need to make sure you can answer honestly. You are required to attend and this is part of your school experience this year. Approved by the ministry, as well as all of the questions. You are perfectly safe, the potion is just a... safety concern."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

Without hesitation Johnny takes the potion from Malfoy's hand and swings it back. "Our families go way back Lord Malfoy. One further back than the other, at least in Britain. How may I serve you?"

Lord Malfoy is up to something.

"Oh, may we have some hot water for tea, if there is time?" Johnny starts pulling out saucers and tea cups to share with Lucius.
    Last edited by VestigeArcanist; 2014-04-04 at 10:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Johnny Ollivander

Without hesitation Johnny takes the potion from Malfoy's hand and swings it back. "Our families go way back Lord Malfoy. One further back than the other, at least in Britain. How may I serve you?"

Lord Malfoy is up to something.

"Oh, may we have some hot water for tea, if there is time?" Johnny starts pulling out saucers and tea cups to share with Lucius.
    Malfoy sits across from you and shakes his head. "We don't have much time..." he then waves a wand and a glass of tea appears before you. "I need you too assist me... I will repay you be ensuring the safety of your uncle..."

13. - Top - End - #13

WhiteWizardGirl

Antimony

With half-remembered horror stories about Umbridge's 'special detentions' suddenly coming to mind, Antimony tries to stall for time, "Yes, Professor. Err, Senior Undersecretary? Will you be returning to Hogwarts as a professor this year, ma'am?" before raising the vial to her lips. Hopefully the question will fluster her too much to notice that Antimony didn't actually drink any of the potion.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedKnightGirl

The slimy man who came for her repulsed Alexa, and she shuddered when he took her arm and had to force down a yelp. She followed him through the barrier and was taken aback by the changes: would nothing be as it was?

Alexa stared at the potion she had been given with apprehension, trying to work out what it might be: they probably had no need to poison her, but potions could do a number of things, and she certainly wasn't about to trust one from one of her uncle's friends.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Use Potionmaking to identify the potion (if that is possible): (1d20+19)[27]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Justin Macmillan

Justin frowned in distaste, then, seeing no recourse, uncorked the vial and swallowed it in one gulp.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

He has my attention. "How can I be sure you are telling the truth? Uncle Garrick has been gone for over a year, and, I presumed he was dead."

While asking this of Lucius, I take out my tea leaves and place some in each of our cups. I stir mine and politely offer the other cup and saucer to Lucius.

Spoiler
    Show

If I go to stun Lucius from under the table. (+20 on curses, +7 attack)

Take ten for 31.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Grek
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grek View Post
    Antimony

With half-remembered horror stories about Umbridge's 'special detentions' suddenly coming to mind, Antimony tries to stall for time, "Yes, Professor. Err, Senior Undersecretary? Will you be returning to Hogwarts as a professor this year, ma'am?" before raising the vial to her lips. Hopefully the question will fluster her too much to notice that Antimony didn't actually drink any of the potion.
    Umbridge smiles and pulls out her wand which she then uses to gesture as she talks. She smiles but you get a strange feeling that she is smiling at the thought of your pain.
    "No, I have a new position in the Ministry and sadly will not be returning to continue educating you. Thank you for your appreciation though." After a few moments of watching you she begins the questioning. "Please state your name and the name of your parents." You see no indication that she noticed you faking drinking.

Spoiler: Alexa
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    The slimy man who came for her repulsed Alexa, and she shuddered when he took her arm and had to force down a yelp. She followed him through the barrier and was taken aback by the changes: would nothing be as it was?

Alexa stared at the potion she had been given with apprehension, trying to work out what it might be: they probably had no need to poison her, but potions could do a number of things, and she certainly wasn't about to trust one from one of her uncle's friends.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Use Potionmaking to identify the potion (if that is possible): [roll0]
    As far as you can tell, it seems to be the most basic of truth potions; one that doesn't force you to answer questions but makes it impossible to speak something you know to be false.

Show
    Justin Macmillan

Justin frowned in distaste, then, seeing no recourse, uncorked the vial and swallowed it in one gulp.
    "Good," Alecto says before taking the seat across from you. She smiles at you, sending chills down your back. She summons a quill and parchment and after a moment of staring at you. "Now, please tell me your name and the names of your parents." ((If you attempt to answer falsely, you will be unable to get the words out.))

Show
    Johnny Ollivander

He has my attention. "How can I be sure you are telling the truth? Uncle Garrick has been gone for over a year, and, I presumed he was dead."

While asking this of Lucius, I take out my tea leaves and place some in each of our cups. I stir mine and politely offer the other cup and saucer to Lucius.

Spoiler
    Show

If I go to stun Lucius from under the table. (+20 on curses, +7 attack)

Take ten for 31.
    Lucius takes the tea and stares into it for a moment. Finally he takes out another vial from his robes and says, "This is what you were suppose to drink." He then downs the vial in a single gulp. After a moment he says "Are you familiar with an unbreakable vow?"

Bad: He has answers and you would be in a tight spot if you did it.
    Last edited by gac3; 2014-04-09 at 09:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedKnightGirl

Well she didn't have much choice then. Knowing that it was a simple potion made her feel less foolish drinking it, even though she recalled the line from Advanced Potion Making where it said: It is of the utmost folly to imbibe any potion of which you know neither the source nor the application. Potions may easily be concealed either by an expert or by simple magical illusions. Treat such with the highest discretion.

Well the author of that wouldn't be impressed with her meek acceptance, but she didn't have many options the way she saw it. Alexa downed the potion with an audible gulp.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Well she didn't have much choice then. Knowing that it was a simple potion made her feel less foolish drinking it, even though she recalled the line from Advanced Potion Making where it said: It is of the utmost folly to imbibe any potion of which you know neither the source nor the application. Potions may easily be concealed either by an expert or by simple magical illusions. Treat such with the highest discretion.

Well the author of that wouldn't be impressed with her meek acceptance, but she didn't have many options the way she saw it. Alexa downed the potion with an audible gulp.
    Amycus smiles and paces, circling the table as he speaks. "State your name and the name of your parents." He smiles and bares his teeth as he watches you.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedKnightGirl

"My name is Alexa Alyssandra Rowle, daughter of Maria Rowle, nee Greengrass and Tobias Rowle." She didn't try to lie, not on the first question, not when blood-status would be such an issue with these friends of her uncle.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Justin Macmillan

Justin answered truthfully, listing his grandparents as well, as if the entire exercise was a complete waste of his time.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

"Among honorable house, every vow is an unbreakable vow. I am familiar with the magical pact which you speak of." Why would Malfoy take a truth potion? Intriguing. But I don't have to wonder, do I?

"Why would you consume a truth potion in front of me?"

Spoiler: Potions Check
    Show
    I do not think it is covered in the rules, but I would like to positively identify the potion he took as a truth potion.

Potionmaking Check: take ten for 25.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "My name is Alexa Alyssandra Rowle, daughter of Maria Rowle, nee Greengrass and Tobias Rowle." She didn't try to lie, not on the first question, not when blood-status would be such an issue with these friends of her uncle.
    "Ah, a good family. Do you know the location of any muggleborns in hiding? Has anyone you know recently had their wand and or magic stolen my a muggleborn?"

Show
    Justin Macmillan

Justin answered truthfully, listing his grandparents as well, as if the entire exercise was a complete waste of his time.
    "Do you know the location of any muggleborns in hiding? Has anyone you know recently had their wand and or magic stolen my a muggleborn?"

Show
    Johnny Ollivander

"Among honorable house, every vow is an unbreakable vow. I am familiar with the magical pact which you speak of." Why would Malfoy take a truth potion? Intriguing. But I don't have to wonder, do I?

"Why would you consume a truth potion in front of me?"

Spoiler: Potions Check
    Show
    I do not think it is covered in the rules, but I would like to positively identify the potion he took as a truth potion.

Potionmaking Check: take ten for 25.
    As far as you could tell, though you could not see much, the potion could have been a truth potion. "You asked why you should trust me. I drank the potion so you'd know I speak the truth. If that was not enough to convince you, I am willing to make an unbreakable vow."

24. - Top - End - #24

WhiteWizardGirl

"Antimony Jigger, ma'am. My parents are named Bismund and Marilynth.", Antimony answers, trying not to flinch when the toad's wand flicks in her direction.

An easy question first, at least. Whew. But why does she have her wand out? What's she going to do with it? Is she planning to hex me? Eeeek.

25. - Top - End - #25

RedKnightGirl

Locations of muggleborns? No one would trust her with that kind of information: she wasn't really friends with anyone. And what was that second question? Magic stolen? "I don't believe anyone has ever had their magic stolen by a muggleborn, owing to Rinhard's Law of magical transference stating that though the effects of magic have free movement, the source in each person is inseparable from their core being." Alexa couldn't help but be a know-it-all. But maybe it would be good to answer the other question because she was pretty certain Amycus didn't want to hear about Rinhard's law. "I do not know the location of any muggleborns in hiding."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Justin Macmillan

Justin shook his head.

"If they were careless enough to let a pure blood wizard know where they were hiding out, I'm sure they would have been caught by now," Justin replied.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Antimony
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grek View Post
    "Antimony Jigger, ma'am. My parents are named Bismund and Marilynth.", Antimony answers, trying not to flinch when the toad's wand flicks in her direction.

An easy question first, at least. Whew. But why does she have her wand out? What's she going to do with it? Is she planning to hex me? Eeeek.
    "Good. Good. Now have you or any of your family members had their magic or wand stolen by a muggle? And do you know the location of any power stealing muggles?" Umbridge smiles as she talks and kind of waves her wand around using her fingers. Occasionally it will stop for a moment, pointed directly at your heart but will then continue its little waves through the air. A few time she also taps the locket hanging around her necking bearing an S with her wand but she does not appear to be casting any form of spell.

Show
    Locations of muggleborns? No one would trust her with that kind of information: she wasn't really friends with anyone. And what was that second question? Magic stolen? "I don't believe anyone has ever had their magic stolen by a muggleborn, owing to Rinhard's Law of magical transference stating that though the effects of magic have free movement, the source in each person is inseparable from their core being." Alexa couldn't help but be a know-it-all. But maybe it would be good to answer the other question because she was pretty certain Amycus didn't want to hear about Rinhard's law. "I do not know the location of any muggleborns in hiding."
    As you recite your facts of Rinhard Amycus scowls and after you finish talking he says, "Rinhard was a fool. Everyone knows that muggles are incapable of performing magic without stealing from true wizards." After a moment he calms down and says, "Final question: Do you know the location or how to contact Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, or Hermione Granger?"

Show
    Justin Macmillan

Justin shook his head.

"If they were careless enough to let a pure blood wizard know where they were hiding out, I'm sure they would have been caught by now," Justin replied.
    "Good point." Alecto lets out a genuine smile and for a moment you realize that she can actually be quite beautiful when you get past her connections to You-Know-Who and her vicious scowl that normally consumes her face. "Do you know of where Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, or Ron Weasley could be located or contacted?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Johnny Ollivander

"I-I am certainly at a lost for words. An Unbreakable Vow is not something taken on lightly, nor the consumption of a truth potion." This is strange, and very fishy, but I must continue forward. "What would you have to say which requires such drastic actions?"

Spoiler: Peer into the Moment
    Show

I ask Lucius to take the Unbreakable Vow.

Take ten for 31.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Johnny Ollivander

"I-I am certainly at a lost for words. An Unbreakable Vow is not something taken on lightly, nor the consumption of a truth potion." This is strange, and very fishy, but I must continue forward. "What would you have to say which requires such drastic actions?"

Spoiler: Peer into the Moment
    Show

I ask Lucius to take the Unbreakable Vow.

Take ten for 31.
    Peer into the Moment: Neutral, depends on if you agree to the deal. With or without the vow, he fully intends to fulfill his end.

"I need your help, and I'm willing to offer things in exchange. I understand if you do not trust me but I am desperate and I know where Garrick is..."
    Malfoy is clearly distressed.
    Last edited by gac3; 2014-04-10 at 04:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedKnightGirl

Alexa couldn't help but wonder when she heard the question: so this was it, proof if she still needed it that You-Know-Who had won and taken the ministry, and that Harry Potter had survived the coup and was on the run. She knew of the Golden Trio, but little more than the stories, her family never having interacted with the Weasleys or muggles. If Harry Potter wasn't at hogwarts, she didn't really know where you would find him. Wait... he couldn't already be at Hogwarts could he? That would be incredibly dangerous, but it almost seemed exactly like something he would do, afterall, his greatest triumphs were there, and he'd started Dumbledore's Army there. Where else would he gather supporters before trying to overthrow He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?

Alexa brought herself back to the moment and tried to answer in the negative, but her sneaking suspicion prevented it from being wholly true. She had to pause for a second, convince herself she was really only specualting and had been asked whether she 'knew' and then managed to answer: "No, I do not know the locations of nor how to contact any of those three."