New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default A fish out of water?!

Heya.

I'm looking to play an aquatic character in a land-locked campaign.

We start at level 1.

PLEASE someone explain how I can manage to not suffocate in the first 5 hours?!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A fish out of water?!

There's a Breathing Mask on page 46 of Savage Species, costs about 1000 for 4 hours and 950 for each subsequent 4 hours, so... no? I feel like there should be a druid spell somewhere but I can't remember, sorry.

Trees: The greatest weapon in 3.5
    Avatar by the amazingly talented and generous Smuchmuch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the art of war would read "Full casters or GTFO".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Oh wow...feel dumb...I read that and completely missed the part about the "slightly different" version!

>.<

Thanks!

Anyone know of a way that doesn't cost 950gp every 4 hours???
    Last edited by boxfox; 2014-03-21 at 02:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Eat the -2 to dex and take this template

http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/...phibious.shtml

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

That works. Or you can ask your DM to let it extend for longer than 4 hours... what kind of campaign is this where the DM suffocates you in (con*2+x) rounds?

Trees: The greatest weapon in 3.5
    Avatar by the amazingly talented and generous Smuchmuch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the art of war would read "Full casters or GTFO".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Post Re: A fish out of water?!

Quote Originally Posted by boxfox View Post
    PLEASE someone explain how I can manage to not suffocate in the first 5 hours?!
    Cast Air Breathing (SC), a level 3 Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz spell, which lasts 2 hours/level. Extend it and it lasts for 24 hours starting level 6. Get a magic item of it if you don't have a caster handy. If you're starting at level 1, you won't be able to cast/afford it, so will need something else (like say you're "renting" the item until you can afford to buy it).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Nice...that amphibious template wins. I'll have to go down to a +4 Dex bonus...but I won't die!

Jordan, it's just a normal campaign. Most DMs wouldn't just let you magically be able to breath air if your species normally only breaths water...

Cruiser, thanks, but that's all magic and far beyond the abilities of a level 1 character.

Thanks again, fouredged!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I got ya covered my friend.

Step 1)glass blower makes what essentially a big fish bowl that fits over your head.

Step 2) Glass blower attaches bottle of air to said fish bowl.

Step 3) Fill with water, put on head. Once your use up all the oxygen already in the water, the bottle of air will then oxygenate the airless environment.

This will essentially give you an unlimited supply of breathable water for 7250g.

Some DMs may say "But your not breathing FROM the bottle", but that's dumb. It gives you zero advantage what so ever.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mootsmcboots View Post
    I got ya covered my friend.

Step 1)glass blower makes what essentially a big fish bowl that fits over your head.

Step 2) Glass blower attaches bottle of air to said fish bowl.

Step 3) Fill with water, put on head. Once your use up all the oxygen already in the water, the bottle of air will then oxygenate the airless environment.

This will essentially give you an unlimited supply of breathable water for 7250g.

Some DMs may say "But your not breathing FROM the bottle", but that's dumb. It gives you zero advantage what so ever.
    Or the fishbowl could be open on top for free oxygenation instead of all that bottle business. Give the character ranks in Craft (Glassblower) and they could have made it themselves in their backstory.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

boxfox,

Which race are you going with? There may be an alternative that will work just as well that won't get you killed quickly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Or the fishbowl could be open on top for free oxygenation instead of all that bottle business. Give the character ranks in Craft (Glassblower) and they could have made it themselves in their backstory.
    I like that as well! Just gotta watch out for debris and monster blood getting in there. Bird poop too.

The one downside, is all the water sloshing around when walking, bottle or not.

Everyone in the party is going to have to pee every 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Mootsmcboots; 2014-03-21 at 04:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mootsmcboots View Post
    I like that as well! Just gotta watch out for debris and monster blood getting in there. Bird poop too.

The one downside, is all the water sloshing around when walking, bottle or not.

Everyone in the party is going to have to pee every 5 minutes.
    Haha. You say "gotta watch out for," I say "roleplaying opportunity." Just make sure at least one member of the party is a Cleric with Create Water to refill you if you get knocked over or need a refresh.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2014-03-21 at 04:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I did this once. I was a aquatic dwarf fighter. So i started out with a special breastplate with a sealed helmet full of water. So yes i couldn't talk had to wear my helmet 24/7 but i could still breath.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

My race is kind of tricky. It's what happens when an illithid tadpole accidently attaches itself to a giant octopus instead of a humanoid and then the octopus' master realizes it's gotten smart and experiments on it until it ends up as an anthropomorphic giant octopus / illithid hybrid...

...which then matures as a tortured creature instead of the normal evil stereotype illithid and eventually escapes, only to live a solitary, lonely existence as the only one of its kind. It's strength and intelligence help it find jobs with people who just want the work done and don't care how it gets done...

...eventually he ends up meeting a party of adventurers who can appreciate his unique abilities...etc, etc...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

My race is kind of tricky. It's what happens when an illithid tadpole accidently attaches itself to a giant octopus instead of a humanoid and then the octopus' master realizes it's gotten smart and experiments on it until it ends up as an anthropomorphic giant octopus / illithid hybrid...

...which then matures as a tortured creature instead of the normal evil stereotype illithid and eventually escapes, only to live a solitary, lonely existence as the only one of its kind. It's strength and intelligence help it find jobs with people who just want the work done and don't care how it gets done...

...eventually he ends up meeting a party of adventurers who can appreciate his unique abilities...etc, etc...
    "So have you guys met Joe?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Make sure to get a bicycle. A fish needs a bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Monk players tend to do questionable things, like play monk.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Lol...I'll work on the bike...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Please, everyone knows that he maximizes his Disguise skill and then marries a woman to blend into human society, where the only person who realizes who he is is an insane sushi chef.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-03-21 at 08:07 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Please, everyone knows that he maximizes his Disguise skill and then marries a woman to blend into human society, where the only person who realizes who he is is an insane sushi chef.
    Jade Dragon you win the internet for best reference.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Sorry, that reference is lost on me... O.o

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

There's a feat in Stormwrack (Landwalker) for aquatic elves that lets you breathe out of water for 3 hours per con point v. 1. Your DM might be convinced to house-rule something similar (and adjust the rules as fits the game). The flavor of it is really just that you're more adapted to land-dwelling that others of your species. Even with a 10 CON, that gives you 30 hour increments to find water, and though I don't have the book on hand, the SRD doesn't specify how long you need to be IN water, or what kind of water, to reset the time. As long as you can take a bath each day, you could be ok, I think.
    Last edited by delenn; 2014-03-21 at 09:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Couldn't you just play a Tortle or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Monk players tend to do questionable things, like play monk.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I second the water helmet.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.