New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Healing with Arcane spells only

So backstory on this is, I'm playing an Ultimate Magus that loves arcane magic, and thinks Divine magic is weaker. Eventually he gets into an arguement with the party cleric. The arguement ends up going something like this, "well if arcane magic is so great, why can't you heal yourself" So my character says, "give me some time to research it"

So what I need are some ways to heal one's self without using Divine magic of any kind. No using Wish spells to simulate a Divine healing spell. No using Arcane Disciple and taking the healing Domain. No using Divine use activated items like a wand of cure light wounds. And no summoning something that just cast a divine spell for you either.

I want strickly arcane spell healing. I was thinking, is there a way to Polymorph yourself into something with fast healing/regeneration? Any idea would be helpful.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Healing with Arcane spells only

Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords is a Sorceror 5 spell that heals yourself for 5d6, with the option to sacrifice a spell slot to heal SLd6 additional.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There's also Synostodweomer from Spell Compendium at 7th level that heals for I believe 2d6 per level of spell(s) sacrificed. There may be another, more efficient way of doing it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrHackenSlasher View Post
    So backstory on this is, I'm playing an Ultimate Magus that loves arcane magic, and thinks Divine magic is weaker. Eventually he gets into an arguement with the party cleric. The arguement ends up going something like this, "well if arcane magic is so great, why can't you heal yourself" So my character says, "give me some time to research it"

So what I need are some ways to heal one's self without using Divine magic of any kind. No using Wish spells to simulate a Divine healing spell. No using Arcane Disciple and taking the healing Domain. No using Divine use activated items like a wand of cure light wounds. And no summoning something that just cast a divine spell for you either.

I want strickly arcane spell healing. I was thinking, is there a way to Polymorph yourself into something with fast healing/regeneration? Any idea would be helpful.
    Polymorph doesn't give you the Special Qualities of the creature you change into, including Fast Healing. However, it does give you 1 hit point per level as if you rested for the night. The feat Magic of the Land does grant healing based on the level of the spell you cast. The amount is fairly small, but with your high numbers of spells/day, you can probably get some decent healing off it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrHackenSlasher View Post

Find some way to plunder the bard spell list. The bard has various Cure X Wounds spells.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

A level of Prestige Bard(UA) lets you learn Cure X Wounds spells from the bard list.
    If one of your UM base casters is a beguiler, warmage or dread necromancer you get a whole bunch of bard spells added to your spell list, some of them quite good.
    The requirements are fairly easy to reach, the only downside is that you lose a level of spellcasting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rainbow Servant. Of course, you'll have to spend 10 levels on it, but once you get there...

If you're willing to spend 2 levels, go with Death Delver.

Or take Arcane Disciple (healing domain).

Really, the possibilities are endless.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Dire Stirge, did you read the OP? None of those satisfies the conditions.

Bard, however, should. There's also a sorc/wiz spell from Book of Exalted Deeds called "Healing Touch" that can work.

More difficult are the various spells for fixing conditions other than HP damage. How would an arcane caster cure disease, or blindness, or dismemberment?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Dire Stirge, did you read the OP? None of those satisfies the conditions.

Bard, however, should. There's also a sorc/wiz spell from Book of Exalted Deeds called "Healing Touch" that can work.

More difficult are the various spells for fixing conditions other than HP damage. How would an arcane caster cure disease, or blindness, or dismemberment?
    Limited Wish?

You can also use LW to pull Heal off of the Adept list as a 5th level spell, although that's a bit cheesy and still costs you 300 exp.

EDIT: Nevermind, this is specifically on the OP's no go list.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2014-03-31 at 01:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

Once you dip PRC bard, you can qualify for combat medic, and after 5 levels of that, you can whip out heal from any 6+ spell slot. That will cover most status conditions.

11. - Top - End - #11

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Male

The Heroics spell can grant you Martial Study and Martial Stance. Take strikes and stances such as Crusader's Strike that heal you. Depending on level, you could get access to the Heal spell easily enough.

Polymorph and its derivatives also heal you, as mentioned above.

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

Don't forget than many summons have access to spells you don't. For example, a Leonal (SM9) can heal 119 HP through lay on hands, throw around 3 cure serious wounds, then caps it off with a heal spell.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    A level of Prestige Bard(UA) lets you learn Cure X Wounds spells from the bard list. ...
    The requirements are fairly easy to reach, the only downside is that you lose a level of spellcasting.
    I think the fact that this means there can be no standard Bards, Paladins, or Rangers in the game world should be considered a "downside". You can only use a Prestigous class if your DM wants to twist their world to use the variant.
    These classes-the bard, the paladin, and the ranger-might require special training to enter, training that can be mimicked by transforming these classes into prestige classes.

With this variant, these classes become off limits for starting (1st-level) characters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 2 level dip into wyrm wizard can get you any spell in the game that you want, from any list. You can go deeper into the class to get additional spells, depending on how dedicated you want to be to this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    A 2 level dip into wyrm wizard can get you any spell in the game that you want, from any list.
    Not quite "any spell in the game", because it is limited to spells from lists. Domain-only spells, and spells granted via Initiate feats, are some of those not included.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I think the fact that this means there can be no standard Bards, Paladins, or Rangers in the game world should be considered a "downside". You can only use a Prestigous class if your DM wants to twist their world to use the variant.
    That's not a mechanical downside anymore than your DM banning T1 casters is a downside of playing a cleric. Since the OP stated no limits it's as much an option as anything else.
    Unless you have someone in the party that wants to play one of the 3 classes in the standard version it's basically just the question "is this option allowed or is it not". The same applies to anything else.

I also don't see why the world would be twisted in any way unless the DM has several plot important bards, paladins and/or ranger NPCs already statted. Fluff wise there is no difference at all.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Do you mind hurting others to heal you? If not, we have Gutwrench, from Book of evil darkness. On a failed save, kills&heals (if not it's 10d6 however).

If in the "heal" box with also put temporary hit points we have also vampiric touch, false life... take the Tomb tainted soul and enervate yourself! Kiss of the vampire (spell from libris mortis) sums it all up.

And we have Energy absorption that protects you from elemental damage and, once for cast, can nullify an elemental attack healing half the damage tha would have been dealt. (complete mage)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks to everybody that has responded. You've given me some good suggestions that will, I'm sure, grant me victory next time I verbally spar with that no account cleric.