New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The new art style

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It takes literally the exact same amount of time to draw the new hands, because Illustrator CS6 has a Blob brush that creates an outlined shape from a brush stroke and merges everything you draw with that brush automatically. I just select a round Blob brush, draw the hand, then apply a color. It takes maaaaaybe a fraction of a second more per hand—though I can draw several and then color them together, so less if you average it.
    Huh. I was gonna guess you applied multiple strokes to the same line and made the background stroke thicker than the foreground stroke. I know that's how I've done it in the past, though I guess my Illustrator method is more machine-like than your artist hand.

Ah well. Different strokes for different folks.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm a bit resistant to changes, but in general I liked the new style. The hands are kinda strange compared to how I saw them before (three-fingered hands are more acceptable in the old style than in the new one), but I think it's just a matter of being used to.
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

The way hands interacted with objects was what bothered me the most in the old style, so I am happy to see them change.
    It is a pretty big overhaul. The canvas size also increased, and I find it good, because the old one really had gotten tiny for the quantity of words in the balloons. The consistent use of movement lines as transparent layers is something else I enjoy, but I suppose they had already been used a few times (I can't remember when).
    Perspective seems to have got more importance. And the main layout stayed the same.

So I'm happy for the change. The new font is the only thing I am not all that sure about, but it is well readable, and that's the only thing that counts to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

It is incredibly easy. I am not going to do it.
    If the outline were any thinner, the hands would stand out from everything else around them and look more out of place. You found the right balance. I don't think you could improve on them without giving up the trident shape, and that opens up another can of worms.

Another reason for the uncanny valley effect might be the way the noodle hands are always facing the reader. It's easier to fill in the orientation mentally when looking at solid black lines. Again, there's not a good alternative, and on the whole the new hands fit in with the rest of the style.

Out of curiosity, did you experiment with darker skin tones in place of black for skin outlines? It probably wouldn't be an improvement, but I can't visualize it well enough to judge.

Also out of curiosity, roughly how much of each strip is drawn from scratch? I always assumed most of the characters and objects were rearranged vector dolls, limbs included. Knowing the drawing method won't change my appreciation of the art or the work it requires, except to add a little insight into how the art comes into being.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Stuff like this quickly becomes invisible to me, kind of like dust and spiderwebs. But when I notice the new hands they seem very big and rigid. Everything else seems fine. But that said, I didn't really give it a thought until I saw the thread.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Aaaand Roy.

Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Aaaand Roy.
    The perspective on the top rim of his boots is a nice touch.

We'll have to wait and see if the Giant does the same.
    Last edited by Smolder; 2014-04-03 at 03:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Colossus in the Playground

The Fantasy fantasy stuff:

http://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick/8296606

also had the noodley appendages, a while back.

Maybe those were the prototype?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Whatever it takes to keep this comic alive. But I'll be forced to accept this change, as I doubt I'll be able to do anything to mitigate it. I love this comic, but part of what I love is the brilliance in its simplicity. I'm sure the effort involved has been simplified so that it isn't a huge stretch to implement, so not worried there.

I do miss the simplicity...but Rich needs to continue to grow. So far, it hasn't gone as far as Penny Arcade's style in completely losing the feel, so that's a good thing.

10. - Top - End - #190

MindFlayer

Honestly, the best part of this comic is the writing. The visuals were always beside the point.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

Maybe those were the prototype?
    Those also had the fancy hands, though. I imagine that's more work than Rich wants to do.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

Yes, but I think they looked better because of the gloves. There's just something "off" about the new hands, from my perspective. I think that every other aspect of the new art style looks great. However, I accept that Rich is going to keep using his own best judgement rather than changing the hands based on forum comment.
    Last edited by Estelindis; 2014-04-04 at 07:58 AM.
    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
    ~~~ C. S. Lewis
    First Mate on board Hinjo's Junk
    Theological Advisor of the Hinjo Fan Club
    Shark Smiter of the O-Chul Fan Club
    GitP Folding Team

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Honestly, the best part of this comic is the writing. The visuals were always beside the point.
    Yep. The problem is that the way the story is told and the kind of jokes made, are inseparably connected to the style. Imagine these durkon jokes being told using very realistic art (a la Marvel). A dwarven cleric attacking a a palmtree with a hammer? Would be much more weird than fun. But not in a stick comic. If RB want to go realistic then he better do so when story is over or using a sideproject (Scoundrél perhaps?). After all the slow pace of change still mean that, unless is slow or stops, we risk see the end game being done in Marvel or DC Comics style. What would be the Point of that???
    The "K.I.S.S. test", "Less is more", "Do not make changes for the changes sake", "If it is not broken, don't fix it" etc etc. Wise words that are with us for good reasons.
    To put it shortly: -"Stop try non-stick the stickies! They are nothing to be ashamed of, on the contrary a source of pride!"

I Think RB need to remember that he is one of the of the most succesfull artist in these times. His talent alone have given him a job many Dream of, and that going solo! If he need constant reminders of it then I direct him to the 1.2 million dollars he got recently.
    This by a story about stick figures that have moved the Hearts and minds of thousands of people all over the World. (Myself i wouldn't toss a coin after a run of the mill Hero comic.)

Ok, I am done with the soapbox now. Thanks for lending it to me.
    Last edited by Hardcore; 2014-04-04 at 08:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
    Yes, but I think they looked better because of the gloves. There's just something "off" about the new hands, from my perspective. I think that every other aspect of the new art style looks great. However, I accept that Rich is going to keep using his own best judgement rather than changing the hands based on forum comment.
    Another thing different about those hands is that, in addition to having three fingers like the OOTS figures do now, they also have thumbs. Their hands are also proportioned more like human hands, whereas the fingers in OOTS look a little like tridents. To me, they were a little distracting at first, but already I don't mind them.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #195
    Colossus in the Playground

So you're saying Elan's shoes are magical?
    Yes.

(Although a certain bandit camp scene showed Elan producing the boots from hammerspace and putting them on instead of wearing them constantly, for some reason.)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yes.

(Although a certain bandit camp scene showed Elan producing the boots from hammerspace and putting them on instead of wearing them constantly, for some reason.)
    Maybe he doesn't like the color?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Aaaand Roy.

Oh nooo! You got him all wrong - look at his boots, they have the same size! ;)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like the new style.

As always, the most impressive thing about Rich's style is the way he does so much with so little - and that extends in this case to making what comes across as a huge improvement by ultimately changing very little about the art.

I think far from 'abandoning stick art' or 'attempting to un-stick' the comic, Rich is continuing to refine and expand what 'stick figure' means.

We got a hint of this style from the Calendar, and I'm glad he's taken those ideas further & implemented them into the strip proper.
    Probably not a robot from the future sent back to exterminate all human life.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent Dave View Post
    I really like the new style.

As always, the most impressive thing about Rich's style is the way he does so much with so little - and that extends in this case to making what comes across as a huge improvement by ultimately changing very little about the art.

I think far from 'abandoning stick art' or 'attempting to un-stick' the comic, Rich is continuing to refine and expand what 'stick figure' means.

We got a hint of this style from the Calendar, and I'm glad he's taken those ideas further & implemented them into the strip proper.
    This. Also, if someone dislikes the new art, not because of how it looks, but because it no longer fits the definition of "stick figure," then I think they're too attached to a label.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

20. - Top - End - #200

AssassinGuy

Overall, I'm okay with everything. What really throws me off is what people call the "noodle" - the arms and legs. I really would like it if either they were all black - a simple and clean look - or that they were a bit thicker - so it doesn't feel like a bodily deformation of some sort.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish the limbs were a little simpler or a little more complex in representation - it feels stuck in an unfortunate in-between right now.

Agh, I hate complaining like this ... maybe it'll grow on me.

The font was a bit of a surprise, because I liked the old font. But I expect that adjustment will be an easy one for the readers - for me, at least.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oddly, I noticed the font and not the arms and legs. Huh.

Of course, now that they're pointed out, it's one of those "can't un-see" things.

I'm sure that'll go away shortly along with my newly found tongue awareness.

22. - Top - End - #202

I have to say that the most jarring change for me (not in a bad way, more of a neutral "Whoa, that's different" kind of way) was the new font. I really like the new "noodle" arms and legs, having already seen it in a comic that borrowed Rich's art style. It looked good there and it looks good in OotS. I didn't notice the "flesh tridents" until somebody pointed them out and referred to them as such, and now I can't unsee them.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also hate the new art style. The simple three pronged black lines were much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliezer Yudkowsky
    Why do you believe what you believe? What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?
    Alanna the Lioness avatar by Iron Penguin

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

I re-read this strip three times, and remember my reactions.

The first time, I noticed nothing.
    The second time, I finally noticed the changes on the second panel, and my attention was diverted to the hands, which bothered me.
    The third time, I had gotten used to the new style and stopped noticing the hands by the end of it.

To conclude, it isn't really a problem for me. Normally I despise change, but this one is minor enough that I rapidly got used to it.

As of then I've become eager to see whether Haley actually wears pants/sleeves or not, and whether Roy has gauntlets or bare hands. I remain cautiously optimistic.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anajamois View Post
    As of then I've become eager to see whether Haley actually wears pants/sleeves or not, and whether Roy has gauntlets or bare hands. I remain cautiously optimistic.
    Haley wears pants. This has been evident since strip 1. Strip 675 shows that up until that point she had been wearing long pants, and implies that she bought short[er] pants. The calendar shows that her old top was sleeveless, and the top she bought in 657 is sleeveless as well. Her "resistance leader" outfit might have sleeves, but we'll probably never see it again, so who knows?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I'm with Anajamois here. I noticed the change in the limbs only on my second read, went 'huh, not sure about this', and stopped noticing it on the third. Overall, I think the comic looks way more detailed, which is good. I generally read every comic at least twice (first a quick read to see what happens, then a more careful read which includes a good look at the art) and I have no problem whatsoever with the new hands.

The one thing that did annoy me even after the second read is so minor that it's not even worth mentioning. But I will anyway: it's the slant of the exclamation marks :p I'd like them to be a little less slanted in an ideal word.

In short: I like what I see :)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Haley wears pants. This has been evident since strip 1. Strip 675 shows that up until that point she had been wearing long pants, and implies that she bought short[er] pants. The calendar shows that her old top was sleeveless, and the top she bought in 657 is sleeveless as well. Her "resistance leader" outfit might have sleeves, but we'll probably never see it again, so who knows?
    For goodness sake, give a man something to look forward to, why don't you?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anajamois View Post
    For goodness sake, give a man something to look forward to, why don't you?
    There's still Roy's hands

Personally, I'm looking forward to V's and Belkar's feet, sleeves, and cloaks.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-04-05 at 01:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

I really have one question... Does Rich really think the limbs/hands art modification was something that was actually needed?

"If it ain't broke, don't mess with it."

Seems like this move is an answer to a question no one asked. Even Rich himself, in that 2004 quote, was basically saying that those simple limbs (shoes not drawn) helped keep the art less busy.

I get that he might have changed in mind at some point during the last decade, but IMHO there was nothing wrong with the classic Stick style... Why such a change after nearly 1,000 strips?
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Probably because he's been drawing in that same simplified style for almost a thousand strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?