New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road III - New Horizons

Dive Bomb did his best to disguise his paroxysm of laughter as a small coughing fit. "Er, yes. As my companion so eloquently stated, we've had some problems with our plow. Somepony sliced up our harness, bent the mainshare of the plow, and fiddled with the coulter to make it detach under pressure. We need some replacement straps, a mallet, and possibly some parts."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

"Certainly" replied Steel Shoes, never batting an eyelid. "If you can provide your workgroup papers, we will gladly provide the parts."

"Will you be requiring assistance in effecting the repairs as well?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease once again procured the papers from her bag. "I think that we can handle the repair itself," she said. "We're just here to find the best tools to do it with."
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well, I shall send an apprentice up shortly with the parts. Good day."

Steel Shoes gestured to her assistant, who took the proffered papers, before the two of them disappeared out the side door. The pegasus returned a few minutes later, leading a griffoness with pink-tinged headfeathers who was struggling with a wheelbarrow.

The parts were moderately heavy, particularly the new mainshare's edge, so somepony would have to be saddled with them on the way back. Once they'd deposited the wheelbarrow, the assistant silently retreated back to the work floor.

"Your papers were in order, and I've placed the requisition paperwork into your file." replied the pegasus, hoofing the documents all back to Grease. "If there's anything else you guys need, let me know. Till then, be careful!"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "When I'm done here, I'm going home." replied Rinda. "No more traipsing around a desert, waiting to pull some other ingrates's tail from the fire. When I'm done here, I'll be able to just click my talons and then bam. Home."

"And once I get there ... there are going to be some changes to how things are run."

The griffon turned away for a moment, studying the broken wall behind her. A dark, tar-like substance seemed to drip from some of the cracks, like the walls themselves were bleeding.

"There's old magic here, Soot. Deep and primal. The kind of stuff nations were once built on." she continued, eyes alight. Her purple magic flickered and flared, forming a nebula of lightning and stars that floated behind her head. "I found it, or it found me. I can't remember exactly, but if I can just tame it, then I will be able to do [i]anything[/]."

She turned back to Soot, a grin on her face.

"I will be able to do everything!"

Beside Soot, Alone gasped softly as she spotted the pitch on the walls. She muttered to herself, and closed her eyes for a moment.

"So who's youre new friend there Soot?" asked Rinda, finally noticing the second filly. "Somepony else, lost in these ruins?"
    "This is Alone Rinda." Soot introduced her companion, "She has been lost here for a very long time. I found her in these ruins in absolute despair, sure that no one would ever help her." Soot grimaced at the tar stuff "I think you're right, there is magic here, and I think it found Alone like it did you. It worries me Rinda, it worries me that it destroyed nations, and I'm worried that it could do to you like it did to her."
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

6. - Top - End - #216

"Thank you," Dive Bomb said, scooping up some of the parts. They bumped and shifted against the books in his saddlebags. "And we will, have no fear."
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    "This is Alone Rinda." Soot introduced her companion, "She has been lost here for a very long time. I found her in these ruins in absolute despair, sure that no one would ever help her." Soot grimaced at the tar stuff "I think you're right, there is magic here, and I think it found Alone like it did you. It worries me Rinda, it worries me that it destroyed nations, and I'm worried that it could do to you like it did to her."
    "Well, you shouldn't be" replied Rinda, turning back to study that tar-strewn wall. The griffoness took a steadying breath, bracing herself for something.

"Sometimes nations need to be destroyed."

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "Thank you," Dive Bomb said, scooping up some of the parts. They bumped and shifted against the books in his saddlebags. "And we will, have no fear."
    The assistant nodded, before taking her seat back behind the desk with the picture of the older pegasus on it. The ponies were free to go. Clearly, they should get back to work.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

After thanking the blacksmith and her crew for the help, Crown turned back to the pile of parts. He wrapped his hooves around the mainshare, hefted, and hardly budged the hunk of metal. "Hoof! That will have to be saddled, at the least. Perhaps the whole lot. Miss Spot? I believe you should-" He frowned. "Actually, I believe you shouldn't; we'll need your strong back to carry the seeds. Mister Bomb? It's your time to-" His brow furrowed. "Come to think of it, we can't afford to drop those seeds; the bag could rip open. Your wings will help spot Miss Spot. That just leaves-" His pointing hoof kept searching, but found nopony. Empty space, a bit of shrubbery, passers-by, the plow parts, Miss Spot again...

Crown's eyes widened, filled with dread.

"...oh."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-06-03 at 03:48 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #219

Dive Bomb finished settling the smaller parts in his saddlebags. "Grease can carry the seeds, and I've can carry most of the other parts and still fly." He grinned, laying a conciliatory wing across the colt's shoulders. "Just think; maybe your sweetums will see you carrying such a load, and be so impressed with your strength that she'll knock you into a smaller ditch next time."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds good to me," Grease said, with a small smirk on her face. Some good old-fashioned manual labor would be good for Crown. Besides, he was still an earth pony. He should be fine.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Crown pouted fiercely, knowing he was well and truly ensnared. "Hmmph! Well I'm glad you two are in such fine spirits." With an extravagant toss of his mane, the colt summoned up the stiffest of his upper lips. "But you're right! What shame would my thorny rose feel, being seen with a milquetoast, flabby specimen of a pony? She ought to hold her head high, knowing that Crown Cork carries the proud blood of the Earth Ponies in his veins; a passionate soul, capable of great feats of body when the need calls!" He stamped his hooves upon the ground and braced himself, burying all hesitation at the torture to come beneath a veil of fiery determination. "Saddle that load upon my back, friends, and let us be off!"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Once back outside the Smithy, the ponies we're afforded a choice. They could take the main road back the way they came, taking the most direct route back to the seed stores and their work. Or, they could detour through the south of the city, past the administrative and educational districts. Such a path would appeal only to slacker ponies who didn't value the need to get back to work.

Technically, they could also go elsewhere in the city too. But, clearly, anypony even considering such an action was a very silly pony. And should feel bad.

13. - Top - End - #223

Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back. The pegasus rolled his eyes. At least when Crown had been intent on discerning the facts of his as-yet-nonexistent love life, the colt had been quiet. Still, there was hope! With any luck, the colt would put up such a fuss huffing and wheezing while carrying the heavy wedge that he'd forget to blabber.

"No sense taking up more time," he stated. "Best to get those seeds and get back to the field; sooner we do that, the sooner we can get our jobs done and be free for the afternoon."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back. The pegasus rolled his eyes. At least when Crown had been intent on discerning the facts of his as-yet-nonexistent love life, the colt had been quiet. Still, there was hope! With any luck, the colt would put up such a fuss huffing and wheezing while carrying the heavy wedge that he'd forget to blabber.

"No sense taking up more time," he stated. "Best to get those seeds and get back to the field; sooner we do that, the sooner we can get our jobs done and be free for the afternoon."
    "Sounds like a good idea to me," Grease said. "Besides, the sooner we get back the sooner poor little Corky can unload his back."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Well, you shouldn't be" replied Rinda, turning back to study that tar-strewn wall. The griffoness took a steadying breath, bracing herself for something.

"Sometimes nations need to be destroyed."
    Soot held out a cautioning hoof "You mean your own?" she paused to let Rinda register the question before adding. "Because of how they've treated you and your sister?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Sounds like a good idea to me," Grease said. "Besides, the sooner we get back the sooner poor little Corky can unload his back."
    Crown flushed bright red, cheeks puffed out in indignation. "My name is Crown or Mister Cork, if you please-"

Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back.
    "Whoooof!" He felt the moment Dive Bomb stopped supporting the plowshare. What felt like a cartload of burly ponies came to rest square on his poor, unprepared back, where they promptly decided to take a simultaneous snooze. Sweat broke out on his brow, his knees shook, but he refused to yield. "Nnnnghhh...and I am not some...hrrgh...mewling little...grrr...foal!" From deep within him he dredged up some hidden reserve of Earth Pony grit, and braced himself firmly under the load. "Ha! Don't rush on my account; I could carry this chunk of iron there and back again if I had to."

17. - Top - End - #227

It took all of Dive Bomb's not-inconsiderable skill to keep a blank face, instead of grinning like a fool. Insufferability? Hah! Even the greatest pony had weaknesses, and Crown had given away two in as many minutes.

Oh, wouldn't that just be beautiful, though? The thought of taking the longer route with the new immigrants danced in Dive Bomb's vision.

Alas, they had a job to do. And as delicious as it would be to see Crown earn some sweat in that well-conditioned mane, it would be much more enjoyable to be able to be free of the restraints imposed by their schedule.

"No sense waiting, then," Dive Bomb said, putting wings to the action and setting a swift pace.

After all, he was a researcher, not a saint.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Soot held out a cautioning hoof "You mean your own?" she paused to let Rinda register the question before adding. "Because of how they've treated you and your sister?"
    "Of course." Replied Rinda, turning back towards the unicorn.

"The Griffon Kingdoms are sick, Soot. They're dying. I mean, we don't even have a king anymore. The whole place is run by grey feathered old fools who cling to the traditions and rules as if they're going to save them. But all it does is put in place a system that rewards those at the top of the roost, and destroys the lives of those who are not so lucky."

"If the Kingdom is going to fall, then why not by my talons? I could fix things, make it better. Create something that s- we could all be proud of again."

"The magic that made Sanctum strong could do the same for the Griffons. It's a power that will be mine."

The griffoness' expression had settled into determined lines, staring out to a future that only she could see. It was brought back a moment later by the quiet voice of Alone.

"It doesn't work that way." She said, stepping forward to get Rinda's attention. The grey coated pony pointed a hoof towards the tar that was seeping from the back wall.

"That is not the magic of Sanctum. That is not the power to build or to grow. That is the sickness that brought the city to ruin in its final days."

"It is hatred, despair and death. It is a disease of the soul, and will destroy you if you try to take it up."

"No sense waiting, then," Dive Bomb said, putting wings to the action and setting a swift pace.

After all, he was a researcher, not a saint.
    The three ponies had a choice, and they chose wisely

Clearly, the three ponies were good, hardworking, ponies who understood the value of getting the job done.

The walk back to the granaries went smoothly, and soon they stood outside the seed stores again where the aged griffon was attending to his post.

19. - Top - End - #229

Dive Bomb shifted, the weight in his saddlebags swinging back into a balanced position. "Excuse me," he said, eyeing the sitting griffon. Somehow, there was a niggling feeling that fear was the appropriate response, but that just wasn't reasonable. Griffons helped them, after all. "We've been sent to pick up an order of seed for the fields."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you need to see our work papers?" Grease asked the griffin, her hoof already halfway into her saddlebags. Sanctum was a wonderful city, but dear sun above did they like their paperwork.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

A few moments later, a miserable shamble of bones once called Crown Cork dragged itself to the seed shop. By some foul curse, the route back had tripled in length; he'd counted the steps, he knew for a fact it was longer. Ambition and spirit lay squashed beneath his heavy burden, joining his muscles in a miserable heap of toil. But though his beautiful coat ran slick with sweat, stubborn pride and Earth Pony grit held his load aloft.

The exhausted colt stood behind his compatriots, eyes unfocused as he caught his breath.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-06-11 at 10:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do you need to see our work papers?" Grease asked the griffin, her hoof already halfway into her saddlebags. Sanctum was a wonderful city, but dear sun above did they like their paperwork.
    "Oh! No, I never bother to read them. Too much effort, all this paperwork. Just go right in, and make sure to tell me what you take." replied the Griffon, eying Grease's saddlebags with apprehension.

The interior of the granary was just as disorganised as the griffon's disdain for paperwork implied. Sacks were stacked in any old fashion, and often many were missing labels to identify their contents. The ponies would have to pick them by sight.

[DC15 mind check to find the right seeds]

23. - Top - End - #233

A frozen Dive Bomb stood statue-like in the doorway of the warehouse. Somewhere far away, a hundred miniature green pegasi wept over the disorder in the warehouse. How could anyone allow a space of storage to become so disordered? It went against everything that a warehouse should be.

Dive Bomb's muzzle twisted into a grimace. This would be more difficult than he'd thought. Carefully, the statue cracked an eye towards Grease's work order, before drifting towards the monolithic slabs of chaos.

Spoiler
    Show

Mind 5, Research 1, rolled twice for wary.

(1d20+6)[14]
    (1d20+6)[11]

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Of course." Replied Rinda, turning back towards the unicorn.

"The Griffon Kingdoms are sick, Soot. They're dying. I mean, we don't even have a king anymore. The whole place is run by grey feathered old fools who cling to the traditions and rules as if they're going to save them. But all it does is put in place a system that rewards those at the top of the roost, and destroys the lives of those who are not so lucky."

"If the Kingdom is going to fall, then why not by my talons? I could fix things, make it better. Create something that s- we could all be proud of again."

"The magic that made Sanctum strong could do the same for the Griffons. It's a power that will be mine."

The griffoness' expression had settled into determined lines, staring out to a future that only she could see. It was brought back a moment later by the quiet voice of Alone.

"It doesn't work that way." She said, stepping forward to get Rinda's attention. The grey coated pony pointed a hoof towards the tar that was seeping from the back wall.

"That is not the magic of Sanctum. That is not the power to build or to grow. That is the sickness that brought the city to ruin in its final days."

"It is hatred, despair and death. It is a disease of the soul, and will destroy you if you try to take it up."
    "Listen to Alone, Rinda, it nearly destroyed her before I found her. No one wants that to happen to you as well." Soot implored her "Please Rinda, we don't want to see you hurt."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

A frozen Dive Bomb stood statue-like in the doorway of the warehouse. Somewhere far away, a hundred miniature green pegasi wept over the disorder in the warehouse. How could anyone allow a space of storage to become so disordered? It went against everything that a warehouse should be.

Dive Bomb's muzzle twisted into a grimace. This would be more difficult than he'd thought. Carefully, the statue cracked an eye towards Grease's work order, before drifting towards the monolithic slabs of chaos.

Spoiler
    Show

Mind 5, Research 1, rolled twice for wary.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    After much painstaking work on inspecting seeds and comparing them to diagrams in his encyclopedia, Dive Bomb was able to rule out the seeds that they encountered on the first floor of the granary. With things beginning to blur together into an interminably long blur, the three ponies ascended to the second story.

To find that things were even worse here; sacks and barrels were stored higgledy piggledy all over the place. Often packed so tightly that ponies would have to squeeze between them to navigate their way further into the twisted maze of produce-to-be. There was no flying here; the stores stretched straight to the ceiling a good eight feet above them. They could also easily lose themselves amongst the stacks.

[DC20 recovery check for the partial]

"Listen to Alone, Rinda, it nearly destroyed her before I found her. No one wants that to happen to you as well." Soot implored her "Please Rinda, we don't want to see you hurt."
    "Hurt?" snapped Rinda. "I've been hurting all my life, Soot. That system and all you ponies have seen to that!"

As she spun around to face the two ponies at the foot of her throne, Rinda slashed a wing through the air. Wind burst around them, staggering Soot and Alone and threatening to send them falling back into the last line of black orbs.

[DC10 body check to prevent falling, no harmony bonus this time]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

After much painstaking work on inspecting seeds and comparing them to diagrams in his encyclopedia, Dive Bomb was able to rule out the seeds that they encountered on the first floor of the granary. With things beginning to blur together into an interminably long blur, the three ponies ascended to the second story.

To find that things were even worse here; sacks and barrels were stored higgledy piggledy all over the place. Often packed so tightly that ponies would have to squeeze between them to navigate their way further into the twisted maze of produce-to-be. There was no flying here; the stores stretched straight to the ceiling a good eight feet above them. They could also easily lose themselves amongst the stacks.

[DC20 recovery check for the partial]
    *thunk*

Crown collapsed on the top of the stairs, at the same moment his jaw hit the floor. His head lolled over, meeting Dive Bomb's own incredulous gaze. No words were said. No words were needed. For once in their friendship, they understood each other perfectly.

"...well then." The colt said, breaking the silence. "Those bags over there have some...drawings reminiscent of trees? Or shrubbery? Whatever they are, they don't look like...whatever plant it is we're looking for." He waved a hoof about tiredly, a few shades away from reality.

(Adding a Harmony bonus to the searcher.)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

"You know you can put that down for the moment, right Crown?" Grease said, addressing the colt lying on the floor. "No one will bother it while we look for these seeds."

"Let's see, let's see," she said, walking down the haphazard rows. "What were all the seeds we needed to pick up?" She rifled through the papers in her bag, looking for whichever one had the list.

[Adding Harmony bonus]

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

"You know you can put that down for the moment, right Crown?" Grease said, addressing the colt lying on the floor. "No one will bother it while we look for these seeds."

"Let's see, let's see," she said, walking down the haphazard rows. "What were all the seeds we needed to pick up?" She rifled through the papers in her bag, looking for whichever one had the list.

[Adding Harmony bonus]
    Grease rifled through the papers until she found the bla bla bla, I'm sure the seeds bit was in there somewhere.

[See OOC thread]

29. - Top - End - #239

"The foreman said to make sure that we knew the difference between daisy and lily seeds," Dive Bomb said, clambering over pile of seed bags. "And to be careful. Now that I see the warehouse, I can see why." He groaned. "I've been looking for both labels. I wish I didn't have to be glad that we have even that..."

Spoiler
    Show
    5 mind, 1 Research, 3 harmony.

(1d20+9)[19]
    (1d20+9)[28]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease stared down at the papers in her hooves, mystified. Was this meant for her? That couldn't be right. And yet, it wouldn't make sense to be there if it wasn't meant for her...

The sound of Dive Bomb's voice snapped her attention back to the present. "Um... Lilies. We're supposed to get lily seeds." If the message was meant for her, and it wasn't complete nonsense, then it would be better to wait until they were back out in the crowd to mention it.