New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What does Epic mean to you?

I'm in the very beginning stages of coming up with my own epic level rules for pathfinder. I would like to get some input from the playground. I've asked around on a few forums, so you may have seen these same questions on those forums :)

Epic Level play has become some what of a forgotten aspect of many games which is a shame.

What are the reasons?

Almost everything that previously was 3.5 D&D seems to have translated well enough, but Epic Level play is still left behind.

Is there anything good that can be salvaged from it?

Would it be best to have a brand new system to build from?

What do you want to see for epic level play?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What does Epic mean to you?

Are you familiar with Mythic Adventures? Because it's got some of the same feel as epic without some of the problems.

Maybe give that a shot first?

And if you really want to do epic, the biggest problem is fixing epic casting.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Mythic works well for epic campaigns in Pathfinder, although it's got its own set of problems. Anything beyond that just gets ridiculously out of hand, and I've never found it enjoyable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Epic Level play, and honestly play above 17th level, has always been one of those things that's fun in theory, but has never been fun in practice. The times I played, or built that high of level characters, combats just became slogs as every character cast and dispelled magic spells, it became hard to tell a coherent story when every relevant character or enemy could just bend reality to their will, and character sheets became so overloaded with modifiers and abilities that I was always forgetting some of them.