New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Transcription of the Stick

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    This. I don't want people's names to change. So Tarquin is always going to be Tarquin, even in strip 50, or when he's disguised as Thog. We can mention in the speaking character listing what might be different, such as that he's disguised as Thog or something. I don't want something like Tarquin Disguised as Thog: As the dialogue title. That's really unwieldy.
    Speaking of keeping constant character names: Anyone any great ideas how to deal with Durkon and the High Priest of Hel?

I personally think that we should keep Durkon for "the Dwarven entity formerly known as Durkon" in all cases (up to the current strips), and only use High Priest of Hel for the internal dialogue (is this a usable phrase? ).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Speaking of keeping constant character names: Anyone any great ideas how to deal with Durkon and the High Priest of Hel?

I personally think that we should keep Durkon for "the Dwarven entity formerly known as Durkon" in all cases (up to the current strips), and only use High Priest of Hel for the internal dialogue (is this a usable phrase? ).
    That's a good question. Per what I just said, he'd be High Priest of Hel from when he died, on. But that might be confusing for the reader, since he isn't introduced as that until around 100 strips later. Durkon's lines would be only his internal dialogue at this point with the HPoH.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good question. Per what I just said, he'd be High Priest of Hel from when he died, on. But that might be confusing for the reader, since he isn't introduced as that until around 100 strips later. Durkon's lines would be only his internal dialogue at this point with the HPoH.
    But was he even the High Priest of Hel from beginning after he died? Prior to Malak's death he was just a thrall. And I don't think we can say for certain how that works.

And especially the transition from Durkon to Vampire!Durkon would be imo a bit odd with a name change:

In #877 it is Durkon.
    in #878 it is High Priest of Hel.

Should this be a new character or not?

How did the person writing the transcript handle it?

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

But was he even the High Priest of Hel from beginning after he died? Prior to Malak's death he was just a thrall. And I don't think we can say for certain how that works.

And especially the transition from Durkon to Vampire!Durkon would be imo a bit odd with a name change:

In #877 it is Durkon.
    in #878 it is High Priest of Hel.

Should this be a new character or not?

How did the person writing the transcript handle it?
    From what it seems like, Hel got him as soon as he stopped being a thrall, so that would be the starting point.

So it seems like he'd be Durkon till death, then Thrall Durkon till released, then High Priest of Hel. I have him as Durkon in the transcription for the entirety of the transcription, and as the High Priest of Hel in 946. I had a discussion with DaggerPen about it when she was transcribing it, and that's how we went.

I think the High Priest should be treated as his own character, especially now that we are seeing his distinct personality as opposed to Durkon's. Just how to do it is the issue, because this is a complex thing. With Tarquin, we KNEW it was Tarquin, but the characters didn't. In this case, we're with the characters in the lack of knowledge until now. But if we go by when WE know, Tarquin would be "Elan's Father" in the first appearance he makes until we know that Tarquin and him are the same...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-04-10 at 11:44 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

I sent a PM to Evandor a few months ago now, and checked his profile recently to see if he's been on. Apparently not since January. As such, (since he volenteered to start them back in november, and it's now april and I haven't gotten any transcriptions, or responce in general) I'm opening that group back up in the Unclaimed Spoiler. If anyone would like to volenteer to take them, let me know.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I had a discussion with DaggerPen about it when he was transcribing it, and that's how we went.
    Sorry, slight tangent to say - she, actually.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Sorry, slight tangent to say - she, actually.
    Blast. I even know that was wrong. I apologize, I think I had Durkon on the brain.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Blast. I even know that was wrong. I apologize, I think I had Durkon on the brain.
    Heh, no worries.

Anyway, I'll get you my next transcription batch soon - some of the new formatting stuff is slowing me up a bit, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Also, re: names, my thought is that the reader of the transcript will be up to date with the comics and looking to the transcript for other reasons (doing a bulk search for "Thor's X" to back up an argument, to cite a recent example), so the character should be named with the most up-to-date knowledge available.

EDIT: Oh! One question while I'm at it, though - should I just skip over 313 entirely in the index, or do we want to leave the name and title in there even if it's textless? I have it in the list right now with "Easiest transcript ever" in the usual dialogue slot, but I have a feeling that's not going to fly in the proper version. :P
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-04-11 at 12:20 AM.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

If we switch from Durkon to High Priest of Hel, imo it definitely shouldn't be 946.

The two possible points I see is either 878 (directly after being "revived" as vampire)
    or 907 (directly after Malack's Death)

Especially for people interesting in where the High Priest of Hel slipped up with Durkon's ridiculous accent.

#946 doesn't change anything about Durkon/High Priest of Hel. It just reveals information. And imo we should use one (and only one) name for each character.

So if High Priest of Hel is a different character than Durkon, I think we should use the correct name the moment the character gets replaced. And that would be either 907 or 878. Probably 878. I would think Thrall-dom can be seen as a sort of Mind-Control on High Priest of Hel, which that we wouldn't need to have some intermediate-character like "Thrall!Durkon" or something like that.

To 313 (and other no-text-strips): I personally think we still need a transcription: First of all it still has information (title/link), and second of all it prevents people from speculating whether this was an error or not. First thing I would think when seeing a list "..., 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 314, 315, ..." that someone made an error and just missed 313. Having a more or less empty complete transcription there prevents that. I "transcribed" 887 to showcase this. I would do exactly the same with 313 (obvious adapting link/title/strip number)

Spoiler: Strip #887
    Show
    Strip #887: Happy Ending

<this strip has no written or spoken word>
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-04-11 at 02:22 AM.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, no worries.

Anyway, I'll get you my next transcription batch soon - some of the new formatting stuff is slowing me up a bit, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.
    Sounds good.

If we switch from Durkon to High Priest of Hel, imo it definitely shouldn't be 946.

The two possible points I see is either 878 (directly after being "revived" as vampire)
    or 907 (directly after Malack's Death)

Especially for people interesting in where the High Priest of Hel slipped up with Durkon's ridiculous accent.

#946 doesn't change anything about Durkon/High Priest of Hel. It just reveals information. And imo we should use one (and only one) name for each character.

So if High Priest of Hel is a different character than Durkon, I think we should use the correct name the moment the character gets replaced. And that would be either 907 or 878. Probably 878. I would think Thrall-dom can be seen as a sort of Mind-Control on High Priest of Hel, which that we wouldn't need to have some intermediate-character like "Thrall!Durkon" or something like that.
    Also, re: names, my thought is that the reader of the transcript will be up to date with the comics and looking to the transcript for other reasons (doing a bulk search for "Thor's X" to back up an argument, to cite a recent example), so the character should be named with the most up-to-date knowledge available.
    I agree. I'd say we should change all of the dialogue after Malack dies to the High Priest of Hel, and anything from when Durkon is a Vampire under Malack to simply be Undead Durkon, or Vampire Durkon or something of the sort. Perhaps even Trall Durkon. When did one of the characters get turned into a wight? Did they ever speak after? I could check there. I suppose we could just have him as Durkon until we know more about it all, and High Priest of Hel after Malack dies, because we DO know that.

EDIT: Oh! One question while I'm at it, though - should I just skip over 313 entirely in the index, or do we want to leave the name and title in there even if it's textless? I have it in the list right now with "Easiest transcript ever" in the usual dialogue slot, but I have a feeling that's not going to fly in the proper version. :P
    To 313 (and other no-text-strips): I personally think we still need a transcription: First of all it still has information (title/link), and second of all it prevents people from speculating whether this was an error or not. First thing I would think when seeing a list "..., 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 314, 315, ..." that someone made an error and just missed 313. Having a more or less empty complete transcription there prevents that. I "transcribed" 887 to showcase this. I would do exactly the same with 313 (obvious adapting link/title/strip number)

Spoiler: Strip #887
    Show
    Strip #887: Happy Ending

<this strip has no written or spoken word>
    Indeed. A notation saying "this strip has no written and spoken word" as Christian did, is how I'd go for it.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. I'd say we should change all of the dialogue after Malack dies to the High Priest of Hel, and anything from when Durkon is a Vampire under Malack to simply be Undead Durkon, or Vampire Durkon or something of the sort. Perhaps even Trall Durkon. When did one of the characters get turned into a wight? Did they ever speak after? I could check there. I suppose we could just have him as Durkon until we know more about it all, and High Priest of Hel after Malack dies, because we DO know that.
    Then I personally would switch from Durkon to High Priest of Hel the moment he resurrects. It doesn't make any sense that Durkon was in control while being a Thrall. While High Priest of Hel also wasn't in control, I would think "being a thrall" is close enough to mind-control effects that I would say that it isn't another character (or do we need Mind-controlled Belkar or something like that, too?). It also 'solves' the question what term to use for the intermediate strips.

I have transcribed #708, featuring a Goblin that gets reanimated. I have called it Reanimated Goblin. (But I'm not sure if we ever have seen that goblin speak before ).

Spoiler: Strip #708
    Show
    Strip #708: An Animated Discussion
    Booted Wight, Hobgoblin, Hobgoblin Cleric, Reanimated Hobgoblin, Redcloak, Tsukiko

[Hobgoblin]: ...and no one discovered it until the next shift came in, after the party was over.
    [Redcloak]: How many did we lose?
    [Hobgoblin]: 112 prisoners, eighteen of whom had been identified as having adventurer class levels and were scheduled for execution.
    [Redcloak]: Not the humans, I don't give a damn about humans! How many guards did we lose?
    [Hobgoblin]: They, uh...all of them, sir. They killed every goblin in the building. 43 soldiers and 4 browncloaks. Plus, a hobgoblin couple that had wandered away from the party was found dead with arrows in their backs. We think it's related.
    [Redcloak]: Damn it! I can't believe we actually HAVE elven insurgents in the city!
    [Hobgoblin Cleric]: Concentrate your search in that direction, Officer.
    [Redcloak]: Good idea, they probably stumbled on the attackers while - Ah, crap.
    [Hobgoblin Cleric]: What is she doing here?
    <sfx> pop!
    [Tsukiko]: Don't mind us, continue your cop drama. I can help myself. Create Und -
    [Redcloak]: STOP!!
    [Tsukiko]: Hey!
    <sfx> fizzle!
    [Tsukiko]: What the hell, Broccoli-face? If you want to animate these ones yourself, just say so. I'll start on the ones inside.
    [Redcloak]: No one is animating anything!
    [Tsukiko]: Uh, hello? Xykon told us both that we needed to replenish our supply of high-end undead before we left.
    [Redcloak]: These goblins died defending their posts, I will not have their remains desecrated!
    [Tsukiko]: OK, then, if I can't use these corpses, I guess I'll have to ask Xykon to provide me with some fresh ones. 'Cause I'm sure he'll have no problem finding some that died in a less honorable manner - for example, screaming and begging for their prophet to save them. Dies that sound like a good idea to you - Wrong-Eye?
    [Redcloak]: ...No.
    [Tsukiko]: Oh! Then I guess I'm free to use these bodies here?
    [Redcloak]: Yes. Go ahead.
    [Tsukiko]: Yeah. That's what I thought.
    [Booted Wight]: Mistress, what does "Wrong-Eye" mean?
    [Tsukiko]: Beats me. Xykon told me to call him that if he got too uppity. Create Undead!
    [Hobgoblin Cleric]: She's not staying here when you leave, right?
    [Redcloak]: Don't worry, I ordered my super-size Impotence Special "to go".
    [Tsukiko]: Hello, little one. I'm your Mommy.
    [Reanimated Hobgoblin]: I crave mortal flesh!
    [Tsukiko]: Awwww, Baby wants his num-num, doesn't he?

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Then I personally would switch from Durkon to High Priest of Hel the moment he resurrects. It doesn't make any sense that Durkon was in control while being a Thrall. While High Priest of Hel also wasn't in control, I would think "being a thrall" is close enough to mind-control effects that I would say that it isn't another character (or do we need Mind-controlled Belkar or something like that, too?). It also 'solves' the question what term to use for the intermediate strips.
    Upon reviewing Strip 946, Hel says - Malack may have sired you, but... ...you were birthed in my halls. I think that tell us that changing him to High Priest of Hel for the duration of negative energy Durkon is a good call. I'll start changing those now.

EDIT: As for Dwarven, and writing out the translation of it, it looks like the general consensus is - its going to be more work as we encounter more dwarves, but it has value staying in. Just remember, some dwarves don't speak with the accent, like Hilga!

The bolding of the character names seems to have really made things clearer and easier to read, so thanks a lot guys. I'm currently working on getting some of these transcriptions shined up nice from the first book, so bear with me. Let me know if you see any scripting issues!

Also, for those of you looking to contribute - a new grouping has opened up in the unclaimed subscriptions - 206 - 250.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-04-11 at 07:04 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Hey, how are we supposed to handle signs with both text and and important drawings on them, again? Stuff like the "Normal, You" and phrenology chart sign in 303? I had skipped over them one because the text by itself makes like no sense in either, but I'm thinking now that the format might call for something different, especially given the jokes in the phrenology chart?
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-04-13 at 02:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, how are we supposed to handle signs with both text and and important drawings on them, again? Stuff like the "Normal, You" and phrenology chart sign in 303? I had skipped over them one because the text by itself makes like no sense in either, but I'm thinking now that the format might call for something different, especially given the jokes in the phrenology chart?
    <card text> Normal. You.

<chart text> yadda. yadda. yadda.

I know the joke is lessened by not seeing it visually, but I think the idea can still be appreciated. The speech above the chart is the doctor speaking, so it seems like that would be a voiceover.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so the 3rd post in the OP is now issues to be discussed/fixed. I have multiple format descisions I'd like input on, if any one is interested to put in their two cents. I've got the whole transcription that is posted so far bolded appropriately, and I've gone through the rest that I have off site and done it too.

As for names, I had a question. We call everyone by their first name in the transciption dialogue. Should we put their full name? Just put their full name in the character list at the beginning, perhaps?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

How should we set up actions within or without a panel.
    It's been suggested - [voiceover] Haley: <whispering> (so something happening to speaker outside [like a voiceover], something the speaker is doing inside [like a whisper])
    I don't understand what you're asking.

How should we designate panels 3 - 9 in this strip?

Spoiler: Strip 31
    Show
    Strip 31: All-You-Can-Eat Brain Buffet
    Elan, Mind Flayer, Roy, Vaarsuvius

Elan: What's a “zyqxuwy”?
    Mind Flayer: It's a type of fish.
    Elan: Oh, OK. And on a triple word score...
    Roy: There you are! We've been looking all over for you!
    Elan: Hey guys! Meet my new friend...
    <Voiceover text> Hey kids! See what the Mind Flayer is thinking!
    Mind Flayer: <thinking> Filling, but bland. Tasty, but too sweet. Too angry...I'd get heartburn. Next! Now we're getting somewhere... Mmmmmmmm...
    Roy: Aaaaah!
    Haley: Why is he just attacking Roy like that?
    Vaarsuvius: Why are you eating him?? I am a wizard! A delectable 18 Intelligence right before you!
    Elan: Would you feel better if one of us ate your brain?
    Vaarsuvius: No, it just wouldn't be the same. *Sigh*
    Roy: A little help here?
    <sfx> slurp slurp slurp
    That looks fine to me.

How do we represent multiple consecutive cutaways, like in this strip?

Spoiler: Strip 50
    Show
    Strip 50: The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan & Nale
    Nale, Elan, Elan's Mother, Mr. Jones, Durkon

<announcement text> The Order of the Stick Presents… The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan & Nale! (I mean, it’s not like you couldn’t have figured it out.)
    Elan: Wow, this is exciting. I've never been in the first group before!
    Nale: Well, Elan, I wanted the chance to talk to you. You know, the moment you opened that door, I thought to myself, “Why, here's a handsome fellow!” Ha ha ha! But seriously. I think there is a deeper relationship between us than any of which you are aware.
    Elan: Are- are you hitting on me?
    Nale: What?!?
    Elan: Because, whatever you heard about what happened at Summer Camp—
    Nale: No, no, Elan. Not like that. I meant that I think we might be brothers.
    Elan: Oh. Cool, I never had a brother before. Are you sure?
    Nale: No, but I thought we could compare stories of our childhoods and see if they match.
    Elan: Ooo! Ooo! Me first!
    <cutaway>
    Elan: <voiceover> My Mommy raised me by herself. She's a barmaid, and the nicest, kindest person in the whole village. She told me that my Dad was a mean fighting guy who left her and me behind when he went off to battle.
    Elan's Mother: <singing> Serve, serve, serve, serve refreshing adult beverages!
    <cutaway>
    Nale: <voiceover> Ah, see, now, my Father was a cold and ruthless general of a nigh-unstoppable army. He told me he had abandoned my good-two-shoes mother in some small backwards village.
    <sign text> BABY ON BOARD
    <cutback>
    Elan: Aw man, those stories don't match at all!
    <sfx> SMACK!
    Elan: Wow, those stories match perfectly! I wonder why they split up, though.
    <cutaway>
    Mr. Jones: Your honor, my client is suing for divorce on the grounds of Irreconcilable Alignment Differences. He's Lawful Evil and his wife appears to be Chaotic Good.
    <cutback>
    Nale: I'm also unable to explain the apparent gulf in our mental faculties...
    <cutaway>
    Elan's Mother: Nale! Stop hitting your twin brother in his soft undeveloped baby skull!
    <sfx> SMACK!
    <cutback>
    Durkon: Go fish.
    Nale: ...And it certainly doesn't explain why they would never tell us about each other.
    Elan: Oh, that I understand. See, by not telling us, it increases the potential dramatic tension should we ever encounter each other as adults. What? Oh, I'm a bard, that kind of stuff comes naturally.
    Nale: A bard, huh? My father taught me that bards were underpowered.
    Elan: Really? So what class are you?
    Nale: I'm a multiclass fighter/rogue/sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells.
    Elan: And that never struck you as needlessly complicated?
    Nale: Not until this moment, no.
    Frankly, I don't see why we should treat cutaways specially in the first place. Cutaway panels aren't framed any differently to...non-cutawayed panels.

What names should we give the reoccuring characters - Goblin Teen 1 and Goblin Teen 2, who first appear in Strip 93?
    Pimpled Goblin Teen and Bespectacled Goblin Teen?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

As for names, I had a question. We call everyone by their first name in the transciption dialogue. Should we put their full name? Just put their full name in the character list at the beginning, perhaps?
    I'm not sure it's strictly necessary? I tend to spell out Julio's full name, but for the main cast I only use first names, and a lot of people only have first names. And for characters like Laurin or Miron, that'd be a really long name for the transcription. So I think that just first names are fine where not ambiguous.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright! Book one corrected with the addition of 121, which proved difficult to add due to character count. Let's just say the second two posts are chocked full of characters, and even with getting rid of a few repetitive characters, I wasn't able to squeeze it in. I think that's better anyway, since that gives me more room for adjustments to the post later. Shifted the post group up one, bumping 91 into the 3rd post, and 61 into the 2nd. Now we're good, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post

That looks fine to me.

Frankly, I don't see why we should treat cutaways specially in the first place. Cutaway panels aren't framed any differently to...non-cutawayed panels.

I'm asking if we should have two seperate groups as Christian suggested, where things that come after the character name are things like weather they are whispering, thinking, singing or what not, and things that come before the characters name are things like voiceovers, which describe that the dialogue as a whole is a voiceover.

--

I might make it say <announcement text> instead of <voiceover text> but okay.

--

Because some cut aways have the same person speaking, but are in a different situation, similar to a flashback, which we DO denote. As such, denoting the sudden change of scene gives information that is valuable to the understanding of the dialogue. I'll give you an example:

Elan: Next letter, from Amber in Canada:
    <card text> I love Haley! She's a rogue, but would you say she's more of a ninja-rogue, or more of a pirate-rogue?
    Haley: Ahhhhhhh, Ninja vs. Pirate, the age old debate.
    Belkar: And by "age old," she means "showed up on the Internet like two years ago, at most."
    Haley: But which lifestyle is more to my liking...Ninja...
    <cutaway>
    Human 2: Please! I will give you my unusually vast and particularly glittery fortune! Just spare my life.
    Haley: Honor demands that I must refuse. Prepare to die.
    <cutback>
    Haley: ...or pirate?
    --

How about Goblin Teen with Zits and Goblin Teen with Glasses?

I'm not sure it's strictly necessary? I tend to spell out Julio's full name, but for the main cast I only use first names, and a lot of people only have first names. And for characters like Laurin or Miron, that'd be a really long name for the transcription. So I think that just first names are fine where not ambiguous.
    What about for people like Ian Starshine when we first see him in 91? I see what you mean though. The character counts are pretty nuts as it is, adding a last name to each person at the beginning of each strip might break the thread.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I'm asking if we should have two seperate groups as Christian suggested, where things that come after the character name are things like weather they are whispering, thinking, singing or what not, and things that come before the characters name are things like voiceovers, which describe that the dialogue as a whole is a voiceover.
    Oh.

Well then, I think that any speaking line should start with the speaker's name, and any modifiers (including such thing as marking it as a voiceover, or a sound effect linked to a character like Blackwing's "caw"s) should come after that.

Because some cut aways have the same person speaking, but are in a different situation, similar to a flashback, which we DO denote. As such, denoting the sudden change of scene gives information that is valuable to the understanding of the dialogue.
    Oh...so because we're not tracking panel changes in general, we need to track panel changes where panel changes could matter because we're not tracking panel changes. Got it. (Also seeing more of why ChristianSt would want to keep track of panels....)

How about Goblin Teen with Zits and Goblin Teen with Glasses?
    That could work too, but starting lines with the same characters could have some minor impact on readability if they're talking one after the other. (Same reason I named the small-part bandits in the bandit camp with "Bandit" as the last word in their appellation instead of the first)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright! We're chugging forward with contributions, but I'm still missing a bunch as listed in the OP. Also, as of 950, we're getting into new Updates that also haven't been spoken for, so new comers (or contributors who would like to pick up another group), you've got your pick of the litter!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Low on taker-uppers, huh? I guess I'll keep going and take 205-250, then.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I'll put you down! Thank you!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Alrighty, judging from the lack of response from oppyu, his or her remaining strips are going into the unclaimed spot. It's been quite a while since their original contributions, and hasn't posted since the beginning of may, so if anyone is interested in 0761 – 0800 (39 strips), please let me know! Also, strips 0122 - 0150 (28 strips) are also up for grabs, if anyone would like to take them.

Further, I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributions again, large or small. You folks are doing a wonderful job, and with your work, we only have 73 more strips to transcribe (aside from the current entries that are coming in) before we're caught up to the comic! Once I get 0122 - 0150, I can begin working on editing in earnest the second book - "No Cure for Paladin Blues" - and continue.

Just know that even when we've caught up, there's likely more work to do! Editing mistakes I miss, rectifying hard formatting, possibly even transcribing other material such as "Origins of the PC's" and "Start of Darkness" and so on, but that's way far off, especially since I don't even own those books. Might be a side project you folks could take on if there's a desire.

Either way, again, thank you for making this thread so successful, folks! We have succeeded where at least three other threads have failed, and that right there is an excellent accomplishment. Well done.

One more thing-
    I also noticed a Latin Translation project starting up for the comic...but it seemed a little disorganized. Anyone have any thoughts on including it in the OP?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Just know that even when we've caught up, there's likely more work to do! Editing mistakes I miss, rectifying hard formatting, possibly even transcribing other material such as "Origins of the PC's" and "Start of Darkness" and so on, but that's way far off, especially since I don't even own those books. Might be a side project you folks could take on if there's a desire.
    Before even thinking of starting with the Transcription of the print only stuff you should check whether we are even allowed to do. But just doing this sounds like something that will cause legal trouble.

One more thing-
    I also noticed a Latin Translation project starting up for the comic...but it seemed a little disorganized. Anyone have any thoughts on including it in the OP?
    Your call.

I haven't compared it to the other threads - but from what I know at least the German translation isn't really organized either. Maybe it would be reasonable to set some sort of threshold? E.g. only including translations that include 100 (or some other number) of strips - so that you don't need to include all random threads that got some attention over the curse of a few days only.

(Though honestly I think you could just remove this section altogether if you wanted.)

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Before even thinking of starting with the Transcription of the print only stuff you should check whether we are even allowed to do. But just doing this sounds like something that will cause legal trouble.
    Agreed. Without giving any kind of legal advice, I'd guess it falls under copyright violation. Or, put in other words, if the Giant wanted those strips in electronic format, he'd sell the pdfs. As someone that has transcribed from SoD, I'm already hesitant as it is from having put a couple of pages from the books into the MitD thread, even though it is for reference purposes only, and limited in scope.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

You might be right, but from my research, The Giant allows for the text of his work to be posted, just not the images. This allowance is how myself and the other translations operate, including the Haley tranlations. There wouldn't be any difference logistically between the comics on the website, and the book only comics in regards to that stipulation, but I'll probably er on the side of caution here, and refrain.

Your call.

I haven't compared it to the other threads - but from what I know at least the German translation isn't really organized either. Maybe it would be reasonable to set some sort of threshold? E.g. only including translations that include 100 (or some other number) of strips - so that you don't need to include all random threads that got some attention over the curse of a few days only.

(Though honestly I think you could just remove this section altogether if you wanted.)
    I know it might be a needless section in many ways, but I like that it is on here, and honestly, I'm always for relating projects with each other. I think for now I'll hold off, as it seems at the beginning it wasn't starting witht he best intentions...

Edited in some links above.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-06-19 at 07:58 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You might be right, but from my research, The Giant allows for the text of his work to be posted, just not the images. This allowance is how myself and the other translations operate. There wouldn't be any difference logistically between the comics on the website, and the book only comics in regards to that stipulation, but I'll probably er on the side of caution here.
    Personally, I would go against transcripting the books. The main difference between the online comics and the book-only comics is that the former are available for free online, whereas the book ones are not. If the books were available in the same fashion as the comics, then I wouldn't be against it. I guess the best thing to do would be to ask a moderator or the Giant, if we want an official answer to this.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Personally, I would go against transcripting the books. The main difference between the online comics and the book-only comics is that the former are available for free online, whereas the book ones are not. If the books were available in the same fashion as the comics, then I wouldn't be against it. I guess the best thing to do would be to ask a moderator or the Giant, if we want an official answer to this.
    If I decide to pursue the idea, I'll ask. In the mean time, I'll just focus on what I already have on my plate. It was really just an idea I had as I was typing, but yeah, that's a valid point. Thanks, everyone!

But yey for 73 transcriptions left!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-06-19 at 08:03 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

You might be right, but from my research, The Giant allows for the text of his work to be posted, just not the images. This allowance is how myself and the other translations operate, including the Haley tranlations. There wouldn't be any difference logistically between the comics on the website, and the book only comics in regards to that stipulation, but I'll probably er on the side of caution here, and refrain.
    There is one major difference: One is freely available online in its original form. The other is not. Anyone could just go to the comic website and read the comic himself (you even provide links to them!). With the book content that is not possible. At least I haven't seen any translation of any book-only content so far. [Also if we want to get technical The Giant's post only says that translations are allowed. While this translate some things into English, I wouldn't really call a transcription a translation, so this might be already a somewhat grey area.]

At least it is a realistic concern that a complete transcript might interfere with sales (probably this is already too much talk about it, since the Giant's business model isn't something we should discuss, so I won't go more into that topic).

So before posting that goes in this direction you should get permission from Rich - and if you can't get that (for whatever reason), I wouldn't continue this path. Yes - from time to time I myself quote stuff from print only-content. But there is a large difference between quoting a small portion (which is usually not more than a few sentences) in a discussion so I don't have to start playing the telephone game and providing a transcription.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, well as I said, if I so desire to pursue that venue with any gusto, I will ask the Giant about it first. Thanks for the advice all!

In the mean time...would anyone like to take one of the final available chunks?

World Building Projects:
    Magic