New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Barbarian help with limited source books, need help!

First, yay for GitP being back!

Details: I was too OP. I optimize a lot, even when I tell myself "Just play it straight"...consequently, the others in the group were not anywhere near my power scale.

So reroll time.

The rules- Step 1: choose class, Step 2: roll stats (3d6, no rerolls, in order from STR to CHA), Step 3: choose race. Limited to +4 LA for free.
    Books: PHB 1+2, DMG 1+2, MM 1+2, Planar Handbook (it's a Planescape campaign), ANY Forgotten Realms books, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Them:
    lvl 1 bard...terrible stats. Focusing on spells and ranged.
    lvl 1 rogue...terrible stats, but playing Githyanki with no LA, so helps dex a bit at least. Focusing on ranged.

Me:
    Chose barbarian. Scores were STR-12, DEX-9, CON-9, INT-12, WIS-9, CHA-9...yeah I thought it was weird too.
    Race...Wemic. I actually found Tauric in MM2, and was going to do a Tauric Lion, but with a lion's head, too, so asked DM if I could use Miniatures Handbook so I could get Catfolk for the humanoid half...He said yes, and I showed him the picture I found of exactly that...he says "Isn't that already a race?"
    I know nothing about Faerun, and, sure enough, there was indeed a Wemic...almost identical stats, too.

We get to drop all Racial Hit Dice(along with skills/feats/etc from them), so I had +1 LA left. Added Mineral Warrior for more durability.

Here's my issue...the actual build.
    Everything above is set in stone...everything else....that's a big NOW WHAT?!

I no alternate class features from UA, nothing from any Complete or Race books...it's taking all of the "good stuff" in both of the barbarian handbooks that I've read:
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...php?topic=2502
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-to-Barbarians

I'm open to any class/prcs, feats, skills, specific weapons, armors, etc....

Everything I read says to use things that are in a book that I'm banned from.

So far my only idea is Barb 1, Psychic Warrior 11. One of the 2nd lvl PW powers costs 3 pp and lets me Pounce. Use will be severely limited by my -2 Wisdom modifier....(better than the -4 Charisma mod...). But it's pounce.

It seems like Pounce is nearly required. Everything says by lvl 11 at the latest.

I saw Telflammar Shadowlord PrC (Shadow Pounce at level 4) and Crinti Shadow Marauder PrC (Shadow Pounce at level 5), but I'm not sure if they're the way to go.

ALL feedback welcome, but ONLY for the books listed above...no exceptions.

Thanks GitP!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Barbarian help with limited source books, need help!

Rolled stats with no drops? In a predetermined stat order? After you choose your class?

Jesus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a Barbarian concept and access to all of Faerun, I have to suggest Runescarred Berzerker, assuming the DM doesn't go with the silly RAW "impossible to qualify for in 3.5" pedantic reading.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Rolled stats with no drops? In a predetermined stat order? After you choose your class?

Jesus.
    Quite.

I'll reread RS Berserker...something about it made me think it was bad...I'll check it out.

-EDIT-
    Oh right...I have a 7 Wisdom, and to use the lowest runescars you need at least an 11....
    Last edited by boxfox; 2014-04-01 at 04:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boxfox View Post
    Quite.

I'll reread RS Berserker...something about it made me think it was bad...I'll check it out.

-EDIT-
    Oh right...I have a 7 Wisdom, and to use the lowest runescars you need at least an 11....
    At 11th level, you have the means to fix that, unless the DM is also denying your Character any starting funds.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ugh, I'd refuse to build a character using that system. Keep in mind that (by most interpretations) you can't use psionics while raging and Shadow Marauder is a mounted class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ouch. Hmm, yeah, are you sure you wouldn't rather run a warblade? Or dip a level of Barbarian on a warblade for Rage?

What level does a Binders 6th level Vestiges come online at? There's a nice one that let's you get Pounce, a Str bonus that stacks with pretty much everything and makes all your melee attacks/weapons be treated like there ghost touch which saves you money on a once in awhile thing you need to be able to deal with at this level. And your other Vestiges can be used to get you some other situational tricks or passive buffs that are worth having and to get you some pact augmentation to help your Initiative/attack roll to hit/pay for Power Attack.

And depending on the level, you can still Grab a level of Barbarian for Rage and then just progress as a Warblade. This isn't the most optimized option, your too not focused on one class to really be milking anything, but it might be fun to play in a low op group.

Edit: It occurs to me there are some templates floating around that might help you some and don't have LA, like Dragon Born. Or if your already Large, Half Minotaur/Half Oger. Though that might be straying a bit far form trying to do this with limited sources.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2014-04-01 at 04:37 PM.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

@Amphetryon: I'd need +8 Wisdom for all 5 levels of "casting"...that's a lot of money, and the spell list isn't very good. The antimagic field would be kool vs casters and whatnot, but hardly worth 9 levels of PrC for it. Just not sold yet. Can you point out what you like about them?

@HammeredWharf: As a Wemic, I'm pretty much always "mounted". Like a Centaur, but a lion instead. Forgot about no psionics during a rage...but they also help prep for fights and I'll be able to heal a little afterwards, too. And It's not like I'll always be raging.

@Metahuman1: I can't use Warblade or anything that isn't in the books I listed at the beginning of the first post. Also, my race is set= Wemic with Mineral Warrior template. No additional racial adjustments are available, because I have maxed out the possible number of Level Adjustments.

I need help with the classes, prc's, feats, and skills.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm, this is gonna sound cheesy, buuut....

Wizard/Barbarian/Incantatrix, built to pimp out quicken and extend spell. If you can get access to that feat that let's you cast two spells on one action go for that one as well, though I can't recall if it's a Forgotten Realms feat or something else. Make it so you can reliably buff yourself into the stratosphere. You can raise your in as needed, Polymorph into mighty forms that complement your physical stats by replacing them, and drop potent buffs like Haste and Displacement on yourself and research wizard versions of useful spells form other casters like Divine Power, Righteous might and Bite of the Werebear.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I appreciate the response, and really enjoy the "outside the box" nature of it.

That said, I'd rather stick with straight melee combat. I'm the only real thing between the monsters and 2 light armor-wearing, no HP-having sneaky fellas with low everything.