New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community W-B Game IV: **** Is Getting Real... It's Always Getting Real!

As I said earlier I was told to contact other new member of the empire about a PM conversation, which I have seen many here referring to in there posts.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community W-B Game IV: **** Is Getting Real... It's Always Getting Real!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Aye, I saw my mistake after the fact.

You're right, hence my concern on how tribute gained resources would be handled in trade situations since beyond satisfying import necessities resources are really only mechanically good for trade.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that's not entirely true. Extra food resources do give a bonus to population growth I believe, though I don't think there's any official rules on that right now. In that vein Sam and I were discussing a couple weeks back the use of luxury goods such as silk, gold, etc. I think having them increase population as well at a lower amount of increase than a food resource might be a good idea or they could serve as a bonus to Diplomacy when attempting to stabilize a region as two ideas just off the top of my head. In any event, population determination does need a look.
    For luxury goods, I have two suggestions.
    1. Having luxury goods increases the "happiness" of a populace, making them more resistant to diplomacy. Maybe giving a +1/2 defensive bonus if you have enough luxury goods. Such goods would not increase population.
    2. "Spend" luxury goods to hire mercenaries. Each luxury good can be "traded" to an NPC, effectively removing it from the game, to have an extra military unit that isn't limited by population.

If we went with this, we'd want to limit luxury goods to perhaps no more than 1 per region or every other region and not above a certain resource quality.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2014-04-05 at 11:24 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    1. Having luxury goods increases the "happiness" of a populace, making them more resistant to diplomacy. Maybe giving a +1/2 defensive bonus if you have enough luxury goods. Such goods would not increase population.
    2. "Spend" luxury goods to hire mercenaries. Each luxury good can be "traded" to an NPC, effectively removing it from the game, to have an extra military unit that isn't limited by population.

If we went with this, we'd want to limit luxury goods to perhaps no more than 1 per region or every other region and not above a certain resource quality.
    I like the ideas, but diplomacy hasn't really been used against other nations and I'm not sure there's much mechanics for such a thing. But, if having more luxury goods available made certain diplomacy situations get modifiers that might be a good idea. Bonuses to pressing claims, calming rebellions, that sort of thing. Maybe a +1 modifier for every 2 unique luxury goods? Just spit balling.

As for the mercenary idea I quite like the concept of a mechanic to get troops above troop limit by hiring them but where do 1,000 armed soldiers just appear from if not yours or someone else's population? And if that's where they're coming from you could probably just hire the soldiers from the NPC/PC nation that has them. For instance, the roaming Bereginians who just lost their home could become sellswords but I imagine they would demand different prices based on differing needs. The same could apply for other nomadic peoples, having them receive payment in exchange for doing something but I think that would be a case by case trade basis rather than based solely on luxury goods.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-05 at 11:53 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes1266 View Post
    As I said earlier I was told to contact other new member of the empire about a PM conversation, which I have seen many here referring to in there posts.
    Hey there. There was nothing in the PM that hasn't also been discussed here; it was really just initiating the discussion over where on the map we wanted to start and what mutual support measures we wanted to take.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #35

Alright thank you. I just want to ask a few things if that's not to much hassle.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Ask away. I'm not sure how much help we other newbies can be at this point though, since we haven't got our regions determined or entered the game properly yet.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I know quite a bit about this game (or I think I do anyway).
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I know quite a bit about this game (or I think I do anyway).
    Same here haha Happy to help as best I can which I think is relatively well. Maybe.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-05 at 01:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

First I would like to know what major races there are in the world so that I can make a decision without accidentally altering or remaking pre-made race and I would also like to know a bit about the pre-set geography of the available areas

10. - Top - End - #40

First I would like to know what major races there are in the world so that I can make a decision without accidentally altering or remaking pre-made race and I would also like to know a bit about the pre-set geography of the available areas
    I can answer your first question:
    Humans are everywhere, but are generally concentrated in the centre of our landmass. Lizardfolk are found only in the west, and beastfolk only in the east. Dwarves are scattered all over, but generally near mountains, some subterranean elves are in Eyrecradia and there's goblins everywhere. Berapi also exist; they're like elementally aligned humanoids, so far there's fire and frost varieties.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The geography on the other hand is usually to be defined by the first controlling player, though you can use general cues like "White and brown means mountains, bright green means temperate, etc." to give yourself ideas.

Also, a question for Morph! Since I've for-sure claimed 57 and 58 (and also 56 unless Sam brings an army in), do we know anything about these regions in terms of population and resources? I've got some ideas based on the assumption of two undefined good resources each, but I could be wrong.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

As for the first in the spoiler in this post there's a map of the demographics of the surface world with a legend below it Here as for the race specifics Humans and Dwarves of the big 3 races already exist and subterranean elves mark our only elven culture so far. Silverbit hit it on the head and if you're curious about a specific race check the nation post that contains them.

As for predefined geography, there usually isn't any. Green areas on the map have been free to be plains or forests or what have you. Rocky mountain regions are mountains, deserts will presumably look like deserts. Outside of that it's up to the player to decide. Now, I don't know which areas are available but I know there was talk of being down in the south. If that's the case it'll likely be mountainy, not that I found a full map or anything...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

60 looks nice and it said it is unclaimed spot. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Hobbes1266; 2014-04-05 at 03:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

60 looks nice and it said it is unclaimed spot. Thank you for your help.
    I don't know if this will still apply since you're making it a player region but when it was first discovered we got this information regarding Region 60

"Region 60 (discovered by Lyradis) appears largely barren. It has one Great resource though, in the form of a native creature—to be decided by the player to fully colonize the region. The region has 51000 inhabitants."

It may be that Morph would overturn this for a new player, in fact he probably would if you wanted to do your own thing not restricted by that, but since he's gone for the weekend we won't have an official ruling til he gets back. Still, it's there if you want to work with it.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

I would be fine with that in fact it would be very fun to work with

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

As for the first in the spoiler in this post there's a map of the demographics of the surface world with a legend below it Here as for the race specifics Humans and Dwarves of the big 3 races already exist and subterranean elves mark our only elven culture so far.
    I just realized the Tekorvanin have only the most fabulous of colours.

If you want to poke me for more about the Yorukuninin, feel free.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck
    Ah yes, the Yorukun, perhaps after my trip to the temple I might venture to their great lands. Stories tell of their rich history and they speak of a proud and ancient race. It is my hopes I might discover more from these people as well as see further what differentiates Tekorvans from the prevalent humans aside from their massive height.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

17. - Top - End - #47

Hey Quinton, you wanted Alice for marriage, right? I want to make sure that I have this correct, as I deleted those PMs.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

[list=1][*]Having luxury goods increases the "happiness" of a populace, making them more resistant to diplomacy
    I have also suggested that it give a bonus to 'resisting' Faith based changes to the population. At the moment, there is no defense agaisnt missionaries other than an opposed roll. It the people have lots of luxury,they should be harder to convert.

Also, whatever happened to Paco and his 'heresy'?
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-04-05 at 07:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I have also suggested that it give a bonus to 'resisting' Faith based changes to the population. At the moment, there is no defense agaisnt missionaries other than an opposed roll. It the people have lots of luxury,they should be harder to convert.

Frankly, I don't see how luxury would affect Faith that much. It seems much more likely to resist the rebellions that Diplomacy actions can create. But that's just my opinion having not yet actually played.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Hey Quinton, you wanted Alice for marriage, right? I want to make sure that I have this correct, as I deleted those PMs.
    Yep, Alice to Dyamusan, we can betroth them at the Second Grand Ball in Aloren next round. I figure she'll come to live in Woodwind?

On the note of the Second Grand Ball, those interested in acquiring ocean faring tech feel welcome to come and trade for it. That is, those who aren't Alydaxis, Kasumor, Scla'Ca, and Celero (and Genivana & HT though they'll be getting it once federation completes so ) who if they attend will get it for free unless they desire otherwise as gratitude for previous aid granted to the Ignato Empire. Let it be known that the technology for Plate Armor is desired from any who currently possess it. Also, I've got lots of fish to trade if people are looking to diversify food resources as well as goats. I've also got a fair amount of spices still to trade and one tradable unit of Nyrothian silk still left, for all your finest clothes and banners. Lumber as well if anyone still needs the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post

For some reason I just like making that area pink-violet. I've usually used other colors by the time I get there and if it isn't vibrant it doesn't show up on the white.

I may do that, but I'll hold off to see how the situation with the place develops first. If I end up not being near it at all there's no point getting all excited over something I won't get to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post

That's a good idea too. Having resources give bonuses to rolls other than strictly military ones is just generally a good concept.

Paco is in Genivana along with Clear Eyes. I think. Either that or the Lyradisian/Guilderene rumors are true and he's living in Sycia as a follower of the Doctrine of the Frost.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-05 at 08:05 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Frankly, I don't see how luxury would affect Faith that much. It seems much more likely to resist the rebellions that Diplomacy actions can create. But that's just my opinion having not yet actually played.
    Hm, I agree and I would also like to see more of these phantom rebellions. So far though, there was a Faith rebellion a few rounds ago.

For some reason I just like making that area pink-violet. I've usually used other colors by the time I get there and if it isn't vibrant it doesn't show up on the white.

I may do that, but I'll hold off to see how the situation with the place develops first. If I end up not being near it at all there's no point getting all excited over something I won't get to mess with.
    Heheh, someone had to be fabulous. ^^

Well if you get bored you can write AUs. I already have a headcanon for what was/is going on. Also, that's true.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

So everyone knows, Slayer and Wombat supported my claim to Qarimos, so I'll be taking control of them next round. I'm pretty sure I've got all of the trade deals worked out:

Qarimosi Ships for Sympol Lumber
    Qarimosi Spice for Domhan Lumber and Guilderene Crops
    Qarimosi Elephants for Lyradissian Pottery/Bricks and Grmanhili Iron

Tychris, Wombat, Burke, and Slayer, could you confirm these are accurate? Everyone else, could you check to make sure you're not trading something with Qarimos that's not on this list? Trying to clean things up but I'm not finding many records.

While we're advertising available resources, please let me know if anyone is interested in:

1 stack of Heartwine
    1 stacks of colored stone
    2 stacks of Qarimosi ocean-faring ships
    1 stack of Qarimosi spices
    1 stack of Qarimosi elephants

Thanks!
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, I agree and I would also like to see more of these phantom rebellions. So far though, there was a Faith rebellion a few rounds ago.

Heheh, someone had to be fabulous. ^^

Well if you get bored you can write AUs. I already have a headcanon for what was/is going on. Also, that's true.
    AUs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    So everyone knows, Slayer and Wombat supported my claim to Qarimos, so I'll be taking control of them next round. I'm pretty sure I've got all of the trade deals worked out:

Qarimosi Ships for Sympol Lumber
    Qarimosi Spice for Domhan Lumber and Guilderene Crops
    Qarimosi Elephants for Lyradissian Pottery/Bricks and Grmanhili Iron

Tychris, Wombat, Burke, and Slayer, could you confirm these are accurate? Everyone else, could you check to make sure you're not trading something with Qarimos that's not on this list? Trying to clean things up but I'm not finding many records.

While we're advertising available resources, please let me know if anyone is interested in:

1 stack of Heartwine

Thanks!
    I'd be interested in elephants. *He says quickly before anyone else can jump on board*

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Yep, Alice to Dyamusan, we can betroth them at the Second Grand Ball in Aloren next round. I figure she'll come to live in Woodwind?

On the note of the Second Grand Ball, those interested in acquiring ocean faring tech feel welcome to come and trade for it. That is, those who aren't Alydaxis, Kasumor, Scla'Ca, and Celero (and Genivana & HT though they'll be getting it once federation completes so ) who if they attend will get it for free unless they desire otherwise as gratitude for previous aid granted to the Ignato Empire. Let it be known that the technology for Plate Armor is desired from any who currently possess it. Also, I've got lots of fish to trade if people are looking to diversify food resources as well as goats. I've also got a fair amount of spices still to trade and one tradable unit of Nyrothian silk still left, for all your finest clothes and banners. Lumber as well if anyone still needs the stuff.
    Alright, making sure I remembered right.
    Is there any resource you particularly would want for ocean-faring ships? I have a C5 for something, and I don't have any (good) ideas, so if you want something, I could make it appear, as if by magic!
    1 stack of Heartwine

Thanks!
    Elephants sounds kind of nice... I don't have much for trade, though. At least, nothing that I'm not already trading to you.
    Seriously, though, all I've got is goats, or whatever QB wants. EDIT: And olive oil! I think. May have traded all that out, actually. Or possibly traded some to you already. I should keep track of my trades better.

EDIT: Nooooo ninja'd for elephants!

EDIT AGAIN: While we're on trade and resources, I have goats, glass, and olive oil. I need some form of metal, either iron or bronze. Anyone attending the ball next turn interested?
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-04-05 at 08:37 PM.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

AUs?
    Alternate universe.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Alternate universe.
    Oh, alright, gotcha.

Alright, making sure I remembered right.
    Is there any resource you particularly would want for ocean-faring ships? I have a C5 for something, and I don't have any (good) ideas, so if you want something, I could make it appear, as if by magic!

Elephants sounds kind of nice... I don't have much for trade, though. At least, nothing that I'm not already trading to you.
    Seriously, though, all I've got is goats, or whatever QB wants. EDIT: And olive oil! I think. May have traded all that out, actually. Or possibly traded some to you already. I should keep track of my trades better.

EDIT: Nooooo ninja'd for elephants!
    You did remember well. I had to check myself earlier today is the only reason I knew.

Haha, it could still be a bidding war! Though it does look as though you might not have much to bid with... Are you already trading all of Crima's horses? I've been thinking getting horses would be nice and Raaneka might be too. Maybe you could Cur 5 that into a Great Resource. Then with your [Great] Goats and [Great] Horses you can rule the animal husbandry game.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Oh, alright, gotcha.

You did remember well. I had to check myself earlier today is the only reason I knew.

Haha, it could still be a bidding war! Though it does look as though you might not have much to bid with... Are you already trading all of Crima's horses? I've been thinking getting horses would be nice and Raaneka might be too. Maybe you could Cur 5 that into a Great Resource. Then with your [Great] Goats and [Great] Horses you can rule the animal husbandry game.
    All of my Criman horses are gone. Zap did, in fact, think getting horses would be nice, so he went ahead and cut a deal with Blade forever ago. So no horses, although if you want some I will upgrade them, since my other idea was next to useless without an accompanying C10.

EDIT: If I upgraded Horses to [GREAT] next turn, would I be able to trade them at the Ball? I think I remember something saying you can't use it the same turn, but that may only apply to military units.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-04-05 at 08:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

All of my Criman horses are gone. Zap did, in fact, think getting horses would be nice, so he went ahead and cut a deal with Blade forever ago. So no horses, although if you want some I will upgrade them, since my other idea was next to useless without an accompanying C10.
    Let me think about it and talk to the other Triumvirate members but right now I'm leaning towards a request to get horses upgraded to a Great resource.

EDIT: If I upgraded Horses to [GREAT] next turn, would I be able to trade them at the Ball? I think I remember something saying you can't use it the same turn, but that may only apply to military units.
    EDIT: I actually do think that applies to resources too. Something about not being able to trade what you don't have since Cur 5 actions don't kick in until the round after they're used.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-05 at 08:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Spices would be handy. I'm afraid though that I have little to offer for them save for salt. The Princess Regent will meet with your representatives at the Grand Ball if you feel so inclined to discuss the offer.

That said, Lord_Burch how do you feel about rearranging the Union of the Northwest trade deals due to Crima now being part of Bordeux? The Grand Ball is coming up, so we might as well make full use of it.

Also, I have decided it is too much effort to try and keep this secret: Hazael III, King of Ashenia, has been found alive, but not well. As such, the regency of Princess Idrisa will continue until his death, likely at the hands of old age and the ill health that comes from being imprisoned for nearly half of one's adult life.
    Feel free to accuse the Princess Regent of hurrying events along.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

30. - Top - End - #60

Spices would be handy. I'm afraid though that I have little to offer for them save for salt. The Princess Regent will meet with your representatives at the Grand Ball if you feel so inclined to discuss the offer.

That said, Lord_Burch how do you feel about rearranging the Union of the Northwest trade deals due to Crima now being part of Bordeux? The Grand Ball is coming up, so we might as well make full use of it.

Also, I have decided it is too much effort to try and keep this secret: Hazael III, King of Ashenia, has been found alive, but not well. As such, the regency of Princess Idrisa will continue until his death, likely at the hands of old age and the ill health that comes from being imprisoned for nearly half of one's adult life.
    Feel free to accuse the Princess Regent of hurrying events along.
    Sure, if you'll PM me details of what you'd like to discuss- or use our thread, actually, so we have a better record of it. I'll probably keep inter-Bordeux trade agreements the same, but we'll see.