New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Conjuring up a Character to take on loads of foes in a arena, assistance? (Hexblade)

Greetings fellow Playgrounders!

My local DM has issues forth a challenge;

Fight in his arena, where wave after wave of buggers will show their ugly faces to meet their end at mine and mine friends various weapons, magic and tricks

Spoiler: The rules are as followed:
    Show
    Anyone may make a level 6 character. Core races are allowed, as well as the races in Monster Manual 1 (3.5) with a maximum of +1 LA without Racial HD.
    Gold to spend is 20,000 GP.
    Point-buy 32 to generate your stats.
    Maximized HD to RNG counter.

Supplements permitted;
    PHB
    PHB 2
    DMG
    MM
    complete Adventurer
    complete Scoundrel
    complete Warrior
    complete Arcane
    complete Divine

There are no exceptions. Above rules The same for everyone, even me (DM).

Regarding the arena floor is 100ft by 100ft. The arena is covered, but the roof over 60ft high.
    Regarding waves, when a wave is defeated you get one full round before the next wave arrives.
    After every 4th wave is followed by a pause of 8 hours.

Finally, you Opponents will play to win. I also throw my dice just open and go do my best to you in the shortest possible time to beat.
    Dead is dead. No Raise Deads, no Resurrections.

My fellow combatants are making a spiked chain dude, a arrow spammer and a cloistered cleric.

I myself am going for mr "Damage Sponge" with a dash of "I don't believe in magic"

Spoiler: My concept:
    Show
    Hexblade 3 / Fighter 2 / to be decided class, thinking kensai or occult slayer

STR 16 +3
    DEX 10 --
    CON 16 +3
    INT 8 -1
    WIS 8 -1
    CHA 16 +3 (+4 with item)

HP 50
    AC gotta count..

Fortitude +7
    Reflex +1
    Will +6 (Force of personality Cha, +7 with item)

Type Humanoid, Human
    Size Medium
    Speed 30ft

Initiative -
    Base Attack Bonus +5
    Grapple +10

Class feats:
    Hexblade's curse 1/day
    Arcane resistance
    Mettle
    2 x Fighter bonus feats

Feats:
    Force of personality
    3 more feats..

Equipment:

Full Plate (with magic attributes)
    +8 Armor Bonus

Cloak of Charisma +2

Any one of you willing to lend me a hand?
    The point of this build is to shrug off damage and ignore magic as best it can.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of spellcasters, but feel free to convince me. :)

Points will be given for battle style! :D

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Jiruharudo; 2014-04-01 at 03:26 PM.
    I'm no man of honour
    Myself is my true King
    But somewhere deep within me..
    The bells of conscience ring~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Conjuring up a Character to take on loads of foes in a arena, assistance? (Hexbla

Tristan, the Fallen Son

Using Spiderwalk he stand on the ceiling while shielded via Entropic Warding. The combination of being 60ft off the ground and protected from missiles should keep him pretty safe. While on the ceiling, he can rain down eldritch blasts, miasmic clouds, and voracious dispels. His blasts also inflict the shaken condition with a DC 11 will (not high, but it'll hit). His saves aren't bad, and neither are his hitpoints. Last but not least, his Raven companion can speak and should cast spells from scrolls. Speaking of scrolls, he's got 6849gp left to spend on them, go nuts.

He isn't crazy powerful, but still a big threat, and can go at it all day.
    Pointy-eared and proud.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Conjuring up a Character to take on loads of foes in a arena, assistance? (Hexbla

Hey Eonir and thanks for your reply,

Yes, I was thinking about a warlock. Buggers are very useful, also against seeing invisible things and such.
    He wil also be useful harassing/interrupting spell casters..

I shall keep your advice in mind when building, thanks again!

-PS, Im now worried my DM will put a few of this build on the walls.. :P
    I'm no man of honour
    Myself is my true King
    But somewhere deep within me..
    The bells of conscience ring~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

If you're going to go with Hexblade, consider going to level 4 and picking up the Dark Companion ACF in lieu of a familiar. I believe it's in PHB II. (If not, sorry, ignore the idea.) It will give you a free roaming mini hex that you can drop on on opponents prior to hitting them with other attacks/spells/etc. Best part is that you can still use the Obtain Familiar feat to get both if you want them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

For the kind of fight your looking at, I'd go for something a little.. odd...

Pixie Warlock-2. Go See the Unseen and Summon Swarm.

Your goal, keep out of everyones way and spam swarms around. Unless there's something that can see you, you should be really safe from being identified.
    Even if something can get to you, you'll be running around with a high AC, SR, and DR. If the other contestants are around your level this should be a cakewalk for you.

Just remember, blast FIRST, then move. This means they can't target the square you shot from with return fire...