Bugbear in the Playground

Default [RailITP] Academy City FFRP OoC

Academy City
    Welcome one and all!

What is Academy City anyway?
    So what is this game about?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It’s about a place called Academy City, close to Tokyo, where some of the most amazing people science has discovered are sent once their unique gifts are discovered. And just who are these people? Electron manipulators, telepaths, pyrokinetists, telekinetic users, teleporters, the list goes on and on. These are Espers: people capable of using psychic powers in some fashion or another, able to do extraordinary things once put through Academy City’s all-but unique psychic development programs. From things such as creating fireballs to manipulating luck itself, these people have demonstrated a wide array of capabilities after being gathered into the most advanced city on earth. The majority of espers (we’re talking 98-99% percent here) can barely be considered psychic before being ‘refined’ to the point they can manifest their abilities, but there are the rare few who manifest psychic abilities before being put through the program as well, almost literal gemstones of the world. These espers range from the almost powerless Level 0s to the awesome power possessed by the rare Level 5 espers.

But what about Academy City? Well, it’s a large city that is almost thirty years ahead of the rest of the world in terms of science and development, with numerous nations having a stake invested in the city’s unique residents. Almost sixty percent of the residents at Academy City’s schools, from the prestigious Azabu Academy and Tokiwaida Middle School to the more…’normal’ Onizuka Middle School…though how ‘normal’ any school can be when they are populated by a mix of psychics and normal people is up for debate. Though by far is it’s greatest asset is one of the satellites orbiting above, which continues the Tree Diagram program that can accurately predict the weather up to a month in advance, though those with the proper connections can ask it other things as well…Not that to say that everything is candy and sunshine in this sovereign city, there’s a darker underside to Academy City that most of it’s residents don’t even know about. Dangerous Skill Out gangs, those without powers who target espers for fun or rights, roam the streets and a person can disappear without a trace depending on where they stick their nose. Rumors of illegal research or weapons research are rampant, though Academy City is such a touchy place that such matters are never really investigated seriously by the Board of Directors in charge of Academy City.

This game is based on the setting of the To Aru no Kagaku Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) light novels/anime/manga series. Watching/Reading the series is OPTIONAL, but they are rather good.

Okay, but how is it different from, say, Nexus?

Spoiler
    Show

It differs in several important ways.
    First, it is a lot more uniform that the Nexus. Academy City has espers and science, not, say, kitten snipers.
    Second, the plots that take place in Academy City is going to be more directed. There are the good, the bad, and the ugly, and they are mostly organized. Most plots and will be interwoven into one big plot. Or at least that's the intention.
    Third, Academy City is NOT in any way connected to the Nexus. i.e. you cannot have a character travel between the two. If you want a character in Academy City, it is for Academy City. You can have a version of the same character for both the Nexus and Academy City, but they are different characters.

How do I start?

Spoiler
    Show

Well, you want to post a character in this thread, and the character registry when it goes up, so everyone can find information on your character and so people can give you helpful criticism on it.
    To prevent a pattern that is all too easy to fall into, it's good to point out the fact that passive actions don't tend to get much attention.
    With that in mind, make a post and begin!

There are rules, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course there are! This isn't exactly anarchic.
    Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). Basically, don't make a character not your own do something. Saying bob's character is punched, or joe's suddenly feels pain, or Sally's smells smoke, are all examples.
    Second, don't argue in the OOC!
    They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.

IC Thread
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2014-04-01 at 10:44 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [RailITP] Academy City FFRP OoC

Something we need to decide now, or at least early on - are we accepting both sides of Railgun, or only the more 'scientific/psychic' side? The last one disallowed magic as coming from religion, but I don't know if we wish to as well or what.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Something we need to decide now, or at least early on - are we accepting both sides of Railgun, or only the more 'scientific/psychic' side? The last one disallowed magic as coming from religion, but I don't know if we wish to as well or what.
    I'm going to ask the mods about ifit would be okay.
    That'll decide the use of it or not.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

This truly is a resilient RP. It simply refuses to stay dead. Consider me interested. First things first: Is it okay for us 'oldbies' to import continuity from the earlier threads? It'd be a shame to let all those old plots and characters go to waste.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    This truly is a resilient RP. It simply refuses to stay dead. Consider me interested. First things first: Is it okay for us 'oldbies' to import continuity from the earlier threads? It'd be a shame to let all those old plots and characters go to waste.
    Hmm...
    As long as said plots didn't affect the city too much, sure!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Oh jeez.

If Anyr wants to try and dredge up that bizarre clone thing we were doing, I'm super on board. That was the weirdest, best thing.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

7. - Top - End - #7

Mind posting the PC and backstory in the directory I recently posted?
    Also, just realized what my sig says.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey~! ^_^

I'm here now. I'll write up the backstory and such for my character later.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Ishimaru Moroe has now been reposted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Oh jeez.

If Anyr wants to try and dredge up that bizarre clone thing we were doing, I'm super on board. That was the weirdest, best thing.
    By all means. Provided, of course, we don't drown the newer players in old subplots. This seems like the perfect opportunity to let Moroe and Hajime shed some of their excess baggage...
    Last edited by Anyr; 2014-04-02 at 09:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ishimaru Moroe has now been reposted.

- - - Updated - - -

By all means. Provided, of course, we don't drown the newer players in old subplots. This seems like the perfect opportunity to let Moroe and Hajime shed some of their excess baggage...
    I'll rework Hajime into an amnesiac who Moroe knows the past of. You can pick and choose what you want to bring over, I can roll with whatever you deal out for Hajime.

Will post him tonight or so, have class.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I'm going to ask the mods about ifit would be okay.
    That'll decide the use of it or not.
    There's always the potential for those who want to use magic, such as myself, as making up a religion. The Rules only speak of Real World Religions. One made by the players should be fine so long as it skirts away from any real world stuff. I'd be interesting in joining if the above was an option.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    There's always the potential for those who want to use magic, such as myself, as making up a religion. The Rules only speak of Real World Religions. One made by the players should be fine so long as it skirts away from any real world stuff. I'd be interesting in joining if the above was an option.
    True.
    The religions are mainly made up iirc, and it's easy to edit stuff!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

True.
    The religions are mainly made up iirc, and it's easy to edit stuff!
    I'm not to familiar with the source material, but I'd be happy to join up. If using a made up religion and magic is OK'd by the rest.

14. - Top - End - #14

Almost done with my first PC: Shantelle La'Forette, Level 3 Silicokinetic.
    She recently moved to Academy City, having been there for 3 months.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Heya Anyr, C'nor. I wasn't sure if I was going to see this ever be revived. Well I've got the two OC's that made the other game fun for me already on the waiting list. And this time they are going to be in it from the start.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Heya Anyr, C'nor. I wasn't sure if I was going to see this ever be revived. Well I've got the two OC's that made the other game fun for me already on the waiting list. And this time they are going to be in it from the start.
    Wanna have a PC of yours meet Shantelle?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sure, probably Tobio. They seem like they would get along well.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sure, probably Tobio. They seem like they would get along well.
    You post first!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, regreetings. Now that you're here, I'll see about transferring Kin as well.

I'm not to familiar with the source material, but I'd be happy to join up. If using a made up religion and magic is OK'd by the rest.
    I've got no real objection to the inclusion of magic. New game, new rules. A word of warning, though: Mages are less newbie-friendly than Espers. It really helps to be familiar with the Toaruverse when making one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

You post first!
    We should probably wait until we have a decent sized cast of characters Ark. After all it's not much of an FFRP if it's just the two of us. The thread was only started yesterday. Give it some time, and we should try to figure out at least slightest semblance of a plot right?

21. - Top - End - #21

We should probably wait until we have a decent sized cast of characters Ark. After all it's not much of an FFRP if it's just the two of us. The thread was only started yesterday. Give it some time, and we should try to figure out at least slightest semblance of a plot right?
    Alright.
    So, anyone want to be in charge of a plot?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got no real objection to the inclusion of magic. New game, new rules. A word of warning, though: Mages are less newbie-friendly than Espers. It really helps to be familiar with the Toaruverse when making one.
    I've done some reading on the Wiki. If there's anywhere else I can get some good info I'd happily check it out.

I'll give this a crack though.

Apotheosis: Building a Better Tomorrow Today

On it's civillian front, Apotheosis is one of the leading bio-medical research companies and suppliers of innovative medical technologies around the world. Based from Academy City., Apotheosis has aggressively pursued an open and friendly public image with various donations to local hospitals and an open work program for anyone who wishes to apply. This has led to whispers from competitors and compatriots alike that the squeaky clean image is a front for nefarious deeds ranging from organ harvesting to massive money laundering schemes. Despite these whispers little has stuck to the company in terms of black marks and that, some say, is the strangest and most disconcerting thing of all. The whispers are of course correct though few could guess the true aims and secrets of the almost rapidly public company. Beneath the civilian front lies a cabal of desperate and powerful people ready and eager to throw all the money, political clout and resources controlling one of the largest companies in the world at any and every problem they encounter permits. These men and women control the real Apotheosis, a fanatical religious organization with a single goal. Create God. In a world where the strong rule over the weak and answers to even the most basic questions remain silent, the progenitors of Apotheosis set to give voice to those not able to speak for themselves. What started, perhaps, as a noble goal however has become twisted in the hands of the very people the organization was once made to protect. Bloated by decadence and blinded by power, Apotheosis continues to pursue their centuries long agenda with the cruel and careless manner a bored toddler smashes down ant hills.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2014-04-02 at 05:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Seems very interesting!
    And Animekid, just to point out now that I think of it: School just ended, so the two could run into each other when leaving or something like that,
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I've done some reading on the Wiki. If there's anywhere else I can get some good info I'd happily check it out.
    Maybe I should write up a guide to Toaruverse magic for the OP. Nothing verbose, mind; Just a short list of essentials for those looking to make a Mage.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe I should write up a guide to Toaruverse magic for the OP. Nothing verbose, mind; Just a short list of essentials for those looking to make a Mage.
    Might help. I think I got the jist from the Wiki but it wouldn't hurt.

26. - Top - End - #26

Actually, I'm going to probably have Shanelle just arrive at Academy City.
    She's level 2 at this point

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to RP, whether it be as your PC, a random character you just came up with just because you're bored, or even a character you just made up to try out FFRP, i posted for Shanelle.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I'm going to probably have Shanelle just arrive at Academy City.
    She's level 2 at this point
    Do you mean that she already had her ability before arriving? That's incredibly rare. The vast majority of Espers (no matter how strong) gain their powers artificially, via Academy City's Power Curriculum Program. The vanishingly few exceptions to this rule are known as 'Gemstones'; And they tend to lead very complicated lives.

28. - Top - End - #28

Do you mean that she already had her ability before arriving? That's incredibly rare. The vast majority of Espers (no matter how strong) gain their powers artificially, via Academy City's Power Curriculum Program. The vanishingly few exceptions to this rule are known as 'Gemstones'; And they tend to lead very complicated lives.
    I remembered this, and decided not to have that be.

- - - Updated - - -

So, what do we want to set rules against? Any particular things you don't want a power to be, any limits to how dark you want this game to get, etc?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

That'd be me. I mentioned wanting to see it back, and, well... Here we are.

And it certainly is. I'm bringing back all my old people. Though I don't know how long Kasai will be around, thinking about it, since most of her plot stuff is gone now.

And good to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Hey~! ^_^

I'm here now. I'll write up the backstory and such for my character later.
    Oh, hello! Good to see you here.

Fine with me,

Heh, well, I suppose if Tobio's here that does make it a bit a easier for Kasai to stick about. Welcome back.

Ark, I think that 'how dark' is 'what, are we limiting that now?', personally, seeing as the last game had all sorts of dark happenings; tends to occur when half the characters are part of Academy City's dark side.

And I think that the power guidelines from last time worked pretty well, though obviously we'll need a new set for mages.

30. - Top - End - #30

Well in my defense, I only read the rules previously used on the OP, none of the actual IC stuff.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show