New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [RailITP] Academy City FFRP OoC

Yep, that could work, given part of Mop's entire thing is making people forget or ignore her memory. Perhaps that could be part of the failsafe that's in her key? Besides just activating when she's unconscious/deaded, it could retroactively remove her?

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    Yep, that could work, given part of Mop's entire thing is making people forget or ignore her memory. Perhaps that could be part of the failsafe that's in her key? Besides just activating when she's unconscious/deaded, it could retroactively remove her?
    Seems reasonable.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just fyi, no posts today. tablet is out of power and i lost the charger. also data plan is a jerk
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I was thinking of making a Dark Side character, and since the most critical part is always the power I would ask for some feedback, constructive criticism, and whatnot. I tried to sketch a sort of skeleton, if something is unclear just ask.

Spoiler: Nightmare
    Show
    Level 1: After looking someone in the eyes, [name] instinctively knows their deepest fear(s).
    Level 2: By concentrating after looking someone in the eyes, [name] can create and maintain an illusion of such fear in the target’s mind: however, it will feel like a dream (well, a nightmare): the target will only believe to feel pain if tortured, only believe to suffocate if buried alive, and so on. The subject will percieve their surroundings, including people, through the illusion lenses but is otherwise free to act. The illusion is dispelled if the distance beetween [name] and the subject exceeds 30 m (100 ft).
    Level 3: [name] can now affect multiple targets, the only requirement being to have made eye contact with each of them. Other than appearances, the illusion warps also what the subject hears, and the maximum distance increases to 60 m (200 ft).
    Level 4: If [name] concentrates, the illusion feels completely real: this means that the target will actually feel pain if tortured, actually feel suffocating if buried alive, and so on. The illusion now warps even the perception of others' actions, and the max distance increases to 90 m (300 ft).
    Level 5: [name] no longer need to concentrate for the illusion to feel completely real, meaning that every one of his targets can be subject of this enhanced version at the same time. Distance increased to 120 m (400 ft).

Note that there is nothing that prevents the target(s) from dying of fear, since that is possible even in the real world, so this power can be lethal, but it is mostly designed as a 'disabling' power.

P.S. "Nightmare" is the name of the power...the character is as of now still unnamed.

Edit: Written as it was, it was probably too overpowered being that it would paralyze those affected.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2014-07-19 at 06:57 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    I was thinking of making a Dark Side character, and since the most critical part is always the power I would ask for some feedback, constructive criticism, and whatnot. I tried to sketch a sort of skeleton, if something is unclear just ask.

Spoiler: Nightmare
    Show
    Level 1: After looking someone in the eyes, [name] instinctively knows their deepest fear(s).
    Level 2: By concentrating after looking someone in the eyes, [name] can create and maintain an illusion of such fear in the target’s mind: however, it will feel like a dream (well, a nightmare): the target will only believe to feel pain if tortured, only believe to suffocate if buried alive, and so on. While under this illusion, the body of the subjects will be in a sort of ‘locked-down’ status, but if the subject suffers some physical pain (such as falling as a result of this lock-down, or even a simple slap) the illusion will be dispelled, as it will be if it somehow stops being frightening (as in, actually stop, not only being ignored: for example, by overcoming the fear, or simply manage to wholly persuade oneself that it is only an illusion).
    Level 3: [name] can now affect multiple targets, the only requirement being to have made eye contact with each of them. Furthermore, he can seamlessly integrate himself in the illusion (one at a time), either by becoming one of its ‘characters’ or a disembodied voice, with the target(s) finding nothing off about it (what I mean is that this cannot be used by a subject as 'evidence' for proving themselves they are in an illusion). The amount of pain needed to dispel the illusion is now at least that of being stabbed.
    Level 4: If [name] concentrates, the illusion feels completely real: this means that the target will actually feel pain if tortured, actually feel suffocating if buried alive, and so on. Any input from the exterior is cut off, so the only way out of the illusion is for it to stop being frightening.
    Level 5: [name] no longer need to concentrate for the illusion to feel completely real, meaning that every one of his targets can be subject of this enhanced version at the same time.

Note that there is nothing that prevents the target(s) from dying of fear, since that is possible even in the real world, so this power can be lethal, but it is mostly designed as a 'disabling' power.

P.S. "Nightmare" is the name of the power...the character is as of now still unnamed.
    Hmm, the 'locked down' part seems very powerful. Wouldn't that let the user win any fight with a glance? Just make eye contact, then walk up and kill/knock out the (now catatonic) victim. Compared to that, the nightmarish visions are little more than a quirk. It also rather undermines the ability's central theme. Rather than being about confronting people with their worst fears, it just becomes a generic paralysis ability. IMHO, it'd be more balanced for the victims to remain aware of their surroundings.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Incidentally, that's the same thing that occured to me while eating lunch, I just edited it

Indeed it would be overpowered, and the same thing occurred to me while eating lunch. Is the power now a little better?
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2014-07-19 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Someone made me notice that, written as it was, it could be misunderstood. So, just in case...

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed it would be overpowered, and the same thing occurred to me while eating lunch. Is the power now a little better?
    Oh yes, it looks fine now. It's a nice, clean, easy to understand ability, with tons of story potential. I particularly like the way that it tailors itself to each individual target. There are so many great scenes waiting to be pulled from our characters' heads...

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Oh yes, it looks fine now. It's a nice, clean, easy to understand ability, with tons of story potential. I particularly like the way that it tailors itself to each individual target. There are so many great scenes waiting to be pulled from our characters' heads...
    Excellent! Thanks for the feedback! *starts designing the rest of the character*

9. - Top - End - #549

Nobody asked me, but I definitely feel like that power is still too potent.

>look somebody in the eyes
    >they're powerless
    >slit throat

And since there's no effective way to resist it, or any limiting factors, it works on anyone. Even people who can conjure walls of fire, are really good at shooting guns, or make their attacks invisible, are only having an effect on the world that can be targeted; one could learn about it, maybe survive a blow, and adapt one's tactics to better combat the power.

Not so with Nightmare, because the only defense is distance, which people are unlikely to figure out, if they even know it's the esper who caused it. If it were me, I'd make it so that Nightmare is an effect and the defense one has to use against it is what cripples your foes. For example, if you close your eyes while the esper is looking at you, the power can leap into your mind an assault you with your fear. So to defend against it, you have to stare into the eyes of the esper who's using Nightmare.

Which would make it more of a support ability, because it would introduce blind spots in the opponent's physical defense to take advantage of. It wouldn't be a one-shot kill that automatically defeats any foe. And, since almost everybody has to blink, their will would slowly be degraded by flashes of their fear.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2014-07-20 at 12:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

>they're powerless
    >slit throat
    As of the most recent revision, Nightmare's victims are no longer powerless. They remain aware of their surroundings, and free to act. If someone tries to walk up and slit their throat, they're quite capable of defending themselves: Albeit with more difficulty than usual, since they'll also be confronting imaginary horrors.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2014-07-20 at 12:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551

That very much depends on their fear. For example, a very common fear will be of darkness. So facing somebody with that will mean they're blind, and unable to defend themselves. Loneliness, also very common, means they wouldn't be able to see their allies (Or their enemies either, depending on the potency). How about feeling worthless? They wouldn't have the urge to defend themselves.

I'm uncertain what fears wouldn't be crippling enough to make them defenseless.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wrong. I asked everyone, and that includes you.

>they're powerless
    >slit throat
    That very much depends on their fear. For example, a very common fear will be of darkness. So facing somebody with that will mean they're blind, and unable to defend themselves. Loneliness, also very common, means they wouldn't be able to see their allies (Or their enemies either, depending on the potency). How about feeling worthless? They wouldn't have the urge to defend themselves.

I'm uncertain what fears wouldn't be crippling enough to make them defenseless.
    Hmm...I see what you mean. Well, the illusion that a character sees is decided by their player, but anyway fear is something irrational. In the case of the fear of the dark, nothing would stop the subject from believing it's dark, while still be able to see (what maybe he would interpret as 'dark monsters', or something like that)

13. - Top - End - #553

Wrong. I asked everyone, and that includes you.
    Hmm, let me fix that. "People sometimes ask me, but when I answer, they don't ever again".

Hmm...I see what you mean. Well, the illusion that a character sees is decided by their player, but anyway fear is something irrational. In the case of the fear of the dark, nothing would stop the subject from believing it's dark, while still be able to see (what maybe he would interpret as 'dark monsters', or something like that)
    Fear isn't always irrational. Fear of stuff like muggers, death of faily, or indoctrination, for example. If the power specified that it's to do with phobias, as opposed to deepest fears, it wouldn't be anywhere near as large a problem in my mind. Stuff like heights, animals, or beards, and other phobias like that?
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2014-07-20 at 01:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hmm, let me fix that. "People sometimes ask me, but when I answer, they don't ever again".
    It appears that I'm not one of them

Fear isn't always irrational. Fear of stuff like muggers, death of faily, or indoctrination, for example. If the power specified that it's to do with phobias, as opposed to deepest fears, it wouldn't be anywhere near as large a problem in my mind. Stuff like heights, animals, or beards, and other phobias like that?
    Hmm...
    Heights --> Believe to be surrounded by pits and canyons, with only narrow paths between them;
    Animals --> Believe to be surrounded by...well, animals;
    Beards --> Seeing beards growing anywhere, maybe even on themselves.

As long as the fear is of something concrete, I don't think it is particularly troublesome...on the other hand, something like indoctrination could be. Believing everyone wants to indoctrinate you? Indoctrination apparatuses spurting from the walls? I wrote "deepest fears" because almost everyone is afraid of something, while phobias are something not everyone has (as far as I know, at least): my idea was that Nightmare could also make someone revive a traumatic experience of the past, or something along those lines; after all, as I said before, the actual effect and fear targeted are up to the affected party, so the power would be overpowered only if the target's player wanted to: on the other hand, it could as well be nearly useless. Anyway, how would you rewrite it?
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2014-07-20 at 02:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Doc Guns, I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding. Eli was originally going to be a geokinetic, but his ESPer power was altered to Telepathy before he was introduced to the scenario. I didn't realize you were setting up his earth-moving ability until your most recent post, so I feel kind of bad, but is there any way we can change the events leading up to this point to fit, or should we just ret-con the whole thing and either try again or hand-wave it entirely?

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    Doc Guns, I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding. Eli was originally going to be a geokinetic, but his ESPer power was altered to Telepathy before he was introduced to the scenario. I didn't realize you were setting up his earth-moving ability until your most recent post, so I feel kind of bad, but is there any way we can change the events leading up to this point to fit, or should we just ret-con the whole thing and either try again or hand-wave it entirely?
    Oh dear, that is exactly what happened. I am so sorry; I can't believe I missed something like that.

I'd probably have not set it up this way if not for the geo-movement idea... but, on the other hand, the idea of Eli turning out to have a completely different power than they think is pretty funny, and the entire emotional experience he had in the test chamber actually makes more sense for a telepath.

I think I'll just go ahead and say that the chair just wasn't attached to the floor properly, that Eli fell over on his own, and that Sir Teacher and Gure are jumping to conclusions based on all of the positive tests. Any objections?

17. - Top - End - #557
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Oh dear, that is exactly what happened. I am so sorry; I can't believe I missed something like that.

I'd probably have not set it up this way if not for the geo-movement idea... but, on the other hand, the idea of Eli turning out to have a completely different power than they think is pretty funny, and the entire emotional experience he had in the test chamber actually makes more sense for a telepath.

I think I'll just go ahead and say that the chair just wasn't attached to the floor properly, that Eli fell over on his own, and that Sir Teacher and Gure are jumping to conclusions based on all of the positive tests. Any objections?
    ...You know, I hadn't considered that possibility, but it does sound like it'd be very entertaining. OK, let me know if I should edit any previous posts to reflect the change in events. Otherwise, just let me know if/when you're ready to proceed, and I'll make my next post then.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Firbolg in the Playground

*pokes Arkhosia to post for the Arcade*
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #559

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    *pokes Arkhosia to post for the Arcade*
    I shall soon!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Anyr, Doc Guns, let me know if you want to stop Eli at all before he goes home. Otherwise, I'll advance him to a new scene tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    Anyr, Doc Guns, let me know if you want to stop Eli at all before he goes home. Otherwise, I'll advance him to a new scene tomorrow.
    No interruptions from this side. Moroe has washed her hands of Eli: Until tomorrow, that is. By then the guilt will have set in, and she'll be right back to checking on him.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. I've actually got an ability idea- Time Alter, kinda like in Fate/Zero. So, the character can slow or speed up their perception of time/their movements.

I'm not sure how drastic and for how long she should be able to do so for each Level, though. Thoughts?

(Or what Level to make her, even)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Hmmm. I've actually got an ability idea- Time Alter, kinda like in Fate/Zero. So, the character can slow or speed up their perception of time/their movements.

I'm not sure how drastic and for how long she should be able to do so for each Level, though. Thoughts?

(Or what Level to make her, even)
    Hmm... could work definitely! Basic set up could be just each level unlocks longer effect, slower or faster max change, area of effect, etc, though I recommend trying to make interesting and/or noteworthy changes that make it stand out.
    Here's a guide to levels for ya:
    Level 1 is usually weak, like "I can move a bit faster for a few seconds!"
    Level 2 is a bit stronger: "I can move like 2x as fast for a couple minutes!
    Level 3 is the average: I can move 2X fast for 5 minutes!
    Level 4 is stronger: I can move 4x as fast for 10 minutes
    Level 5 is awesome type power: I can move 10x as fast for an hour!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in terms of area of effect, for everyone else it looks like she's moving at super-speed anyway.

I would say the time limits are from her perspective, though, keep it from being too broken.

I'm thinking of making her a high-Level Judgement member.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #565

I'd recommend level 3, as it's the level mostly everyone is here I think
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Honestly you could probably up the strength of those levels a fair bit. Pretty much all the level 5s that focus on close combat are at least supersonic after all. Hell, Gunha can punch faster than lightning.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Doc Guns, will Eli incur any particular wrath if he tells Moroe anything at this juncture? If so, this may be a good time for Gure to show up and drag him off, because he has no reason to refuse Moroe's demand for information otherwise.