New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Horizontal rule changes

I notice the code for inserting a horizontal rule has changed again. Where I used to use [hr]1[/hr], the 1 (for line thickness) now appears in the posts - apparently the new code is just [hr][/hr]?

This is quite annoying, as I use horizontal rules quite extensively to break up big posts in my PBP games. It happened once before, when we went from [hr] to [hr]n[/hr], and left all my older games speckled with "[hr]"s in plain text. Now all the more recent games have got random "1"s too.

Is this intentional? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it without having to manually trawl and edit all my old posts? I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-02 at 06:32 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Horizontal rule changes

Oooh, [hr] still works. Sweet. And it works even better than before. Pity you still need the closing brackets, though.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Even better than before?" It's a horizontal line.

Right now you don't have the line thickness options you had before, and you don't have the simplicity you had before that. What you do have is two generations of untidy legacy code messing up old threads. I'd say this works worse than before.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Even better than before?" It's a horizontal line.

Right now you don't have the line thickness options you had before, and you don't have the simplicity you had before that. What you do have is two generations of untidy legacy code messing up old threads. I'd say this works worse than before.
    The first one was a hack job that replaced the [hr] block on the fly and worked dismally. Every time you edited a post, you had to redo all of the [hr] code blocks.

The second one was another hack job that I put together to improve it. I had to do something with the text between the blocks, so it became a height configurator.

Now, it just works. This is good news. It also works well enough with existing [hr] code blocks before the upgrade (they just need to be edited to look prettier), which is another bonus.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It also works well enough with existing [hr] code blocks before the upgrade (they just need to be edited to look prettier), which is another bonus.
    In my case that's 497 pages of IC threads (old and current), which have a horizontal rule any time I want to separate the action (e.g. two different characters up to different things in different places). I know it's just a cosmetic problem, but I hope you understand that this doesn't seem like a bonus to me - I like to keep my old games presentable and readable.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #6

In my case that's 497 pages of IC threads (old and current), which have a horizontal rule any time I want to separate the action (e.g. two different characters up to different things in different places). I know it's just a cosmetic problem, but I hope you understand that this doesn't seem like a bonus to me - I like to keep my old games presentable and readable.
    Unavoidable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Unless the hr code was surrounding a dice roll, I don't think a scattering of 1's will make it less readable. People will tend to skim past it like they would an inkspot on a book page.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I've used the horizontal line a lot as well, and the best thing I've found to resolve it is to copy and paste my text into word, the use the "find and replace" tool to change one to the other. I know that still seems like a lot for 497 pages, but at least you aren't alone in this.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Unavoidable.
    It's not possible to run a search/replace on numerals inside [hr][/hr] tags? That seems fairly trivial compared to all the stuff that's been re-worked.

Anyway, that's not really a question as I gather from your attitude that the answer is "no". I do think describing the problem as "unavoidable" is a bit off, though, considering there are plenty of other forums that don't have problems like these. It could have been avoided, it's just too late to avoid it now.

I've used the horizontal line a lot as well, and the best thing I've found to resolve it is to copy and paste my text into word, the use the "find and replace" tool to change one to the other. I know that still seems like a lot for 497 pages, but at least you aren't alone in this.
    Thanks for the tip - but unfortunately not being a member of the landed gentry, I don't have the free time or the servants to make that feasible.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-02 at 08:06 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #10

There have been a lot of changes and a lot of things have been broken in the process, this was unavoidable. The [hr] code is one I expected to break completely and would have to work on re-implementing. I can see that this is not the case and works closer to how it should than I could have managed had the code not been included in the core software and had to be managed as it had previously, as an add on.

It might be "annoying" that you now have some extraneous 1s in places they shouldn't be, but this is minor in comparison to all of the improvements the upgrade has bought us (including improved [hr] handling). If you go back far enough, you can see cosmetic glitches on posts made before we moved from YaBB to vBulletin. And let's not ignore the [table] code change, which has completely broken existing tables, rather than just creating a minor cosmetic glitch.

We will not be doing a find and replace of the entire database to repair a minor cosmetic glitch. Doing one for the [table] code was undesirable but necessary due to the fact that tables would cease to display at all, rather than create a minor cosmetic glitch.

Upgrades will happen, things will break, cosmetic glitches will be caused. We are under no obligation to display your posts as originally presented into perpetuity.