New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Soulknife and Kensai

Was participating in a discussion, which had me looking at soulknives again. The scaling bonus enhancement are nice, but I got to thinking, how does that work with another class, kensai, which has scaling weapon enchantments? Specifically, since the soulblade isn't a standard weapon. It can be thrown, split, even changed into a different size. Also, assuming 10 level of each, you would end up with a +12 weapon by level 20.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Soulknife and Kensai

You can do this, sure. You will even benefit from the XP cost discount by building on the enhancement already active on your mind blade.

Just be very careful of how your DM chooses to interpret "losing" or "abandoning" the weapon; dismissing your blade or throwing it could be costly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's a Psi-warrior AFC that expands on the Called Weapon power, I'd be more interested in learning how that works, cuase if it does work, you could get a +20 weapon by level 20.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    There's a Psi-warrior AFC that expands on the Called Weapon power, I'd be more interested in learning how that works, cuase if it does work, you could get a +20 weapon by level 20.
    This one won't work - the Kensai needs to meditate with his weapon for 24 hours to form the bond, and the Soulbound Weapon doesn't last that long. Even if you prolong the weapon's duration via Quintessence or something, eventually it will vanish and you will have to do the process all over again. This also won't work with Psychic Weapon Master, because you need to start with a nonmagical crystal weapon.

Soulknife + Kensai is therefore the only approach to get this kind of "free stacking."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So long as the weapon manifested doesn't wink out of existence then its fine to use with kensai.

This means that your weapon must be able to be manifested permanently and can't go away when you sleep / get new powers for the day.

I thought about this issue for the incarnate blade soulmeld - but since it lasts forever so long as you don't unshape it everyday, or unshape soulmeld is not cast on it, its a viable weapon.