New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Question How does one calculate the CR of creature with both racial HD and class levels?

For example, I want to write up a dungeon boss- a Bugbear Sorcerer, Level 6 (For reasons).

He'd have 4 body guards, two of whom are level 4 hobgoblin fighters, 1 level 3 Bugbear barbarian, and 1 goblin cleric.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How does one calculate the CR of creature with both racial HD and class levels?

If my memory serves me right, the CR is equal to the monster's base CR (without class levels), and then add 1 CR for every class level gained.
    I have a feeling that Racial HD is calculated in the base CR, so no need to apply it to the total.

So, a Bugbear with 6 levels in Sorcerer has a total of 8 (if my calculations are right).

Oh. This is a Pathfinder thing. I'm not sure if the CR system is similar or not, so I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
    Last edited by Ralcos; 2014-04-03 at 04:45 PM.
    Sweet Kobold from Vault 13 by ThePrez1776 !

"If the powers that be are angry, give them a weapon."

Homebrew:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: How does one calculate the CR of creature with both racial HD and class levels?

Like this.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingPirate

So... about CR 5. :) That's pretty cool, thanks Keneth.

And no worries, Ralcos, I've only just converted my 3.5 game to pathfinder, so am myself still figuring things out, like this. My biggest hit was that I had finally figured out how to do monster characters properly in 3.5, and then when I switched to pathfinder I had to relearn everything, cause the methods are different. Bright side is they've made Level Adjustments less crippling, so a drow character in a party of humans isn't going to be behind everyone at end game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If by "less crippling" you mean gone. There's no LA in Pathfinder.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    If by "less crippling" you mean gone. There's no LA in Pathfinder.
    Best. Move. Ever.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

There's a bit of a gray area for class levels, especially at higher levels. Once I get around level 10 or so, I have martial class levels count as 3/4 the class levels that a casting class would have. I also tend to use NPC class levels as well, that further puts them behind the curve.

Usually, I only use true class levels for the "boss" characters.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfClericGuy

Paizo's rules for monsters as PCs can be found here, which you might find helpful.