New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default [3.5] warlock help

ok, so ive just realised that I never wrote down the help I got on this subject before the forum change. And now I cant find it again.

So here we go again:

Im bringing a warlock into Sinister Spire.

I persuaded him to make the warlock, because its easy to play, but still with loads of possibilities of optimizing.
    As it is, the current warlock is now a ranged warlock doing 3d6 damage (its a lvl 5 warlock) and now he is lvl 6 and needs to choose a feat.

Last time I posted this, I was proposed to use a feat that made the SLA into a SU thus negating the spell resistance this feat had the req that the player had to be born with the eldrich ability, so a demonic ancestor :D

These things is very possible since im the DM and im feeling that he isnt going to break the game and since he is a newbie, when I remove the spellresistance for his attacks then he will have one less problem to deal with.

So now for the last problem... lets say that ive now by a feat, have made his SLA into a SU... then he wont qualify for the quicken spell like ability feat, of which the warlock really revels! (how did this Dane do in his attempt to be sophisticated)
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] warlock help

I found your other thread.

It's called Supernatural Transformation, and it's from Savage Species.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    I persuaded him to make the warlock, because its easy to play, but still with loads of possibilities of optimizing.
    As it is, the current warlock is now a ranged warlock doing 3d6 damage (its a lvl 5 warlock) and now he is lvl 6 and needs to choose a feat.
    The first thing he needs is to up that damage potential. Get that Warlock a Chasuble of Fell Power ASAP. As for the feat? Maximize SLA seems nice. If you let him retrain some of his earlier feats, Mortalbane is a significant power boost for him.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

ill let him optimize and retrain as he sees fit... so if he wants a melee lock ill let him... the thing is... if I make his attacks SU... have I locked out all the SLA feats? I know what ill probably do as a DM, but still would like to have the books in my back
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you make it (Su), yes, it won't qualify for meta-sla feats. On the other hand, there are Meta-Supernatural feats in the Pact binding feat section of Tome of Magic. Not sure of their quality, just that they exist
    Last edited by BornValyrian; 2014-04-03 at 06:21 PM.
    Feel free to call me Born.

Dm-ing: Pawns of the Great Game
    Player: Ka'lakxi in Cuzto halflings

Targaryen sorcerer avatar by starwoof

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BornValyrian View Post
    If you make it (Su), yes, it won't qualify for meta-sla feats. On the other hand, there are Meta-Supernatural feats in the Pact binding feat section of Tome of Magic. Not sure of their quality, just that they exist
    They're not great. The only options are empower, enlarge, extend, and widen, and they're all only once per day. I don't think it'd be particularly overpowering to let him apply the SLA feats anyway.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Ability Focus (Eldritch blast)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The thing is, with EB as a SLA you can apply Ability Focus, mortalbane 5 times a day and Empower SLA, Maximise SLA and Quicken SLA 3 times a day (feat taken once per SLA). As a SU you can use Empower SU, Enlarge SU, Extend, Sudden Ab focus and Widen SU all 1/day. the SLA is subject to SR, SU is not (mkaing sure it hits with minimal effort). That said, the warlock has the Eldritch essence Vitriolic Blast which does not allow SR (niether does it offer a save) while still staying a SLA and thus modifiable with meta-SLA feats. I'd say lose the Supernatural Transformation and get him something else in return (like mortalbane or quicken). Do mind the fact that quicken comes online late since it's dependant on SLA level if you can use it and Essences modify the spell level of the EB.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The metamagic SLAs are level limited — can't use Quicken until 10th and only then without any essences. There's a table in the MM, also here.

The best feat to choose is probably Extra Invocation, because it grants more options.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy