New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Reasonable Prices [IC]

Chapter I: Everything Must Go

Day dawns early and beautifully in Elbe, rosy light painting the sky in streaks of red and orange as the chorus of roosters begins to crow- one ending abruptly in a muffled squawk and burst of feathers; the roosters haven't yet learned not to roost on the tower of the late-rising town wizard. The sunrise illuminates three figures, each having woken early this day: the town's blacksmith, the town's hostler, and the town's tragedy. None of them know that this will be the last day of their life- although some may hope for that every day. None of them know that if they see the sunrise again tomorrow, it will be as a different person.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Reasonable Prices [IC]

'Stable, check the horses. Kennels, check the dogs. Breakfast. Check all the animals. What was today?'
    Borris stared at the calender he had made, words almost swimming in front of his eyes, it'd been a bad night.
    'Ok... Got an hour till the captain comes around for his new dogs, I can get cleaned up... Clubs shined and Armors already oiled so I shouldn't need to do that...'
    Borris shook his head.
    "No... No need to dress up. Just the captain. Rest of the day's free, set as my rest day... My last keg's almost dry... I'll have to see the barkeep... I'll have to brush down Farah though, captain likes her too much, doesn't even notice how skittish she is around him..."

With that, Borris set to getting himself cleaned up for the day, at some point deciding to go to the market to see if anyone needed animals trained or was interested in buying.
    "Yea, I know you're getting bored here pup."
    Borris reached down absentmindedly to pat a sheep dog's pup. It'd been a hard birth, only pup to survive and no mother, the poor pup had been left in his care a while ago.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

3. - Top - End - #3

Another day, another sunrise. The beauty of the morning is lost on Azur as he rises from his makeshift bed in the smithy. It was not long before the banging of hammer on metal, a sound that, despite its intensity, fills the citizens of Elbe with relief. Their own blacksmith had fallen ill a short while ago and there had been worry that the town guard would go without new arms or repairs. While the quality of goods he produced was admired, his surliness and irreverence had earned him no real love from the people.

Azur continued to swing his hammer onto the glowing metal blade, his swings developing into a tempo. This would be a new blade to replace one of the lesser quality, older blades of the guard. Occasionally, his twisted imagination would see a shrieking demonic face in the glow of the metal. It would take an effort of will not to swing with all his might and sunder his creation.

Damn you. Is it not enough that I see you in my dreams?

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Azur wondered how long he would stay before he would tire of Elbe, as he had of every place before. The lack of true purpose was beginning to affect him and his work; he could not think of a time before when he had grown weary of practicing his talent. Quenching the blade in a water barrel, he knew that only one thing was for certain: someday things would have to change, or he might risk losing his mind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

David lowered his head closer to the sink and splashed cold water into his face to wake himself up. He drank a little too much last night as always, but he no longer had headaches or pains. Those were gone within a month when he first started drinking. Finishing up with his cleaning he gurgled some water to try to clean the smell of alcohol from his breath and spit it back into the sink. Finished, he drained the sink and went downstairs. Connor already had breakfast made and ready. Seeing David coming downstairs, he shouted into the kitchen to bring out a breakfast.

David sat silently at a table waiting for his food. He didn't have to wait too long before Sara came by with a platter. Two eggs, two slices of toast and a piece of bacon sat on the plate with a cup of water. His usual. His favorite. Sometimes the meat changed depending on what was available, but he had no complains.

Thank you. He says to Sara smiling. She smiles back but doesn't say anything. She knew who he was. There wasn't much conversation to be had. He stared as she walked backed through the swing door to the kitchen. He then saw Connor frowning at him from the corner of his eye. Not wanting to draw anymore attention to himself, he looked down at his plate and began eating. Others came in but for the most part, it was just him in the inn. Everyone else was having breakfast at home.

Finishing his plate, he got up and left it on the table. He thought about the first time he tried to bring the plate back to the kitchen so they wouldn't worry about having to clean it up. Instead he got yelled at by Connor for being back there. He He promised not to do it again. So now he just left it on the table. Sara eventually got around to cleaning it up. He was sure of it.

Heading back upstairs, he packed his backpack with water and some food. Enough to tide him over for lunch till he got back here for dinner. He then picked up his axe and inspected it. It had gotten wedged while he was trying to cut down a tree. He had to use a lot of force to get it out. Now it had become slightly bent. He would have to take it to Azur before he could start working.

Sighing, he got up reluctantly and headed out towards the blacksmith. It took him only a few minutes to get there. He saw smoke already rising. It seems others were already hard at work as well. He reached the door and knocked loudly. AZUR? he called questioningly into the air. There wasn't a need for him to do that though. He saw Azur standing in front of a barrel of water quenching a blade. He waited for the man to finish.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2014-04-04 at 05:09 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

5. - Top - End - #5

Looking up, Azur saw the local lumberjack David waiting patiently for him. Out of all the people in the village, David was one of the few people that Azur felt any kind of connection with, however faintly that might be. The look in his eyes spoke of a melancholy and loss that Azur himself often felt.

Looking down at the bent axe held in David's hands, the blacksmith snorts. "You all should have found a new blacksmith a long time ago. The tempering on everything he forges is second-rate at best. Lean it on a post and I'll get to it after finishing this blade. I'll have to reforge and retemper the axe; no amount of hammering is going to fix that. I might even have to rehandle the damn thing. That will take at least a couple of hours. Check back in a while and I might have it ready for you." Sitting down on a stool, Azur lays the blade on his apron-clad knees and takes a small block of wood from a nearby workbench. A small knife soon begins whittling away at the small wooden block.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

David nodded. He was afraid of that. Well without an axe, he couldn't go to work. So if it wouldn't be ready until a few hours, he had time to kill. But he still had the final dreaded question. How much will it be? he asks. I don't have a lot of money, but I can pay part in coin and part in wood for your fire. If that is okay with you.he adds in quickly.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

7. - Top - End - #7

Looking up from his carving, Azur replies, "I don't know yet. Depends on how much work it takes to fix it. Don't trouble yourself, David. I always offer reasonable prices. Perhaps you can use the time off to visit that Sara girl I have seen you eying. A pretty lass, that one."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-04-07 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Sorry, I had to.

8. - Top - End - #8

Borris cursed thoroughly.
    Before he could attach Farah's horse shoes, he noticed some had been resting in a little water. His roof decided it would spring a leak and now it was rusted. He couldn't attach it, so Farah went shoeles, and then the captain noticed and saw fit to point it out with a surprising amount of mockery, whilst subtly threatening to take her.
    "Doesn't the idiot know I'm best to care for her... I'm out of nails and that rust isn't going to come out... I needed to get more shoes anyway. I can let him know, look around the market, and then go hunting. The north section should be fine, just wish I didn't keep loosing my iron club caps..."

Borris began his walk into town, a bag flung over his back.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

David eyes Azur. A small flame of anger was briefly ignited within him but he extinguished it within a fraction of a second. Azur was young, too young, too know the full details of what had happened over 20 years ago. He was just jesting rather then meaning to be rude. David let it go. A random thought crossed David's mind if Azur were to marry Sara. David would approve. Azur had a good heart and a decent occupation. He shook his head to clear his mind.

I'm afraid I'm a rather too old for her tastes. But perhaps you.... David says trailing off and at the same time turning the table on Azur. Have you got your eyes set on any pretty lasses? Perhaps Sara? he asks, a smile appearing on his face.

10. - Top - End - #10

Now it was Azur's turn to feel angry at the question. His good-natured grin melts away and reforms into a cold grimace as bad memories resurface. Setting the block of wood down, he holds up his left hand for David to see. A simple gold ring adorns his ring finger. Azur knew that David could not have known, but it still took an effort not to take offense.

"I already have a wife."

Retrieving his block of wood, Azur focuses his complete attention on getting it to the point where he can slip it over the handle of the sword. Anything to keep him from thinking about Lyandra and what might have happened to her. So long as he didn't see the body, there was a sliver of hope. His manner makes it clear that the conversation is at an end.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Ah crap.... David thinks. This was supposed to be an easy light-hearted conversation, not an awkward one. Though in his mind, he should have known. He had heard rumors. Nothing concrete though. He could tell by Azur's manner and focus on work that the conversation was over. He didn't want to leave it like this though. He sets the axe down on a table, knowing Azur will get around to it and turns to leave.

As he is leaving, he looks back at Azur. Sorry. Is all he says. There is genuine grief in his voice but no pity. He was sure Azur had had enough pity in his lifetime to not need more. He doesn't stay long enough see if Azur looked up from his work or not. Stepping outside he stops. He had no idea what to do with this free time. He didn't want to go back to the inn just yet. After a moment, his feet started towards the market. He wasn't going to buy anything, but it never hurt to look.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

At this time of the day, most of the market stalls have been set up, although few buyers are there to take avail of them. The merchants are talking and laughing among themselves in between hawking their wares to those inspecting the carts. One spots David before the others, and calls out loudly, "Why, sir, I see you have returned seeking our fine goods! I assure you that my family and I got much use over this past winter from the wood you bartered for that quilt. I don't suppose you wish to make a similar arrangement today?" He smiles winningly, gesturing towards the assortment of bolts of dyed wool, garment samples, and other cloth products that make up his merchandise. Other peddlers, seeing a new target, turn from their conversations and begin shouting about their low prices and unmatched quality.

13. - Top - End - #13

Borris walks through the stalls, a critical eye looking for exactly what he wants. Anyone with a spare set of horseshoes. Basically ignoring everything else as he keeps up polite conversation... Barely.
    'What's David doing here? His axe must be out... Perhaps I can convince him to go hunting with me after I find some shoes for Farah... I'll probably have to set an order with Azur... Surely there's a horse trader here somewhere!'
    Borris slowly makes his way throughout the market, his pace slowing as he become more frustrated.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-04-11 at 10:51 PM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

There is one merchant, a ragged-looking peddler of scrap iron and other junk, who does have a pair of horseshoes on display. He cocks his head as Borris approaches. "Ah, Mr. Stablehand. Need something?" One side of his mouth curves up in a sly smile.

15. - Top - End - #15

Borris gives the man a once over, normally he'd avoid the peddler like a hound with rabies on a hunt, but he had horse shoes.
    "Yes I do. Any chance I can give those horseshoes there a once over? My barn's sprung a leak which was just above where I was storing mine."
    Borris speaks rather carefully, the peddler can probably tell he's annoyed at the shoes getting rusted.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

The merchant tsks. "Shoddy work, I tell you. Give a carpenter an inch and he'll take a mile. But I know you have more integrity than that, Mr. Stablehand." He appraises Borris narrowly, then waves his hand. "Go ahead."

17. - Top - End - #17

It takes a little bit, but eventually Azur fits the wooden handle to the new blade and binds it in good leather. He looks over the shining new blade, inspecting his latest product.

Not my best work, but not bad either. In his mind's eye, he could already see the guard admiring his new blade like a child eyes a new toy. The thought is enough to bring a small smile to his lips. It was almost funny how he made people happy by giving them new weapons. I guess that something about the state of things, now doesn't it?

Turning away from his philosophizing, Azur regards David's axe with a critical eye. I had better get to work on that. David's always behind on money, and what is a woodsman without an axe? Soon the blade is removed from the handle, which had apparently splintered underneath it. How many more swings would it have been before the head went flying off?

Heating the blade within the forge and pounding away with his hammer, Azur's mood begins to lighten. Making new things was satisfying, but mending that which was broken always had a therapeutic effect on him. He thought fondly of the time a noble had asked him to repair his family's greatsword, and the grateful look he had given afterwards. If only everything was as easy to mend as steel...

With the axe head done, Azur scrounges around for a new handle. He himself had not made any, but he knew that any blacksmith worth his coal kept some around. When he finally did find them, however, Azur's face twisted in fury. Apparently, the local blacksmith did keep a supply, but he had left them in a barrel outside the smithy. It had rained a couple of days ago and, without protective oil or a lid for cover, much of the wood had gone to rot. The young man kicks over the barrel in a display of temper.

"Damn it all to Hell, old man!"

Breathing heavily, he realizes that he will have to run to the market to get some new wood. Normally, most people just asked David when they needed wood, but that wouldn't work this time, now would it?!

Struggling to control his anger, Azur makes for the marketplace.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Instead of greeting him like an old friend, the merchants fall respectfully silent when Azur approaches. He's still an unknown to many of the townsfolk, and most of those who do know him fear his temper and unpredictable moods. One of the sellers eventually speaks up. "Need something, sir?" she asks, curtsying.

19. - Top - End - #19

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Azur responds, "As it so happens, yes. Does anyone here have a good supply of yew? It would seem that I am currently out of handle wood for my axes, shovels, and all the other tools that I forge. If any of you have anything good, I would be willing to pay well for it."

And before you even ask, yes, I have already asked David."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman who stepped up raises an eyebrow. "And he didn't have any? That's a bit odd, I've always known David to have fairly reliable stock. Well, if you don't mind a refurbished handle, I'm sure someone here can provide, and if you wish to craft it yourself then Alexios the carpenter always has a few different kinds of wood. I'm afraid I'll be of no service," she says, gesturing to the collection of strange toys and knickknacks laid out on her table, "but I hope you find what you're looking for." She smiles with only a moment's hesitation and sits back down behind the display.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Chapter II: No Refunds

The next morning, Borris wakes up with a splitting headache, the events of the previous evening swimming vaguely in his head in a disjointed blob of color and sound, and someone knocking insistently at his door. Azur, upon waking, is filled with visions of a more sober kind, a mind aflame with visions of the most perfect sword he has ever seen, alight with bitter flame, with chains around the hilt.

22. - Top - End - #22

There's only so much rolling over on a hard wooden floor you can do before you realize a fairly simple fact.
    There is no comfortable position on a wooden floor.
    'Why am I on the floor?..'
    After a moment longer Borris groans out slightly louder than he would normally speak.
    "Come in... If it's locked just hold it..."

Slowly he begins the process of prying himself off the floor and applying himself to a wall, hand against it as he walks towards the door, head facing down and away from any windows.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

23. - Top - End - #23

Was it... all just a dream?

Looking underneath his blacksmithing apron, Azur sees the chain bound to his chest. It takes him a moment to realize that his clothes and the surface he is sleeping on are covered in a light layer of hoarfrost.

So, it was real...

Azur lays still for a moment, holding his hand out before him. Then he laughs. And laughs. His laughter thunders with promised vengeance and sadistic joy.

Searching hastily through the metal stores of the smithy, Azur's eyes finally find their target: a few bars of cold iron, begging to be made into something great.

Barely a few minutes after waking, the smith stokes the flame of the forge and soon the banging of his hammer rings out earlier than usual. It is the loudest it has ever been, as Azur seeks to finish his finest creation. A fierce grin is present on his lips as he pounds away at the cowering demon faces. There will be no holding back this time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

A man Borris recognizes- Arron Carver- opens the door and slips inside, closing it hastily behind him. "Borris, what the hell did you do?" he asks, searching for the bolt to the door.

As Azur finishes forging the blade, some time later, he knows it is his greatest creation, both of a combination of personal skill, furious focus, and infernal power. And as he holds it aloft, it bursts into bright flame, and the prospective customer walking into his forge utters an expletive.

25. - Top - End - #25

Borris looks wearily in Arron's direction.
    "Get reaally, reaally drunk... I think. Why?"
    Show

Life is Hectic.

26. - Top - End - #26

As he beheld the newcomer with his new pupilless yellow orbs, Azur bares his teeth in a shockingly white grin.

"Sorry, but the smithy is now closed. Good luck finding a replacement."

Struck by a peculiar notion, Azur places the blade on his back. The chain on his chest surprises him by twisting and snaking to hold the blade in a rudimentary sheath. Grasping a nearby hanging chain, it swiftly grows all manner of spines, bards, and hooks. Azur drapes the new addition across his torso, forming it into a morbid bandolier. Despite how wicked its barbs are, none of them prick his skin.

Stepping past the shaken customer, the new chain devil marches out into the street, heading for the north gate.

It's going to be a long walk... but it will be worth it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"Borris, you burned the tavern down," Arron whispers. "I don't know how you did it, but John Alveston was hurt in the conflagration. He's being treated by a healer. She's not sure he's going to make it. I don't think anyone else saw you- you looked awful strange, sitting there sipping at your drink while flames lapped at your skin. I don't know how- some meddling wizard, maybe. But even if no one else knows, we have to get you out of town while things cool down. I believe you're innocent, Borris, but if anyone else puts two and two together, you're better off away. John was well-liked in this city. I... I liked him too." He wipes at his eyes. "I'll need an explanation, but for now I owe you at least this much. Follow me. You can come back for your things later." He steps outside and stops short at the sight of Azur making his way down the street. And Borris feels the faintest trace of a whisper in his muzzy head: Now will you believe me?

28. - Top - End - #28

Few things can bring a man to stone cold sober at a moments notice... This was one.
    "I burned down a tavern... I couldn't have... I..."
    Borris lent with his back to the wall, brow furrowed, gowing through the last day... And then there's the voice.
    "... Fey whispers in a bright forest!" Borris slammed his head back against the wall, then back forward because it was solid wood, holding his head as he continued cursing.
    "There... A fey visited me last night, I thought it was some wizard or some such playing a practical joke... I accepted a gift... I accepted a fey's gift and I don't even remember walking out the bloody door!"
    Borris immediately goes to open the door.
    "Yes... I got to get out, tell the town wizard, but if you can put two and two together so can the captain once word reaches him, I just need to grab Farah... And my hunting pack... Give me a moment then I'll follow you."
    Borris immediately heads to the stables without looking back, opening up the barn to get to Farah, who suddenly becomes rather nervous...
    'Dammit. Whatever you are you're not taking her away as well... I'm going to find you, and then I'm going to... Going to... Dammit.'
    After a moment he's leading out his horse.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Arron looks at Azur and back at Borris. "Borris, what in the name of Vecna's head is going on? A fey came to see you?? Did he visit our blacksmith as well? What has he burned down?" He laughs, but it is sour and bitter. "I'll find the sheriff and keep him occupied for the moment. You concentrate on getting the hell out of here. Send me a letter, when you're safe, and you can come back once things aren't so worrisome. Maybe see if you can get your fey friend Azur out of here too, before the people lynch him. No more death today." With that, he heads off in the opposite direction.

30. - Top - End - #30

"I will. Thank you."
    Borris turns, leading Farah through the town, trying to look like it was any other day, and trying to think of some sort of excuse should he be waylaid... He was heading through the north gate.... Henderson!.. Old Man Henderson wanted.... Check up on his dog, it's been acting strange, yea... He lived a fair while away, that would do.
    Show

Life is Hectic.