New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Generic Tomb of Horrors

So, running a game in the Tomb of Horrors for a group I know (Their DM is unable to DM them that day, so I volunteered.)

Because I've always wanted to see how it would play out, I've limited the class choices to the Generic Classes. I have however allowed most of everything else 3.5 on the table as long as they end up being ECL 10.

As per what their DM has told me, they really don't seem like the optimizing sort.

With those factors in mind, will I need to change any of the challenges to accommodate their options?
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Generic Tomb of Horrors

you don't bring a character sheet to the Tomb of Horrors. You bring a stack of em'

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, I already know. I don't expect them to beat it. In fact, I expect them to die. The reason this is a one shot. I just want to know If I made it unbeatable given their options.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    So, running a game in the Tomb of Horrors for a group I know (Their DM is unable to DM them that day, so I volunteered.)

Because I've always wanted to see how it would play out, I've limited the class choices to the Generic Classes. I have however allowed most of everything else 3.5 on the table as long as they end up being ECL 10.

As per what their DM has told me, they really don't seem like the optimizing sort.

With those factors in mind, will I need to change any of the challenges to accommodate their options?
    The Tomb of Horrors is pretty much a one-trick-pony module. Yes, there's a lot of variations on that one trick, and there's a small handful of exceptions, but by and large The Tomb is the same trick over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over ... again. If they know it well enough to come up with a method by which to neuter that one trick, then it will be a cakewalk for them (other than the small handful of exceptions). If they don't, then it'll pretty much be murder pretty much regardless of character optimization, and they'll need a large number of character sheets. Yes, you have granted them sufficient resources that if they build for it, they can roll over the tomb's main trick. If they don't... oh well. I might suggest investing in something of an automated character generator.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2014-04-03 at 09:36 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want to allow them multiple characters I'd go the Paranoia route: every time your character dies, a full-health exact clone springs up ready to take over. It saves a lot of time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Or be prepared when they start hiding behind the mound of dead bards...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

My group has been running through an expanded version of the tomb for a few sessions now and I've found that the most important tool for the published posts is your mind, not anything in a book.