New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Fine-tuning a Charge-barian

I created a charger for a single-session scenario, but the GM likes him and wants him in the regular campaign.

Spoiler: Gok the Charger
    Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Gok, level 6
    Half-Orc, Barbarian
    Build: Rageblood Barbarian
    Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
    Camp Follower (Stealth class skill)
    Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

ABILITY SCORES (according to his house rules)
    STR 22, CON 17, DEX 22, INT 7, WIS 14, CHA 14

AC: 25 Fort: 22 Ref: 21 Will: 16
    HP: 62 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +13, Endurance +12, Perception +12, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +8, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +1, Insight +5, Intimidate +7, Nature +7, Religion +1, Streetwise +5, Thievery +8

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Iron Wolf Warrior Attack: Iron Wolf Charge
    Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
    Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
    Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Escalating Violence
    Barbarian Attack 1: Swift Panther Rage
    Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
    Barbarian Attack 3: Brutal Slam
    Barbarian Attack 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
    Barbarian Utility 6: Run Rampant

FEATS
    Level 1: Battle Awareness
    Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
    Level 4: Powerful Charge
    Level 6: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise

ITEMS
    Marauder's Hide Armor +2 x1
    Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x2
    Vanguard Greatspear +1 x1
    Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
    Boots of Adept Charging x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Throwing hammer
    Handaxe
    ====== End ======

First: I picked the Battle Awareness Feat which gives an OA when an adjacent target does something. Given that I have a Reach weapon and Boots of Adept Charging (shift after charging), I shouldn't be adjacent very often--yeah, it'll happen sometimes, but not every combat and not something I want to happen. I could do Student of the Sword...but is there a better Feat for a charger-with-reach? Doesn't need to be fighter, as long as it's something appropriate for a not-very-bright Barbarian.

Second: any other fine tuning to suggest?

Rest of the party is: cavalier, swordmage, unoptimized ranger, warlock, shaman.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-05 at 09:38 AM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fine-tuning a Charge-barian

Switch the Greatspear for a Gouge and Powerful Charge for Surprising Charge. Get a Horned Helm too.
    As it would be, you'd have a 4d6 (brutal 1)+2d6+1d8+6+1+2 for an average of 16+7+9+4,5 or 36,5 on a charge instead of what you have, which is 1d10+1d6+1d8+6+1+2 or 5,5+3,5+4,5+9=22,5 damage. As for accuracy, it goes from 6+1+3+2+1 vs AC (average 20), which means 13 vs AC, for 6+1+3+3+1 or 14 vs AC. Crits go from 1d8+10+6+8+6+1+2 or 37,5 to 2d6 (brutal 1)+1d8+24+12+8+6+1+2, or 8+4,5+53=65,5.

DPR comparison: 0,65*36,5+0,05+65,5 vs 0,7*22,5+0,05*37,5 or 23,725+3,275 vs 15,75+1,875 or 27 vs 17,625.

Pretty good, uh?

Otherwise, I don't see any blatant problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Switch the Greatspear for a Gouge and Powerful Charge for Surprising Charge. Get a Horned Helm too.
    As it would be, you'd have a 4d6 (brutal 1)+2d6+1d8+6+1+2 for an average of 16+7+9+4,5 or 36,5 on a charge instead of what you have, which is 1d10+1d6+1d8+6+1+2 or 5,5+3,5+4,5+9=22,5 damage. As for accuracy, it goes from 6+1+3+2+1 vs AC (average 20), which means 13 vs AC, for 6+1+3+3+1 or 14 vs AC. Crits go from 1d8+10+6+8+6+1+2 or 37,5 to 2d6 (brutal 1)+1d8+24+12+8+6+1+2, or 8+4,5+53=65,5.

DPR comparison: 0,65*36,5+0,05+65,5 vs 0,7*22,5+0,05*37,5 or 23,725+3,275 vs 15,75+1,875 or 27 vs 17,625.

Pretty good, uh?

Otherwise, I don't see any blatant problems with it.
    Switching to the gouge is certainly nice, but that's a conditional damage roll - you need combat advantage to get the extra dice. Tweaking to a horned helm and surprising charge while still using a greatspear isn't bad, either, as you get more accuracy, if he likes the reach a lot. Also, I don't know where the extra damage on your crit with the gouge comes from, it isn't a high crit weapon (yet). I see 57.5 on a crit with the gouge, not 65.5. a crit with a greatspear and surprising charge (if you have CA, which you are assuming) and a horned helm would be 4 less; your overall damage wouldn't be much lower (22.05+2.675=24.725 vs. 26.6, or nearly 2 points of DPR for reach, and more accurate attacks with other powers if you ever need an effect to land.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I had the Horned Helm (and Vanguard 2 instead of 1) on my wishlist, but not in my budget.
    I can probably get CA fairly often--enough to make Surprising Charge worthwhile.

Suggestion on the MC feat? Something better than Student of the Sword?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that changes my calculations a bit, but not too much. Battle Awareness is the best MC feat, with very few coming close, and one of them is Battle Cleric's Lore. Fighters have some very nifty weapon goodies, so you probably were going to MC anyway, and Battle Awareness grants you a free attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Well, that changes my calculations a bit, but not too much. Battle Awareness is the best MC feat, with very few coming close, and one of them is Battle Cleric's Lore. Fighters have some very nifty weapon goodies, so you probably were going to MC anyway, and Battle Awareness grants you a free attack.
    I'm not seeing the Lore feat in the Compendium--is there a different name for it?

Surprising Charge is 1W dmg vs 2 dmg...but Surprising will never be worse by more than -2 (which is usually not going to make the difference in a kill) and will sometimes be better by +8...yeah, I'll do that.

Gouge vs Spear is "8 dmg" vs "5 dmg and Reach and +1 Attack". I don't know that the +3 damage is worth the +1 attack and the reach.

edit: for Surprising Charge, you want Combat Advantage. By RAW, you don't get CA from Flanking unless you're adjacent to the target or have the feat Polearm Flanker. Of course, you can still move adjacent while using a Reach weapon, so you can get Flanking--just without benefit of Reach. And you don't have to move adjacent if the target grants CA from being Dazed, Prone, etc.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-09 at 09:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    I'm not seeing the Lore feat in the Compendium--is there a different name for it?
    Divine healer, though it is not 100% sure if you can get BCL through it.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Surprising Charge is 1W dmg vs 2 dmg...but Surprising will never be worse by more than -2 (which is usually not going to make the difference in a kill) and will sometimes be better by +8...yeah, I'll do that.

Gouge vs Spear is "8 dmg" vs "5 dmg and Reach and +1 Attack". I don't know that the +3 damage is worth the +1 attack and the reach.
    Reach is not particularly important for a charger imo
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Reach is not particularly important for a charger imo
    If I'm not misinformed -- and I might be -- having a reach weapon actually makes charging more difficult, because you have to stop farther away from the target. So you need three squares in between, rather than two.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    If I'm not misinformed -- and I might be -- having a reach weapon actually makes charging more difficult, because you have to stop farther away from the target. So you need three squares in between, rather than two.

No- you don't have to stop as soon as you reach the range, you can keep going, as long as you're continuing to move closer. A Pixie with a whip (which would be a lousy weapon in general, but it's the only 1h Reach weapon I can find) could actually stop with one square between it and the target, adjacent to the target, or in the target's square, though the last would provoke an OA.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't HAVE to stop farther away--you just lose the benefit of Reach if you stand adjacent.

Let's say I Charge to range 2 and stick my target, then use Boots of Adept Charging to step back to range 3. Target can't "shift 1, melee" to hit me.
    Before my action, I somehow get knocked prone. I can use my Move to stand, then use my Standard to charge two spaces from range 3 to range 1 (adjacent). But now he can hit me..if he survived getting charged twice.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-04 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, right, it's in 3.X where you have to stop your charge movement as soon as you're close enough to attack. Not 4e.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, right, it's in 3.X where you have to stop your charge movement as soon as you're close enough to attack. Not 4e.
    And some other changes -- in 3.5, as I recall, you had to go in a straight line. In 4e, straight lines are only needed for puns.

14. - Top - End - #14

NinjaGuy

As I found out previously to my great annoyance, BCL is not actually in the Compendium, only in Dragon Magazine 400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    As I found out previously to my great annoyance, BCL is not actually in the Compendium, only in Dragon Magazine 400.
    Ah. I was wondering...but scale armor? Healing surge? A barbarian needs not these things...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Barbarian Attack 1: Swift Panther Rage
    That gives me extra move ("Until the rage ends, you gain a +2 bonus to speed and can shift 2 as a move action").

On the other hand Life-Ending Strike gives me 4W damage plus all the charge cheese. Potentially (assuming Surprising Charge applies and that I want to add Furious Assault and Iron Wolf Charge) 6d10+d8+d6+10--average 51, crit 84+d8.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. I was wondering...but scale armor? Healing surge? A barbarian needs not these things...
    Actually, you gain a +2 shield bonus to AC (pretty good, considering no barbarian will ever use a normal shield) and proficiency with scale armor (this means you can just focus on STR/CON or STR/CHA, instead of having to boost Dexterity). The healing surge benefit is wasted, I give you that, but reducing MAD, increasing your AC by 3 to 4 points, a free skill training and allowing access to cleric feats for a single feat is pretty good, isn't it?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Actually, you gain a +2 shield bonus to AC (pretty good, considering no barbarian will ever use a normal shield) and proficiency with scale armor (this means you can just focus on STR/CON or STR/CHA, instead of having to boost Dexterity). The healing surge benefit is wasted, I give you that, but reducing MAD, increasing your AC by 3 to 4 points, a free skill training and allowing access to cleric feats for a single feat is pretty good, isn't it?
    Yep. Gok has better AC than anyone else in the party--25 base, 26 when charging, our defenders have 24--but that's a good feat. If I can find a way to get DDI to recognize it, I may add that to my warlord when he next levels.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yep. Gok has better AC than anyone else in the party--25 base, 26 when charging, our defenders have 24--but that's a good feat. If I can find a way to get DDI to recognize it, I may add that to my warlord when he next levels.
    It's not a feat itself, you take the cleric feat that gets you healers lore and then swap it for BCL. Assuming your GM lets you. IMO the MAD reduction is overstated but it's still decent. Biggest issue is It restricts your MC choice when you probably want to take fighter powers or something.

You're a barbarian, get better at murdering things before worrying more about boosting AC
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-04-07 at 04:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    You're a barbarian, get better at murdering things before worrying more about boosting AC
    Yup. I would take it for my warlord, not my barbarian. Barbarian wants more "to hit" and maybe an AoE.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-07 at 09:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

A + for the gouge is its a spear so you can take spear experies insted of two-handed for the bonus to damage on a charge.

That said Im away from my builder so I dont actualy know what two-handed gives you beyond the +1/2/3 to hit also it just feels awsome when you re-roll those 1s and they come up 6s

Edit: I missed the other weapon is a greatspear so you can already take the spear goodies
    Last edited by Yomega; 2014-04-11 at 12:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yomega View Post
    A + for the gouge is its a spear so you can take spear expertise instead of two-handed for the bonus to damage on a charge.

That said Im away from my builder so I dont actualy know what two-handed gives you beyond the +1/2/3 to hit also it just feels awsome when you re-roll those 1s and they come up 6s
    Our ranger has a brutal weapon; he rerolls 1s and invariably gets 2s. I think his dice are cursed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Our ranger has a brutal weapon; he rerolls 1s and invariably gets 2s. I think his dice are cursed.
    Conversely, I love Brutal. Ups damage on my charger by a fair bit (above the average of 4/die for sure)
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]