New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Matrix Revisited- a D20 Modern Homebrewed Campain Setting

Hello All. This is my first homebrew campaign setting. It is a random thought that came to me on my way home from work one day (a 40 minuet drive). Right so here we go:

Basic history: This campaign takes place approx. 100 years after the last matrix movie. A era of peace has been maintained since the reforgeing of the matrix and the death of Neo. The people of Zion now have a working alliance with the machines, to the point of there being an agency specifically designed to seek out people in the matrix who would at one point have either been “liberated” or killed by the once warring factions. Thus allowing those individuals who chose to see beyond the veil of their sheltered existence to be peacefully brought to Zion and into the real world. The quality of life in Zion has greatly improved from what we saw in the movies. Unfortunately peace cannot last forever. Two guerilla factions have formed in the last few years.

1. The Human Supremacy Assembly ( The H.S.A.) - A group of humans who feel that this collaboration with the machines is nothing more than another form of control and that the people of Zion are diluted fools who are as much prisoners as the people in the matrix. Their goals are to stir up as much trouble for the people of Zion and the Machine city as possible, and to eventually see the machines be driven off earth or destroyed.

2. The Revolutionary Army of Smith* - A group of machines that have decided that the some of the ideals of Smith were admirable, despite the fact that he was a raving lunatic. They feel that they are a much higher form of intelligence than the humans and to be forced to feed off their energy is deplorable and that working with them as equals is even worse. Their ultimate goal is to come up with a means to travel through the storm field and leave this dying planet behind. Once in space they could feed off of the suns rays and start afresh. Until this goal is achievable they are content to steal resources to fuel their future goals.
    *this is a tentative title. Likely to change

These two factions have no love for each other, in fact they have been known on more than one occasion to fight each other for territory and resources. Rumours have it that two groups have been known to work together to achieve larger goals that neither could seemingly accomplish on their own but these rumours are thought mainly to be the talk of the paranoid.

The only thing holding the peace together and preventing the matrix from falling apart is the a group of individuals both human and machine working together. This group is known simply as “The Agency “.

Races:

Players will be able to chose from 3 available races. These races will each have certain special abilities depending on where the character is at any given point whether they be in the Matrix or in the Real world. Unlike your typical races though these abilities will not all be available at character creation. The character will as he levels up in classes will also unlock more and more of their race abilities similar to a Monster class seen in D&D save that these the player will not need to take levels in their race due to the fact that these race levels will work in concert with the class levels. *Race levels will come at a later date.

1. The Awakened- these individuals are people who are humans who were born in the matrix but have since discovered the nature of the real word. They may travel physically through both the Matrix and the Real world.

2. Zion Born- These are humans who were born in Zion. They may not enter the matrix physically but can act as an operator who may change the physical environment of the matrix for his companions. Example: making a door where their wasn’t one.

3. Companion- After the peace was established the Agents of old (Mr. Smith in the first movie) had no purpose but instead of deletion they were reprogrammed to assist the Human Agents in the peaceful removal of the pre-Awakened. They Cannot physically enter the Real world though they have holographic representations that can communicate with humans not in the matrix. They may also temporarily use electronic equipment via remote. Example fly a ship or fire ship guns while their human companions are unable to.

Classes: the basic classes from the D20 modern handbook will be the same for all races: PrClasses will be considered in the future

Well that’s all I have at this time let me know what you think.

*Note: The author assumes the Matrix is copyrighted by its owners and has no intention of making money off this idea. It is meant for people to enjoy in local gaming session atmospheres and not for publication.
    Last edited by Ravens_Wing; 2007-02-04 at 10:31 PM.
    The Bard's Song
    Carpe DM! (Seize the Dungeon Master!)
    "If you help their Verse you'll just make things Worse"
    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    May not operate a travelling kitchen since not all wandering monsters taste like chicken, even if we do add garlic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Matrix Revisited- a D20 Modern Homebrewed Campain Setting

I made a Base Class based off of Neo. It's kind of interesting, based off of the monk. Would you like to see it?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure... mabey it could be turned into a Prc for the campain
    The Bard's Song
    May not operate a travelling kitchen since not all wandering monsters taste like chicken, even if we do add garlic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_Wing View Post
    Two Gorilla factions have formed in the last few years.
    Factions of apes?

(hint: it's guerilla)

Sorry, minor nitpick.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    It's better to have an option you can ignore rather than not have an option at all.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

lol all fixed now. 8p
    The Bard's Song

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure... mabey it could be turned into a Prc for the campain
    Yeah, it was kind of designed with D&D in mind. Anyway, let's see if I can dig up my old stuff about it....

OK, I called it the Bender, and apparently there's a Psionic class by that name? Either way, it's totally different. (Hint, use Detect Sarcasm)

Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: d8
    Class Skills: Balance (Str), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Planes, Geography, History, Local, individually taken) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)
    Skill Points: 6 + Int Mod

Bender
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Flurry of Blows|AC Bonus
    1st|+0|+0|+2|+2| Programmed Knowledge 1/Day|N/A|+0
    2nd|+1|+0|+2|+2| Evasion|N/A|+0
    3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Flurry of Blows|+0/+0|+0
    4th|+3|+1|+3|+3| Programmed Knowledge 2/Day|+1/+1|+0
    5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|There is no Spoon|+1/+1|+1
    6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Haste 1/Day|+2/+2|+1
    7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|There is no Disease|+4/+4|+1
    8th|+6|+2|+6|+6|X-Treme Martial Arts!|+5/+5/+0|+1
    9th|+6|+3|+6|+6|There is no Pain|+5/+5/+0|+1
    10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|Programmed Knowledge 3/Day, Haste 2/Day |+6/+6/+1|+2
    11th|+8|+3|+7|+7|Improved Evasion|+8/+8/+3|+2
    12th|+9|+4|+8|+8|There is no Poison|+9/+9/+4|+2
    13th|+9|+4|+8|+8|Greater Flurry|+9/+9/+9/+4|+2
    14th|+10|+4|+9|+9|Programmed Knowledge 4/Day|+10/+10/+10/+5|+2
    15th|+11|+5|+9|+9|Magic is an Illusion|+11/+11/+11/+6/+1|+3
    16th|+12|+5|+10|+10|Haste 3/Day|+12/+12/+12/+7/+2|+3
    17th|+12|+5|+10|+10|Truesight|+12/+12/+12/+7/+2|+3
    18th|+13|+6|+11|+11|Programmed Knowledge 5/Day|+13/+13/+13/+8/+3|+3
    19th|+14|+6|+11|+11|Time is an Illusion|+14/+14/+14/+9/+4|+3
    20th|+15|+6|+12|+12|Fly, Haste 4/Day|+15/+15/+15/+10/+5|+4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    A Bender is Proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, as well as light armor, but no shields.

Programmed Knowledge (Ex)
    At 1st level, a Bender can provide himself a +4 insight bonus to any one skill check, once per day. This improves to 2/Day at 4th level, 3/Day at 7th level, 4/Day at 14th level and 5/Day at 18th level

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
    When lightly or unarmored, a Bender may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column the Bender's Table. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the Bender might make before her next action. When a Bender reaches 7th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 11th level it disappears. A Bender must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.
    When using flurry of blows, a Bender may attack only with unarmed strikes or light weapons. She may attack with unarmed strikes and light weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a Bender applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The Bender can't use any weapon other than a light weapon as part of a flurry of blows.
    In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a Bender may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.
    Greater Flurry
    When a Bender reaches 13th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.

There is no Spoon (Su)
    At 5th level, a Bender gets a +2 insight bonus to resist Illusions or Enchantments

Haste (Sp)
    At 6th level, a Bender may activate Haste upon himself as a free action once per day, as per the spell with a caster level equal to his Bender level. At 10th level, this improves to 2/Day, at 16th, 3/Day and at 20th, 4/Day

There is no Disease (Su)
    At 7th level, a Bender becomes immune to non-magical diseases.

X-Treme Martial Arts! (Ex)
    At 8th level, a Bender gains the ability to run on walls, even straight up them, and to jump off walls, and to suspend themselves in mid-air for one round. Additionally, once per day they may add their Bender level to Str, Dex, or Con for one round.

There is no Pain (Su)
    At 9th level, a Bender at 0 or less hit points may make a Fort Save equal the the amount of damage they've taken this round to stay conscious. They do not fall unconscious or die until they fail a Fort Save.

There is no Poison (Su)
    At 12th level, a Bender becomes immune to poisons of all types.

Magic is an Illusion (Su)
    At 15th level, a Bender gains spell resistance equal to 10+Their Bender Level

Truesight (Sp)
    At 17th level, a Bender sees things as they really are, as though they are constantly affected by the spell Truesight.

Time is an Illusion (Su)
    At 19th level, a Bender is immune to further affects of aging, magical or otherwise.

Fly (Sp)
    At 20th level, a Bender gains the ability to Fly, once per day, as per the spell with the character's Bender level as Caster Level.

================================================== ======

OK, so there are some things that don't fit into d20 Modern, but do with it what you want.
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-02-04 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Stupid Table
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thats not bad. That Programmed Knowledge ability I might be able to use it as one of the abilities for The Awakened Race abilities. Or at the very least something similar to it.

Good Good, well People lets hear some more opinions. I would like to hear them all the Good, The Bad, and The Silly

Let me know what you think!
    The Bard's Song

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

will running on walls be involved?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, as much as I love the idea of a Matrix campaign, one thing pops to mind;
    If one hundred years have passed...what the hell is the Matrix like now? Do they just reboot it every now and then to keep it in the right year or something?
    Also; Try advanced classes instead of prestige. Advanced classes have lower requirements, so they can be accessed by about 3rd level usually.
    For advanced classes, maybe then you could start sorting out roles. Say, the smart class could become the Operator (can grant bonuses when entering the Matrix, ability to load weapons, download information) or Hacker (can change areas of the Matrix, create codes to disable certain machines, improve guns to silly levels [rocket launching handguns]).
    Also, don't forget the Exiles. They'll still be around, considering the Machines will still be updating software. Hell, a couple of Agents may have even joined the Exiles, which could prove a real challenge.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I still degree that there needs to be a feat to enable wall running in the matrix. And bullet time needs to be put in aswell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Wall running...
    I believe a Physic Warrior ability allows you to do that.
    Maybe have a sort of Psionic Focus ability, that allows you to trigger Bullet Time abilities?
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Closed Account

But that doesn't fit d20 Modern. It shouldn't be able to, though, since d20 Modern has no 20 level classes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Well, as much as I love the idea of a Matrix campaign, one thing pops to mind;
    If one hundred years have passed...what the hell is the Matrix like now? Do they just reboot it every now and then to keep it in the right year or something?
    Yes. The Architect says as much at the end of Reloaded. I know you've probably tried to forget that movie, but it's still there.

Well, actually, like everything else in the sequels, there's like fifty-seven different ways to interpret what the Architect says, but that's the most convenient interpretation for the campaign setting. You could also say that rebooting the Matrix doesn't cause any temporal discontinuites (ie that subsuming the previous One just causes the Matrix to continue where it left off), but that does this setting no good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awsome this is the kinda things that I am looking for!

1. I would have it so that the matrix does reset itself every so often so what I was thinking is that when in the matrix it would be like modern day. 2007. the idea being that the matrix develops to a point just prior to AI being created and then resets.

2. Yes low level obtainable Advance Classes would be better than PrCs will have to work on a few for each race though... like have operators being a Zionborn only class but hackers could be something that any race could take levels in....Hmmm This is good now you've got me thinking here.
    yes I think this will be a campain that will encourage multi classing but then again D20 modern system is like that to begin with.(none of the base classes have more than 10 lvls)

3. As for wall running and the such i was thinking that i would base that off of the Psionic ruleset. the rules for this specifically i am working on at this time but things like that willl only be useable in the matrix obviously

4. and just as a rule there will be no more "The Ones" at least not if i run this setting. but if any other Dm wants to take this setting down that path they are more than welcome to do so.

5. Hehe I forgot about the Exiles. hmm... I think that the Exiles will still exsist but to a lesser exstent. Do to humanities nature most exiles are accepted in Zion where they are placed in positions where they of use. now not all exiles are willing or capable of accepting positions in the new order so there are still exiles out there. The exiles would not be in contact at all with the Revolutionary Army of Smith(I still dont like this name suggestions would be appreciated) due to the fact that the machines are lookingto the future and have a mentality of he who falls behind is left behind. As fot the H.S.A. they might not like the exiles as they are machines but that isnt to say that they would not bully or threaten the exiles to get what they want be it information or something else.

Great Job Guys! Lets keep the ideas comming!
    The Bard's Song

15. - Top - End - #15

3. As for wall running and the such i was thinking that i would base that off of the Psionic ruleset. the rules for this specifically i am working on at this time but things like that willl only be useable in the matrix obviously
    Maybe replace "Psionic Focus" with something more VR-themed. Heck, Enter the Matrix used "Focus" to do all those cool stunts.

4. and just as a rule there will be no more "The Ones" at least not if i run this setting. but if any other Dm wants to take this setting down that path they are more than welcome to do so.
    Technically, the machines still need The One to fix whatever poorly-explained coding issues keep cropping up (I forget exactly what The One's purpose was, but it had something to do with fixing glitches and keeping all the free guys in one place). Still, the Watchowskis were pretty vague, so you could interpret things however you want. Good excuse: The machines no longer need to periodically destroy and rebuild Zion, so that purpose of The One is unnecessary. Furthermore, the coding issues are simplified now that they no longer have to think up ways to satisfy those who "want out," so they can just recode everything without The One.

5. Hehe I forgot about the Exiles. hmm... I think that the Exiles will still exsist but to a lesser exstent. Do to humanities nature most exiles are accepted in Zion where they are placed in positions where they of use. now not all exiles are willing or capable of accepting positions in the new order so there are still exiles out there. The exiles would not be in contact at all with the Revolutionary Army of Smith(I still dont like this name suggestions would be appreciated) due to the fact that the machines are lookingto the future and have a mentality of he who falls behind is left behind. As fot the H.S.A. they might not like the exiles as they are machines but that isnt to say that they would not bully or threaten the exiles to get what they want be it information or something else.

Great Job Guys! Lets keep the ideas comming!
    No, I think there will still be plenty of Exiles. After all, the code still needs to be mantained on a regular basis, and this maintenance is what creates the Exiles in the first place. I don't think they'd have any place in Zion, but I could see a few uses for some lucky ones (the Zionists still use VR programs, and these are far lower-tech than the Matrix, so a few Exiles could be used in running them). Note also that there are probably several Exiles who have situations like Sati in the third film: Essentially created illegally and forced into a fugitive state in the Matrix. Lastly, Exiles like the Merovingian and the Trainman will enjoy their power too much to change their situation.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Make everything ludicrously based off Dexterity, and heap on the bonuses.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald View Post
    Make everything ludicrously based off Dexterity, and heap on the bonuses.
    Actually, Dex has nothing to do with anything in the Matrix. It's all mental stats in there. Neo himself was a feeble, weak guy who spent his entire life in the fetal position (and even inside the Matrix he was only a software engineer: Not exactly the most athletic of fellows).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Actually, Dex has nothing to do with anything in the Matrix. It's all mental stats in there. Neo himself was a feeble, weak guy who spent his entire life in the fetal position (and even inside the Matrix he was only a software engineer: Not exactly the most athletic of fellows).
    But I thought they explained that the whole "Mind over Matter" thing would exercise them, similarly to how if they die in the Matrix, they die in real life.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    But I thought they explained that the whole "Mind over Matter" thing would exercise them, similarly to how if they die in the Matrix, they die in real life.
    Mind over Matter only works in the VR simulation of the Matrix. Neo had to get his muscles artificially rebuilt after being freed. You still die in real life if slain in the Matrix due to your body's reaction to thinking it's dead (massive spike in heart rate and endocrine system that basically results in death from shock: It's questionable medically, and they should theoretically be able to prevent that with certain medical supplies, but it makes for a good movie--after all, the entire concept of The Matrix violates two laws of thermodynamics).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, I think there will still be plenty of Exiles. After all, the code still needs to be mantained on a regular basis, and this maintenance is what creates the Exiles in the first place. I don't think they'd have any place in Zion, but I could see a few uses for some lucky ones (the Zionists still use VR programs, and these are far lower-tech than the Matrix, so a few Exiles could be used in running them). Note also that there are probably several Exiles who have situations like Sati in the third film: Essentially created illegally and forced into a fugitive state in the Matrix. Lastly, Exiles like the Merovingian and the Trainman will enjoy their power too much to change their situation.
    hmm.. yeah the lowertech versions of Vr that they have in Zion is what i had in mind for the Exiles to help out with. I dont really consider programs like Merovingian and the Trainman to be true exiles. I think of them more as the Moffia seeming to be "Business Men" but in truth they have a more sinaster nature. perhaps they are a nutral 4th group not playing all of the other sides against the middle or helping out where the most proffit is.
    As for the other Exiles yeah i think you are right there would still be quite a few of them. Homeless programs that wander the Matrix and while the legidiment government knows they exsist they dont really do anything to help or hinder the Exiles provided they dont get into trouble. And this inturn allows the HSA and the Matrix Moffia(Merovingian) to take advantage of them and use them for their own plans.

As for the whole Mind over matter issue and wether your body in the matrix is like your body outside of it for simplicity sake I figured that whatever class levels the Awakened take would affect both their in Matrix bodies and Real world bodies. Its like when Morphius is describing to Neo in the first movie when you enter the matrix you look like your self, sure there may be a few details that are different like the style of your cloths or the cut of your hair, or the fact that you dont have bits of metal sticking out the back of your head but your still you. It's your residual self image. so no everything is not gonig to be based off of dex you will end up getting more matrix powers as you level in your race.

This is Awsome People lets keep at it!
    Last edited by Ravens_Wing; 2007-02-05 at 05:54 PM.
    The Bard's Song

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind over Matter only works in the VR simulation of the Matrix. Neo had to get his muscles artificially rebuilt after being freed. You still die in real life if slain in the Matrix due to your body's reaction to thinking it's dead (massive spike in heart rate and endocrine system that basically results in death from shock: It's questionable medically, and they should theoretically be able to prevent that with certain medical supplies, but it makes for a good movie--after all, the entire concept of The Matrix violates two laws of thermodynamics).
    Ah yes, makes sense.

Heh, only two, though?
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd suggest using Feng Shui or some other "cinematic" roleplaying-system instead of d20, which I feel is better suited for dungeon-crawling than cinematic action. Just my personal opinion. Go with whatever you want, but looking into a few other systems can't hurt..?

Oh. And I hav now officially abandoned my lurker-status. Hello Giant :)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Why stick to Matrix continuity and mythology?

Instead of using humans for energy (which is rather ridiculous), have them use humans for computation. Human brains are hijacked to be used for machine computation. The body and the mind is kept healthy by the Matrix.

Humans outside of the matrix hack into the matrix and communicate with people there. Getting people free of the matrix, then hacking back into the matrix, is difficult -- it is easier to just "awaken" people within the matrix proper. The problem with "awaken"ing people inside the matrix is that machines can bypass the matrix code and kill your body -- so the "awakened" are highly vunerable.

The "free" are those who have had their body freed, and hack back into the matrix. They can still be killed from their matrix connection, but they can log out and log back in to the matrix.

The "unplugged" are those humans born outside of the matrix. They can't log into the matrix.

Freeing an awakened is expensive in terms of Zion's resources.

Group structure: Unplugged are support staff. Because they don't directly interact with the Matrix, they are best left as NPCs (pretty boring). Their skills, programs and hardware are still key -- many quests will be done to get better gear for your support staff.

Characters generally start out as Awakened, and occasionally have contact with the Free. As they gain power and skill at manipulating the Matrix, they eventually become "worth Freeing".

Classes are based off masteries of various kinds of matrix manipulation. Multiclassing is encouraged.

The "physics" of the Matrix is that you can change the rules through acts of will. Knowing that the Matrix isn't real makes this far easier, but it can happen without it. The ability to manipulate Matrix is grows the closer one is to one's body. This means ranged weapons are weak against the aware -- you can manipulate your aim to be perfect, but as the bullets get closer to your target your control weakens and your target's control grows.

Example Masteries might include:
    Master of Force (project physical strength)
    Master of Integrity (toughness and resistance)
    Master of Grace (warp Matrix so your motions are accurate)
    Master of Freedom (run on walls, ignore gravity)
    Master of Clock (move quicker)
    Master of Sense (see things as they are)

Bending the Matrix should require "matrix points". I'd vote for 3 pools of points -- pool A refreshes every Battle, pool B refreshes every Day, and pool C is refreshed by succeeding at tasks/quests -- any of which can be spent on bending the matrix.

Equipment might vary from hardware (physical objects in the real world), software (items that exist within the matrix, and cannot be uploaded) and wetware (software upgrades to the matrix hardware in your own body).

Hardware would be purchased with "Zion dollars".

Software can be found within the Matrix, but it is temporary -- you can't take it with you if you jack out. Your starting software capabilities when you jack in is determined by your hovercraft's hardware.

Wetware is found within the matrix -- stolen from agents, radicals (free programs), etc.

The prophesy of "the one" could still exist.

There can be multiple matrixes. A "modern day" one, a middle ages one, a fantasy world, a science-fiction space opera, a post-apocyptic one, etc.

Or at least, that is one set of ideas. :)

24. - Top - End - #24

Two sets of stats--normal, and "one with the Matrix."
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd play this, as long as every battle using guns does not turn into another lobby scene. I'd allow people to have their own little worlds with limited jacking in (example, ghosts garden).

another name for the revolutionary army of smith could just be called Legion of Smith. Their battlecry is "our name is legion, for we are many".

The One could still be there, just not playable. I wrote an essay saying that if a person had enough belief behind them, they too could do what the One does. neo had all of zion behind him so he proved them right. reminds me of the discworld gods
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

26. - Top - End - #26

First off, a few feats that already thematically fit:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/ps...htm#upTheWalls

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/ps...speedOfThought

Next, I'd say adapt the Psionic Focus to a Matrix-themed focus and create more feats that allow things like this, as well as those that require expenditure of psionic focus for more interesting things. A power point pool for all characters would also help fuel things like this. Maybe take a look at some of the boosts in the Book of the Nine Swords and adapt them to a psionic power-point base. The psionic feats and powers in general really fit in the theme quite well, I think.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good Good. As for two sets of stats for the Awakened race that could be possible but i fear it becoming two complicated you know w. two character sheets and what not ... although having 2 character sheets would allow an easy way to keep inMatrix and out of Matrix possesions seperate...hmmm

Good feats there Behold_the_Void those are the kinda things that i would want for the Awakened and Compainion Race sets or even just as feats for them to take normally. Also the Idea of a power point pool is the way i was thinking of taking most of the Focus feats/moves just to make it so that the classes dont become over powered and the idea works ingame too. You need to focus to do the cool flippy bullet time float in midair and kick somebody moves and that takes mental energy.

lol dont worry knightsaline every scene with guns wont be like the Lobby scene just because you have cool powers guns can still hit you it is just a little harder for people who are unawakened hit you . But dont forget that there are enemys that are awakened or are machiens as well which means that they get cool abilities too.

As for the name of the machine faction insead of the Legion of Smith why not just "The Legion"? Actually it could be the legion of smith but every one just calls it the legion for short.

I like the idea of there being small areas that a limited number of people can loggin to. kind of like the training areas that morphius took neo through, from the dojo to the Woman in red bit. and stuff like that.

I am still feel that having a One in this kinda setting might throw things off but as i said that would be something that i would leave up to individual DMs. If they did have a One i would recommend that he not be a playable character.

Keep up the Awsome Ideas guys!
    The Bard's Song

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright a couple feats to help with this Matrix-Real World problem...

[Free Your Mind]
    Prerquisites; Awakened, Int 15+
    Benefits; Whenever a Strength check is required inside the Matrix, you may substitue your Intelligence bonus instead of your Strength. You may use this during combat as well, using your Intelligence bonus to attack.

[There Is No Spoon]
    Prerequisites[ Awakened, Free Your Mind, Int 17+
    Benefits; As Free Your Mind, but you may also use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. You may even replace your Dexterity bonus to Defense with your Intelligence modifier

[He's beginning to believe]
    Prerquisites; Awakened, Free Your Mind, There Is No Spoon, Int 19+
    Benefits; As Free Your Mind, but instead of Strength you may replace your Constitution modifier with your Intelligence modifier. You may also replace your Constitution modifier with your Intelligence modifier for determining bonus hit points upon level up. You may not gain bonus hit points retroactively though.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold_the_Void View Post
    That's the one I meant.
    Last edited by Jibar; 2007-02-06 at 11:53 AM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

A Matrix d20 thought dump.

I think we want people in the normal world to be, well, relatively normal.

In the world of the matrix, they can manipulate the rules of the universe.

How about a skill-based d20 game, with all conflicts decided by opposed rolls?

Your "matrix core stats" go up as you gain levels at a rate between 1/2 your level and 3/2 your level. These act as modifiers on your skills. These stats don't have to correspond to actual physical stats -- they are ways of bending the matrix. You aren't flesh and bone, you are code. What you know you can do, you can do.

So a L 10 matrix aware character would have the equivilent of +4 to +20 to all actions from his matrix stats. On top of that, another up to +13 from skills.

Your skills can be as broad as "melee weapons" or "ranged weapons". A large axe would do more damage, a katana might have a bonus to hit, and a shield might have a bonus to block.

An attack would be d20+(stat + skill) vs d20+(stat + defence). If you hit, the attacker does extra damage based on their matrix stats, and the defender soaks extra damage based on their stats.

Non-aware targets use standard d20 rules -- which should result in even a tank having a problem fighting against a L 10 Aware character using his fists.

Matrix Core Stats: (stats at manipulating the matrix)
    Int-based:
    Power: (raw damage and strength)
    Clock: (speed)

Wis-based:
    Sense: (read the code)
    Tweak: (change the rules, hack)

Cha-based:
    Integrity: (toughness)
    Freedom: (ignore rules of matrix)

The "matrix stats" are real-life skills. You can train them up to your (Level+3)/2.

In addition, every matrix level grants bonuses to these stats.

Manipulating the matrix at range is difficult. For every 5' square of range beyond the first, you get a -2 penalty to actively manipulating the matrix (this includes shooting someone with a bullet). Using sense to detect something falls off slower -- -1 penalty for every 10'.

Things that aren't Aware of the Matrix much like d20 characters. They have normal physical stats.

Real life:
    You have 1 HP per level, plus your con stat (not bonus, entire stat) at L 0. Damage below 0 HP is turned into con damage.

So a L 10 matrix character with 12 con has 22 real-life HP.

Aware classes grant 2+int real-life skills.

Matrix:

You gain +2 free points for matrix stats every level (capped at (level+3)/2), and (mental stat mod)/2+1 matrix skills for each mental stat. (ie, if you have +3 int mod, that is 2.5 int-based matrix skill points per level).

Each matrix class boosts your matrix stats as well. Which stats they boost depends on the class.
    Poor: +1/2 levels. (3 stats)
    Average: +3/4 levels. (2 stats)
    Good: +1/1 levels. (1 stat)

Mental Stats: (your brain, both inside and outside the matrix)
    Int:
    Wis:
    Cha:

These stats modify your matrix stats and determine how many matrix skill points you get per level.

Physical Stats: (important outside of the matrix)
    Str:
    Dex:
    Con:

These stats are relatively useless inside the matrix.

Use active offence and defence.

3 kinds of actions:
    Defence: used to defend.
    Offence: used to attack.
    Free: used to attack or defend.

Unaware beings have one defence and one free action per round.

You can consume 1 Defence action, and as many Free actions as you want, to move 10' per action consumed. You cannot consume 2 Defence actions in one round to move. In addition, the Move skill grants free movement in combat.

Aware beings get extra free and defence actions. Free actions are based off clock. Every 10 clock is 1 extra free action. Leftovers provide free actions with penalties: subtract 10 from the leftover amount, and you get a free action at that penalty.

Ie, someone with 17 clock has 2 free actions at no penalty and one at -3.

Extra defence actions are based off of your Integrity. The same rules as free actions -- every 10 integrity is 1 extra defence action, with leftovers providing for an action at a penalty.

If you beat an attack by 10, you get an extra bonus defence action at an extra -10. This continues indefinately, and allows a single high-skill Aware character to defeat multiple non-Aware attackers.

Use the initiative skill to see who goes first. You get to do all of your actions on your turn, or save some for later.

Damage is based off of your technique used to attack, plus your Power.

All Aware characters have DR equal to half of their Integrity. Critical hits divide your integrity by the multiplier instead of boosting damage against the Aware.

When you attack someone, roll d20+your modifiers. They can choose to use a defence, which makes the roll contested -- if they do not, a roll of 10 or higher succeeds. Running out of defences sucks.

Different kinds of attacks use different methods and are opposed by different defences. Almost all attacks can be defended against in multiple ways.

Attacking an awakened person in a way they have seen from you before gives them a +10 bonus to their Defence. Using the same attack on the same target multiple times in a round results in a cumulative bonus to their Defence.

Defending against an attack in a way that you have done before against that attacker gives you a -10 penalty to your Defence.

Attacks should be described visually, and Defences should be quickly explained. Only the most implausible Defence should be banned -- give the player a -5 or -10 on their roll instead. Creative Attacks or Defences are worth up to +5.

Grant each player:
    1 battle token
    1 day token
    1 quest token

per Aware level of the character. These tokens are used to power special abilities.

You regain battle tokens every battle. You regain day tokens every real-life day. You regain quest tokens by succeeding at tasks (ie, they are per-adventure tokens).

Ideas for Matrix "skills", and the Matrix stat they are based on. Skills based on more than 1 stat can be purchased seperately for each stat.

Sample skill list:
    Melee weapons (Power/Freedom) (adds to attack rolls when fighting)
    Brawl (Power/Freedom) (punch, kick, etc)
    Grapple (Power) (does half damage, but gives a penalty of -1 for every damage)
    Lift (Power) (feats of strength)

Throw (Freedom) (does half damage, but throws 1 square per damage)
    Move (Freedom) (run on walls, jump between skyscrapers, etc. Can be used to defend at 1/2. You can move without consuming actions 1/2 of your move skill in 5' units.)
    Dodge (Freedom) (defend against attacks)

Soak (Integrity) (defend by simply making the attack not hurt you)

Luck (Tweak)
    Disrupt (Tweak) (distract, defend by tweaking code, etc)
    Stealth (Tweak) (move about unnoticed)

Initiative (Sense) (go first)
    Ranged combat (Sense) (guns, bows, etc)
    Track (Sense) (follow code traces)
    Notice (Sense) (spot surprises)

Slow (Clock) (a successful defence roll against an attempted action undoes the action.)
    Leave (Clock) (bend time when someone isn't paying enough attention, and get up and leave.)

HP: Each character level is worth 5 HP in the matrix. Each point of integrity is worth 2 HP in the matrix.
    Outside of the matrix, as mentioned, characters have HP equal to their CON plus their LEVEL.

Scale of numbers:

A L 10 Aware combat-oriented character might have:
    14 int (20 matrix skill points)
    12 wis (15 matrix skill points)
    16 cha (25 matrix skill points)

Matrix stats: (mental stat + bonus from levels + matrix skill points spent)
    Power: 2+10+6 = 18 (18 extra damage on all attacks)
    Clock: 2+7+6 = 15 (0/0/-5 free actions per round)
    Integrity: 3+7+6 = 16 (0/0/-4 defence actions per round, 8 DR)
    Freedom: 3+5+2 = 10
    Sense: 1+5+0 = 6
    Tweak: 1+5+0 = 6

HP: 84
    Tokens: 10 battle, 10 daily, 10 quest
    10 feats (undetailed as yet)

Matrix skills: (points + stat)
    Melee (Power): 13+18 = 31
    Brawl (Power): 7+18 = 25
    Soak (Integrity): 10+16 = 26
    Melee (Freedom): 13+10 = 23
    Move (Freedom): 2+10 = 12
    Ranged (Sense): 13+6 = 19
    Stealth (Tweak): 2+6 = 8

Feats:
    Feats should do the following: First, they add +5 (non-stacking bonus) to one move, and allow you to burn a token to do something super-special.

Players should gain 1 Matrix Feat per level, with different aware classes have access to different feat trees.

NPC "real life" classes should exist that don't grant Matrix abilities. Ideally the heros should be able to be almost as good as the NPCs are in "real life" (because that is fun), but the NPCs in "real life" provide valueable support (pilot the hovercraft, monitor the matrix, etc while the players are resting).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Yakk; 2007-02-06 at 02:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could have the One in the game as a legend that awakened aspire to be like. Is it possible to have what I term "purple pills", those who are aware of the falseness of the world around them, yet are not "freed" (example, that guy from the animatrix short film world record). is it possible to have "glitched" areas where "blue pills" can do things like hover, smash bottles and watch the bottle reform in front of them. (kind of like the animatrix film beyond, where that girls cat wanders off and she finds a "glitched" area)

could players play as "exiles" for a level adjustment. I'd play as a Seraphim or an Ethereal
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel