New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

d20 Pimp my Commoner

Alright, so I'm being given a commoner at level 1 as a starting class. It can be whatever race I want within reason as well as prestige/multiclass so long as I as the first level is commoner. So I was wondering if there were any powerful builds you can make with a commoner. I know they get Survivor at level 2 with their prestige class but I wanted to know if that was the most viable path and what I could go on from there. I recall seeing some pretty interesting builds in the past but I cannot locate them anymore. Hoping someone here can help with this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pimp my Commoner

Chicken Infested feat,
    this handbook.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Let me put it this way. You basically have one major decision to make: Will you take Chicken Infested or not.

If yes, then you should try and build around your limitless supply of chickens (Consumptive Field Cleric, Destructive Retribution Warlock, Infinite Blood in the Water Warblade).

If not, then the commoner is basically a dead level, and you can build whatever else you want on top of it.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, commoners are the weakest class in the game, unless you're using chicken-infested, but here's a trick that can be used if you're going human, elf or half-elf. With magical training + Precocious apprentice (animate dead) + arcane mastery, you can animate zombies or skeletons at first level. You now have a small undead army, as well as the ability to cast some spells.

Also, if you can be any race you want, take something with innate casting ability or other strong features.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Dire Stirge,

Now I'm picturing the Crazy Cat Lady, but with zombie chickens instead of cats... Very creepy concept...

Reshy,

I'd check with the DM to see if you can take a level in Racial HD instead of commoner. Far more options, especially if you go with something that's an outsider.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    If not, then the commoner is basically a dead level, and you can build whatever else you want on top of it.
    Commoner is not a dead level, its the Fastest way into Savage Species' Survivor class.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There is of course the optithorp if you want to take from that.

A dragonwrought white dragonspawn abomination desert uwe magic blooded kobold is a race well within reason right?

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlith View Post
    Chicken Infested feat...
    it is actually a flaw, don't ask me why. It is also dragmag material. (330 iirc)
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlawbliss View Post
    it is actually a flaw, don't ask me why. It is also dragmag material. (330 iirc)
    Its a flaw that is so awesome it doubles as one of the most powerful feats in the game
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Get a Glove of Storing and be a chicken-infested bloodstorm blade.
    I have a bad habit of writing O-Chul as O'Chul, like he's some kind of blue-bearded Scots-Irish crusader. I habitually pronounce "Mystic Theurge" as "Mystic The Urge".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your DM is letting you play the most powerful class ever conceived of? What does the rest of the party look like?

Survivor is the PrC that takes best advantage of what a level 1 commoner gives you. You might want to go halfling and start raising dinosaurs (a la hubs the commoner). Handle Animal is one of the best class skills a commoner gets.

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

Wasn't there some shenanigans involving Basketweaving somewhere? There's this one but it's mostly (again) about chicken infestation. Which, BTW, comes from an april's fool issue. It's like playing unglued/unhinged cards in a regular MTG deck...
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The thing with 3.5 is, even if you're forced into playing the weakest class one can think off, a couple of skills are strong enough to break the game all by themself. (diplomacy gives you an army, UMD gives you casting, handle animal gives you dinosaurs...)
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrowka74 View Post
    Wasn't there some shenanigans involving Basketweaving somewhere? There's this one but it's mostly (again) about chicken infestation. Which, BTW, comes from an april's fool issue. It's like playing unglued/unhinged cards in a regular MTG deck...
    basketweaving is a time sink, not actually the enabler of Burning Rage lad. you need to be a natively Unaging race to take advantage of it. You weave baskets to the end of time, at which point you get up, pick up your Wicker Halberd, and instagib for 1d2+Infinite damage.

Drow avatar @ myself