New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Post Seeking advice: Barbarian "Tank" Build

I'm currently working on a barbarian build to test out in a currently low magic Pathfinder campaign. All Archetypes and 2 Basic Traits (Combat, Social, Magic, Faith, Regional/Racial) are available. Currently, no magic items can be used.

What the build is focused on initially is physical resilience. I.E. Feats such as Endurance/Diehard and the "Invulnerable Rager" Barbarian archetype. Not meant to block hits, but soak them up with a ludicrous amount of HP. During later levels, when "Come and get me" is available, the build will focus on attacks of opportunity and luring opponents into range

What I have So Far:

Race: Half Orc

Alternative Racial Trait: Shaman's Apprentice (Trade +2 to Intimidate for Endurance bonus feat)

Class: Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager Archetype)

Traits: [Combat] Berserker of the Society (+3 Rage Rounds), [Faith] Unnatural Presence (Can demoralize animals and vermin)

Stat Priority

Con < Str = Dex < Wis < Cha < Int

Feats

1st level, Diehard

3rd, Raging Vitality

5th, Power Attack

7th, Deathless Initiate

9th, Combat Reflexes

11th, Iron Will

13th, Raging Brutality

15th, Heroic Will

17th,

19th,

Rage Powers

2nd Roused Anger

4th Renewed Vigor

6th Boastful Taunt

8th Regenerative Vigor

10th Unexpected Strike

12th Come and Get me

14th

16th

18th

Any advice, change ups, item suggestions, or "Why did you do that?" 's

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Seeking advice: Barbarian "Tank" Build

Quote Originally Posted by Saironthis View Post
    Con < Str = Dex < Wis < Cha < Int

Any advice, change ups, item suggestions, or "Why did you do that?" 's
    Yeah.
    Why is INT your main stat? And why are you dumping CON?

Ferocious Tenacity looks like it would be more useful than Diehard to me.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

biggrin Re: Seeking advice: Barbarian "Tank" Build

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Yeah.
    Why is INT your main stat? And why are you dumping CON?

Ferocious Tenacity looks like it would be more useful than Diehard to me.
    To answer question first, I come from a land of mirrors or some such. Either that, or I got my inequalities wrong

Con > Str = Dex > Wis > Cha > Int is what it SHOULD be..lol

To answer question the second, considering that this build is all about Rage rounds and their various uses (Rather than Ragecycling), Ferocious Tenacity would seem a LOT more useful than Endurance -> Diehard -> Deathless initiate. Why risk dying when I can simply spend a few rounds to stay up and healthy? Also, I get my intimidate bonus (or other alternate racial trait) and a feat back .

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

1) No reckless abandon rage power?

2) No Greater Beast Totem?

3) Renewed Vigor as an free Potion with the same action economy? Wouldn't advise that.

4) Have you read up on Superstition, Witch Hunter and Spell Sunder rage powers instead of Iron Will?

5) Unexpected Strike but no way to rage cycle?

Personally I'd , then go for 2) Reckless Abandon 4) Witch Hunter 6) Lesser Beast Totem 8) Beast Totem 10) Beast Totem 12) Come and Get Me and for feats: 1) Raging Vitality 3) Power Attack 5) Extra Rage Power: Reckless Abandon 7) Extra Rage Power: Knockback (for denying full attacks) 9)Extra Rage Power: Damage Reduction 11) Combat Reflexes

My own Barbarian with that read like this (test with as terrible mental stats as possible)
    Orc Barbarian Str 19 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 5 Wis 8 Cha 5 (25 point buy)
    1) Power Attack 3) Weapon Focus (Falchion) 5) Extra Rage Power: Knockback 7) Quick Draw (for throwing weapons) 9) Improved Critical (Falchion) 11) Combat Reflexes
    2) Lesser Beast Totem 4) Strength Surge 6) Reckless Abandon 8) Beast Totem 10) Greater Beast Totem 12) Come and Get Me

I would advise for your Half Orc Barbarian: Str > Dex >= Con > Wis > Int > Cha (at least try and get a bonus on Wis)
    1) Raging Vitality 3) Power Attack 5) Extra Rage Power Knockback 7) Weapon Focus 9) Improved Critical 11) Combat Reflexes
    2) Lesser Beast Totem 4) Strength Surge 6) Reckless Abandon 8) Beast Totem 10) Greater Beast Totem 12) Come and Get Me

If you find that until 5th level your will save has been targetted more often and you do not get many buffs, consider Superstition.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

If you want to tank in PF, then the feat Snake Style might be worth a look, especially if you can also get a trait to get Sense Motive as a class skill. Very nice if you have decent Wisdom and two feats to spare.

Also, as an invulnerable rager, see if you can get your casters to buff you with Ablative Barrier at the beginning of the day.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    1) No reckless abandon rage power?

2) No Greater Beast Totem?

3) Renewed Vigor as an free Potion with the same action economy? Wouldn't advise that.

4) Have you read up on Superstition, Witch Hunter and Spell Sunder rage powers instead of Iron Will?

5) Unexpected Strike but no way to rage cycle?

Personally I'd , then go for 2) Reckless Abandon 4) Witch Hunter 6) Lesser Beast Totem 8) Beast Totem 10) Beast Totem 12) Come and Get Me and for feats: 1) Raging Vitality 3) Power Attack 5) Extra Rage Power: Reckless Abandon 7) Extra Rage Power: Knockback (for denying full attacks) 9)Extra Rage Power: Damage Reduction 11) Combat Reflexes

My own Barbarian with that read like this (test with as terrible mental stats as possible)
    Orc Barbarian Str 19 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 5 Wis 8 Cha 5 (25 point buy)
    1) Power Attack 3) Weapon Focus (Falchion) 5) Extra Rage Power: Knockback 7) Quick Draw (for throwing weapons) 9) Improved Critical (Falchion) 11) Combat Reflexes

I would advise for your Half Orc Barbarian: Str > Dex >= Con > Wis > Int > Cha (at least try and get a bonus on Wis)
    1) Raging Vitality 3) Power Attack 5) Extra Rage Power Knockback 7) Weapon Focus 9) Improved Critical 11) Combat Reflexes

If you find that until 5th level your will save has been targetted more often and you do not get many buffs, consider Superstition.

1+2) I mainly focused the initial build around a misguided survivability instinct rather than what to do while surviving. I should probably change to those rage powers until Come and Get me becomes available and even after because not everything will lumber up to you after you taunt them.

3)Upon reading up on those powers better, I have to agree with you. The healing isn't 1/rage like I initially thought, but rather 1/day. Absolutely rubbish to drop a rage power on.

4) Oh yes, and if we were playing a magic based campaign, I'd be focusing on them a lot more. (I'm loosely working out a Anti-spellcaster dwarf build) As is, even Iron Will nets a "reconsider" from me.

5) This...I don't remember why I did this. Since this build was built on Rage Rounds as "Ammo", Ragecylcing powers are indeed counter-intuitive.

I am definitely going to keep that build in mind! Thanks for your help!

Good Stuff, Keep it coming!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    If you want to tank in PF, then the feat Snake Style might be worth a look, especially if you can also get a trait to get Sense Motive as a class skill. Very nice if you have decent Wisdom and two feats to spare.

Also, as an invulnerable rager, see if you can get your casters to buff you with Ablative Barrier at the beginning of the day.
    Can...Can I use this "Snake Style" while raging if I stick to unarmed strikes as a weapon? *Jawdrop*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I were you I'd prioritize Strength as much as Con. You'll find you'll tank a lot more of the hits after you one-shot someone

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Saironthis View Post
    Can...Can I use this "Snake Style" while raging if I stick to unarmed strikes as a weapon? *Jawdrop*
    You don't need to actually *use* unarmed strikes to benefit the feat. IUS (Improved Unarmed Strike) is just a prerequisite.

If you're already taking IUS, then you could also look into Deflect Arrows. You're most likely using a 2-hander, so it might not be the best idea, but it could be worth a look.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-04-14 at 12:56 PM.