New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Campaign help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Question Campaign help

So I've had this idea for a cool campaign that will use every book just to give me and the players some freedom and so that we don't just get bored using the same classes across 3 campaigns.

Background Info
    • I want to be able to change this campaign based on how the players react
    • It heavily focuses on dragons
    • The players start out at level 3
    • I am a new DM but i have had decent experiance playing and i know the rules even better than my current DM

My idea is to have the players start out helping the BBEG by having them rescue her (yes the BBEG is a girl) dad from a dragon and some kobolds. Then I want to slowly hint to them that the girl that they re going to be repeatedly saving is actually running away from them and is becoming a necromancer (she is going to end up as a half dragon avariel dread necromancer). i want hear your opinions and suggestions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Campaign help

Meh.

Seems okay. Not really grabbing me. Make sure it's about the PCs and not a Gary/Mary Sue NPC.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rather than thinking in terms of "she will become this", think in terms of "she wants to become this", and focus on how she's going about those goals. That way the players are free to disrupt her plans without derailing your campaign. It also lends itself toward thinking her motivations, which will inform how she interacts with the PCs (and in line with the previous comment, how she interacts with the PCs is the most important thing about her).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ill try i'm planning on letting how the party act for the first session set the mood for the rest of the campaign. But knowing my gaming group they'll end up evil again so i plan on making them the BBEGs and sending them as members of an organization that will help them and the necromancer along as a story point.
    Basically I'm planning to run a campaign where the dm plays the party and the characters play the bad guys.however if they do however go good Im planning on having a awesome level 10 end fight that will involve a dracolich (scaled to level) and about 200 zombies attacking the main city in the world.
    Last edited by SylvaTerran; 2014-04-04 at 11:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So long as you recognize that the "party" is 1. less important than the PCs, and 2. probably going to fail and die, that can work.

Some generic advice that I've found useful is to avoid planning stuff too far in advance. A general idea of what might happen is good. A detailed plan for whatever that is will probably end up getting wasted.

EDIT: Do think about how the organization will approach (if they go evil, or maybe even if they don't) and try to entice them into joining; if you don't handle this well, it can feel very much like rail-roading, which you want to avoid (and having a plan for if they don't bite the bait never hurts).
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-04-04 at 11:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thanks for the advice also any tips on what to limit the pcs to i already have undead and aquatic races ruled out and the ToB and ToM plus the magic of incarnum book is also ruled out (they just confuse me too much)