New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wand combos

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Wand combos

I'll be taking double wand wielder in a level and I'm trying to put together some fun combos to use together.

I already have a rotation of buffs picked out for my party that I'll be using while blasting but are there any good 1-2 combinations to use in combat.

Bonus points if the cheaper wand can be used in the offhand and come second in the order since it'll be eating up 2 charges.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Wand combos

Not directly on topic, but on a related note, have you considered using a Rod of Many Wands?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

• [empowered] ray of enfeeblement + web. On the same foe to make him take longer to get out, but also great on different foes for mass crowd control.
    • mass snake's swiftness + Bigby's slapping hand . Some of the time you instantly drop a surrounded foe before he can retaliate. Still grants some extra attacks the rest of the time. In general I think mass snake's swiftness is underrated. Haste seems better because allies get an extra attack round after round... but only on full attacks... after your turn. They might only get 1 or 2 extra attacks, sometimes none. And still living foes might get to act in the meantime. Mass snake's swiftness gives an attack to everyone right now, possibly killing something before it can act. I do think haste is really good, but so is mass snake's swiftness.
    • Summon swarm + summon swarm. 4 low DC saves vs. losing his standard action so he's bound to fail 1 at the cost of your turn, plus around 15+ damage over time. I'd do bat once for the bleed then spider every time after that unless you switch to a new target. Damage over time also works well with locking down foes. I'd take the 2 round duration and not bother concentrating. Be sure to hit a back liner or a foe that doesn't like to leave melee or it could go after an ally on the 2nd round.
    • Empowered magic missile + [empowered] magic missile. Expensive but reliable. That hard to reach foe in the back with an annoying special ability just plain dies because heavy melee he isn't. Not so hot of a tactic against brutes though. Depends what your DM likes to use. Could go well switching back and forth between this and ray of enfeeblement for the brutes.
    • See invisibility + glitterdust. More of a very high level backup tactic than a main tactic. You'll want quick draw so you don't have to decide which wands to wield until after the fight begins. Or one of the tricks to carry many wands.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-05 at 12:18 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I asked Tippy nearly a year ago about super wands that he as a 13th monk ( this was TO ) used to attack a unprepared same level sorceror ( read no shield/anti-magic missile ) This was in a 'vs Pickford' thread.

CL 1 Wand of Arcane Thesis, Invisible (-1), Sanctum (-2), Easy Meta: Fell Drain, Fell Drain (+0), Easy Meta: Twin Spell, Twinned (+2), Easy Meta: Repeat Spell, Repeated (+1), Forceful (+0), Magic Missile.

CL 1 Wand of Arcane Thesis, Invisible (-1), Sanctum (-2), Cooperative Spell (-1), Easy Meta: Fell Drain, Fell Drain (+0), Easy Meta: Twin Spell, Twinned (+2), Easy Meta: Quicken Spell, Quickened (+2), Forceful (+0), Magic Missile.

Using your Swift and Standard actions in conjunction with the Magic Device Attunement feat on one of the wands (quicken probably) and blast away

The Quicken wand deals two negative levels (no save, no attack roll, 110 ft. range) and adds a save or be knocked prone and stunned effect. The Repeat Wand does the same thing except it does it again for free on the next round.

If you don't have shield, immunity to negative levels, or a Brooch of Shielding then you are pretty much thoroughly screwed. Each wand is only 750 GP.

Creator voluntarily lowers their CL to 1 (minimum to cast MM), spell slot taken up is first level (metamagic all cancels out), no material components or XP is added.

So 750 GP per wand.
    I want eternal wands of these.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2014-04-05 at 01:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5