New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Trailer for "Lucy"

So Youtube threw the trailer for the new Scarlett Johansson film in my face, and I felt like discussing it.

It seems to be a cross between Ultraviolet, Limitless, and I dunno...Crank? Salt? I didn't see that one. In it, Scarlett Johansson is used against her will as a drug mule for something super special, which starts leaking and giving her super powers, and she has to figure out what happened before her brain explodes or something. It seemed very..."been done" to me.

side note: it always bugs me when films use the "100 percent of your brain" cliche. Sometimes people's brains do actually do that. You know what they call it? a seizure.

GraveGobbler Avatar still made by Ceika!

I'm revamping my blog. slightly new look, very new name, hopefully some new content soon.
    It's called Diceroller Flicks Goblin on The Grid and it's centered around RPG themed films and other stuff I want to put up.
    My Latest post? My favorite source of plot hooks for D&D
    http://goblinonthegrid.wordpress.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Trailer for "Lucy"

Quote Originally Posted by Mastergilgamesh View Post
    side note: it always bugs me when films use the "100 percent of your brain" cliche. Sometimes people's brains do actually do that. You know what they call it? a seizure.
    The "10 percent" part that always precedes it is just as bad, if not worse. A particular given function might use 10% or less of your brain, but I doubt that anyone could function using only 10% of their brain.

...A cruel thought: ask the next person to make that claim which 90% of his brain he'd like cut out...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

I loudly booed the 10% line in theater. Nobody else complained about me. And then they kept using it, GAH!. I very nearly walked out of Cap'n America (I'm glad I didn't), the trailer was just unbearable.
    Now with half the calories!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Yes, that 10 per cent nonsense made me lose interest.

Luc Besson is kind of hit-and-miss as a director anyway.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-04-05 at 06:07 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

More like "hitman and miss," am I right, guys?

'Cause he made that one movie about a hit man.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, there are some elements of his work that I like.

Leelo Dallas Multipass!
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I actually really like some of his earlier films; The Professional is an absolute gem, with career-high work from everyone except Oldman, who is basically unimpeachable in everything, but still sells his villain like no-one else could. Not to be outdone, even by himself, Oldman rocks the most absurd hairpiece in the history of cinema as he unleashes a torrent of southern-twanged misanthropy to center The Fifth Element, which stands out as a historic landmark of fun movies. There was a terrible middle period, but I honestly enjoyed his most recent film before now, especially with all the sly career nods he gave de Niro.

Still, though, I stand by "hitman or miss" as a phenomenal pun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Looks like they need Tetsuo to stop her. I'm calling it: Pyschic showdown between her and the antagonist (probably the mafia boss or something) who injects himself just before she gets there. She'll win, after getting thrown around and her hair mussed, because he overdoses and self-destructs.

As a French director, Luc Besson's movies all have that element of stupid in them, even the gems that I adore such as The Professional. A lot of (I hesitate to say "almost all", but that's what I really mean if you want my honest opinion) non-Hollywood movies have them. If you thought "Hollywood-stupid" is a thing, then foreign movies are even worse. You can see it best in Bollywood or HK movies. Directing just seems to be a different culture; they throw logic to the wind in favor of flair. So really, this "10% of your brain" thing is Hollywood-stupid. That's actually a lot better than "foreign stupid". A huge step up for Besson.

I know there are non-Americans on this forum. I'd actually like you to tell me straight if you vehemently disagree with me. Because that has been my honest experience (regarding movie medium only, not TV shows or books). In terms of my storytelling hobby, I think 1 of the best things that ever happened to me is that I grew up in America.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I am an American, but I think nationalizing "levels" of stupid rather than "kinds" of stupid is silly. Yeah, the 10% of your brain thing stopped being cool in America a while ago, it's not like Hollywood is any more grounded in reality, it's just that a different set of gibberish is the fad here, now, and a different set of gibberish that was once or will someday be the fad here is the fad in any given other country. I guess what I mean is that it's not a matter of "worse," it's a matter of different.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    A lot of (I hesitate to say "almost all", but that's what I really mean if you want my honest opinion) non-Hollywood movies have them. If you thought "Hollywood-stupid" is a thing, then foreign movies are even worse. You can see it best in Bollywood or HK movies. Directing just seems to be a different culture; they throw logic to the wind in favor of flair. So really, this "10% of your brain" thing is Hollywood-stupid. That's actually a lot better than "foreign stupid". A huge step up for Besson.

I know there are non-Americans on this forum. I'd actually like you to tell me straight if you vehemently disagree with me. Because that has been my honest experience (regarding movie medium only, not TV shows or books).
    Well, sort of.

There's no accounting for taste, and taste is learned. It depends on your exposure more than anything. Also, the medium is at least part of the message. If watching a foreign (for you) film takes extra effort, such as struggling with subtitles (which you're not used to) or looking for a venue because it's a limited release... then this will certainly affect the way you're perceiving the film. And that's before we even get to hype, critics, other people's opinions etc.

So, I can understand where you're coming from. That said:

1) It's a gross oversimplification to categorize films as "Hollywood/non-Hollywood". Hollywood is frightfully diverse. So is everybody else. You're talking about the rest of the planet here, it's a pretty big place.

2) It's plain wrong to categorize films as "Hollywood/non-American". There is, in fact, film-making in America outside Hollywood. And there are quite a few Hollywood productions by foreign creators (which may or may not account for something, it depends and it's complicated).

3) I can't help but wonder what sort of foreign films you've seen and reached these conclusions. Does Rashomon "throw logic to the wind in favor of flair"? And do you remember The Matrix Trilogy?
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2014-04-06 at 08:33 AM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like they need Tetsuo to stop her. I'm calling it: Pyschic showdown between her and the antagonist (probably the mafia boss or something) who injects himself just before she gets there. She'll win, after getting thrown around and her hair mussed, because he overdoses and self-destructs.

As a French director, Luc Besson's movies all have that element of stupid in them, even the gems that I adore such as The Professional. A lot of (I hesitate to say "almost all", but that's what I really mean if you want my honest opinion) non-Hollywood movies have them. If you thought "Hollywood-stupid" is a thing, then foreign movies are even worse. You can see it best in Bollywood or HK movies. Directing just seems to be a different culture; they throw logic to the wind in favor of flair. So really, this "10% of your brain" thing is Hollywood-stupid. That's actually a lot better than "foreign stupid". A huge step up for Besson.

I know there are non-Americans on this forum. I'd actually like you to tell me straight if you vehemently disagree with me. Because that has been my honest experience (regarding movie medium only, not TV shows or books). In terms of my storytelling hobby, I think 1 of the best things that ever happened to me is that I grew up in America.
    My experience with movies from various countries is that Hollywood stupidity is pretty unique. Bollywood does everything as over the top as the can with whatever budget they can, in a wtflolmusical way. Hong Kong cinema goes for hotblooded at every turn. British movies are more grounded, while French might approach Hollywood stuff at times. Dutch movies are similar to the British groundedness, but generally have lower budgets, less gun action (and British stuff has less than US movies) and more everday fun stuff. This is all excluding independant movies though, as I have seen those from more than just that handful of countries.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it depends. sure when it comes to action Hollywood takes the cake when it comes to quality: budget and special effects are usually what make those so great. when it comes to thrillers, drama or something not needing huge budgets it all comes down to writing and in that situation I prefer British and Dutch films. They are a bit grittier and more realistic (or at least recognisable). At the very least they are not over the top at any rate..

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    My experience with movies from various countries is that Hollywood stupidity is pretty unique. Bollywood does everything as over the top as the can with whatever budget they can, in a wtflolmusical way. Hong Kong cinema goes for hotblooded at every turn. British movies are more grounded, while French might approach Hollywood stuff at times. Dutch movies are similar to the British groundedness, but generally have lower budgets, less gun action (and British stuff has less than US movies) and more everday fun stuff. This is all excluding independant movies though, as I have seen those from more than just that handful of countries.
    Well, I like Zwartboek and any drama with Barry (B)Atsma can entertain me for an evening (not even watching it while working/procrastinating on my laptop). and I'd like to argue that both British and Dutch police series trump American ones in quality and storytelling. That said, America does lawyers on screen best (only exception being Kingdom on account of Stephen Fry).

Tl;dr: MLai: I disagree concerning certain genres
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it depends. sure when it comes to action Hollywood takes the cake when it comes to quality: budget and special effects are usually what make those so great. when it comes to thrillers, drama or something not needing huge budgets it all comes down to writing and in that situation I prefer British and Dutch films. They are a bit grittier and more realistic (or at least recognisable). At the very least they are not over the top at any rate..

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Well, I like Zwartboek and any drama with Barry (B)Atsma can entertain me for an evening (not even watching it while working/procrastinating on my laptop). and I'd like to argue that both British and Dutch police series trump American ones in quality and storytelling. That said, America does lawyers on screen best (only exception being Kingdom on account of Stephen Fry).

Tl;dr: MLai: I disagree concerning certain genres

Edit: forgot to actually comment on the actual topic: while I know it's not true (but then again, since when do magic and dragons exist), I like the trope. Limitless did well enough imo and I found the trailer promising moments of fun and entertainment. However, I think the trailer suffers from the latest movie marketing fad: showing the best bits in hopes to draw lots of visitors in before internet piracy ruins the profits (which is the only reason I can imagine why people do this when making trailers).
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    I loudly booed the 10% line in theater. Nobody else complained about me. And then they kept using it, GAH!. I very nearly walked out of Cap'n America (I'm glad I didn't), the trailer was just unbearable.
    So you nearly walked out of a movie with terrible nonscience because of a trailer with equally terrible nonscience?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.