New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Best psionic gish?

Trying to make a character for a game tomorrow and I've been wanting to break into psionics for a while now. It's an evil campaign so I really want a character who can smash faces and is self-reliant. I've been reading into Psychic Warrior, Wilder, and Ardent, and they all seem to be lacking in one way or another. I don't think full bab is an option for a psionic gish, and I believe two out of the three lack martial weapon proficiencies. So unless there is a better base class option I'm missing, I'll have to give a little for some psionic abilities. I come to you once again, oh playground, which class is best set up for what I want to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Best psionic gish?

There is also the Ranger/Psion/Slayer to consider.

But more generally, what are you hoping to accomplish, and what sources are allowed?

Also, have you looked at the King of Smack?
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    There is also the Ranger/Psion/Slayer to consider.

But more generally, what are you hoping to accomplish, and what sources are allowed?

Also, have you looked at the King of Smack?
    I'll look that up, but as in the op, I want a melee-based character that really hits hard, can self buff, and is somewhat self-reliant, I don't want to depend on my group, should it come to pc vs pc action ( a severely common occurrence at our table) or if we get split up/captured/they die. King of smack is cool, but I was hoping to be swinging a big two hander of some sort around.

Oh, starting at level eight, and beginning with 30,000gp. All books open, but please don't soak me in the fondue pot, the other players aren't too into optimization!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Take a good look at Ardent. There are 2 ACF's that really help the class. Dominant Ideal and Substitute Powers! Sub Powers lets you basically tailor mantles to your liking and there are some crazy tricks with Dominant Ideal that can break the action economy. Search out the Ardent Handbook for explanation of the really cool tricks.

I ran an Ardent optimizing natural attacks like Bite of the Wolf, Claws of the Beast, Dragon's Tail and Form of Doom... Time Hop is a super awesome power for swift teleport mobility. Basically Night Crawler crossed with Wolverine..

Hustle with Dominant Ideal ACF...

Share Pain with your PsiCrystal...

BAB isn't the best but you can fix it with the right Mantles and Substitue Power.

I like them better as a gish then Psychic Warrior because you have a ton more power points with the same BAB.

IMHO
    Blood~
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2014-04-05 at 11:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

One, Go to my sig, get the EVD, get the psionomicon.

I actually spent some time working on psionic builds before work and other requests took precedent. I actually was looking at a Mystic Ranger Psionic combos. Maybe that and psychic warrior?