Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [IC] Incarnum Quest

You're at a tavern.

It's not terribly crowded. A drunken gnome is passed out near the bar. There's a hooded man sitting quietly by himself in a shadowy corner of the room. A couple of locals are gossiping: they say some shady strangers have recently arrived in town, there are complaints of noxious smells coming from the sewers, the Incarnates' Guild to the south has been having some sort of trouble, the Thieves' Guild is rumored to be opening up a branch here, and Old Man Dizzy, who turned 85 last September, has just gotten engaged.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-04-09 at 12:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Characters I'm playing
    Show

Spoiler: Campaigns I'm running
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [IC] Incarnum Quest

I greet the hooded man. My literally cloistered upbringing gives me limited practice telling people want to be left alone.

Hello, sir. How do you do today??
    "But it was so artistically done,"
    -Syndic Mitth'raw'nuruodo, last words.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The hooded man responds with a quiet snorting noise.

You sense that there's something odd about the way he's hunched over, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have max ranks in Sense Motive, so you're actually not too bad at reading people.
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Excuse me, coming through. The boxes sure are cumbersome. What did the chef or tavern master order? He sets down some near the kitchen and the rest down the cellar, gasping "Preliminary Orders" to the manager of the cellar. Huh? He tries to find himself in the midst of the noise as the gossips are flooding the dining area. He asks one man as he resume manning the counter. Excuse me, sir. What is situation at hand? And what would you like to have today?

Spoiler: Gather Information
    Show

Gather Information - (1d20-1)[4]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-08 at 08:22 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The situation at hand? What the hell're ye talkin' about? I've been waitin' five minutes fer my pint is the situation at hand."

Ted is clearly not very good at gathering information. Luckily, the previously mentioned gossip doesn't require a gather information check, so he gets that much at least.
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ted is extremely livid. Darn, hooligans. Darn, this tavern. They need some good manners. Okay, two can play at that game at being ruffians. Ted's face is drained of all the civility that been fed into his brain, leaving an expression worthy of a thug.

Five minutes ain't no longer wait. Yer want some pint? Well, yer pint just came in and yer hollering like a sissy.

Ted sluices a mug to that abrupt man, closing into the man with flaming eyes that had seen many moons.

Fill yer bucket. But lemme warn yer, we have da rules of conduct. Yer know who the heck dis master of dis place is, yer sit tight.

Spoiler: Intimidate (if needed)
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20-1)[14]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-08 at 09:28 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

He takes the drink and starts glug-glugging, unfazed.
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fallerin regarded the suddenly rowdy table with an odd mixture of disdain and contentedness. Ah, how people will be people! It irked him that people were so quick to be confrontational, yet he found their lack of any sense of etiquette and obtuse overuse of pointless slang somewhat charming.

After momentarily enjoying the spectacle, Fallerin grabbed a seat at an empty table, sure to make himself look as regal as he could in an attempt to emulate the elves he so admired, but his self-consciousness caused him to look merely dweebish.

Failing to notice this, he sat and allowed himself to drift into deep thought about some trivial topic, occasionally scanning the bar absently for overt movements in case he needed to come back to reality any time soon.
    All that matters is victory. Effort, morality, skill? These things are important as a means to an end, but whoever wins, wins. It's that simple.

Yo dawg, I heard you like memes, so I put a meme in your meme so you can read memes while reading a meme.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Saviras steps out of the kitchen, listening to the gossip floating through the tavern even as she checks the boxes, making sure everything is there - nodding to herself, she takes a moment to take the boxes into the kitchen before stepping back out - it's slow enough at the moment that she doesn't have to stay back there after all. She takes a seat at the bar, a few stools away from the gruff man that Ted just served, and smiles at the bartender as she signals for a pint herself and says, "You should just about be square with Bertram by now, shouldn't you?"
    Currently GMing: Pokemon - Shadows Unbound

Blake Denos Poketar by Ceika!

The Claymore of Enlightenment.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGirl

Ooh, ruffians, how quaint!! How about I get us both a root beer and you tell me about it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Going back to his normal routine and normal behaviour, Ted grumbles as he shakes another concoction before producing another one pint and two root beers.

Sliding one to Saviras, he starts. Hey, not my problem if so many customers demand that popular desert rose wine. And that old man has no one experience enough for the bartender slot. Besides, if I had not given some scruff, I would stayed here a bit longer.

Glancing at Azanti, he motions for her to take the root beer.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-09 at 04:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

Azanti takes the root beers. "Thank you, I'm Azanti, do you know anything about that man?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ted cleans the mugs that came in after washing with a rag.

Spoiler: Knowledge Check
    Show

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+2)[8]

Untrained so only can go up to DC 10

"Hmm, not that I know of. Have you not heard the stuff floating around? Shady guys, bad sewers, trouble down South and thieves coming here. That's today's news."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-12 at 05:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fallerin, a bit disappointed not to have received any impressed looks from onlookers, gets up again, walking over to where Saviras, Azanti, and Ted are talking.

"Hey, Azanti," Fallerin says simply, sitting next to her at the bar. "I hope you don't mind if I make myself comfortable. I see you've been adjusting well to life here?"
    All that matters is victory. Effort, morality, skill? These things are important as a means to an end, but whoever wins, wins. It's that simple.

Yo dawg, I heard you like memes, so I put a meme in your meme so you can read memes while reading a meme.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGirl

I suppose. It sure is different than the convent, but I enjoy being out, feeling like I do things.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The guy Ted spoke to before slams down his empty cup and wipes his mouth. "Keep 'em coming, bartender," he says. "Tomorrow morning I'm gonna hafta tell my boss I ain't found a single volunteer to save the world, an' I'm not nearly drunk enough fer it yet. Breakin' the news, I mean, not savin' the world. Don't need to be drunk fer savin' the world...though if the world is endin' I ain't gonna be sober when it happens, not if I can help it, ha..."
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-04-20 at 12:39 AM.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fallerin paused, blinking a couple of times as his response to Azanti was interrupted, and he turned to the loud man, a bit of indignity showing in his face. "I beg your pardon? I would think I'd be aware if the world were in any imminent danger of ending. Care to enlighten me as to what you're talking about?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I figured that what with the above-average Int, below-average Cha, and lack of social skill investment, Fallerin would have issues talking to drunk bar-goers in a way they'd be likely to understand. Feel free to have him laugh at the fancy-pants language.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Tacking the paper of the orders on the edge of his side of the counter, he hollers out to the barmaid to get the meals after one of the chefs slides the plate behind him. Ted raises a hand to Fallerin. He secretly fills the mug with water instead of ale. Here ya go, darling.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-20 at 12:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thankee," he says, taking a swig of the water.

"Ye might not've heard, but there's strange things happening up north at Mt. Demonfell. Waves o' reality-warpin' dark energy and the like, y'know. Weird hoobity-joobity stuff. Evil, the way the incarnates call it. Why do incarnates call everything evil, anyway? It's always good this, evil that, blah blah blah. I knew this incarnate once, he used to live down the street, told me I was all mixed up, that it's all 'bout the enner-kick versus the axe-o-matic, whatever that means. I told 'im if I had an axe and someone were kickin' me, I'd chop off 'is legs, wham, be done with it. Don't care what kinda energy's in yer kick, y'ain't kickin' anyone without no legs. But he just looked at me funny. Ha!"

He pauses and takes another swig.

"What was I saying? Oh, right, end o' the world. Well apparently that dark energy, that's spreading, see? Can't say I understand all the details m'self, but the boss said it'd corrupt the land, or some such. Or maybe summon a bunch of evil demons everywhere, or maybe just explode? Gah, this ale ain't strong enough, I remember better when I'm drunker. It'll be bad, is the point. Big bad. A pokey-lips bad, boss says. Ye can already see them sinkholes poppin' up everywhere, like the one down at the guild. That's where m'boss is from. The guild, not the sinkhole. Sent me to find volunteers to mount an expe... expeditto...expedaisy...exped...a quest. But nooo, turns out everyone in this damn town is afraid of little things like 'danger' and 'monsters' and 'certain death'. Pssh! More danger, more treasure, that's what I always say, that is."
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Saviras listens quietly to the man's story before smiling, and saying, "Well... so you're looking for volunteers to save the world. Sounds fun... I might be interested in taking you up on the offer... it would make for a wonderful story."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fallerin grins at Saviras. "That it does sound like, my friend! Though..." Fallerin looked at his hand for a moment. "My own abilities draw from the energy of the worldsoul... I figure I'd have noticed such a large despair in the incarnum energies. Maybe I'm just not yet well enough trained..." He shakes his head, then grins again, briefly glancing at his wiser friend Azanti in hopes that she will approve of his interest in this mission before staring intently at the rowdy drunk man again.

"You seem to lack understanding of basic grammar, drunken sage, but it doesn't matter. Who is this boss of yours? I'd like to learn more about this from him. I highly doubt anything so dangerous exists near here, but if it does, I'd like to know as much as I can about it."
    Last edited by Vrock_Summoner; 2014-04-20 at 04:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man's face brightens.

"Y'all are really up for it? Brilliant! Bartender, bring my new buddies here a round on me. We might save the world yet, eh?"

He strokes his beard.

"My boss, now, that'd be Shaper Sedridor. Big shot in the guild. Seat on the Shapers' Council and everything. He's been real focused on this dark energy thing--I'm sure he'd talk your ear off about it if you wanted. Me, I'm just a lab assistant. Name's Olaf, by the way...didn't catch yours."
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I seconded chef here. He looks at each of customers who joined in the conversation except Saviras, whom he's already acquainted with. When he heard the last line, he rolls his eyes. He wonders if the man they are speaking to is from an incarnate guild, one of the registered guild or from the rumoured thieves guild since he eagers for treasure.

Ted refills from the barrel. Normal for those two (Azanti and Fallerin) but a different flavour from the first mug for the newly proclaimed, Olaf, a very punchy type of mead that when people stuff they will be out, blurting extra flavourful information. Ted, once heard of a couple upstairs after they taken it, confabulated about dirty secrets like no tomorrow.

Nice to meet you, Olaf. Don't call me bartender, Ted is fine. It's my last day after all.

Last day in this brig. Well not really, just full time bartender is not my style. Now begins the real test. Would he reveal his true intent? His mind is waiting in anticipation.

Enjoy your third round!
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-20 at 09:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fallerin casually slid his drink aside, not particularly interested in it.

"Fallerin," Fallerin said simply. "A pleasure."

Spoiler: Joke
    Show
    "Do you like to give warm hugs?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"The name's Saviras," she says, smiling as she takes a sip of her own drink. "So... Seridor, huh? The name rings a bell, but maybe you can tell us a bit more about him, hmm?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if I need any specific check here.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGirl

Azanti's ears perked up. The drunken idiot was clearly more confused than he knew. The nuns explained that "axiomatic" and "good" were the same thing, and anyone who disagreed was too soft. That was one of the reasons she left the convent, lacking the moral certitude a real Skarn should have. And here was a chance to prove she wasn't a weak little girl, there was chaos, or at least evil, afoot!!

"I'll help, too! What are we fighting?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Far as I been told it's more or less yer standard dungeon-crawlin' gig. There's monsters and traps and stuff, like someone were guardin' something down there. All manner of weird plants and min'rals and magic hoobity-joobity things too. And not that a lion can't kill ye any deader than a dragon, but fer what it's worth the energy is s'posed to be weaker when you're farther away from the source, so in theory the sinkholes here are less dangerous than the caves would be at Mt. Demonfell itself. That's what the teams we sent before said. The ones that came back, at least. Well, except fer Gary, all he does since gettin' out is rant about how the ferrets of doom are out to get him, poor guy. And Tim, Tim don't say a word anymore, he just stares. Anyway, there'll be a coach heading back down to the Incarnates' Guild in the morning! Will ye be needin' a lift?"

Olaf quaffs the rest of his drink and hiccups.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-04-20 at 10:17 PM.
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm..." Saviras muses, "I can handle traps and such... but the monsters might be a bit much if I were going on my own... She looks around at the others who were interested, before continuing, "Still, all of us together should be able to handle it, don't you think?"

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGirl

The nuns taught me how to fight as a meditative exercise, but I think I understand the practical applications of the martial arts. So that's two.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Satisfaction wells up on his appearance if just for brevity, dimming to his normal grace he usually displays. I might not be as attuned in my own spiritual energy as Fallerin, is it? But I can do minor applications with it. Knowledgeable to act in the front lines if need. He looks at his hand and concentrates, small incarnum ball manifests on his palm before it closes, diminishing the ball to nothingness.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2014-04-21 at 12:54 AM.