New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How/When do I dip in Cleric

I am currently a Level 2 Half-Orc Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1
    My Build is as such:

STR 18, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 4
    Whirling Frenzy (ACF) with Spirit Lion Pounce.

lvl 1 - Barb 1 - Power Attack
    lvl 2 - Fight 1 - Combat Reflexes

I planned on doing the following from there:
    lvl 3 - Fight 2 - Scorpion's Resolve & Imp Bull Rush
    lvl 4 - Fight 3
    lvl 5 - Fight 4 - Leap Attack
    lvl 6 - Fight 5 - Shock Trooper
    lvl 7 - Fight 6 - Extra Rage

This build gives me the mega-charging string of feats, plus a +6 on will saves from Scorpion's resolve & sticking with Fighter through 6th level. This should help with my weakness to will attacks.

From there i was considering a 1 lvl dip into cleric in order to get the Travel Devotion feat. I want this to help with Shock Trooper for those time's I don't One-shot my target, and need to get the hell out of there before taking a big hit myself. This also can set my character up for a optimized charge for the next round.

The problem is - I have read the cleric portion of PHB 3 times now and i just don't understand it. How do i get the travel devotion feat? If i don't have any interest in actually being a spellcaster - can i drop my spells in exchange for "Extra Turning" and "Travel Devotion" feats? and then peace out of the Cleric class on the following level?

Any help explaining this to a new player such as myself would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

DrowGirl

Default Re: How/When do I dip in Cleric

You need the domain in question to take the devotion feat, as you trade in the domain for the devotion power.
    You can exchange domains for the corresponding devotion feats and nothing else. For example, if you have the travel and law domains by virtue of your cleric level, you could exchange those for travel devotion and law devotion. A Cloistered Cleric would net you knowledge as a 3rd domain, which you could exchange for knowledge devotion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddman80 View Post
    I have read the cleric portion of PHB 3 times now and i just don't understand it. How do i get the travel devotion feat? If i don't have any interest in actually being a spellcaster - can i drop my spells in exchange for "Extra Turning" and "Travel Devotion" feats? and then peace out of the Cleric class on the following level?
    You need to look in Complete Champion (p. 52-53) for the swappe-de-do rules on Domain feats.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    yeah - i read that - but the HOW TO portion is nearly non-existent. I'll check out the Complete Champion pages hymer mentioned... hopefully that explains it better. I guess the root of the problem is i don't really get cleric to begin with.

At Level 1, my understanding is that my dip into cleric would gain me the "Turn Undead" ability (which, due to my CHA, would be 0 times per day), A designated Domain, 1 domain based spell, and 1 spell of my choosing. Both spells can only be used 1 time per day (due to being level 1)

1) Is all this true?

2) If I drop the Travel Domain for the Travel Devotion Feat, I would still need to pick up "Extra Turning" in order to get more than 1 use of the Travel Devotion Feat/day. Correct?

3) Does the Domain based spell also disappear when I drop the domain for the feat, of do I maintain the spell? What happens to the non-domain based spell?

4) Are there any game-play dynamics that would allow me to get something in exchange for these spells?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    You need to look in Complete Champion (p. 52-53) for the swappe-de-do rules on Domain feats.
    from complete champion:
    You can select a domain feat at any level. Once you have chosen one, however, you cannot select another unless the second fits thematically with the first. Furthermore, you can never have more than two domain feats ...
    In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats...In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat.
    Does this mean that upon my character becoming level 8 (Barb1, Fighter6, Cleric1), I can choose 1 domain feat off the bat, then exchange my domain whole and get a second domain feat - giving me Turn Undead & 2 Domain feats at Character level 8?

Since the Travel Domain feat is allowed to be taken multiple times and stacks, can i take the Travel Domain Feat, then Exchange Travel Domain for the Travel Devotion Feat - giving my player 2 uses per day of Swift Action Travel? if later on, i independently pick up "Extra Turning" i would then be able to use Swift Action Travel 6 times/day.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddman80 View Post
    At Level 1, my understanding is that my dip into cleric would gain me the "Turn Undead" ability (which, due to my CHA, would be 0 times per day), A designated Domain, 1 domain based spell, and 1 spell of my choosing. Both spells can only be used 1 time per day (due to being level 1)

1) Is all this true?

2) If I drop the Travel Domain for the Travel Devotion Feat, I would still need to pick up "Extra Turning" in order to get more than 1 use of the Travel Devotion Feat/day. Correct?

3) Does the Domain based spell also disappear when I drop the domain for the feat, of do I maintain the spell? What happens to the non-domain based spell?

4) Are there any game-play dynamics that would allow me to get something in exchange for these spells?
    1: Yes and no. I presume 3,5 here, btw.
    You get two domains (and can trade any number of them to the corresponding Domain feat).
    You get access to the whole Cleric list, so you don't have to pick the same spell every day for your normal spell slot. And with two domains, you get two spells to choose from for your domain slot, so you don't have to pick the same every day. You spend the same hour each day praying, which will get you the spells you want for the day. You then expend them by casting them. This requires at least 11 wisdom (10 + spell level). If you have 12 wisdom, you get a bonus spell every day, which is like your normal, non-domain spell.
    Though you can only gain first level spells to cast, you can still use e.g. wands of cleric spells, which can be a very useful addition.

2: Extra Turning couldn't hurt, but there are other ways. You can up Turn Undead times per day by upping your charisma (cloak of charisma e.g.) or using nightsticks (Libris Mortis IIRC).

3: Getting the feat means giving up all bonuses associated with the domain, yes. See CC p. 53. This has no effect on your non-domain spell.

4: I don't think so, but others might prove me wrong.

Does this mean that upon my character becoming level 8 (Barb1, Fighter6, Cleric1), I can choose 1 domain feat off the bat, then exchange my domain whole and get a second domain feat - giving me Turn Undead & 2 Domain feats at Character level 8?
    Yes. Though you can get any Domain feat by expending feat slots, getting new domains is a lot harder. So I'd hesitate with swapping them out. Some domain powers are really excellent.

Since the Travel Domain feat is allowed to be taken multiple times and stacks, can i take the Travel Domain Feat, then Exchange Travel Domain for the Travel Devotion Feat - giving my player 2 uses per day of Swift Action Travel? if later on, i independently pick up "Extra Turning" i would then be able to use Swift Action Travel 6 times/day.
    You can't get the Travel domain more than once, and as such can't swap it out more than once. So no. Extra Turning (4 turns, 2 uses of Travel Devotion) would be better than taking Travel Devotion more than once (one extra use per time).
    Last edited by hymer; 2014-04-06 at 09:51 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    ...Yes. Though you can get any Domain feat by expending feat slots, getting new domains is a lot harder. So I'd hesitate with swapping them out. Some domain powers are really excellent....
    That's probably true. But my character isn't really interested in becoming a true cleric/magic user. If I/he pulls this Cleric 1 dip stunt (while trying to make it as useful as possible) he'd mostly be doing it out of spite to the group's cloistered cleric. The Cleric in the group is quite the talker, often teases my Half-Orc and generally gets on my character's nerves. I think it would just be funny if in retaliation, he dipped cleric and then taunted the group's cleric in his best half-orc voice "Oooh.. Look at me I am cleric now too!!! I can turn Undead! Ooooh Look at me! I SOOOO special" and whatnot.

The RP would e fun as hell with that one, and the potential benifits to my Barb/Fighter could be NUTS!

But, yeah - not really interested in meditating an hour each morning and casting spells in battle. So given my character i would take the Travel Domain (then for the second one I need to pick between Healing, Trickery, Protection, and Strength or Sun) & then immediately cash them in for their respective feats. It seems like this campaign is going to be undead-heavy, so that's why i threw sun in the mix.