Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default I Hate Sumertime

Far to much daylight. Even worse is daylight savings time, makes it so I have even more sunshine in my day. It makes it impossible for me to tell when it is getting late and anything simple I need to do just doesn't get done. Its Seven right now and it is far to bright. It is supposed to be getting late and it looks like the middle of the day outside. I can't wait until next Winter when things get properly dark again.
    Why? Flying Belgium.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I Hate Sumertime

extreme heat, constant drought, and bunch of other related issues. Yeah summer basically sucks here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

But...It's spring right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worry not, Sumer's time has been done for a long while. Why, nobody's even seen a Sumerian in living memory.

Did I just call you out on spelling? Yes. But only because this thread's sole purpose is complaining about the weather.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had enough of freezing my nostril hairs off, shoveling 3 foot deep snow, and nightfall at 3 in the afternoon. Bring on the summer. Long may it wave. (And I'm a guy who usually likes cooler weather. But this winter -- too much. Too much by far.)
    Great avatar courtesy of Xander Morhaime. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Stats of the Snarl:
    HP: Lots.
    Armor Class: Can't touch this.
    Saving Throws: Yes.
    Attack: Successful - undoes target.
    Challenge Rating: Too high.

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    But...It's spring right now.
    Well its bad enough now, just imagine what it will be like in June.
    Why? Flying Belgium.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't hate summer per se, but it has its irritations. In the last few years, it's tended to be too hot, and I have problems with hayfever. Winter isn't much better, though; it just has its own set of problems. What makes me sad is that spring and autumn, the two seasons I tend to get on best with (particularly autumn, since hayfever isn't such an issue) appear to be getting shorter year on year, while winters are getting colder and summers hotter.

GITP Blood Bowl Cup - Season 4
    Red Sabres
    Season 1 Cup Champions; two-time Cup Semifinalists
    League Wiki

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I feel much the same way.

That is all I have to say.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    It makes it impossible for me to tell when it is getting late and anything simple I need to do just doesn't get done.
    You know, we have these modern devices called "clocks" that are designed to tell us when it's getting late without needing to check the position of the sun in the sky! I know, amazing, I'll be telling you we can ride around in a metal box on wheels at ten times the speed of a running man next...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You know, we have these modern devices called "clocks" that are designed to tell us when it's getting late without needing to check the position of the sun in the sky! I know, amazing, I'll be telling you we can ride around in a metal box on wheels at ten times the speed of a running man next...
    To be fair, I try to get through the day looking at a clock as little as possible. I've been caught by surprise by the clocks going forward/back and its not getting dark or light at the same time. But yeah, if you need to get anything done, you really need a clock.

Red Sabres
    League Wiki

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    What makes me sad is that spring and autumn, the two seasons I tend to get on best with (particularly autumn, since hayfever isn't such an issue) appear to be getting shorter year on year, while winters are getting colder and summers hotter.
    And pretty soon, the Others are going to come storming from the farthest reaches of the Arctic Circle and envelope the Earth in an age of ice.

Edit: Hmmm....Maybe we should build a wall or something?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-04-07 at 07:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Summer's lovely! The only thing that annoys me though is the amount of expensive sun lotion I need to buy each year, as every time I go outside I need to apply a new layer every 1-3 hours. I guess that's why I usually rather boil in my clothes than show skin.

The amount of light is a problem though, but back in Finland I've got some special curtain with a special layer that basically doesn't have any light come through it. It's how I survive the summer, really. Because the night in Finland is either nightless or even the 1-2 hours of darkness you get down south is not that dark at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    What makes me sad is that spring and autumn, the two seasons I tend to get on best with (particularly autumn, since hayfever isn't such an issue) appear to be getting shorter year on year, while winters are getting colder and summers hotter.
    Up here in Scotland it feels like late September to May it's all autumn and spring. Winter in the UK is simply weird and a concept I don't think I'll ever understand.
    Interesting times are occurring.
    Right now.

PS. Can I please marry Belkar?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Up here in Scotland it feels like late September to May it's all autumn and spring. Winter in the UK is simply weird and a concept I don't think I'll ever understand.
    Agreed completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Moose-atar by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Summer is my favorite time of year (provided we have a normal rain filled summer and finally get out of this drought)

Most people in this city just cannot appreciate 90+ degree weather or 99 percent relative humidity, but that feels more comfortable to me than being in an air conditioned space
    Technically MtF but I prefer having the female symbol

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I, for one, prefer hammertime. At least you can't touch this.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Well, it's all relative. If you're from some frozen post-apocalyptic half-Narnia half-Tattooine where frost giants and trolls stalk the earth and man should have known better than ever to set foot, then of course winters here will seem mild. But since I hail from the (tropical) Westcountry, winters in Scotland would be quite enough for me, thanks. I did do one winter in New England. I can live without doing that again.

Red Sabres
    League Wiki

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Girls going around wearing bikini tops because it's the best way they can think of to stay cool, or just lounging by the pool, getting up for a dip whenever they've dried out just a bit too much.

Guys going around wearing not much of anything at all except for a crude pair of shorts as a nod in the direction of modesty while their bodies glisten in the sun.

Summer has its perks if you know where to look, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, I can't see how more light, visibility and all can be bad... It saves energy/money to don't have to use a bulb for starters.

I certainly don't like the heat and sharp light at all, make no mistake, from whatever reason. So I can sympathize somewhat.

But since I've learned that lack of sun exposure can be rather bad for you, as far as vitamin D and hormonal production, I try to combat it...

And laying on the grass in shorts, while it's 30 C outside certainly is pretty nice.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I love springtime. I have the cutest outfits prepared for weather around 70-75 degrees and sunny. We've been in the low 60s the past few weeks, we're almost there. Long days have to be one of the best things, I can spend evenings outside on the porch, sipping a drink and reading a book, no longer confined to indoors by darkness and weather.
    It's when it gets to the 90s that I'll miss the awful winter we've been having. Even then it's only that hot during the day, so when it gets down to the 70s in the evening it's lovely and I'm glad there's still sunlight available for me.
    bees

Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Stealthy Kurienatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

I enjoy the general implacability of the weather. Too hot, too cold, it's refreshing to be reminded of the complete impartiality of the universe sometimes. Besides, suffering makes the running better. Nothing is more boring than a run in perfect conditions, and few things better than eight miles in a blizzard as my eyeballs freeze shut, or under the broiling sun while sweating enough to drown any insect unlucky enough to bump into me.
    As I've tried a thousand times
    So I died a thousand times
    Can die no more

Lake of Tears; Can Die No More
    From Neonai, 2002

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

You say that now, but come back to me when you've just had sixth months of winter.

It snowed last week here.
    Last week.

Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher
    So the moral of this story is that you should never listen to me ever.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Far to much daylight. Even worse is daylight savings time, makes it so I have even more sunshine in my day. It makes it impossible for me to tell when it is getting late and anything simple I need to do just doesn't get done. Its Seven right now and it is far to bright. It is supposed to be getting late and it looks like the middle of the day outside. I can't wait until next Winter when things get properly dark again.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is the most ambivalent Pelor face I have ever laid eyes upon. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    In Progress: The Totem Shaman (Totemist/Divine PrC) And Friends!
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even worse is daylight savings time
    Okay, this I can definitely agree with. It is unnecessary to have daylight savings. Some states don't have it even!
    Awesome black Shadow Mage dude by Iron Penguin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome used-to-be-avatar-but-now-is-sigatar by Kymme

Spoiler: FFRP Stuff
    Show

Spoiler: Banners
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

You think you've saw the heat?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE HEAT!

No, seriously, how would you feel if your summers reached 95º F (we use Celsius, though, so I had to change it) and had showers every goddamn day, and when the winter actually reached, the main difference was becoming dry and dropping to 59º F? But wait, there's more! This year the showers in the summer didn't actually came, so we're stuck with little to no water, it's getting dryer and dryer every day that passes, and we'll probably have energy shortages within a few weeks!
    RIP in peace Custom Avatar by TheMadHatter.

Quotes!:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

GPuz's 4e Nexus:
    Spoiler
    Show

GPuz's 4e Homebrew Compendium (not finished yet):

GPuz's 4e Build Compendium (not finished yet):

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Girls going around wearing bikini tops because it's the best way they can think of to stay cool, or just lounging by the pool, getting up for a dip whenever they've dried out just a bit too much.

Guys going around wearing not much of anything at all except for a crude pair of shorts as a nod in the direction of modesty while their bodies glisten in the sun.

Summer has its perks if you know where to look, I suppose.
    I've never seen this happen outside of San Diego and Miami.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I generally prefer winter to summer myself.

Good thing it's autumn.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

Ignis Equine by Akrim.elf, may that name be famed forever.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    You say that now, but come back to me when you've just had sixth months of winter.

It snowed last week here.
    Last week.
    Same here. Frankly, after the non-winters we've been having of late, I found it quite enjoyable. Cold doesn't bother me too much - I'll run in anything down to about 8 degrees Fahrenheit, not counting windchill, and otherwise it's just a matter of dressing appropriately. People use these flimsy shelled polyester coats, which don't work for crap. Wool, leather and fur is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    You think you've saw the heat?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE HEAT!

No, seriously, how would you feel if your summers reached 95º F (we use Celsius, though, so I had to change it) and had showers every goddamn day, and when the winter actually reached, the main difference was becoming dry and dropping to 59º F? But wait, there's more! This year the showers in the summer didn't actually came, so we're stuck with little to no water, it's getting dryer and dryer every day that passes, and we'll probably have energy shortages within a few weeks!
    Pffh. Real heat is when its 95 degrees outside, and you go spend a couple hours working line-cook at a steak house without air conditioning in the kitchen. When you glance down and your meat thermometer reads 150 degrees siting on the countertop, then you've been hot. And until it's below zero for at least an entire day straight, nobody's got crap to complain about when it comes to winter.
    As I've tried a thousand times
    So I died a thousand times
    Can die no more

Lake of Tears; Can Die No More
    From Neonai, 2002

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you okay with Mohenjodarotime?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I love summertime. It's my favorite season. As long as the temperature stays in the double digits, I'm comfortable.
    Pokemon X/Y
    3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530
    Y name: Gaston, X name: Sylthia

Currently have boxes of 4+IVs of Ralts, Lapras, Chansey (Egg Moves), Vulpix (Drought), Beldum, Eevee (Wish), Froakie (Protean), Chimchar (Iron Fist+Egg Moves), Skarmory (Egg Moves), Shellder (Egg Moves), Staryu, Cottonee (Encore), Phione, Mudkip (Egg Moves), Marill (Egg Moves), Klefki, Carbink (Sturdy), Kangaskhan, Togepi (Nasty Plot)
    PM me if you'd like to trade for one.