New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Looking for a writing partner?

My original post can be found below, in spoilers.

Writing Circle

The purpose of this thread is that, if you're a budding writer or enjoy dabbling around creating stories, you can find someone to give your work a read and offer a little constructive criticism. Below are a list of people who have very kindly offered to give a few things a read. Give them a private message if you have something you want feedback on.

You can message as many or as few people as you wish. You can also tailor the feedback you want--even if you don't want any feedback, but simply want an audience for your work. However, it goes without saying that there's no obligation on those you message to comply with your particular requests, or read your writing at all if real life is getting in the way or they already have enough stories on their plate already.

List:

Comment below or PM me to be added or removed from this list.

fergo

Spoiler: Original post
    Show
    Hey guys,

I'm finally finished college for the summer and want to turn my hand to writing a story I've had rattling around in my head for years now. The trouble is, whenever I start something like this, it sorts of trails off as real life gets in the way.

So, I'm hoping that someone on here is in the same boat--looking at doing a bit of writing over the next few months. I figure that it'd be good to have someone to bounce ideas off and share completed parts of the story. The semi-commitment would definitely encourage me to get the writing done, and I'd appreciate any feedback (especially since I haven't done any writing for years).

The story in question is historic fiction set on the borders of England and Scotland in the late 16th century. I'd be up for reading pretty much anything in return.

So, anyone interested?
    Last edited by fergo; 2014-06-13 at 05:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a writing partner?

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm finally finished college for the summer and want to turn my hand to writing a story I've had rattling around in my head for years now. The trouble is, whenever I start something like this, it sorts of trails off as real life gets in the way.

So, I'm hoping that someone on here is in the same boat--looking at doing a bit of writing over the next few months. I figure that it'd be good to have someone to bounce ideas off and share completed parts of the story. The semi-commitment would definitely encourage me to get the writing done, and I'd appreciate any feedback (especially since I haven't done any writing for years).

The story in question is historic fiction set on the borders of England and Scotland in the late 16th century. I'd be up for reading pretty much anything in return.

So, anyone interested?
    I'd be interested! I'm writing a fantasy novel, and developing backstory, world mechanics, and plot for the thing. I'm always needing such a person as you request for this sort of thing.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #3

Sounds great . I'll message you with more information.

Anyone else interested?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure how much insight I can offer, but feel free to throw something at me.

As for myself, I like to fancy myself a writer, but I frequently get stuck in the prewriting stage.

5. - Top - End - #5

I can vaguely read and have some spare time, will that do?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

If there's still room, I'd like to offer my time with your writing.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks guys . I'll send you all quick PMs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd be happy to have a look. I like writing and I'm pretty good at it. It's been a while since I've had a look at any scottish history though...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I couldn't do too much serious writing, but my creativity could definitely help if you need someone to help with inspiration or to bounce ideas off of. I can do idea stuff, just not much actual writing for this.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

10. - Top - End - #10

I have an interest in writing (especially fantasy) and history (especially times of war), but I always seem to lack either the ability or motivation. Expression of interest here.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

11. - Top - End - #11

Heh, I wasn't expecting such a response. I'll send you all quick PMs.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps instead of taking on all of the offers, others could pair up with each other so you don't get overwhelmed, and everyone still gets to benifit. Afterall, if you're spending most of your time communicating with reviewers, you'll be less likely to complete things in a timely manner and such.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Perhaps instead of taking on all of the offers, others could pair up with each other so you don't get overwhelmed, and everyone still gets to benifit. Afterall, if you're spending most of your time communicating with reviewers, you'll be less likely to complete things in a timely manner and such.
    That depends on how many of us are doing some writing, and how much--not everyone is . And I certainly don't expect detailed feedback from everyone.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

That depends on how many of us are doing some writing, and how much--not everyone is . And I certainly don't expect detailed feedback from everyone.
    Truth.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #15

I think pairing is a good idea, but I'm not that good at meeting new people, especially over the internet (I spent half a day trying to decide whether to give my email or not). Are there any alternate ideas?

Also, I forgot to mention that my computer is very outdated, so any documents will need to be adjusted to text files or Windows XP. I should get a new one soon, but I don't know how long that will be.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

A thought: why not make this an open writing circle? Create an index of members in the first post so that people know who they should PM. Or just post right here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Not quite a writing offer, but still relevant. I like linguistics and have always wanted to make a conlang. But I always get stuck at the making words part. Not enough creative inspiration. So if anyone wants a fictional language for fantasy or sci fi, I'm willing to attempt one. (And I know enough about linguistics that I can make it feel right for the culture)
    Last edited by Razanir; 2014-05-31 at 09:43 PM.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Also, I forgot to mention that my computer is very outdated, so any documents will need to be adjusted to text files or Windows XP. I should get a new one soon, but I don't know how long that will be.
    You can get free software.

Office suite: LibreOffice

Word processor: AbiWord

I would recommend AbiWord. It's closer to MS Word than LibreOffice and it's smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    A thought: why not make this an open writing circle? Create an index of members in the first post so that people know who they should PM. Or just post right here.
    I like the ides.

Not quite a writing offer, but still relevant. I like linguistics and have always wanted to make a conlang. But I always get stuck at the making words part. Not enough creative inspiration. So if anyone wants a fictional language for fantasy or sci fi, I'm willing to attempt one. (And I know enough about linguistics that I can make it feel right for the culture)
    Here's my favourite conlang, the Anglish Moot.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always loved your avatar, and I'm actually working on an actual full language for my novel, and I'd love some help. I'll shoot ya a PM.

On the writing circle note; If anyone needs someone to read stuff, I'd be glad to, and I'd love to have my own Inkslave writing partner.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    I've always loved your avatar, and I'm actually working on an actual full language for my novel, and I'd love some help. I'll shoot ya a PM.

On the writing circle note; If anyone needs someone to read stuff, I'd be glad to, and I'd love to have my own Inkslave writing partner.
    I'm working on a bunch of languages! I'd love the help. So much help...

World Building Projects:
    Magic

21. - Top - End - #21

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been working on my next update. Any feedback on my first part is still very welcome .

I like the idea of an open writing circle. That gives everyone the option of sharing their work with as many people as they feel comfortable with. I'll edit my post with a list of people willing to read others' work. If you're interested in being put on the list, comment below .

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll happily read and give feedback.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

23. - Top - End - #23

I'm interested.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2014-06-11 at 05:47 PM.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche

View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been working on my next update. Any feedback on my first part is still very welcome .
    Err....I never got the first....

Edit: And sure, add me to the list.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-06-12 at 09:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, anyone interested?
    What you got to remember while making this book is why it takes place in its time period,you need to find a story that is made from the setting and a point for it being in the setting.

You can do this by Researching[and I'm better that you did do that] the time period and find out what they did all day and why they did it all day and learn what jobs they had at the time and what they normally buy.

But then a opposite thing can happen where you put too much details in there,it's good to say what they eat and what they wear but saying exactly how they persevered there food or how they made the paints is boring and there for pointless,you want to take advantage of the setting not weighed down by it.

Perhaps the most important thing you need to remember is why someone is reading the story and why should they care.

Something I've found out that a lot of bad writer don't do or forget that your story needs a theme,that is part of its reason to exist,a core something that latch on to so to not become just a boring historical book. Really anything can become a theme and I do mean anything can become a theme.

Um..yes I'll help you,and then maybe you will help me some day. [my device died on me so I had to write this ever again]
    Last edited by Findpathfencer; 2014-06-13 at 12:50 AM.
    If it sounds like I'm trolling I'm really not.

I'm not the smartest thing ever[even know I can seem like it] so I'm going to be wrong some times so just call me out on it.[i swear I'm not trolling]

26. - Top - End - #26

I just finished the second part of my story . If you haven't read the first, I can send you that instead, just post here or PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Err....I never got the first....

Edit: And sure, add me to the list.
    Ah, damn. I'll send over a copy now, by PM, but emailing it would probably be better, so if you want, send me a message with your email address in.

Quote Originally Posted by Findpathfencer View Post
    What you got to remember while making this book is why it takes place in its time period,you need to find a story that is made from the setting and a point for it being in the setting.

You can do this by Researching[and I'm better that you did do that] the time period and find out what they did all day and why they did it all day and learn what jobs they had at the time and what they normally buy.
    It's an area I'm at least passingly familiar with, so I think I have enough of an understanding of the time period and the people involved that any failures will simply be as a result of my writing skills rather than a lack of historical knowledge (although, of course, inaccuracies will inevitably occur).

But then a opposite thing can happen where you put too much details in there,it's good to say what they eat and what they wear but saying exactly how they persevered there food or how they made the paints is boring and there for pointless,you want to take advantage of the setting not weighed down by it.
    That's a really good point. I want to add enough little touches to create an impression of a living, breathing world--not just a blank canvas on which the story is placed, but a 3D universe. The characters, I hope, will be defined by the social norms and cultural pressures of their time and place, and while the story itself will be character-driven, it is only through the understanding of the world that they're part of that the full impact of their decisions can be understood.

Perhaps the most important thing you need to remember is why someone is reading the story and why should they care.
    That's the crux of the issue, really. That's what I have to remember, and what I hope everyone reading my work will remind me of.

Something I've found out that a lot of bad writer don't do or forget that your story needs a theme,that is part of its reason to exist,a core something that latch on to so to not become just a boring historical book. Really anything can become a theme and I do mean anything can become a theme.
    My story has a few key thematic elements which may not be apparent from the start. I hope any readers will stay patient as they slowly come into play.

Um..yes I'll help you,and then maybe you will help me some day. [my device died on me so I had to write this ever again]
    Thanks . I'll message you a copy of my first part. I take it you're ok being put on the list in the first post? (Even when on the list there's no pressure to actually read anyone else's stuff).
    Last edited by fergo; 2014-06-13 at 05:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh! Totally sending something's someone's way.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested in helping but I'm pretty busy at the moment so please put me on a reserve list for the time being. If you want serious criticism then I've used Writer's Beat in the past. They don't pull their punches.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Hoverfrog, I'll leave you off for now, but send me a message when you have some more free time and I'll add you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

redface Re: Looking for a writing partner?

I'll help any one who needs help for I've read books about writing and even one about making comics[make that four].
    If it sounds like I'm trolling I'm really not.

I'm not the smartest thing ever[even know I can seem like it] so I'm going to be wrong some times so just call me out on it.[i swear I'm not trolling]