New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Sun Orcs (PEACH)

"The moon is so lovely... yet so dim..."
    -Vanra Moonlight, ironically named Sun Orc Psion/Warblade, on seeing her clan's namesake for the first time.

Surrounded by mysteries, the Sun Orcs are a rare circumstance. They are, surprisingly, good-natured and in fact have a large number of paladins and crusaders running around. The strangest part about the Sun Orcs is their place as anti-drow. While they live underground, they are easier to look at, can stand the surface, and their towns are bathed in a bright light created by an artifical ball of light. Regardless, they are a wonderful ally to have for their smooth personality and Orc strength.

No one knows why the first of their kind went underground but uncovered texts show that an ancient order of paladins actually trained a small group of sun orcs in order to protect their struggling towns. Unlike anything their god did, it worked against their aggressors and suddenly both men and women seeked out their way. It built a new lifestyle for their kind. Without the constant inbreeding anymore, they became one of the most charming of the underground races.

Personality: Sun Orcs tend to be a strict in their teachings. Although, there tend to be a few slackers in Sun Orc society, the rest of them have a strict way of life when it comes to learning things. Despite their diligence in studying, the Sun Orcs tend to slack off at any free time they get, preferring to bathe under the artificial suns or go the local pub and drink than remain vigilant.

Physical Description: Sun Orcs are taller than half-orc but not as tall as half-ogres. Their skin colors vary from an deep green to a lake blue to even brownish colors. Their tusks are around 3-5 inches for both males and females. Unlike most orcs, their skin is smooth with a lack of wart or hair. Their hair colors dont vary much. Usually they are dark green to black but Sorcerers get more exotic colors.

Relations: Drow are the sworn enemies of Sun Orcs and even a good drow is target to prejudice by them, just as elves do to Sun Orcs. Dwarves and gnomes are wary but enjoy a Sun Orc they can trust. Halflings respect their strong family ties but try to avoid unfamiliar Sun Orcs. The surface drow, Iliiran, make Sun Orcs feel uncomfortable. While not evil, they are drow.

Alignment: Sun Orcs are often Neutral Good. Evil Sun Orcs are uncommon and mostly because theyy become assassains-for-hire or drow slavers. Lawful Sun Orcs are usually monks, paladin, or truenamers while chaotic Sun Orcs are bards, barbarians, or illusionists.

Sun Orc Lands: Sun Orcs have a society that resembles a light-hearted versions of surface orc society. Two chiefs choose a champion (Or an adventuring group) in order to pick High Chief for the following year. A less common type of government is a theocracy governed by a high-leveled child Favored Soul of the Light Mother. (See religion.)

Religion:Sun Orcs mainly serve the Light Mother, goddess of the Sun Orcs. Her alignment is Neutral Good and has the domains of Charm, Community, Good, and Sun. Her favored weapon is the Combat Shovel. She has one named "The Undertale." Her symbol is a small version of the artificial sun that bathe their towns in light. Sun Orcs integrated to other societies often choose hero-gods.

Language: Orcish. Sun Orcs often learn the languages of the drow and any possible ally. Unlike normal Orcish, Sun Orcs often write their books and reports in a strange, sophisticated version which require DC 25 Decipher Script check or a Sun Orc to learn what it says.

Adventurers: Sun orcs do not restrict themselves to their underground lands and do occasionally come up. Some want a change of pace and some want to see their namesake. A reason to stay up there is a personal experience.

Sun Orc Racial Traits
    +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom.

Darkvision 60'. Sun Orcs retain their ancestral Darkvision but depend on the light.

Combat Training: Thanks to strong network of information between cities, Sun Orcs know how to effectively manuever a drow's attacks. This gives them a +4 dodge bonus against elves.

Sun Orc Determination: Although mistaken for a state of ferocity most dying orcs go through, Sun Orcs go into a state of sheer determination to win. When their HP goes down to 0, they can stay awake but still suffer -1 HP each round.

Poison Resistance: Grown accustomed to the countless poisons of the drow, they get a +2 bonus on saving throws against poison effects.

Diplomatic: Sun Orcs rival even devils at the art of diplomacy and get +2 bonus to Diplomacy.

Lightweaver: The Sun Orcs pass down the ancient tradition of light weaving. A Sun Orc with an Intelligence score of 11 or more may cast light at will as a spell-like ability.

Automatic Languages: Common, Orc, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Dwarven, Elven, Drow Sign Language, Goblin, Infernal, Terran.
    Last edited by Kaegro; 2014-04-10 at 11:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Sun Orcs (PEACH)

Be gentle please.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

What's the LA on this?

I find it nice, a bit lacking on fluff, and not very orc like, but I like it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spikeof2010 View Post
    What's the LA on this?

I find it nice, a bit lacking on fluff, and not very orc like, but I like it.
    I forgot to put it was for 3.P but its obviously a +1. I wanted to keep them not-so-fluffy so people can squeeze them into any campaign. I am developing more fluff on them so I will add it. And to the orc thing, I was going for only a bit of orc so they wont lean on as a typical orc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Added languages. Anyone willing to playtest it is welcome to as long as you tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

On-par with most PF races, though not strong enough in any regard to make it an overwhelmingly popular choice for anything but paladins.
    Not bad, but some of the abilities don't seem to line up. Proficiency with weapons that require Dex, but no dex bonus, charisma bonus but SLA that relies on intelligence, and a random bonus against Drow (which could apply to all elves by PF's race builder rules).
    Consider swapping their weapon preference for poison resistance, since Drow use that crap all the time.
    I do get a small chuckle out of the Orc using his SLA to make Drow helmets glow, thus blinding them for 1 round as often as desired.

Add more flavor, and take out the mention of the sun being too bright. These orcs prefer light, it shouldn't be a problem. And the name doesn't make since if they live underground.

I like the concept though. The opposite of traditional Orcs, as the Drow are the opposite of traditional Elves.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    *snip*.
    First of all, thanks for the errors and hopefully the bonus is better. I decided to use intelligence for it because its more of a cultural ability than ancestral magic. I could refluff it to do so however. The fluff is underconstruction but the name comes from the huge ball of light dangling over their cities. It provides an equal amount of light as a cloudy morning. What I have for fluff so far is that a tribe of orcs come upon a human cleric/paladin of a sun goddess. With her benevolent nature and powerful lightweaving, she guided their way to prosperity and her way to being their patron deity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Added some basic fluff. I might work on a paragon after finishing the fluff.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hm...

This is a great underground race, and I've been playing a lot of those recently, so that means something. I'd like very much to see how this turns out. However, as the ability adjustments are, it strongly favors paladins, charismatic fighters, etc.

However...

If we swap out Str for Con (another legendary orc stat), everyone benefits. Barbarians get extra rage rounds. Squishy characters get extra hit points. Everyone benefits from a high Con - but not everyone uses Str on a daily basis.

I'd say it would make it more attractive for practically any build, especially given the complimentary ferocity ability.

Just saying, most players are more likely to pick Con bonuses than Str.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm with thunderfist. I would change str to con. Any time I see a bonus to str its a red flag to me. It usually comes at a price.

Otherwise, a decent race. Nice variety of features. Could use more detailed fluff, but then, I'm a sucker for such things.
    Last edited by Makeitstop; 2014-04-08 at 11:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the idea, I could see Constitution for an underground race but the +2 Strength is because orcs get a +4 Strength bonus. Fluff should come within the week.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I expanded on the fluff. I misplaced my notes on the Combat Shovel but i think its a Heavy mace crunch wise.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kaegro View Post
    Thanks for the idea, I could see Constitution for an underground race but the +2 Strength is because orcs get a +4 Strength bonus. Fluff should come within the week.
    Yes, but I would like to point out that these orcs also get a +2 Charisma, whereas the standard breed gets a -2 penalty.

Of course, as it is your race, I won't push you any further if you don't want it changed. Just pointing out a fact.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

The most important question, of course:

Are you okay if people (i.e. me) abbreviate their name to "Snorc"?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfist12 View Post
    Yes, but I would like to point out that these orcs also get a +2 Charisma, whereas the standard breed gets a -2 penalty.

Of course, as it is your race, I won't push you any further if you don't want it changed. Just pointing out a fact.
    I had to pick a mental stat to boost and Charisma seemed to be the best stat fluff-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The most important question, of course:

Are you okay if people (i.e. me) abbreviate their name to "Snorc"?
    Of course I am.