New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Creating RWBY weapons?

What D20 systems are really good for making interesting weapons? I'm looking for something to make the weapons used by RWBY characters (like Blake's Gambol Shroud or Weiss's Myrtenaster). I'm want a system with a lot of options for weapon creation.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Creating RWBY weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonic1337 View Post
    What D20 systems are really good for making interesting weapons? I'm looking for something to make the weapons used by RWBY characters (like Blake's Gambol Shroud or Weiss's Myrtenaster). I'm want a system with a lot of options for weapon creation.
    In any D20, at the most basic, those would be weapons with two functions, useable as either a [insert melee weapon] (rapier, scythe, gauntlet) and a firearm (pistol, rifle, shotgun).

If anything, the real issue is finding decent firearms rules to use.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I see a few ways you could go about doing this. At it's simplest it's just weapon A that can turn into weapon B, with perhaps a component or configuration that allows functionality as per weapon C.

however, once you start going deeper, there comes up a few issues that I believe need addressing. First off, seeing as a firearm is typically one of the functions present in the weapon, how powerful should the firearms be? As far as I can tell, the firearms in RWBY rarely dealt significant amounts of damage in a situation where it actually mattered, instead being either utilitarian or long-range harassment in nature.

Another thing is cost, in a medieval setting, a full suit of platemail is an example of superior craftsmanship, and has a price that reflects this. Now compare that to the wondrous pieces of metal origami that are weapons in RWBY. Getting anywhere close to that function would require dedicated development of new technology and techniques, special materials, and loads upon loads of work to produce even a single piece. Needless to say, this would not be cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

For now assume the technology exists (a magitech game that pulls things from D&D 3.5 as well as D20 Modern, set in the future).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, it's not quite D&D, but Legend is essentially close enough, and I've heard it said that it can represent RWBY pretty well. Legend has a fair amount of magitech in it, and it's still a d20 system. You get magic items by levelling up rather than buying them, and your weapon can very well be a custom-shooty-stabby awesome thing if memory serves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show