New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Smash Brothers 4 News - Release windows, characters, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Smash and Bayonetta 2 are my big reasons at this point, but there are always going to be other great games on a Nintendo system, even if only Nintendo's own first-party ones. I've already been playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, for example, and it's fantastic.
    Exactly. Smash bros will get me to the table but once there I'm sure I'll find other things that interest me.

I did reach a point where I was hardly using my wii, but there were other contributing factors. Such as it being left out when a wall got torn down in our house. So much dust.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2014-04-20 at 01:35 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I did reach a point where I was hardly using my wii, but there were other contributing factors.
    For me it's having a TV that's so old, it still has a working Twin-lead connector.
    I have a converter attached to it for F-connector cables (and then to a digital box converter so it can get channel signals), but the picture is pretty bad so I just don't bother further adding converters to get the RCA connector I need).
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2014-04-21 at 09:00 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    For me it's having a TV that's so old, it still has a working Twin-lead connector.
    I have a converter attached to it for F-connector cables (and then to a digital box converter so it can get channel signals), but the picture is pretty bad so I just don't bother further adding converters to get the RCA connector I need).
    You should try to get a cheap replacement at a thrift shop.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think a month is not old enough for a topic to consider this threadomancy.

Because a new challenger has been confirmed. And he makes hard to believe that any character from FE:Awakening will be appearing as a playable character.

We! Like!

Ike!

Pokemon Y(Afo) an Alpha Sapphire (Al)
    Friend Code: 4656-7012-2957
    Friend safari: lilipup, loudred, ditto
    Available pokemon for trade: Follow the link.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    Because a new challenger has been confirmed. And he makes hard to believe that any character from FE:Awakening will be appearing as a playable character.
    Already been discussed in the Fire Emblem thread. And no, actually, it does not - it just makes it easy to believe that we'll have three Fire Emblem characters playable this time around. Given Awakening was such a popular game (the best-selling of the series to date), and indeed basically saved the series from extinction, it makes a lot of sense to include someone from that title as a newcomer. It seems pretty unlikely that the devs would decide both that Fire Emblem could not have three characters and that Ike was not worth cutting in favor of a newcomer from Awakening.

Plus there's a potentially-legitimate newcomer leak floating around that names Chrom as one of the newcomers, so there's that as well.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-05-30 at 12:21 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ah, I don't follow the FE thread, I didn't know this was old news.

Still, I think Crom and Marth are very similar, and the link I gave (despite being the Spanish version of the website, it should be the same as the English/Japanese one) mentions that Ike appears in FE:A, instead of PoR or RD.
    If they were going for a third lord, I'd prefer seeing Ephraim or Hector (non-sword users) rather than Crom.

Pokemon Y(Afo) an Alpha Sapphire (Al)
    Friend Code: 4656-7012-2957
    Friend safari: lilipup, loudred, ditto
    Available pokemon for trade: Follow the link.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    Ah, I don't follow the FE thread, I didn't know this was old news.

Still, I think Crom and Marth are very similar, and the link I gave (despite being the Spanish version of the website, it should be the same as the English/Japanese one) mentions that Ike appears in FE:A, instead of PoR or RD.
    If they were going for a third lord, I'd prefer seeing Ephraim or Hector (non-sword users) rather than Crom.
    Chrom and Marth are only as similar as the developers of the game choose to make them. Ike was changed for his Smash Brothers incarnation, after all. In his games he's a fairly typical Lord with good stats all-around, not a slow, strong bruiser. And when he was announced for Brawl they made a big deal out of his sword being a two-handed one that he's strong enough to wield one-handed, which was not the case in his games at all - his sword was actually one of a pair that were dual-wielded by an ancient hero. No offense to her, but I sincerely doubt anyone dual-wields greatswords.

As for other Lords, I'd say the odds of them are very low. They're from older games, without any particular special place in the series' history, nor do they have a lot of fans clamoring for their inclusion. With Awakening being the most recent game and something of a landmark for the series, its characters are easily the prime candidates for being newcomers.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Meh. I really don't see why I'd want one of those. Even if I hadn't played Brawl with Wiimote + Nunchuk, the Wii U has a classic controller that's pretty much identical to typical modern controllers, which are strictly better than the Gamecube controller.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Meh. I really don't see why I'd want one of those. Even if I hadn't played Brawl with Wiimote + Nunchuk, the Wii U has a classic controller that's pretty much identical to typical modern controllers, which are strictly better than the Gamecube controller.
    You are underestimating how much pro-level Smash players love the Gamecube Controller.
    Chrom and Marth are only as similar as the developers of the game choose to make them. Ike was changed for his Smash Brothers incarnation, after all. In his games he's a fairly typical Lord with good stats all-around, not a slow, strong bruiser. And when he was announced for Brawl they made a big deal out of his sword being a two-handed one that he's strong enough to wield one-handed, which was not the case in his games at all - his sword was actually one of a pair that were dual-wielded by an ancient hero. No offense to her, but I sincerely doubt anyone dual-wields greatswords.
    Ragnell is the heaviest sword available in normal play in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, though, and having Ike be both lightning-fast and monstrously strong would've made him fairly OP.

Also, Altina was apparently some kind of hyper-turbo badass, but even then, the one image we have of her (standing bare-back on the massive Lion laguz Soan, with Dheginsea covering their rear) is of her holding only one of the swords (Alondite is still strapped to her belt). Also one-handed, since while Fire Emblem frequently has gender-based stat caps, the fighting ladies still get a strength cap of "can decapitate a mook with a butter knife."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    You are underestimating how much pro-level Smash players love the Gamecube Controller.
    No. Just speaking for myself.

Ragnell is the heaviest sword available in normal play in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, though, and having Ike be both lightning-fast and monstrously strong would've made him fairly OP.
    Of course they wouldn't do that. But if they wanted to be more accurate to how he is in the game, they would've made him a mid-weight type, perhaps a bit heavier and stronger than Mario, to represent the fact that he's an all-around sort of character.

Also, Altina was apparently some kind of hyper-turbo badass, but even then, the one image we have of her (standing bare-back on the massive Lion laguz Soan, with Dheginsea covering their rear) is of her holding only one of the swords (Alondite is still strapped to her belt).
    Huh, I could've sworn that image showed her wielding both blades at once. Nonetheless though, what's the point of having both if you can only use one at a time? If I recall, they're identical in terms of abilities anyway.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Obviously they should include Lucina as an unlockable reskin for Marth.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-05-30 at 07:41 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Obviously they should include Lucina as an unlockable reskin for Marth.
    I'd rather not have to unlock anything, personally. But yes, Lucina as an alternate outfit for Marth seems very appropriate, particularly given they seem to be greatly expanding how many characters get alternate outfits. You would want a separate voice actor too, but for something like this, that can't be that big of a deal.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd rather not have to unlock anything, personally. But yes, Lucina as an alternate outfit for Marth seems very appropriate, particularly given they seem to be greatly expanding how many characters get alternate outfits. You would want a separate voice actor too, but for something like this, that can't be that big of a deal.
    They're also expanding what the alternate outfits include, since the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer both come in male and female flavors. Lucina as an alternate Marth seems possible. With her hair down, so as to minimize silhouette confusion with Marth.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

They're also expanding what the alternate outfits include, since the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer both come in male and female flavors. Lucina as an alternate Marth seems possible. With her hair down, so as to minimize silhouette confusion with Marth.
    There's really no need to minimize such confusion if she's just an alternate outfit. She wouldn't even have different attack properties like the old clone characters. But yeah, hair down seems more appropriate anyway, since that's how she spends most of the game. Maybe we could even get both that and the masked version - that one would be even easier to make.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as alternate outfits are concerned, I just want a Ridley outfit for Charizard.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's really no need to minimize such confusion if she's just an alternate outfit. She wouldn't even have different attack properties like the old clone characters. But yeah, hair down seems more appropriate anyway, since that's how she spends most of the game. Maybe we could even get both that and the masked version - that one would be even easier to make.
    A silhouette difference would make telling the difference between her and Marth easier when two players pick those characters and with the same color scheme, particularly on the 3DS and/or when the screen is zoomed way out. (The P1/P2/etc markers over one's head help, but aren't as fast of references in the thick of battle)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Sakurai said that alternate costumes would not be different characters, just a different look.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I hope not. It would be an easy way to include characters who otherwise wouldn't be worth making playable.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking just for myself, I vastly prefer the Gamecube controller to just about anything else out there, particularly the typical modern ones.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Speaking just for myself, I vastly prefer the Gamecube controller to just about anything else out there, particularly the typical modern ones.
    I also prefer the Gamecube controller for Smash. It just feels better to me.

As for a potential new character, I would love to see Paper Mario.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    As for a potential new character, I would love to see Paper Mario.
    I'd rather see Dr. Mario return, if only as an alternate costume.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Gamecube controller is the only way to play Smash Bros. I did not think that was up for debate.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I'd rather see Dr. Mario return, if only as an alternate costume.
    If any alternate version of Mario pops up, that is the most likely way.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

A Paper item that turns characters into paper versions of themselves would be pretty cool.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

It would be a neat cosmetic effect, but what would it do gameplay-wise? Make the affected character lighter? Maybe act like a reverse Metal Box that you hit an enemy with instead of using on yourself...

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Gamecube controller is the only way to play Smash Bros. I did not think that was up for debate.
    Real gamers rewire N64 controllers.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    It would be a neat cosmetic effect, but what would it do gameplay-wise? Make the affected character lighter? Maybe act like a reverse Metal Box that you hit an enemy with instead of using on yourself...
    That could work. Other options include a drifting paper fall (possibly with a paper airplane mode,) projectiles missing you (2d planes) or even map "shortcuts" such as going around a wall or hopping in a background warp pipe if they wanted to get really creative.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2014-06-04 at 08:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Competitive Smashers often use non-standard controller grips and fingerings. I know the 'claw' grip is fairly popular (right hand thumb on c-stick, index finger on ABXY, middle or ring finger on R) and I personally use an arcade grip for Peach (right hand thumb on c-stick, index finger on B, middle finger on AY, ring finger on X and occasionally R). Neither of these techniques work with the Pro controller because the right stick gets in the way, and the arcade grip needs a different, worse fingering on a Wii Classic because X has been moved.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2014-06-06 at 11:28 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mario View Post
    Real gamers rewire N64 controllers.
    The N64 controller is the single worst controller I have ever had the misfortune to use, including the Ouya ones. That the gamecube controller was well designed (again, it's my favorite controller - in general, and not just for Smash Bros) after that thing is honestly surprising.

I mean, really. Basically everyone has two hands. Those that don't tend to have either one or zero. Why is it designed with three grips?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.