New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Smash Brothers 4 News - Release windows, characters, and more.

My best guess is that they expected most games to ignore the N64 controller's stick and use it like a SNES controller with shoulder buttons.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2014-06-06 at 12:19 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post

I mean, really. Basically everyone has two hands. Those that don't tend to have either one or zero. Why is it designed with three grips?
    You'd have to ask the guy who designed the controller:

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Because the N64 controller was designed with both D-Pad and Joystick controls in mind. Right hand goes on the right grip near the buttons. For a game that uses the Joystick (most of them), you put your left hand on the center grip and can use the joystick and Z button. For a game designed around the D-Pad (Kirby 64 is the only one that comes to mind), you have the left grip with the D-Pad and the L trigger.

The thing may look ridiculous, but very versatile. They probably just didn't realize going in that there would be much demand for the D-Pad.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

theoretically, you could even play "duel analogue" with D pad and control stick. Your only buttons would be the Z and L triggers, but for a shooter that's all you need. :p

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    You'd have to ask the guy who designed the controller:

Damn you Zaphod! *shakes fist angrily*

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Because the N64 controller was designed with both D-Pad and Joystick controls in mind. Right hand goes on the right grip near the buttons. For a game that uses the Joystick (most of them), you put your left hand on the center grip and can use the joystick and Z button. For a game designed around the D-Pad (Kirby 64 is the only one that comes to mind), you have the left grip with the D-Pad and the L trigger.

The thing may look ridiculous, but very versatile. They probably just didn't realize going in that there would be much demand for the D-Pad.
    I'm pretty sure Mischief Makers also used the D-pad.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mischief Makers also used the D-pad.
    Marina Liteyears would be my number one pick for a fighter. I'd pick her over Isaac any day.

Shake shake!
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2014-06-09 at 02:11 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Marina Liteyears would be my number one pick for a fighter. I'd pick her over Isaac any day.

Shake shake!
    I barely remember that game. Never owned it, just borrowed it from a friend for a little while.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post

And it let Goldeneye have 1000 control styles (ok, 8, but it felt like more). It also let Goldeneye have control styles that worked for people who preferred the stick in the right hand.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I'd hook up an old dualshock if I could, but the Gamecube controller is the next best thing.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Iwata and Reggie confirmed for Smash!

Also you. And Mii.

And a launch date for the 3DS version: Oct. 3.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Iwata and Reggie confirmed for Smash!

Also you. And Mii.

And a launch date for the 3DS version: Oct. 3.
    So Reggie's body is ready for Smash. Good to know.

Having a Mii as a character doesn't surprise me too much. Now I'm just curious what a Mii will play like.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I was hoping hey wouldn't shoehorn the Miis into Smash Bros...

Ah well, if nothing else, I suppose I can stage a 4-way deathmatch between Miyamoto, Iwata, Sakurai, and Reggie.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Now I'm just curious what a Mii will play like.
    There's Brawler Mii, which is an unarmed brawler like Little Mac or Captain Falcon; Sword Mii, which use sword moves like Link or Marth; and Gunner Mii, which has an arm cannon with multiple projectiles like Samus and Mega Man.

Each Mii class will also have three different specials for each slot, to customize your Mii the way you want it.

Start here, and see for yourself. (Nintendo's E3 digital event... starts with a Robot Chicken sketch, then goes into a hilariously overdone Reggie vs Iwata fistfight to introduce the Miis)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2014-06-10 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

As soon as I saw the mii I thought "there goes the avatar". From Fire Emblem Awakening if it was unclear.

Think about it. The only niche the avatar could fill was versatile, and really customizable, but then mii comes along and says, "I'm all that, AND a self insert" So what does the avatar have left? Maybe I'm overreacting but the avatar's chances seem bleak to me.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Miis actually look a little better than I was expecting, with the three different fighting styles and customizable array of special moves. Not excited for them, but I'm surprisingly fine with them.

On the flip side though: Palutena is friggin' confirmed at last! Hell yes ! And her moveset looks awesome. So much magic. And wings from nowhere. And a move that grants her super speed that surpasses Sonic. And her final smash is a goddamn black hole followed by a giant laser beam.

I officially no longer care who else is in the game. I got Mega Man and Palutena, and they both look awesome. That is plenty for me.

(Oh, slightly disappointing note, the October release for the 3DS version is a delay, since there's no way they thought that October was in the Summer when they previously said it was a summer release. But no big deal - up until they said summer release in the last direct I wasn't expecting either version until the holidays anyway.)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

So that is why people where talking about at Smash Bros. anime.... now I also want one. And the October's release date suits me just fine since my B-day is in October
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    So what does the avatar have left?
    Bending, duh. Yes, I did see your white-text, I just chose to ignore it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Bending, duh. Yes, I did see your white-text, I just chose to ignore it.
    Yes! Nintendo make it happen.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    As soon as I saw the mii I thought "there goes the avatar". From Fire Emblem Awakening if it was unclear.

Think about it. The only niche the avatar could fill was versatile, and really customizable, but then mii comes along and says, "I'm all that, AND a self insert" So what does the avatar have left? Maybe I'm overreacting but the avatar's chances seem bleak to me.
    I kinda see your point, but I'd see them putting in Chrom before the avatar.

Besides, the Mii is like the avatar for Nintendo in general, while the Awakening avatar is just for Fire Emblem.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda see your point, but I'd see them putting in Chrom before the avatar.
    Yeah, exactly. I mean, there's an argument to be made for the Avatar being the main character of Awakening, but Chrom is its main character in the traditional sense of the series - the main Lord - and the first parts of the game definitely center more on him than on the Avatar. If someone from Awakening is being made playable, it's almost certainly him.

Edit: By the by, the E3 invitational tournament is starting now, for anyone who wants to watch.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-06-10 at 06:02 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Four gunship domination... I don't care how people feel about her new design, ZSS's new Final Smash is one of the best.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. I'm a bit disappointed by how few of the new characters are getting past the first round, though.

Edit: Whose bright idea was it to keep cutting to the audience, comentators, stage, and players during that last match? We want to see the damned fight, not random people who are watching it.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-06-10 at 07:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

They really should've come up with a more accurate way to measure fan favorite than "Hold up cards with pictures on them"

Wily stage looks incredible though.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, Mega Man's final smash is even more hype than it looked in the preview. That intro sequence for all five Mega Men after he catches someone with it, just awesome.

Edit: Wow, grand finals were so tense. Very close match. The only one of the tournament that was a real competition, honestly. Much as it was nice seeing any kind of matches in full like that, I find myself wishing they done 1v1 no items the whole time after seeing that.

Also, personal favorite stage seen during it? Skyloft. Delphino Plaza was my favorite Brawl stage, and while I was hoping it would return, a spiritual successor like that is a more than acceptable alternative.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-06-10 at 08:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Also, with the Mii character, Smash has reached a point that most fighters get around to eventually.

A character creator.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

According to the Nintendo Twitter, there is another new character announcement...
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    According to the Nintendo Twitter, there is another new character announcement...
    Well, Reggie did say at the end of the tournament that they were doing a round table where they would have more news later.

Also, that goes a long way towards legitimizing the big leak that's been floating around. Every character the leaker predicted before last E3 is now confirmed: Mega Man, Animal Crossing Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Miis, and Pac-Man. Plus two from his list posted just before the big direct, Palutena and an X/Y Pokèmon (Greninja). If this keeps up, three of our remaining newcomers (possibly all of our remaining newcomers, but the leaker does not claim his list is complete) are Chrom from FE: Awakening, Shulk from Xenoblade, and the Chorus Men from Rythm Heaven.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

For those of you hungry to see the newcomer, a video is available for you to digest.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    For those of you hungry to see the newcomer, a video is available for you to digest.
    Nice. Very old-school.

Also, Mr. Game and Watch appears at the end of it, which likely means he's back. Not that there was ever a reason to think otherwise, but still. Kinda odd he'd show up before being officially revealed, though.

Edit: Apparently it's been revealed that all of those moves Palutena sounded off in her trailer are special moves, and like the Miis she gets to pick between three for each slot. Pretty interesting. Speculation as to which go to which slot:

Neutral B: Heavenly Light, Auto-Reticle, Celestial Fireworks.
    Up B: Warp, Rocket Jump, Jump Glide. (These are all pretty obvious - the recovery moves.)
    Side B: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Angelic Missile.
    Down B: Reflect, Counter, Lightweight.

If this is right, I think I'll be going with Heavenly Light, Explosive Flame, Rocket Jump, and either Reflect or Counter, at least at first. Maybe one of the other moves will grab me once I've tried them out, but that's my initial reaction.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-06-10 at 11:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

So the cherry chasing dot munched has joined the group. Should be interesting.

I still think Travis Touchdown would make for an interesting character.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS