New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default EMPIRE! Pre-history Thread

So as Empire has played out there have been more a few cases where someone basically fabricated a connection between to regions to stake a claim, this(and other things) started leading to people working on collaborative histories instead of just the history within their borders. So here I would like for us to work on the pre-history of Telluris. Hopefully we can figure out where all our great nations came from.

Quinton laid some of the ground work for us here by takings shots at where different races could have originated.

Our current working theory is that humans in general come from near the Salterri lands and spread from that point. The humans of Genivana and Woodwind both claim direct descendence from Salterri (possibly pre-empire Lann Qïng specifically, we don't know their full history)

I'm looking forward to what we come up with

Edit:
    Here is the Wiki. A great place to keep this sort of information written up.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-12-01 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Pre-history Thread

Besides the whole mythos of creation, the Bordeusi believe that they came from a mythical city city known as "Derriel". The city itself was destroyed by "demons", which could possibly be terrestrial, long extinct giants and dragons, and the Bordeusi were outside of the city at the time of destruction. My plans for this were that the ruins of the city are discovered far underground, beneath Bordeux. The destruction & dispersal event occurred about 1000 years ago.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

A History of the Lyradissian People

364 – Lord Gareth Serendel burns to death by his own hand to protest the The Great Tellurian War, and in some accounts, this is a major reason the end occurs.

356 – Construction of the Crest Fortifications are completed, Lyra begins work on a Training University for the Creatures of Tyllurius.

355 – Lord Gareth Serendel chooses his daughter to be his successor, and Lyra Serendel becomes the first Lady of Lyradis. Lyra, knowing about her nation’s past, begins exploring the southern coasts in search of their abandoned homelands and the people who sailed west at Qarimos.

348 – The Dawn League is created by Gareth, between Raaneka, Qarimos, and Razdis – Lyradis’ closest allies.

336 - Gareth hosts a Grand Ball to further diplomatic ties, so that Lyradis will never once again stand alone. Several nations ruling families marry into the Serendel line, including Kasumor, Qarimos, and Ashenia. Gareth also begins work on a secret project.

331 – Construction begins on Aldric’s Crest to make it more fortified, a preventative measure that was never finished in Old Lyradis.

330 – Lord Gareth, having inherited the kingdom early and amidst chaos when he came to power, changes the way succession works. Instead, it is by choice of the current ruler who gains the throne, chosen by who would most benefit the nation.

310 – Lord Rimidin Serendel dies by illness from a winter fever. His lung collapsed and he suffocated. His son, Gareth, inherits the throne.

294 – Lord Darien Serendel is killed by large monsters while clearing a section of forests in the Great Wood of Lyradis. Rimidin inherits the throne, and forbids the continued clearing of forests, due to the danger of the region.

272 – New Lyradis completely accepts the Lord of Fire as the national religion.

269 – Aldric Serendel dies of old age.

265 – Aldric Serendel passes the crown onto his son, Darien Serendel.

255 – Encounter the temple of the Lord of Fire to the North, and begin learning about the religion.

240 – Founding of New Lyradis, with Aldric Serendel, first Lord of the scattered peoples within the region. Kingdom officially allies with the Dwarves of Razdis, and Aldric takes a Razdissi for his wife.

204 – Settling of Region 13, encounter Dwarves in the mountains. A small plateau is named “Aldric’s Crest” in honor of the former Crest in Old Lyradis. The Crest is a shadow of the vastness of the one in Old Lyradis.

200 – Encounter the Raaneki while they wander, some travel with Lyradissian’s to protect them and assist them in finding a new land. Some Lyradissians and Qarimosi settle in Raaneka.

194 – Bands of Lyradissian refugees enter Qarimos, seeking aid in finding new home. Some Lyradissians sail eastward, attempting to find lands far away. The others turn inland, and rumors of a large mountain region to the north attracts the Lyradissians northwards. A few groups of Qarimosi opt to also move inland with them, and leave the sea behind.

161 – Lyradissians wander through the wilds of regions 30, 31, 33, 34, and others, attempting to put as much distance from the Kell’s as possible, and seeking aid from other nations.

160 – Population of Lyradis abandons their country, fleeing from the invading Nation of Kell. Half the population is killed outright in the panic and war. The remains of the military gather for a last stand to allow the citizens to escape.

151 – The Lyradissian’s Military knowing they are outnumbered, use the mountainous land as a strategic advantage to hold off the invasion. After several back and forth battles, the Kell’s eventually overwhelm the lines and close in on Lyradis proper, their numbers too great.

133 – Lyradis’ regions, one by one, are invaded by the Kell’s, whom have a far superior strength in comparison with Lyradis.

130 – Lyradis immediately begins construction of defenses, and gearing up to defend their country. In secret, the King begins construction of an escape route for his people.

129 – Farridon releases the Prince, who is in poor condition. The former ruler sends a message with him saying he apologizes, but it is out of his hands. The best he could do is convince Kell to release the Prince. The Prince dies of malnutrition and disease 3 weeks later.

123 – Lyradis tries extending diplomacy to neighboring regions to ask for support, as there is worry Kell will invade. No nations are willing. The King of Lyradis sends his only son to Farridon to try and convince them to secede from the Kingdom of Kell. The Prince is captured and imprisioned.

120 – A messenger arrives to the Kingdom and treats with the King to join the Grand Kingdom of Kell. Stipulates that is Lyradis joins, trade will be restored with Farridon. The King denies this offer, refusing to succumb to bullying by the nation.

118 – Farridon cuts off trade relations without warning. No reasons are given, and messengers are turned away from the borders of the region.

112 – Lyradis’ only ally, Farridon, joins the Grand Kingdom of Kell, but maintains trade relations with Lyradis.

42 – The Grand Kingdom of Lyradis is founded consisting of regions 61, 62, 63, and 64. Named for the inland sea named Lyr, and the Mountains of Discord, named for the rocks, which ring different notes when struck.

Before the Grand Kingdom, the regions were still within the Leadership of Lyradis, not neccessarily all of them the whole time. But Lyradissian's originated in Discordia and Requiem, and expanded to the other two.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-06-20 at 12:29 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of my Aloren scholar's speculations and conjectures, there's another post full of them here (And I fixed the demographic map some)

Obviously all this stuff is one fictional man's opinion so if a player has a different origin story it will clearly override anything I've written, but if someone wants to incorporate it or parts of it that'd be awesome too.

Zab, Imp, and I were discussing in PMs this historical stuff earlier, and as he stated we both concluded our people's originate from the south from a long time ago. We also have an idea for Hrathan-Tuor's history as descendants of colonists from a human nation that likely fell apart by now that originated somewhere on the eastern continent. I also suggested that perhaps this kingdom was at war with the original home of the orcs now residing in Grrmanhil and that HT's people were originally in Grrmanhil land but were pushed out when the orcs out-rolled them on a colonization roll pushing the Hrathenese further west to modern day HT and that itself has some historical going ons that I'll let Imp explain before I start writing his history

I have some other ideas floating around that the humans of Bordeux/Ashenia are from a different origin than those of the central continent (perhaps they share a way ancient connection from a crossing at Region 26 but so long ago it wouldn't even be known) Essentially the First Men vs the Andals for a Game of Thrones comparison.

As for personal Woodwind/Aloren history they arrived north from modern-day Salterri lands and set up shop on the coasts eventually moving inland and meeting other tribes that had moved north and settled the woods. They ended up uniting and being relatively peaceful until a great conflict ended in civil war which saw the expulsion of those who went on to found modern day Crima. There wasn't really a nation of any discernible sorts until the beginning of the game and the rest is recorded history.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-09 at 01:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm working on Raaneka's history, but don't have anything worth sharing just yet. I will likely wait until Round 12 to post my own history... mainly because I don't yet control the region that will researching history.

That said, Raaneki keep their records on their bodies, so their history gets pretty mythic (read: inaccurate) as early as a few hundred years before the current round. Turns out flesh doesn't keep very well over time!

One thing I'm ridiculously curious to learn: Why did the calendar start ~380 years ago? What event kickstarted the current age, and would all/most cultures be aware of it? Would all of them have been affected by it?
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

See, I don't actually come up with histories and backstories so much as I leave mysterious threads hanging around and see how other people take them.

I find that it's more fun that way, and I can always veto the stuff that I don't like for whatever reason when it applies to me.

Anyway, I've been considering something lately: Where could the various Beastfolk have come from? So far we have Catfolk, Cattlefolk (AKA Minotaurs), a few different types of Lizardfolk, and Ratfolk (AKA Sympol) for sure. Depending on how canon Felitora's existence is, we might also have Wolffolk (who may or may not be the same as Werewolves), Bearfolk, and whatever Drakefolk are.

The obvious odd-one-out here is the Lizardfolk, which are both not mammalian and also focused more in the West than the East, so they're probably unrelated to the various races of Beastfolk.

I still don't have a satisfying answer for this one, but I'll keep you guys updated if I think of one.

Oh, one more thing worth noting: The Bronze Citadel. Its origins are intentionally vague as all heck and almost certainly tied into the mythical history of the Glazfell before it froze over, but I think I'll leave the details up to Morph and/or everyone else with ideas.

One kooky idea I've been thinking about, though: What if the Lord of Fire really did smite the ancient masters of the land, for playing God and irresponsibly using Old Magic to grant sentience to everything in sight? Just a thought.

7. - Top - End - #7

I've got some notes on this topic. I'm still very curious to know what happened in the Year 0.

The Razdissi, a brief history

Penned by Albrek of the Buried Lord Clan.

7 - The future Razdissi arrived in Eyrecradia, which at that time composed both the area beneath the Heartwaste and below what is now Lyradis. They came from Sulvan's Fury, led by Lord Vindael the Unbroken. Theories why they left abound; most centre around Vindael's opposition to the Lord of Fire, and subsequent voluntary exile with his clan. The dwarves intermarry extensively with the Eyrecradian Ore Elves, creating grey-skinned dwarves of slightly taller stature than normal, phenomenal vision in complete darkness and a shorter lifespan due to the conflicting metabolisms of the two races. The elven leaders of the time were Aerith Vel'Xorrith (chief of the Ore Elves), Elric Turienth (Chief of the Moss Elves) and Ilithean Benxia (chief of the Gem Elves). The dwarves dwell mainly beneath the Dis mountains, and the elves below the Heartwaste.

36 - The dwarves adopt clans, mimicking the divisions of the elves. The first are the Unbroken Line, Nine Spears, and Ancient Delving clans. More swiftly follow as the clans split and Balkanise. The first records of Keldagrim dwarves are found dating from this era; a possible link?

113 - The Razdissi separate from Eyrecradia, existing only in the caves beneath the Discord Mountains. This is due to an immense earthquake, splitting them apart forcibly. This is blamed on the Lord of Fire's temple standing nearby. Andbar of the Unbroken Line Clan was the first Mormaer, a title taken from truly archaic and outmoded Sulvan; a modern Sulvan wouldn't understand the meaning at all. It would be like calling a modern Khan of Woodwind a 'giver of rings.' Finbael of the Ancient Delving Clan was the first to explore all the major tunnels, discovering the Deep named after him and dying in a madhouse because of it.

204 - Lyradisians settle above Razdis; the two peoples become staunch allies and intermarry extensively.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-04-09 at 02:27 PM.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    See, I don't actually come up with histories and backstories so much as I leave mysterious threads hanging around and see how other people take them.

I find that it's more fun that way, and I can always veto the stuff that I don't like for whatever reason when it applies to me.

Anyway, I've been considering something lately: Where could the various Beastfolk have come from? So far we have Catfolk, Cattlefolk (AKA Minotaurs), a few different types of Lizardfolk, and Ratfolk (AKA Sympol) for sure. Depending on how canon Felitora's existence is, we might also have Wolffolk (who may or may not be the same as Werewolves), Bearfolk, and whatever Drakefolk are.

The obvious odd-one-out here is the Lizardfolk, which are both not mammalian and also focused more in the West than the East, so they're probably unrelated to the various races of Beastfolk.

I still don't have a satisfying answer for this one, but I'll keep you guys updated if I think of one.

Oh, one more thing worth noting: The Bronze Citadel. Its origins are intentionally vague as all heck and almost certainly tied into the mythical history of the Glazfell before it froze over, but I think I'll leave the details up to Morph and/or everyone else with ideas.

One kooky idea I've been thinking about, though: What if the Lord of Fire really did smite the ancient masters of the land, for playing God and irresponsibly using Old Magic to grant sentience to everything in sight? Just a thought.
    I've insinuated in my latest Bestiary post that the beastfolk may be the result of an ancient fae kingdom playing around with creating super soldiers by fusing fae with beasts but left it pretty vague overall. I've also concluded the lizardfolk to be a separate entity entirely, perhaps the inspiration of the fae kingdom to begin dabbling in the idea? And since I've linked this possible fae kingdom to also being made up of Berapi that just makes it fit all the more. Of course the minotaurs way down south kinda messes that up, but they could be separate in origin like the lizardfolk are. After all, it fits with your idea of a smiting since I feel like the general agreed thing is that the beginning of the calendar was the year following some great doom event. Referred to as The Cataclysm by Hurosha and Ignato histories. Could be Fire Lord related.

That's my speculation on the beastfolk origins and calendar start date anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    I've insinuated in my latest Bestiary post that the beastfolk may be the result of an ancient fae kingdom playing around with creating super soldiers by fusing fae with beasts but left it pretty vague overall. And since I've linked this possible fae kingdom to also being made up of Berapi that just makes it fit all the more.

Of course the minotaurs way down south kinda messes that up, but they could be separate in origin like the lizardfolk are. After all, it fits with your idea of a smiting since I feel like the general agreed thing is that the beginning of the calendar was the year following some great doom event.
    I didn't know there was a third entry in your scholar's speculations until just now.

Anyway, I didn't necessarily mean a literal smiting, though that's obviously possible in a setting where the gods are confirmed to exist on some level. It could also have been a more traditional cataclysm that simply was interpreted as a smiting. That happens sometimes.

Also, I'm not really concerned about the Minotaurs not fitting into the same general geographic area as the rest of the Beastfolk. After all, it's been a long time and massive catastrophes have a way of spreading people around. Further, cattle are herd animals; if they moved, it makes sense that they would move as a group without leaving too many live members behind.

Another question to provoke some thought: What of the Tieflings? Or "Lesser" Tieflings, I guess. While the term itself is rooted in Dungeons and Dragons as a race of fiend-blooded humans, it roughly translates from German as "Deepling". (I think. I'm not exactly a fluent speaker.)

If they're actually "Deeplings", I wonder if they're more closely related to the Eyrecradian elves (or even the world's Dwarves!) than anything else. Or, to go in a completely different direction, what if they're some kind of Earth Berapi?
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-04-09 at 03:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

If stuff I am planning on adding is acceptable, I was actually thinking of making a sort of earthen berapi for region 20B, since I am colonizing it next turn. Basically, my idea was that they are pretty human shaped, but possess stone-like skin and geode-like protrusions on certain parts of their bodies. I have a reference pic, somewhere, although if I can find it is another story.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The third entry only went up today so the fact that you know it today is actually impressive haha

In regards to the tieflings I had been thinking since they weren't explicitly described in their nation post as anything overly demonic or non-human they might simply be humans who took to calling themselves tieflings for some reason or another, perhaps after some city named Tief or some such. (Maybe an underground city similar to Hrathan in Hrathan-Tuor thus relating them to the speculative eastern continental human empire of ages gone by) Obviously they could be earthen Berapi as well. I'm thinking with their enigmatic culture and the probability that tortor may not be returning it will fall to the claimant of the region to decide what they truly are beyond the veil of mystery.

I like the idea that the minotaurs are herd based and thus migrated wholly and completely together. Plus it allows them to be related to the other beastfolk races just greatly separated. Though, considering their hybrids with a herbivore animal it may be that they had a different origin entirely from the carnivorous/omnivorous beastfolk of the east. (Beasts in the East, how did I only just now notice that)

Also, I think I'm going to make a timeline for my provinces soon. They seem mighty handy.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the idea of refluffing the Tieflings as a type of berapi the first time you brought it up. In order to keep them similar to the dnd version, at least visually, perhaps they could have horns and hooves of stone or gems? Cave adaptation could lend to an affinity for the dark on top of that.

As for Genivana the main points in history that I have set in stone are thus

0 CE - Lost Laan Qing colonists are shipwrecked on the shores of Genivana. They survive with no small help from local mawa tribes.

40 CE - The city-state of Dvipabedapura is founded

251 CE - The humans and mawa unify into one kingdom under the name of Genivana, with the marriage of Tendaji Nia and Akansha Rohana.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

215 BCE - The Bereginians under Celero are discovered. Some interbreeding occurs.

130 BCE - The Bereginian trait of webbed hands and feet begins to assert itself in many of the people of Celero.

65 BCE - The Celero civil war starts between noble families of Stopes, Noth, Qura, Bralt and Ingel.

1 CE - The Noth Family comes to power after decades of civil wars primarily through diplomacy. House Bralt is no more.

295 CE - A large but radical sect of Lord of Fire worshipers claim friendship to travel to fight an unknown enemy in the west. King Rothorn the Tired grants them passage, and the army occupies Celero for many years, killing, torturing and maiming its inhabitants for nearly 30 years.
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-04-09 at 05:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

14. - Top - End - #14

148 BCE- Cataclysmic destruction of Derriel; most survivors disperse, but Bordeusi ancestors settle the land where it once stood, eventually forgetting the location.

230 CE- Lord James the Forger unites the six families of Bordeux in response to invasion by a Khater horde, then spends the rest of his life solidifying his control over Bordeux.

315 CE- Simon the Diplomat unites Bordeux as the solid political entity it is today through favorable trade deals, marriage and rightful rule. What the historian doesn't say is what happened to the seventh family.

15. - Top - End - #15

I just had an idea; what with me just gaining access to the printing press, and thus easy access to book writing and woodcuts, would anyone mind if I made this project a (slightly embellished and luridly woodcut) Razdissi book?

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    215 BCE - The Bereginians under Celero are discovered. Some interbreeding occurs.

130 BCE - The Bereginian trait of webbed hands and feet begins to assert itself in many of the people of Celero.
    And here I always thought the webbing might've come from the Islanders.

With regards to the Berapi, my personal theories are two. The first being that they're aligned with the energies of the scientific universe and thus you have heat-related berapi (fire and frost), light (light and darkness), electromagnetic (lightning) and even gravitic berapi.

The second being they're aligned with some divine force, which is why all berapi seem to be deeply religious. (Fire berapi with the Lord of Fire, frost berapi with Yphine, etc.)
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I do quite like the concept of gem horns and stone hooves. That's a very cool picture in my mind and makes me wish I could draw.

Alright big historical points, let's see.

Woodwind History

30 CE - Colonists/Escaping Refugees (texts are unclear on this point) flee the nation of Kell heading north along the coast western coast of the central continent in simple boats. Fearing the tangled jungles of modern day Genivana they continue further at the coast of many lives before landing on the shores of modern day Aloren/Woodwind.

32 CE - The first small villages along the coast of Aloren and Woodwind begin to develop into small cities concentrated on fishing and the more adventurous or rebellious among the settlers head inland and establish small communities within the woods.

140 CE - The first attempts to establish anything beyond simple sustenance fishing villages is begun by the First Khan Ignato who organizes the villages along the Woodwind coast, halted from going further south by the already more advanced Aloren developments and north by the great Stone Table and a Nyroth fort. Instead the first Khan pushes inland and reunites the woodland tribes with their coastal brothers establishing for the first time Woodwind proper in an approximation similar to the known modern day region.

150 CE - Water's Watch is constructed along the coast and becomes the capital of Woodwind.

163 CE - A Great Storm buffets the coast and Water's Watch provides shelter for many, establishing the First Khan as a deified personification of Ignatumna the grandest spirit of Woodwind.

216 CE - A civil war erupts amongst the coastal cities of modern day Woodwind leading to the eventual expulsion of a large group of aggressive raiders, the Khater, predecessors to the modern day Cree.

240 CE - Large scale efforts to coordinate the resources of the region begin and the people begin to grow closer as a region than remaining as loosely associated power blocs as they had for so long.

270 CE - Rising nations around Woodwind prompts Khan Dyamus Ignato's father to begin researching their neighbors.

330 CE - Khan Dyamus Ignato takes over as Khan of Woodwind

Aloren History

30 CE - Colonists/Escaping Refugees (texts are unclear on this point) flee the nation of Kell heading north along the coast western coast of the central continent in simple boats. Fearing the tangled jungles of modern day Genivana they continue further at the coast of many lives before landing on the shores of modern day Aloren/Woodwind.

32 CE - The first small villages along the coast of Aloren and Woodwind begin to develop into small cities concentrated on fishing attempts to move inland away from the craggy ocean side cliffs is met with tales of lost people and devilish little lizardmen abducting those foolish enough to venture to their territory, quickly the lesson of staying on the coast is ingrained within the people's minds.

45 CE - The modern practice of Aloren goat herding begins and seas the growth of cities in less optimal places for fishing but more optimal for defense and unification.

63 CE - The city-state of Shael begins to win political dominance among the other city-states.

70 CE - The King of Shael becomes King of Aloren, and unifies the people.

85 CE - The first druid-shamans begin to arise in the lands outside the city-states, but their teachings quickly gain a foothold and they are integrated and accepted into the political system.

120 CE - The current King of Shael launches an expedition to the mountain seen to be deep in the woods and these explorers never return.

138 CE - Unable to expand over land the Aloren people begin to expand their minds, taking up writing for leisure and establishing a rich mythological history to match their druidic faith.

200 CE - A rash of assassinations amongst the nobles of the Aloren cities prompts increased paranoia and fracturing amongst the leadership of Aloren.

210 CE - The current King of Shael is assassinated and his young son replaces him, raising the first of the King's Guard, a number of guards numbering in the hundreds with the sole purpose of protecting the king. Other city-state nobles follow suit.

268 CE - Minor trade with Woodwind and Genivana begin to take place.

327 CE - The city nobles face a loss of power and armies begin to be raised under the banner of the King's Guard.

329 CE - The King of Shael is again assassinated and the young Malyn Shaeldtae takes the throne.

I'll do Nyroth later since there's will be rather different.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

This is what I have so far for the first Razdissi book:
    [Woodcuts indicated with square brackets, like this.]

A Brief And Selected Overview Of The History Of Telluris

[The cover shows a woodcut of all the world's major nations personified in stereotypical national costume.]

Compiled and partially penned by Albrek of the Buried Lord Clan.
    Spoiler: The text:
    Show

[Rather poorly-researched woodcut of the known portions of Telluris; several countries are mixed up and the central Salterri islands are shown upside down and marked 'Southron Isles']

148 BCE- Cataclysmic destruction of Derriel; most survivors disperse, but Bordeusi ancestors settle the land where it once stood, eventually forgetting the location.

[Woodcut of a city sinking into the ground]

65 BCE - The Celero civil war starts between noble families of Stopes, Noth, Qura, Bralt and Ingel.

[Stylised woodcut of the arms of each house]

0 CE - Lost Laan Qing colonists are shipwrecked on the shores of Genivana. They survive with no small help from local mawa tribes.

1 CE - The Noth Family comes to power in Celero after decades of civil wars primarily through diplomacy. House Bralt is no more.

7 CE - The future Razdissi arrived in Eyrecradia, which at that time composed both the area beneath the Heartwaste and below what is now Lyradis. They came from Sulvan's Fury, led by Lord Vindael the Unbroken. Theories why they left abound; most centre around Vindael's opposition to the Lord of Fire, and subsequent voluntary exile with his clan. The dwarves intermarry extensively with the Eyrecradian Ore Elves, creating grey-skinned dwarves of slightly taller stature than normal, phenomenal vision in complete darkness and a shorter lifespan due to the conflicting metabolisms of the two races. The elven leaders of the time were Aerith Vel'Xorrith (chief of the Ore Elves), Elric Turienth (Chief of the Moss Elves) and Ilithean Benxia (chief of the Gem Elves). The dwarves dwell mainly beneath the Dis mountains, and the elves below the Heartwaste.

32 CE - The first small villages along the coast of Aloren and Woodwind begin to develop into small cities concentrated on fishing and the more adventurous or rebellious among the settlers head inland and establish small communities within the woods.

36 CE - The dwarves adopt clans, mimicking the divisions of the elves. The first are the Unbroken Line, Nine Spears, and Ancient Delving clans. More swiftly follow as the clans split and Balkanise. The first records of Keldagrim dwarves are found dating from this era; a possible link?

[Stylised woodcut of the arms of each clan]

40 CE - The city-state of Dvipabedapura is founded in Genivana.

[Woodcut map of Dvipabedapura]

42 CE – The Grand Kingdom of Lyradis is founded consisting of regions 61, 62, 63, and 64. Named for the inland sea named Lyr, and the Mountains of Discord, named for the rocks, which ring different notes when struck.

45 CE - The modern practice of Aloren goat herding begins and sees the growth of cities in less optimal places for fishing but more optimal for defense and unification.

63 CE - The city-state of Shael begins to win political dominance among the other city-states.

[Woodcut of the coats of arms of the city states, Shael's largest and central]

70 CE - The King of Shael becomes King of Aloren, and unifies the people.

85 CE - The first druid-shamans begin to arise in the lands outside the city-states, but their teachings quickly gain a foothold and they are integrated and accepted into the political system.

112 CE – Lyradis’ only ally, Farridon, joins the Grand Kingdom of Kell, but maintains trade relations with Lyradis.

113 CE - The Razdissi separate from Eyrecradia, existing only in the caves beneath the Discord Mountains. This is due to an immense earthquake, splitting them apart forcibly. This is blamed on the Lord of Fire's temple standing nearby. Andbar of the Unbroken Line Clan was the first Mormaer, a title taken from truly archaic and outmoded Sulvan; a modern Sulvan wouldn't understand the meaning at all. It would be like calling a modern Khan of Woodwind a 'giver of rings.' Finbael of the Ancient Delving Clan was the first to explore all the major tunnels, discovering the Deep named after him and dying in a madhouse because of it.

118 CE – Farridon cuts off trade relations without warning. No reasons are given, and messengers are turned away from the borders of the region.

120 CE – A messenger arrives to the Kingdom and treats with the King to join the Grand Kingdom of Kell. Stipulates that is Lyradis joins, trade will be restored with Farridon. The King denies this offer, refusing to succumb to bullying by the nation.

[Fanciful and dramatised woodcut of the scene]

120 CE - The current King of Shael launches an expedition to the mountain seen to be deep in the woods and these explorers never return.

123 CE – Lyradis tries extending diplomacy to neighboring regions to ask for support, as there is worry Kell will invade. No nations are willing. The King of Lyradis sends his only son to Farridon to try and convince them to secede from the Kingdom of Kell. The Prince is captured and imprisoned.

129 CE – Farridon releases the Prince, who is in poor condition. The former ruler sends a message with him saying he apologizes, but it is out of his hands. The best he could do is convince Kell to release the Prince. The Prince dies of malnutrition and disease 3 weeks later.

130 CE – Lyradis immediately begins construction of defenses, and gearing up to defend their country. In secret, the King begins construction of an escape route for his people.

133 CE – Lyradis’ regions, one by one, are invaded by the Kells, whom have a far superior strength in comparison with Lyradis.

[Woodcut of the Kell's invasion]

138 CE - Unable to expand over land the Aloren people begin to expand their minds, taking up writing for leisure and establishing a rich mythological history to match their druidic faith.

140 CE - The first attempts to establish anything beyond simple sustenance fishing villages is begun by the First Khan Ignato who organizes the villages along the Woodwind coast, halted from going further south by the already more advanced Aloren developments and north by the great Stone Table and a Nyroth fort. Instead the first Khan pushes inland and reunites the woodland tribes with their coastal brothers establishing for the first time Woodwind proper in an approximation similar to the known modern day region.

150 CE - Water's Watch is constructed along the coast and becomes the capital of Woodwind.

151 CE – The Lyradissian’s Military knowing they are outnumbered, use the mountainous land as a strategic advantage to hold off the invasion. After several back and forth battles, the Kell’s eventually overwhelm the lines and close in on Lyradis proper, their numbers too great.

160 CE – Population of Lyradis abandons their country, fleeing from the invading Nation of Kell. Half the population is killed outright in the panic and war. The remains of the military gather for a last stand to allow the citizens to escape.

161 CE – Lyradissians wander through the wilds of regions 30, 31, 33, 34, and others, attempting to put as much distance from the Kell’s as possible, and seeking aid from other nations.

[Woodcut of wandering Lyradissians]

163 CE - A Great Storm buffets the coast and Water's Watch provides shelter for many, establishing the First Khan as a deified personification of Ignatumna the grandest spirit of Woodwind.
    [Woodcut of Ignatumna as a great boar]

194 CE – Bands of Lyradissian refugees enter Qarimos, seeking aid in finding new home. Some Lyradissians sail eastward, attempting to find lands far away. The others turn inland, and rumors of a large mountain region to the north attracts the Lyradissians northwards. A few groups of Qarimosi opt to also move inland with them, and leave the sea behind.

200 CE – Encounter the Raaneki while they wander, some travel with Lyradissian’s to protect them and assist them in finding a new land. Some Lyradissians and Qarimosi settle in Raaneka.

200 CE - A rash of assassinations amongst the nobles of the Aloren cities prompts increased paranoia and fracturing amongst the leadership of Aloren.

204 CE – Settling of Region 13, encounter Dwarves in the mountains. A small plateau is named “Aldric’s Crest” in honor of the former Crest in Old Lyradis. The Crest is a shadow of the vastness of the one in Old Lyradis.

204 CE - Lyradisians settle above Razdis; the two peoples become staunch allies and intermarry extensively.

[Woodcut of Mormaer Andbar II embracing the Lyradissian leader]

210 CE - The current King of Shael is assassinated and his young son replaces him, raising the first of the King's Guard, a number of guards numbering in the hundreds with the sole purpose of protecting the king. Other city-state nobles follow suit.

216 CE - A civil war erupts amongst the coastal cities of modern day Woodwind leading to the eventual expulsion of a large group of aggressive raiders, the Khater, predecessors to the modern day Cree.

230 CE- Lord James the Forger unites the six families of Bordeux in response to invasion by a Khater horde, then spends the rest of his life solidifying his control over Bordeux.

240 CE – Founding of New Lyradis, with Aldric Serendel, first Lord of the scattered peoples within the region. Kingdom officially allies with the Dwarves of Razdis, and Aldric takes a Razdissi for his wife.

240 CE - Large scale efforts to coordinate the resources of the region begin and the people begin to grow closer as a region than remaining as loosely associated power blocs as they had for so long.

251 CE - The humans and mawa unify into one kingdom under the name of Genivana, with the marriage of Tendaji Nia and Akansha Rohana.

255 CE – Lyradis encounters the temple of the Lord of Fire to the North, and begin learning about the religion.

265 CE – Aldric Serendel passes the crown onto his son, Darien Serendel.

268 CE - Minor trade with Woodwind and Genivana by Aloren begins to take place.

269 CE – Aldric Serendel dies of old age.

270 CE - Rising nations around Woodwind prompts Khan Dyamus Ignato's father to begin researching their neighbors.

272 CE – New Lyradis completely accepts the Lord of Fire as the national religion.

294 CE – Lord Darien Serendel is killed by large monsters while clearing a section of forests in the Great Wood of Lyradis. Rimidin inherits the throne, and forbids the continued clearing of forests, due to the danger of the region.

[Wholly fabricated and sensationalist woodcut of Darien's assault by monsters]

295 CE - A large but radical sect of Lord of Fire worshipers claim friendship to travel to fight an unknown enemy in the west. King Rothorn the Tired grants them passage, and the army occupies Celero for many years, killing, torturing and maiming its inhabitants for nearly 30 years.

310 CE – Lord Rimidin Serendel dies by illness from a winter fever. His lung collapsed and he suffocated. His son, Gareth, inherits the throne.

315 CE- Simon the Diplomat unites Bordeux as the solid political entity it is today through favorable trade deals, marriage and rightful rule.

327 CE - The city nobles face a loss of power and armies begin to be raised under the banner of the King's Guard.

[Woodcut of the arms and equipment of a King's Guard]

329 CE - The King of Shael is again assassinated and the young Malyn Shaeldtae takes the throne.

330 CE – Lord Gareth, having inherited the kingdom early and amidst chaos when he came to power, changes the way succession works. Instead, it is by choice of the current ruler who gains the throne, chosen by who would most benefit the nation.

330 CE - Khan Dyamus Ignato takes over as Khan of Woodwind.

[Woodcut of the Khan as a young man]

331 CE – Construction begins on Aldric’s Crest to make it more fortified, a preventative measure that was never finished in Old Lyradis.

336 CE - Gareth hosts a Grand Ball to further diplomatic ties, so that Lyradis will never once again stand alone. Several nations ruling families marry into the Serendel line, including Kasumor, Qarimos, and Ashenia. Gareth also begins work on a secret project.

[Woodcut of the ball, featuring prominently the Blazing Avatar's grand entrance]

348 CE – The Dawn League is created by Gareth, between Raaneka, Qarimos, and Razdis – Lyradis’ closest allies.

[Well-executed woodcut of the ruler of each nation at the time]

355 CE – Lord Gareth Serendel chooses his daughter to be his successor, and Lyra Serendel becomes the first Lady of Lyradis. Lyra, knowing about her nation’s past, begins exploring the southern coasts in search of their abandoned homelands and the people who sailed west at Qarimos.

356 CE – Construction of the Crest Fortifications are completed, Lyra begins work on a Training University for the Creatures of Tyllurius.

364 CE – Lord Gareth Serendel burns to death by his own hand to protest the The Great Tellurian War, and in some accounts, this is a major reason the end occurs.

[Woodcut of the burning]
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-04-10 at 06:52 AM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

With regards to the Berapi, my personal theories are two. The first being that they're aligned with the energies of the scientific universe and thus you have heat-related berapi (fire and frost), light (light and darkness), electromagnetic (lightning) and even gravitic berapi.

The second being they're aligned with some divine force, which is why all berapi seem to be deeply religious. (Fire berapi with the Lord of Fire, frost berapi with Yphine, etc.)
    I noticed that the Beregines had webbed fingers and toes as well, and surmised that the Celerii likely got it from them. I had no history of the Islanders at the time, but as far as the people of Celero are concerned, they are not a people in diaspora from the south, like a great many of these other cultures. It could be possible, but if that is the case, then they were among the first refugees from long ago, as their skin and hair has lightened as a result of the smaller ultraviolet radiation. Also, if all humans come from the Salterri lands, then the average Celero citizen would deny it.

And the theory I am running with is that the Beregines are a cross-breed of Water Berapi and Dwarves.
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-04-09 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Two things, about my stuff, anyway, Silver: First the destruction is less explosion-y and more sinking into the ground. Second, you can remove the part abou the "seventh family". That was me making a bad joke.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed that the Beregines had webbed fingers and toes as well, and surmised that the Celerii likely got it from them. I had no history of the Islanders at the time, but as far as the people of Celero are concerned, they are not a people in diaspora from the south, like a great many of these other cultures. It could be possible, but if that is the case, then they were among the first refugees from long ago, as their skin and hair has lightened as a result of the smaller ultraviolet radiation. Also, if all humans come from the Salterri lands, then the average Celero citizen would deny it.

And the theory I am running with is that the Beregines are a cross-breed of Water Berapi and Dwarves.
    If we go with Morph's idea that berapi are naturally religious then perhaps that could be why the fire worshippers committed those atrocities in Celero. The water berapi worship a water deity, though that is a distant memory(because there were never all that many water berapi there) but whispers of it were enough to cause trouble.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    If we go with Morph's idea that berapi are naturally religious then perhaps that could be why the fire worshippers committed those atrocities in Celero. The water berapi worship a water deity, though that is a distant memory(because there were never all that many water berapi there) but whispers of it were enough to cause trouble.
    With everything we have already, that isn't Mich of a leap in logic to make. It fits the available information, and brings a more sensical motive to the Cult of the Flame.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I've kinda been running with the idea that the lighter skinned humans, the Celerese, the Bordeux, the Ashene, are related to the humans to the south only in the strictest of sense. IE, they traveled to the western continent its crux around Celero at the equivalent time of an ice age compared to current time. Thousands and thousands of years ago. As such they're pretty much their own distinctive human racial makeup very different from the south-central humans. They're Europoeans, the south central humans are more African in origin. Obviously all human and thus came from a shared ancestry but such a distant one as to not be related with one another casually.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I quite like this. The description of the Beregines is not-Dwarf enough that they could be part Berapi. They seem almost Dwarven without being explicitly called Dwarves so having them be a hybrid race like that would explain that disparity and give a good reason for the Fire Zealots to have come and been jerks in Celero if, as zab said, we go with Morph's idea of having the Berapi be naturally inclined toward religious practices that align with their native element.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Personally, I do like the idea of a Berapi being tied to the scientific universe; having gravitational beings sounds interesting. But, perhaps "Berapi" isn't necessarily just a race; it could be a form of transcendence. As one becomes more and more religious, they may perform certain rites to gain the traits of their god, while losing certain others. For example, frosten Berapi could have a strong endurance to cold, but react badly to open flames and heat.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Personally, I do like the idea of a Berapi being tied to the scientific universe; having gravitational beings sounds interesting. But, perhaps "Berapi" isn't necessarily just a race; it could be a form of transcendence. As one becomes more and more religious, they may perform certain rites to gain the traits of their god, while losing certain others. For example, frosten Berapi could have a strong endurance to cold, but react badly to open flames and heat.
    Well, the Frosten already explicitly do that, kinda. They don't literally melt or anything, but they retain and absorb heat so well that their skin is cold to the touch. This would be a bad thing in, say, Raaneka.

Not fond of the ritual angle myself, though. Maybe originally, but I think it at least breeds true.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Well, the Frosten already explicitly do that, kinda. They don't literally melt or anything, but they retain and absorb heat so well that their skin is cold to the touch. This would be a bad thing in, say, Raaneka.

Not fond of the ritual angle myself, though. Maybe originally, but I think it at least breeds true.
    Well, yes it breeds true, but I was thinking more along the lines of modern peoples showing devotion to their god through a ritualistic bonding to the element.. Actually, that scroll Morph sent you could be a good tie in to that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Being able to turn into a spirit/element aligned race seems pretty magical for the current setting. Maybe a leader could do it if they wanted to and had the Faith/Luck score to pull it off, but in general I feel it's a tad magical for current things.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah... The Ashenites don't share a recent common origin with those of the South. Unfortunately, something happened nearly four hundred years ago* that destroyed the old Ashenite capital of Redrisakand, and with it what were presumably records going back to its foundation centuries before. Unfortunately, this was a time when scholarship in Ashenia was limited and few outside the old capital felt the need to write anything down as they were a much simpler people then. As such, the rest is based on fragmentary documents, oral histories, songs and mythical accounts of the deeds of various noble ancestors and is thus not necessarily true.
    About eight hundred years before the calamity (actually closer to six hundred), the Ashene crossed the mountains to the West, and finding good pasture and verdant valleys, stopped their migration from their ancient homeland situated "where the Sun rests" (it's near the sea that will be where Australia is). On their journey, they had met many different peoples, but no land empty enough for them to make their own until the harsh passage over the mountains (the legends say the mountain peaks pierced the sky itself and that howling spirits of ice and wind raged through the passes, clearly they exaggerate stories of the mountains being shrouded by clouds and the howling winds and avalanches the people had to deal with).
    The people chose Shenath, the fearless leader who had guided them through the hardships of the latter part of their journey, as their king, and upon his death, the land was divided among his fifteen children with the eldest being placed into a position of leadership over his siblings, thus forming the thirteen noble dynasties of Ashenia and Hazaria. Over time, the difficulty of travelling South across the Marilath made contact with the Southern clans difficult and royal authority soon became a distant memory in that region, its name even being forgotten to those who lived in the North.
    Four hundred years before the as yet undetermined calamity, Redrisakand was founded on the plains of Ashenia where they come right up against the mountains. Legends paint its splendour as being unequalled throughout the world and it was here where writing and asceticism were first developed. More importantly though, it inspired the other nobles to settle down from their semi-nomadic lives and establish their own fortress cities in imitation. With this development, the heads of each dynasty were declared Castellans, sworn to safeguard the land under their control.
    This of course meant very little as Ashenia had few neighbours at this point. Until, that is, the calamity struck and Redrisakand and the royal family were all but erased from existence. With no central leadership, the land fragmented into twelve pieces as the various Castellans vied for the throne. Over a period of fifty years, Ashenia was in a state of constant low-level civil war, ending with the rise of the House Toranath to ascendency over the other great houses through diplomacy, wisdom and honourable dealings, much to the chagrin of the House Neram, who seceded to form the Principality of Eseda, only to be conquered one hundred years later and their lands added to those of House Toranath.

*I'm going with the idea that the calamity occurred at the start of the current count of years and that the destruction and loss of life was widespread.

Anyways, will add more history and clarify that later as I am well aware it is a confusing wall of text.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Given the Islanders tendency to sleep with anything that has appropriately matching parts, it isn't impossible.

Where I was going was that the Islanders and the Quill are really one people. At some point, they interbred with 'something' along the lines of elemental spirits (earth air fire water), thus being the basis for their faith. But that caused genetic diversity. THe Quill were noted to abandon malformed infants. So it is possible that at some point in their history, they drove the 'unpure' out and those cast offs became the Islanders, hence giving them their cultural background of taking in anyone willing to join them.

The islanders are mostly human, with the exception of their barrel chests (lungs and ribs capable of deepd water diving for long periods, like whales), webbed hands and feet (to varying degrees) and second eyelids.

Now, the islanders have been pirates and raiders for centuries, so their blood is intermixed with many folk along the shores of the Central Sea. The traits above tend to breed true and carry over.

I've been hinting that the Cloudiz from Kasumor might be the 'fae' that they interbred with. Again, the Kasumori have a strong alignment to the 4 elements that both the Quill and the Islanders worship. Some of them even have gills!
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Knowing what kicked off the calendar would certainly be nice so as to build around it and incorporate it into things. I like the way humans are being handled so far though with the fair skinned and haired ones being long removed and the darker people's originating in the south central continent. Ah, world building, ain't it grand?

I was also thinking the islanders seemed to have some fae influence which would fit with there having been a fae empire way back that stretched wide east and west across the central continent with some tendrils on the coasts of the other continents.

Spoiler
    Show