Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Civilization thread: gaelic slimes edition.

So, I know this has been done before, but I guess I could try my hand at it.

For the uninitiated, this game spawned from (as far as I know) the /tg/ board of 4chan. The concept behind it is that you act as a voice in a council that decided the fate and actions of a tribe. I, as the DM, tell you about the situation (place the group is in, food stocks, techonology researched...), and you, the players, decide on what to do next, where to allocate your human resources, what to give priority to... Ideally this would be by reaching a consensus among the many players, but for the sake of fluidity and to get rid of clutter, the first option to be supported by three players is the one IŽll get.

So I want to play. What do I do?
    No inscription processes here. Jump in, inform yourself a bit about the situation and speak your mind, even if you werenŽt here at the start of the thread. Try not to screw the tribe as a whole for the lulz and probably your ideas will find a way in.

Now, on to the game proper...
    (image is too large to put here, and IŽm a bit pressed for time, so youŽll have to click on the link and vote)

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/imag...3876956248.jpg

Pick a race and location. First option to get three votes is the one weŽll roll with.

Go!
    Last edited by DeZako; 2014-04-22 at 01:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Civilization building game

Skaven, Subterranean.
    Avatar by Pessimismrocks. Thanks!
    The first rule of unarmed combat: Don't be unarmed.
    Insert generic comment about giving in and getting a homebrewer's extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Slime, Floating Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am an 11/11/12/15/12/14 LG Wiz 1/Clr 1

I have invented a new pronoun. is to be referred to as V/vim/vis/vis/vimself instead of he/him/his/his/himself or she/her/her/hers/herself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Will wait for some more votes. Great to see I got the ball rolling!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Holy pasta I am the luckiest man alive to find this thread

That being said, I want to see this starting as soon as possible, so I'll support the Slimes in Floating Islands. Say, DeZako, how lenient are you with magic and/or technology? Read: what awesome stuff can we get through research, which will be my main target throughout the game?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

WeŽll see, but in tech I am willing to go up to renaissance levels of technology, so that means muskets and gunpowder for you. Magic is going to be powerful, and IŽll try to come up with interesting spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Since they have practically the same kinds of bonuses anyway, I'll support the slimes and flying islands to get things moving.
    Avatar by Pessimismrocks. Thanks!
    The first rule of unarmed combat: Don't be unarmed.
    Insert generic comment about giving in and getting a homebrewer's extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Great. Slimes, flying island. Go!

Your tribe wakes up in a flat surface covered in grass. You do not know how you got here, or anything about your previous life for that matter. All you see is grass, a forest to the north and, towering over said forest, a mountain.

You feel hungry, and by the looks of it, so does the rest of the tribe. You're also feeling drier than you're comfortable with. You will survive, but you'd feel much better if you find a water source, and the sooner...

You have twenty adult slimes (anthropomorphic)
    Food is scarce and the tribe is complaining. They also need water and housing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Grass, uh. Which means no food source around, so I guess we're heading towards the forest.

Unless... say, how complete do we need to stay? As in, can one of us just go through the earth, since we're liquid and all, and check if there are any insects in there?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

These slimes are more gelatinous than liquid. They are more dense than water, and thus, unable to go through large masses of matter. A couple layers of cloth, or a chainmail maybe, but not dirt.

edit: friendly reminder: you have to cast some votes on the preffered course of action. Also bumping.
    Last edited by DeZako; 2014-04-11 at 06:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Then ahoy, to the Forest !

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I vote for the Forest. 'Cause there's nothing else.
    Dubbed Most Honourable Aggregate of All Things Targ in the Title Thread. Also dubbed the Mage of Light, which is really cool.

Earned a special cookie for reaching 50 in the Count to 50 thread. Got a waffle too!

The human avatar is thanks to the talented The Mad Hatter; the ponytar, the incredible Dirtytabs.

I'm a White Mage in real life too! Here are my spells. BE WARNED: SOME OF THEM ARE REAL AND WILL AFFECT YOU IF READ. http://merlinsalchemyoflight.blogspot.co.uk/

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Forest, so say us all!
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Great, to the forest it is.

You lead your tribe further inside the forest. Birds chirp cheerily left and right, and you soon find a beaten path. You spot some tracks, of a bipedal being. It also looks vaguely like the claw of a chicken, but turned up to eleven in terms of size. Upon closer inspection, one of the hunters tells you this track is recent, but that this path isnŽt precisely a highly traversed road. Further down the path, you find a clearing, with a small promontory in the middle. The only path leading to it is the one you came through.

What will the tribe do?
    Gather
    Hunt
    Explore
    Research
    Build
    Other (specify)

Some info on the tribe

Population:20 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 10 civilians, 5 children)
    Items: 5 crude spears
    Food: None, you better find some!
    Current occupations: All the tribe is travelling.
    Tech: crude weapons and tools.

Current known terrain:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

By the oily beard of Slimea, they be giant flying chickenlike monsters !

>Gather

Yeah, changed my vote. Old habits kicking in, didn't realize there was another option to get food.
    Last edited by Darklim; 2014-04-12 at 11:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

We have no idea what dangerous things might be around. Let's gather instead.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Gather +1.
    Dubbed Most Honourable Aggregate of All Things Targ in the Title Thread. Also dubbed the Mage of Light, which is really cool.

Earned a special cookie for reaching 50 in the Count to 50 thread. Got a waffle too!

The human avatar is thanks to the talented The Mad Hatter; the ponytar, the incredible Dirtytabs.

I'm a White Mage in real life too! Here are my spells. BE WARNED: SOME OF THEM ARE REAL AND WILL AFFECT YOU IF READ. http://merlinsalchemyoflight.blogspot.co.uk/

18. - Top - End - #18

Sure, count me down for gather as well.

Side notes for my fellow players:
    *What do you think of the tracks? Are we assuming megafauna, friendlies, or something more nefarious?
    *Do we want to explore, and if so, who do we send? This leads to another question,
    *Do we assume it's safe enough to use the military as scouts? Or should we wait and build up the military, so we can leave some behind.
    *Do we want to settle in the clearing or not?

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

I have invented a new pronoun. is to be referred to as V/vim/vis/vis/vimself instead of he/him/his/his/himself or she/her/her/hers/herself

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

You command the tribe to gather food and wood to start a fire. Soon, you find yourself with enough food for two days. One of the last gatherers brings eggs, and reports that when he climbed the tree the nest was sitting in, he saw a small lake beneath a waterfall.

What are the orders?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

The tracks, I consider, to be a harpy sign. They're huge avian creatures. Not sure how they get on with slimes.

If we send explorers out we send the military. They're trained for it. Certainly we don't send the kids and the civvies are needed for fortifying our position. I wouldn't be against scouting out with two military at this time, but until we find water and a chance to bulk up our people we should be careful.

I'm not against settling here, if we can find a reliable food source, But we should first ascertain what the large tracks are - no sense pitching our tent over a nest of vipers.

21. - Top - End - #21

Let's head toward the lake. Even if it's already inhabited, surely they'd be more welcoming to fellow semi-aquatic creatures. Right?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Agreed, we need water - we're slimes! To the lake.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Forgot to vote : ahoy, to the lake !

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The tribe decides to head for said lake, almost dehydrated from the trip. Following the description of the gatherer that first spotted the lake, you journey to the northeast, anxious to feel the refreshment of clear water. Following a path, the tribe turns to the right, and finds itself in the path of a humanoid being, although avian in appearance. It stands a little taller than the average member of your tribe, and is wearing some rudinentary clothing.

It soon lets out some sort of panicked bellow and runs into the woods.

The tribe marches forward, a bit frightened now due to the discovery of possibly hostile neighbors, and soon you find the lake. It is a beautiful sight, for sure, the waterfall ending in a cloud , and water flowing smoothly from that point. A small river flows from the lake to the south.

What to do now?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Can we breathe underwater? In that case, I suggest not capitalizing too much on the land, developing digging tools as soon as possible, then go living in caves dug under the lake.

And if we don't, then too bad. In both cases, we start building huts and defences for the night, with some wood I think.
    Last edited by Darklim; 2014-04-13 at 12:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Darklim View Post
    Can we breathe underwater? In that case, I suggest not capitalizing too much on the land, developing digging tools as soon as possible, then go living in caves dug under the lake.

And if we don't, then too bad. In both cases, we start building huts and defences for the night, with some wood I think.
    I second this.

I also suggest that if the harpies come back, that we try negotiation first. If we can befriend them, they could be valuable allies.

DeZako, my questions about us:
    *How much sleep do we need?
    *Can we breathe underwater?
    *What do our shapeshifting powers entail?
    *In general, what magic do we have?
    Last edited by Razanir; 2014-04-13 at 12:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Answers post:
    -No, you can't LIVE underwater. You can remain submerged much longer than any other non-aquatic race, but you still need to surface every half an hour or so.
    -You need about 6 hours of sleep.
    -You can transform your shape, but not your color/texture/smell... and even then, you have to retain the same volume across shapes.
    -None at the moment, magic takes some research to develop.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

two questions:
    1. can we move faster in the water than on land (and if so, by how much)?
    2. which of these two counts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeZako View Post
    You have twenty adult slimes (anthropomorphic)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeZako View Post
    Population:20 anthropomorphic slimes (5 warriors, 10 civilians, 5 children)
    also, i suggest we dig narrow (but possibly deep) channels all through the settlement and around it so we have better access to water and can easily evacuate into the lake if need be.
    Last edited by Fion MacCumhail; 2014-04-13 at 04:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fion MacCumhail View Post
    two questions:
    1. can we move faster in the water than on land (and if so, by how much)?
    2. which of these two counts?

also, i suggest we dig narrow (but possibly deep) channels all through the settlement and around it so we have better access to water and can easily evacuate into the lake if need be.
    1-faster, about x1.5 faster.
    2-welp, continuity error. the second one.

30. - Top - End - #30

So to consolidate what everyone's saying:

Build a settlement. It'll contain huts for the night and maybe trenches. In the morning, then, we'll start digging trenches for water access and defense.

Then once we're settled and can start researching, I suggest water-controlling magic. DeZako, is that possible right now?