New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Freefall: DOGGY!

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    After a good portion of it had filled with superheated atmospheric gasses during entry. Fortunately, the fires were put out when the ship flooded.
    I think my favorite part of this comic is that nothing is ever bad enough until it gets worse several times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think my favorite part of this comic is that nothing is ever bad enough until it gets worse several times over.
    Well, it WAS the most expedient way to get all the fires out, since the fire suppression system wasn't enough.

So it's a case of the 'cure' being bad, but not being as bad as the alternative...

Which seems to be the running theme more. "Okay, we stopped the robots from being destroyed. Now what do we do with several million sentient, free-willed AIs?"
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it WAS the most expedient way to get all the fires out, since the fire suppression system wasn't enough.

So it's a case of the 'cure' being bad, but not being as bad as the alternative...

Which seems to be the running theme more. "Okay, we stopped the robots from being destroyed. Now what do we do with several million sentient, free-willed AIs?"
    Knowing this comic?

"Sell them life insurance/replacement parts/teach them how to make the right choices by scamming them/etc."-Sam.

something along those lines, I guess.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, someone's Friend or Foe Identifier is working fine...

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Really, there are some GREAT lines in this comic.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Aaaand some great lines, but bad implications.

Also ... heh. He makes sure the robots don't get brainwiped because they learn about all the safeguards, but he has no compunction about wiping Florence's short term memory because she's in contact with Dr Bowman.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Aaaand some great lines, but bad implications.

Also ... heh. He makes sure the robots don't get brainwiped because they learn about all the safeguards, but he has no compunction about wiping Florence's short term memory because she's in contact with Dr Bowman.
    I think he worried about Florence being in contact with her creator and that he might do something to her mind.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think he worried about Florence being in contact with her creator and that he might do something to her mind.
    Yes, those pesky things called 'ideas'. It's already been one world-shattering event because of Dr Bowman's designs.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Actually I think it's because they suspect that Bowman left some "back doors" in his designs. The Mayor flat out says this at one point.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Actually I think it's because they suspect that Bowman left some "back doors" in his designs. The Mayor flat out says this at one point.
    Yes, and he just patched the 'safeguards' in the robots. Plus, Bowman has shown he can get around the blocks they've attempted to put in his way (hacking the drones, the coffee maker, the communications devices...)

But he has no compunction in wiping Florence's short-term memory.

And if Bowman was smart, wiping short term memory wouldn't do a thing; he'd have set something up to immediately put it into long memory.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2014-07-22 at 10:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect Florence will not return from the arctic station in sound mind. Between Bowman's trojans and EU's efforts to counter them, she will be barely reconizable.

Then Sam will swoop in and use the backup Florence made to reset her presonality to just before the GitD crisis. "What happened? did we win?"

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    I suspect Florence will not return from the arctic station in sound mind. Between Bowman's trojans and EU's efforts to counter them, she will be barely reconizable.

Then Sam will swoop in and use the backup Florence made to reset her presonality to just before the GitD crisis. "What happened? did we win?"
    Backup? When did Florence do that?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Backup? When did Florence do that?
    http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff2300/fc02226.htm

14. - Top - End - #104

Ah, she saved a brain config backup, not a brain content backup. Kinda like saving your firefox settings but not backing up your whole hard drive.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

and now Dr. Bowman is having a legitimate mad scientist moment....not cackling mad but disposing of the concept of socks from your designs to improve them is certainly odd, if logical in a way, and kind of qualifies him for it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, someone's Friend or Foe Identifier is working fine...
    I agree that this comic has great dialogue, but I'm actually confused about what was going on in that particular comic and the ones previous. (Yes, it's a week ago now, I haven't had any typing time since then.)

"If I give the robots permission to patch themselves, we lose the ability to remotely get into their systems. My bosses are going to want those holes left open." "Patch the security holes."

So, in this comic Mr Raibert is talking about security holes. The robots are asking permission to install patches to fix security holes, because presumably these security holes allow remote access to the robots. However in the previous two comics they are talking about "software failsafes". Are these the same thing as the security holes? I thought the software failsafes were more along the lines of the "safeguards" that we were talking about, which Florence has to protect humans (and presumably the AIs do too). Maybe I had the wrong idea, but I thought these "safeguards" were a mental thing, kind of like the Three Laws but more nuanced, rather than brute force security overrides that they seem to be talking about here.

If they are the same thing, that brings to mind an idea: it's a pity Florence can't install a similar patch to disable her own "remote" access...
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2014-07-25 at 05:45 PM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I agree that this comic has great dialogue, but I'm actually confused about what was going on in that particular comic and the ones previous. (Yes, it's a week ago now, I haven't had any typing time since then.)

"If I give the robots permission to patch themselves, we lose the ability to remotely get into their systems. My bosses are going to want those holes left open." "Patch the security holes."

So, in this comic Mr Raibert is talking about security holes. The robots are asking permission to install patches to fix security holes, because presumably these security holes allow remote access to the robots. However in the previous two comics they are talking about "software failsafes". Are these the same thing as the security holes? I thought the software failsafes were more along the lines of the "safeguards" that we were talking about, which Florence has to protect humans (and presumably the AIs do too). Maybe I had the wrong idea, but I thought these "safeguards" were a mental thing, kind of like the Three Laws but more nuanced, rather than brute force security overrides that they seem to be talking about here.

If they are the same thing, that brings to mind an idea: it's a pity Florence can't install a similar patch to disable her own "remote" access...
    Well, they may just have had multiple forms of safeguards and fail-safes as well as remote access and even a remote kill-switch in case of robot uprising/mass-malfunction/cyber-terrorism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Okay, ouch?

High testosterone results in aggressive behavior. To reduce likelihood of aggressive behavior, reduce testosterone levels. One source of testosterone - the testicles.

I do have to say that it's a testament to his determination that he did it to himself. With a spoon.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

I'm really enjoying Bowman's story. I have always enjoyed character who are aware of their limitations, and have taken steps to address them to the best of their abilities. Sure, he may be a psychopathic genius, but damn, at least he knows it, and has devoted his life to fixing it (rather than, you know, blaming all humans and trying to take over the world or some such nonsense).

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm really enjoying Bowman's story. I have always enjoyed character who are aware of their limitations, and have taken steps to address them to the best of their abilities. Sure, he may be a psychopathic genius, but damn, at least he knows it, and has devoted his life to fixing it (rather than, you know, blaming all humans and trying to take over the world or some such nonsense).

Grey Wolf
    You assume that the wolves and robots aren't his method of trying to blame all humans and take over the world.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

You assume that the wolves and robots aren't his method of trying to blame all humans and take over the world.
    I will admit I am assuming that, mostly because he seems so ridiculously competent that, if that were his intention, I can't see the plan failing to have worked before now. Of course, if could be a double bluff, and indeed, if we go down that line, and n-bluff where n->∞.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I will admit I am assuming that, mostly because he seems so ridiculously competent that, if that were his intention, I can't see the plan failing to have worked before now. Of course, if could be a double bluff, and indeed, if we go down that line, and n-bluff where n->∞.

Grey Wolf
    aka, the Vizinni Logic Loop?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This definitely explains some things about why the attempt to uplift chimps was such an abysmal failure in the first place.

Grey Wolf
    Could be playing the long game that instead of ending up as The Culture, humans end up like in Dresden Codak's portrayal of the future given the eventual emergence of an AI god.

If they'd notice any overt attempt to make killbots, why not just make friendly robots that will make humans die the death of pampered pets that have no more agency than a house cat and less inclination to breed than giant pandas?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-08-02 at 02:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    This definitely explains some things about why the attempt to uplift chimps was such an abysmal failure in the first place.

Could be playing the long game that instead of ending up as The Culture, humans end up like in Dresden Codak's portrayal of the future given the eventual emergence of an AI god.

If they'd notice any overt attempt to make killbots, why not just make friendly robots that will make humans die the death of pampered pets that have no more agency than a house cat and less inclination to breed than giant pandas?
    Considering that taking a human to meet young robots who have never seen one was considered dangerous without a sneaky plan to disguise him as a robot, you might be on to something.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

That chimp does not look like he has been wounded in the field of battle.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    That chimp does not look like he has been wounded in the field of battle.
    Those black dots might be holes in his armor. Otherwise, I agree.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Battle Lawyers?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Battle Lawyers?
    Battle Lawyers!
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Florence isn't broken! Yay!
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Florence isn't broken! Yay!
    Florence is Broken by Design! Ya...

(j/k)

GW