New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Factotum+Able learner=Redundant?

Why is it I keep seeing Able Learner as a recommended feat for Factotums?

My copy of Dungeonscape says in the text that Factotums treat all skills as class skills. Able Learner does the same thing.

Am I missing an errata or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Cool idea. Cool name. I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Obviously this is how a Beholder's anti-magic eye works. It's not just negating magic, it's gathering valuable Vitamin A(rcane).
    I am a CN Human Wizard (5th Level)
    STR 8; DEX 10; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 10; CHA 9

2. - Top - End - #2

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Factotum+Able learner=Redundant?

What you're missing is multiclassing.
    Last edited by Pluto!; 2014-04-11 at 01:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Ah; so the intent is to keep the Factotum's ability while dipping or cross-classing. Makes sense then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Cool idea. Cool name. I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Obviously this is how a Beholder's anti-magic eye works. It's not just negating magic, it's gathering valuable Vitamin A(rcane).
    I am a CN Human Wizard (5th Level)
    STR 8; DEX 10; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 10; CHA 9

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfClericGuy

Able Learner is also required for Chameleon, which is often recommended as a Factotum PRC.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Able Learner also does not make all skills class skills, but rather merely changes the cost to buy a rank in a skill to the usual 1:1 ratio as if it were a class skill. So, if you had a wizard 1 with Able Learner, he could buy up appraise to 2 ranks for the cost of 2 skill points, but he's still at the cross-class skill rank cap rather than the usual class rank cap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    Able Learner also does not make all skills class skills, but rather merely changes the cost to buy a rank in a skill to the usual 1:1 ratio as if it were a class skill. So, if you had a wizard 1 with Able Learner, he could buy up appraise to 2 ranks for the cost of 2 skill points, but he's still at the cross-class skill rank cap rather than the usual class rank cap.
    Except that with a single level in Factotum, you get every skill as a class skill and so later when you multiclass the cross-class skill rank cap is that of a class skill, not a cross-class skill, even if they cost 2 points per rank. That combined with Able Learner really does make every skill act as a class skill.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The main reason to take Able learner on a Factotum is for Chameleon, an amazing Prc that synergies really well in both fluff and mechanics.

Also, multiclassing. Some factotum builds take levels in Swashbuckler or warblade to get int to even MORE stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    The main reason to take Able learner on a Factotum is for Chameleon, an amazing Prc that synergies really well in both fluff and mechanics.

Also, multiclassing. Some factotum builds take levels in Swashbuckler or warblade to get int to even MORE stuff.
    Oh how I shall miss my Factotum 3/Martial Monk 1/Warblade. Int to just about every relevant combat stat, roll, or check. She was such a fun martial character.