New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fantasy World Recommendations

So, I'm trying to find a new Fantasy world to get into and geek out about and am looking for recommendations, hopefully with a reason why based on my previous interests.

My current top 4 worlds are:
    1. Planescape
    2. Erfworld
    3. Star Wars
    4. Shadowrun - Cyberpunk+Magic

I'm thinking the overarching similarities in these are that they are large, expansive worlds with their own rules and peoples. They generally include a new kind of technology or magic that is blended with people discovering and refining the uses of it.

I'm also a short story writer, so I am pretty sensitive to when books are just plain poorly written. It's why I really can't get into Shannara or Forgotten Realms. Star Wars has been a little stretch for me, but some of the writers are decent, and already being familiar with the world has helped.

2. - Top - End - #2

MindFlayer

Default Re: Fantasy World Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    So, I'm trying to find a new Fantasy world to get into and geek out about and am looking for recommendations, hopefully with a reason why based on my previous interests.

My current top 4 worlds are:
    1. Planescape
    2. Erfworld
    3. Star Wars
    4. Shadowrun - Cyberpunk+Magic

I'm thinking the overarching similarities in these are that they are large, expansive worlds with their own rules and peoples. They generally include a new kind of technology or magic that is blended with people discovering and refining the uses of it.

I'm also a short story writer, so I am pretty sensitive to when books are just plain poorly written. It's why I really can't get into Shannara or Forgotten Realms. Star Wars has been a little stretch for me, but some of the writers are decent, and already being familiar with the world has helped.
    I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn and Stormlight series are both all about puzzling through complex and consistent magical systems, and he's a more-than-competent prose stylist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're interested in worlds rather than stories,

- China Mieville's Bas-Lag is ok. Fascinating world, ok plots, terrible characters.

- M. John Harrison's Viriconium stories, especially "The Pastel City" and "A Storm of Wings" are not only beautifully written, the world of the Evening Cultures and the Pastel City is an example of dying earth stories not to be missed. His Kefahuchi Tract trilogy (Light, Nova Swing, Epty Space) are equally well-written and have lots of fun ideas for SF.

- Jack Vance. He has an amazing ability to build new cultures and societal idiosyncrasies (even if all his characters tend towards the verbose and few people are trustworthy). His Dying Earth stories are rightly loved for their magic, imagination and importance to D&D

If you want RPG worlds, I can suggest Legend of the Five Rings. While I'm less than pleased with the story as of a couple years ago and on, over the better part of 20 years it has develoiped into a very detailed setting with lots of fiction for it - not to the extent that settings like FR or DL have a lot, but it's nearly all free. I can only suggest that you check out the RPG first since it introduces a lot of terms and history that will be referred to or developed in the various fictions.

Tribe 8 is out of print, I believe, but is a fascinating mix of post-apocalyptic world and magic. Outcasts fighting both the oppressive culture that cast them out and the alien invaders who's inscrutable motives and origins are easily understood due to their bloody, cruel actions. Magic, dreams, politics, revolution, armed resistance, and prophecy.

I could go on and on, but these are something to start with.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

This is going to sound dumb, but what about Westeros?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The KingKiller Chronicle has a really awesome setting. There's a lot more setting info in the second book than there is in the first, though, because that's when the protagonist starts to travel around. It certainly has " magic that is blended with people discovering and refining the uses of it", though, with a very self consistent and detailed magic system.

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks guys, these are great starts.

I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn and Stormlight series are both all about puzzling through complex and consistent magical systems, and he's a more-than-competent prose stylist.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up a larger portion of what I like in fantasy. I'll probably check out Sanderson first just because of that analysis.

Kingkiller Chronicle also sounds like a really interesting idea to try out. I've read the premise, and it sounds like something I'll either love or hate. But I'll definitely try it.

Westeros is probably something I should look at again. I think I discounted it for some reason, but I don't remember why. Regardless, it's still on my list.

Jack Vance is someone I should try again too. I read a little of "The Gray Prince" and was thrown off by the ridiculously high number of people, and places, and names, and colloquialisms that he employed. Notably, that speaks to his genius, but it's still tough to read.
    However, I suspect he is much like Shakespeare. Hard to get into, but once you get used to the rhythm and style of writing, it is top shelf literature.
    Does that sound fair?

Bas-Lag - I saw this in a Dragon Magazine article once and was highly intrigued by some of it's unique ideas. While I am thrown off by poor writing quality, if it's made up for with a fascinating world, it might be worth it.
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2014-04-14 at 01:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

However, I suspect he is much like Shakespeare. Hard to get into, but once you get used to the rhythm and style of writing, it is top shelf literature.
    Does that sound fair?

Bas-Lag - I saw this in a Dragon Magazine article once and was highly intrigued by some of it's unique ideas. While I am thrown off by poor writing quality, if it's made up for with a fascinating world, it might be worth it.
    1. pretty fair. I loved "The Dying Earth" from the very first word, and it's a bit more accessable than his very wordy charactesr like Cugel the Clever (though you owe it to yourself to read about him too).

2. I know some people think he's great. I've only read "The Scar" and "Perdido Street Station". The unique world was worth the read. I've even reread them because the details are so fascinating. I just cannot muster any sort of empathy or interest at all for any of his characters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks guys, these are great starts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up a larger portion of what I like in fantasy. I'll probably check out Sanderson first just because of that analysis.

Kingkiller Chronicle also sounds like a really interesting idea to try out. I've read the premise, and it sounds like something I'll either love or hate. But I'll definitely try it.
    Just posting to say this is a great choice. If you are looking specifically for a fantasy world that is very far different from anything you're used to, to speculate about and geek out about, I highly recommend starting on Stormlight Archives. Mistborn and Sanderson's other worlds (he's got a good half dozen of them going by now, most of them interconnected to some degree) are cool, but nothing else he has out is quite as developed or interesting as Stormlight Archives' Roshar.

Westeros is probably something I should look at again. I think I discounted it for some reason, but I don't remember why. Regardless, it's still on my list.
    Westeros is pretty cool, especially if you're into trying to find scientific/logical reasons for why stuff is the way it is (See the thread posted around here recently with the Geological Survey of ASOIAF). However these things always make me wonder if GRRM actually put that much thought into it, or if people are bending themselves backwards finding explanations for stuff that he just said "That's how it is, I don't care why" (especially stuff like the years long random length seasons and such). Whereas with BS the answer is always "Yes, he did think that through".
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has one of, if not the most, expansive fantasy setting that I've encountered. With a distant history, numerous cultures with a variety of perspectives attached to them, an intricate magic system, and general sense of verisimilitude as the series continues, Jordan's setting is perhaps the most compelling part of the novels.

10. - Top - End - #10

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has one of, if not the most, expansive fantasy setting that I've encountered. With a distant history, numerous cultures with a variety of perspectives attached to them, an intricate magic system, and general sense of verisimilitude as the series continues, Jordan's setting is perhaps the most compelling part of the novels.
    I've heard good things about Wheel of Time too. On the surface, it appears to be your standard "trade paperback sword and spell" series. However, with the constant recommendations, it might be worth checking out.
    - Note: With all the talk of Sanderson, this is a good mention because he finished the Wheel of Time series. If Sanderson is so good, it speaks well of what he decided to be a fanboy over.
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2014-04-14 at 01:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I've heard good things about Wheel of Time too. On the surface, it appears to be your standard "trade paperback sword and spell" series. However, with the constant recommendations, it might be worth checking out.
    - Note: With all the talk of Sanderson, this is a good mention because he finished the Wheel of Time series. If Sanderson is so good, it speaks well of what he decided to be a fanboy over.
    For what it's worth, Sanderson finishing the Wheel of Time wasn't him "fanboying", he was hired on by Jordan's wife to finish the series based on his notes. Just wanted to make sure that's clear, since your statement made it sound more like a fan project rather than an official completion.

But yes, Wheel of Time has a lot of issues (the plot drags a lot in the middle, characters get stuck in ruts and tons of page space is wasted on storylines you wish would have ended a book or two earlier), but its world is definitely excellent and if that's what gets you in Fantasy, then you will probably be extremely happy even during the slow parts, since typically things slowed down because Jordan decided he wanted some characters to be exploring that place over there. Lots of focus on the different nations and their cultures and customs, and how they all interact with each other.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd check out the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's written by an archaeologist, so he knows a lot about the rise and fall of cultures etc. There's a continent spanning empire, but each section of it is notably different, and there are plenty of places outside its grip as well. The magic system is pretty complicated and not fully understood, but the world is huge and credibly chaotic.

13. - Top - End - #13

You may want to take a look at the Dresden Files. While it happens on RealEarth, technically, you get to discover all about the "hidden world" within ours where Vampirse, Fey, Wizards and other such creatures live. As you progress in the book, you get a better understanding of this Greater World, and how everyone interacts.

You also have a good understanding of the magic systems in place as you go along.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna suggest that the Stormlight Archives books go to the top of your list. The series is only two books in (The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance) out of ten total books, but the first two books are already well worth reading. They're some of the best fantasy I've ever read, just because of their scope. Massive world, stories that ring true to me, and characters I can empathize with.

Also, it says something that the first book impressed me, and then I realized that it was just a lead-up to the next book.

Plus, the world of the Stormlight Archives is filled with cool weirdness, like unique and strange creatures. Giant snails that pull carts, grass that hides from storms...it's really cool!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Giant snails that pull carts,
    This was a throwaway joke in "The Five Shires" (leeches, not snails, but same principle) and I'm pretty sure L. Sprague de Camp did this in "The Incorporeated Knight".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Goblin

Iron Dragon's Daughter - a world next to ours, ruled by Elven elite, where magic is taught at universities and it's very complicated, people live under rules set by Godess, which they dare not to break, where children kidnapped from human world have to work at the factories, building machines of destruction, such like Dragons.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Mercedes Lackey and her Valdemar books. The thing is, she has a vast time line spanning thousands of years on the same world, and all the events tie into each other at some point or another. The world is huge, with more races and kingdoms than you can shake a stick at, a massive overarching storyline, and yet its setup in such a way that you can pick up any stand alone book or series in the time line, and not be lost. I for one read them way out of sequence and it didnt impact my reading in any way. But the time line starts with The Black Gryphon, The White Gryphon, and Silver Gryphon series. Not only are there a couple dozen series in this world, there are large collections of short stories too, with little bits and pieces of the world history included. Her other work is pretty good too, but thats her biggest fantasy world.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18

For what it's worth, Sanderson finishing the Wheel of Time wasn't him "fanboying", he was hired on by Jordan's wife to finish the series based on his notes. Just wanted to make sure that's clear, since your statement made it sound more like a fan project rather than an official completion.
    Good catch. You'll have to forgive me for my style of rhetoric. I meant fanboy with all due respect in that he likely already was pretty deep into the Wheel of Time lore if he was able to do such a good job finishing the series. I'm aware that it was a fully authorized and requested sequel.
    But thank you for showing loyalty to the series!

You may want to take a look at the Dresden Files. While it happens on RealEarth, technically, you get to discover all about the "hidden world" within ours where Vampirse, Fey, Wizards and other such creatures live. As you progress in the book, you get a better understanding of this Greater World, and how everyone interacts.
    Another one that I've read the first book of and was intrigued. I should revisit Harry Dresden....

Iron Dragon's Daughter - a world next to ours, ruled by Elven elite, where magic is taught at universities and it's very complicated, people live under rules set by Godess, which they dare not to break, where children kidnapped from human world have to work at the factories, building machines of destruction, such like Dragons.
    I'm surprised at how interesting this sounds. I'll definitely take a look.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Another one that I've read the first book of and was intrigued. I should revisit Harry Dresden....
    The series gets much better as you get a few books in. It starts developing significantly, especially world-wise.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Abhorsen/Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix is pretty excellent. The setting is well thought-out and it has one of the more interesting interpretations of the realm of Death that I've seen (the titular Abhorsens are a sort of reverse necromancer who keep the Dead dead, so this comes up a lot). It has the added fun that most of the action takes place in the Old Kingdom, a fantasy land that runs on magic & magical technology, which is bordered on the south by Ancellstiere, that functions on WWI levels of tech. Magic and traditional technology don't mix well and the divisions run deeper than simple geography.

The Keys to the Kingdom series by the same author is also pretty good; it concerns the main character's adventures in the House- the axis and epicenter of the universe- and the bureaucracies that run the place as he tries to fullfill the conditions set forth in the Creator's will (as in the legal document).
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

It's an RPG-world primarily, but I have been extremely impressed with the quality of Paizo's Golarion as a world (and what REALLY sold it to me, solar system). It is easily the best RPG-world I have had the fortune to read - on a par with the 3.5 Ravenloft Gazeteer, which I bought for nce brief bit in a campaign once but read for leisure. I have got a large amount of Paizo's Golarion stufff now, and am working through it slowly as just reding material. (The fact I'm running their excellent adventures on it and actually not only willing but eager to do speaks greatly in it's favour.)

22. - Top - End - #22

Speaking of RPG worlds, has anyone here had a chance to dig into Numenara? With it being done by Monte Cook, and the setting for the upcoming Torment game, I'm definitely paying attention. Feedback from anyone with experience?

Also, somebody once told me of a world that was classic high fantasy, elves, sword and board, etc. But then an alien ship crash-landed and the technology began to be pillaged by the people.
    Anybody know what I'm talking about and can review?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I'll second the Kingkiller chronicles, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pratchet's Discworld.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Goblin

Chronolicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny - 10-books long series concering family that rules Amber, the first world in the Multiverse. Very creative, ver smart, very interesting.

Jack of Shadows by the same author (don't confuse with his Donnerjack) - a world divided in two halves, where one is like our world, only there is always day, and other is world of eternal night, ruled by various beings of strange powers and magic, fighting over dominance.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Plus, the world of the Stormlight Archives is filled with cool weirdness, like unique and strange creatures. Giant snails that pull carts, grass that hides from storms...it's really cool!
    They aren't snails. Look at the picture again: they are giant hermit crabs. And awesome.

Another giant plus point, by the way. The books are illustrated. Why are so few books illustrated these days?

The series gets much better as you get a few books in. It starts developing significantly, especially world-wise.
    Character-wise, too. I'd say more so than world-wise, even. The first book doesn't have much of a cast. There's Dresden, Murphy is introduced a bit, Morgan is being an ass and we get a few scenes with Bob. But relatively few of the really re-occuring characters. Oh, and Marcone.

But the cast gets a lot better once a few more re-occuring characters are introduced in the next three or so books. The Faeries, especially the Leanansidhe. The wolves. Other council members. Thomas Raith. And especially the Carpenters.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-04-17 at 01:53 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Mickey Zucker Reichert's books largely take place in world of Samurai who believe in the the Norse Gods. Swordfights happen.
    Ragnarok actually happens halfway into the series. Calamity ensues.

The Nightside is all about world-building. The plot merely exists so that the author can show you around his world.
    Deathstalker has crazy world-building. If 40K is Dune on crack, then Deathstalker-verse is Dune on heroin.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The Hyborian Age of Conan. That guy put a suprising amount of cultural aspects into his world, partly because they are supposed to be the mything ancestors of current Earth ethnicities. But when you look at many more recent fantasy settings, they are still a lot less "obviously English", "obviously Egyptian" and so on.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness and Protector of the Small series are both centred on female knights.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be the obligatory Morrowind guy. Play Morrowind. Or just look up the lore and read it. It's crazy. An island of swamp and volcanic desert, crawling with giant insects and inhabited by a civilization of unpleasant, xenophobic elves descended from demon-worshipers and led by a trio of self-made gods. Foremost among them, the warrior-poet Vivec. A dark messiah of an elf, deceptive and ambiguous in all things and ruthlessly devoted to his goals. Whether the first of these goals is the salvation of his people or the security of his own power depends entirely on who you choose to believe, and Vivec himself is the least reliable source of all. The civilization has aesthetics resembling Mesopotamia, and is ruled over by four great houses: House Hlaalu, the traders and masters of intrigue; House Redoran, the warriors who forge armor from the coagulated blood of gods; House Telvanni, the wizards who grow structures from colossal fungi; and House Indoril, the fanatical cult of Nerevar. Basically, it's what you'd get if you made a prog rock album cover into a fantasy setting.
    Last edited by TandemChelipeds; 2014-04-17 at 04:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They aren't snails. Look at the picture again: they are giant hermit crabs. And awesome.

Another giant plus point, by the way. The books are illustrated. Why are so few books illustrated these days?
    Ooooooh yes! Sanderson, as I recall, made a particular point of getting illustrations, too--and the book would be far less without them. (I also love how there's an in-story explanation for the illustrations! )
    Character-wise, too. I'd say more so than world-wise, even. The first book doesn't have much of a cast. There's Dresden, Murphy is introduced a bit, Morgan is being an ass and we get a few scenes with Bob. But relatively few of the really re-occuring characters. Oh, and Marcone.

But the cast gets a lot better once a few more re-occuring characters are introduced in the next three or so books. The Faeries, especially the Leanansidhe. The wolves. Other council members. Thomas Raith. And especially the Carpenters.
    Oooh, good point. It's a bit like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is getting: you start out with a handful of characters, then slowly start building in more characters, world, and plot.