New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Psion Cohort Help

Due to the perfect combo of; me taking Leadership, us having to deal with psions, us not having any psionic capabilities, and my DM letting me make my cohort; I have *SPOILER* decided on a psion cohort. We also have a big group(7). Don't blast me for taking Leadership. It's a flavor feat for army/personal guard building. I want my Cohort to contribute(gotta earn that cut) but not take too much time at the table.

I figure someone to buff vs. mind effects. Nothing crazy offensive, just someone to help. If there's a psion version of AMF he'll have it but no blasty or Save or Die/Suck. But he's gotta be able to stand with us and not die.

Any help you could give would be awesome. SRD for feats and powers. All 3.5 PrC allowed. We work out banned prerequisites based on flavor/mechanics. No homebrew.
    Last edited by PaucaTerrorem; 2014-04-12 at 09:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Male

Default Re: Psion Cohort Help

Psionics has very little in the way of buffs that aren't self only, but there are some tricks they can pull off by being sneaky with the powers they do get.

Time Hop is a great defensive measure for allies in dire straits, and it's great for utility, too (doors, locks, locked doors, and for any other time when "remove this thing from the timestream" could be useful [which is surprisingly often]).

Give him Psionic Minor Creation, so he can make tools, weapons, armor, and other things out of hardwoods and amber. I believe there's an alchemical salve made entirely out of plants that restores hp for each dose, though I'd have to look it up. It should work just as well if made from ectoplasm. He can also make poisons, flammables (like pine pitch), and there's plenty of other stuff (like marbles, flour, and alcohol) that could come in really handy at some point or another.

Give him the Linked Power feat, so he can manifest any power he knows within one round.

A few debuffs are handy, too, such as Entangling Ectoplasm and Psionic Grease. Nothing huge, and they're lower level, but they're still very useful nonetheless.

Also, allow him to manifest an augmented Psionic Dominate on those in the party who trust him to do so, and have him command you to "act as you normally would at all times." Then you'll get opposed Cha checks with anyone else who Charms or Dominates you.

Give him a psicrystal and the Share Pain and Vigor powers. Share both powers with the psicrystal, so he takes half damage from everything (which is eaten up by the psicrystal's hardness, and the temp hit points).

Note that he can use armors and shields, as well (just find some with no ACP).
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-04-12 at 10:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Psion Cohort Help

Well, Rubik has already thrown down a lot of good advice and also pointed out there aren't a lot of buffs that you can share as a psion. As your minion is a cohort, I imagine s/he will be two levels behind you or more. I'd almost suggest intellect fortress and tower of iron will but the second is expensive, weak, and possibly higher level than you have access to at the moment. By the way, what level are we talking here?

I always like elans. They are a solid choice but generally weaker than a human's bonus feat and skill points. Kalashtar are good. They've got some decent substitution features for psion out of Races of Eberron, as do Changelings (but that's for egoists). Consider the Mind's Eye Articles. They are official and have some fun features and prcs, especially the Expanded Classes stuff.

As horribly, horribly broken as it is, I'd almost suggest a Spell-to-Power Erudite. It can translate arcane spells into psionic powers, and erudite can have as many powers as he needs, though you can manifest only a few specific powers per day. This makes a good back up dancer. Figure out some way to keep her/him relatively safe, wait, and then bust out with whatever power you Really Need Right Now.

If you can manage a recharge method for out of combat (like earth spell + earth power + bestow power + torc of power preservation... there are others but tend to be higher level), your cohort can be somewhat of a psionic cleric. Out of combat, he absorbs everyone's pain (empathic transfer) and heals himself (body adjustment + body purification). Until you have a recharge method, it cost too much to be effective. Once you do, it's nifty, and frees up the caster types to focus on something else.

I'd REALLY suggest society mind/vitalist, but since that's either homebrew or third party depending on how you look at it, it sadly doesn't meet your requirements.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    . . . By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. . .
    So explain to me why persons on this forum advertise their sexuality, when at this level of interaction we are genderless and faceless?

...I want a psuedonatural familiar. Really, I do. Very much so. Please?