New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default +5 holy bunny... Named Avenger.

So the strangest thing happened today at my bi-monthly D&D session.

Several sessions ago, our party went into the heart of a volcano to try and close the portal to hell that had opened up above it. shortly after entering, we found this lovely little toy that my Paladin took up until it could be returned to it's proper owner, a Holy Avenger. It was inscribed with the holy symbol of Pelor while my Paladin was a follower of St Cuthbert, so he intended on only using it for now as the volcano was full of demons, and returning it to the church of Pelor once the job was done.

Today... that sword was turned into a Bunny. Permanently. by a Loremaster. After much laughter and fooling around, several things about it were determined.

1. it has a mark on it's fur on it's sides that resembles the holy symbol of Pelor.
    2. it has "holy *word for poop*", which can deal 2d6 points of damage to evil creatures.
    3. it is a baby celestial dire bunny.
    and 4. it is not my familiar nor bound to me in any way.

Now then, my question to you is this.

How do we have some fun with this and totally twink it out to ridiculous measures? Can celestial dire bunnies take levels in paladin?

Edit: Ideas thus far:
    Levels in paladin
    Sacred healing feat to turn "Turn undead" into fast-healing 3 for 1+cha mod rounds, healing people with it's cuteness.
    warbeast template (possibly)
    possible underfoot combatant and confound the big folk feats.

News:

The rabit has been Drawn! and Statted!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2014-04-17 at 11:54 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: +5 holy bunny... Named Avenger.

to bad it is a magical animal now, you can't awaken it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I created a celestial Mule with levels of Sorcerer once, so a Holy Avenger-Bunny could take levels of Paladin — though the big question is: What's it's Intelligence ? It has to be more than 2 in order to take class levels. It's Wisdom and Charisma may also be relevant for that class. Incidentally: Cleric may be a better option that a Coneydin.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

unless the celestial or dire templates grant intelligence bonuses i'm guessing that won't be possible then, dang.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    unless the celestial or dire templates grant intelligence bonuses i'm guessing that won't be possible then, dang.
    Celestial does increase intelligence to at least 3.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

This is absolutely hilarious. As for what to do, perhaps you could talk with your dm about making him an alternate paladin's mount or something? Or what if you raise him--bunnies mature quickly--and then make him your cohort?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Celestial does increase intelligence to at least 3.
    ooohhh that's good then! how many hit dice would it have to have to take a level in paladin though? I'm guessing since it's only a baby it wouldn't be able to do so right away though.

thinking that since it's a BABY dire creature as well, i'll reduce the dire bonuses by half and keep it as it's tiny size. what do you guys think?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    This is absolutely hilarious. As for what to do, perhaps you could talk with your dm about making him an alternate paladin's mount or something? Or what if you raise him--bunnies mature quickly--and then make him your cohort?
    that's been suggested actually, get a few enlarge spells, make them permanent so he's big enough to ride, then have a black-clad paladan of cuthburt ride into battle on a giant rabbit of pelor
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

If it's at least a Medium creature, a DC 20 Handle Animal check and two months of training will give it the Warbeast template (MM2, 219). It'll get stat boosts, an extra HD, and will be able to carry riders into battle. You can reduce the time needed, but it's kind of hard to do.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-04-12 at 11:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

right now it's only tiny/dminuitive, wichever a typical bunny is, though it might become medium sized later, i'm not sure. i'm just trying to figure out if there's anything i can do with it now.

might invest in a slingshot and use it's holy poop as ammunition.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2014-04-12 at 11:20 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Yeah, but you might be able to get a circumstances bonus out of it. And come on, isn't it fun to get a magical beast battle buddy who complements your abilities well?

And holy poop? Really? Oh man, that is so juvenile it's hilarious. I wonder if you could get similar bonuses by rubbing a sword in his poop? Along with the nasty infections your foes will get.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

sadly i sugested that and no, wouldn't work it seems. also apparently it would rust our swords up, and nobody really wants to rub poop on their blades/crossbow bolts.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

sadly i sugested that and no, wouldn't work it seems. also apparently it would rust our swords up, and nobody really wants to rub poop on their blades/crossbow bolts.
    No it wouldn't, not if you cleaned it off. Maybe the mount/cohort would be the best idea then? Is your paladin medium or small sized? And I think rabbits are small sized.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Holy avenger bunny
    Show
    Last edited by Sapreaver; 2014-04-12 at 11:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It was historically a valid tactic: People would often expose their arrowheads to dirt and feces to infect wounds. It was popular with the Viet Cong in their infamous spike pits, and English bowmen sometimes stuck their arrows in the dirt so they would infect wounds.

If rust is a concern, then either use nonmetal weapons or get the Everbright weapon property (+2,000gp, MiC). Also get someone to cast Prestidigitation. A lot.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

so asside from the intelligence of at least three, is there anything else that would hinder this thing having class levels? and how many would it even have, one per hit dice? one per four?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapreaver View Post
    Show
    I'd probably call that more of a Vorpal bunny, myself.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Upgrade it to have spell storing and make it the party healer. Or else charge it with vampiric touch or empowered magic missile for a little extra damage.

Does it have decent hp? Polymorph it (not PaO) to temporarily fight alongside the party.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-12 at 11:44 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

i... don't think i can do any of that. it's not a weapon anymore, it's a living rabbit, permanently. thinking maybe i could make it's teeth cold iron since the sword itself counted as cold iron but yeah, i can't actually enchant it like i could and item or weapon.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Train it so that you can pick it up, point its rear at enemies, and unleash machine-gun fire of 'holy *word for poop*'

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

so asside from the intelligence of at least three, is there anything else that would hinder this thing having class levels? and how many would it even have, one per hit dice? one per four?
    It would gain class levels the same way any other character does: with no relation to racial hit dice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    It would gain class levels the same way any other character does: with no relation to racial hit dice at all.
    okay then, so how would that work? other characters get it via experiance and leveling up, how does that work for a rabbit?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

okay then, so how would that work? other characters get it via experiance and leveling up, how does that work for a rabbit?
    If it has class levels, it would gain them the same way any character does: Earn XP, level up once it has enough to hit the next level, rinse and repeat.

Urpriest could probably explain this better than us. He wrote a guide to the monster rules.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-04-13 at 12:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

okay, but it doesn't have any at the moment, how would it go about getting it's first one?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

okay, but it doesn't have any at the moment, how would it go about getting it's first one?
    Like a human, really. Maybe ask the DM to adjudicate some minor XP cost so it can get the first level?
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapreaver View Post
    Show
    that has the Paragon template, not the Dire animal and Celestial Creature templates.

Dire was never written out as first party material, however it was typically +1 size category and +2HD. the Half hit die of a Hare (since hares are bigger, faster and less sedentary then rabbits, and evolved as such, we can just take the entry from Dragon). This makes the bunny have 2+1/2 HD and is just cresting into the small category.

personally id apply Half Celestial and Warbeast (warbeast is basically training the creature into a dire creature without the size or HD increases) over Celestial and homebrewing up a dire template, expecially to avoid the penalties of becoming a small creature over a tiny creature, as well as having half the RHD to waste paladin levels.

then, said bunny is to become a Paladin of Freedom, worship Mystra (because Pelor is both CE while not providing anything worthwhile in terms of paladin acfs), and become a badass fluffy in fullplate. Also any intelligent bunny will be chaotic Fluffy in alignment

Also, it needs a homebrew Half land speed burrow rate. because its a bunny and thus digs.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-04-13 at 12:21 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    personally id apply Half Celestial and Warbeast (warbeast is basically training the creature into a dire creature without the size or HD increases) over Celestial and homebrewing up a dire template, expecially to avoid the penalties of becoming a small creature over a tiny creature, as well as having half the RHD to waste paladin levels.
    Doesn't work, unfortunately. Half-celestial needs an Int 4+ base, said celestial rabbit would only have Int 3.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

n-no, you're confused. i'm not MAKING the rabbit, it's already been made, and the DM has cannonized it as a Baby, Celestial, Dire Bunny. i cannot change that. if i can use that material to make the bunny a paladin then great, but it's a baby right now, so i'm not sure if i can, and it likely wouldn't have the full effects of the dire template. As well, it was made out of a holy avenger bearing the mark of Pelor, ergo, if it was a paladin of any god, it would be one of Pelor.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Doesn't work, unfortunately. Half-celestial needs an Int 4+ base, said celestial rabbit would only have Int 3.
    celestial warbeast then, because theres no reasonable way to get it to qualify that are not equally rediculous possiblities, like having Half-Silver (or half iron) Dragon template

Half-Iron (Cone, Half Electric/half fire)(Immune to fire), Half-Celestial, Warbeast hare with Paladin of Honor levels. it is still a tiny creature, and it needs Mithral fullplate. Because a bunny in fullplate is adorable

n-no, you're confused. i'm not MAKING the rabbit, it's already been made, and the DM has cannonized it as a Baby, Celestial, Dire Bunny. i cannot change that. if i can use that material to make the bunny a paladin then great, but it's a baby right now, so i'm not sure if i can, and it likely wouldn't have the full effects of the dire template. As well, it was made out of a holy avenger bearing the mark of Pelor, ergo, if it was a paladin of any god, it would be one of Pelor.
    your DM is lame then, not making a completely awesome and cuddly doomball. at least in third using a non-awakened tiny animal without a mountain of broken templates is unworkable for classes, because its too squishy. (Familiars get some pretty damn sweet benefits offsetting that, These templates? Dont)
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-04-13 at 12:48 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    your DM is lame then, not making a completely awesome and cuddly doomball. at least in third using a non-awakened tiny animal without a mountain of broken templates is unworkable for classes, because its too squishy. (Familiars get some pretty damn sweet benefits offsetting that, These templates? Dont)
    That's not fair at all. He isn't even supposed to be using the little guy. Basically, the DM just gave them a special pet, and the OP is trying to make the most of it.