New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown (IC)

Aurora flinches at the Gundwolf's sudden inquiry, heavy-laden with menace. "W-wait, wait - it's nothing! I- I need to examine it further!" She jumps to her feet starts backing away from Gundwolf. Eyes wide, she quickly scans the faces of the group, looking for support. Her gaze rests for a moment on Kristoph, but then she hesitates at the sight of his holy symbol and the two Pharasman acolytes accompanying them. She goes to Elian, still trying to keep maximum distance from Gundwolf. "Please, Mister Evenstarr - I believe this could be connected with the professor's writings, and possibly even with the incident last night! We have to get back to the library to complete the research!"

Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    Trying to deflect inquiries and appease Gundwolf without being entirely honest: Bluff (1d20-1)[11]
    ^^ It can probably be an IC decision whether people want to roll an opposed Sense Motive. Gundwolf, at least, probably has no interest in hearing her excuses and won't be dissuaded!

And just a reminder, she also still hasn't told the group what she knows about the Order of the Palatine Eye and the significance of the scarab symbol.

But she's planning to, honest!
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-07-12 at 11:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Gund lets out a low growl at Aurora. First hiding your cursed magic, now trying to pocket things behind my back? What are you playing at? He advances slowly toward her, a muted snarl on his silent lips.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Aurora flinches at the Gundwolf's sudden inquiry, heavy-laden with menace. "W-wait, wait - it's nothing! I- I need to examine it further!" She jumps to her feet starts backing away from Gundwolf. Eyes wide, she quickly scans the faces of the group, looking for support. Her gaze rests for a moment on Kristoph, but then she hesitates at the sight of his holy symbol and the two Pharasman acolytes accompanying them. She goes to Elian, still trying to keep maximum distance from Gundwolf. "Please, Mister Evenstarr - I believe this could be connected with the professor's writings, and possibly even with the incident last night! We have to get back to the library to complete the research!"
    Kristoph watches events unfold for a moment before stepping forward. "Hold on a moment! Calm down and let's handle this like adults. What did you see, Gund, and what are you talking about Aurora?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eyes not leaving Aurora, Gundwolf responds to Kristoph: The girl tried to sneak something from the sarcophagus into her pocket. Something small, made of wood, but regardless of what it was, I won't have secrets being held behind my back by those I'm risking life and limb for. He twirls the business end of his flail a couple of times for emphasis.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

4. - Top - End - #214

NecromancerGuy

Eyes not leaving Aurora, Gundwolf responds to Kristoph: The girl tried to sneak something from the sarcophagus into her pocket. Something small, made of wood, but regardless of what it was, I won't have secrets being held behind my back by those I'm risking life and limb for. He twirls the business end of his flail a couple of times for emphasis.
    Looking first at Aurora and then at Gund, Kristoph says, "Well, I cannot say I blame you. Miss Aurora, how about you take this item, return it to the pile, and then we take all of this back to Father Grimburrow. Once there, you can explain your actions in a less stressful environment." Moving to gently but firmly place himself between the big half-orc and the young woman he continues, "We know Lorrimor trusted both of you, and it is clear he kept some secrets himself. Let's just assume for the moment that there isn't any effort to use magic against Mr. Gundwolf, and that he isn't planning to use that flail right now. Show some respect for the late Professor's opinion of each of us and calm down."
    Spoiler: OoC, All read please, re: Diplomacy etc...
    Show
    As a player and often a DM I would strongly discourage attempting to use the interpersonal skills like Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate against other players. The rules guiding the adjudication of those skills (and Sense Motive) are intended for use vs. NPCs and really shouldn't be applied to PC-PC interactions. I am not going to roll a Diplomacy check for this reason unless Starnes decides it is the best approach. (If he does, please roll it for me with my +8 modifier).

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora withdraws the case from her pocket and holds it in front of her with trembling fingers. "I- I can explain, but not here... and not in front of..." she swallows hard as she continues. "Father Grimburrow. There- there's another item with this symbol among the professor's belongings, and I think it could be a critical clue. P-please, let's just return to Miss Kendra at the house!" Her voice rises near the end, and she looks pleadingly between Elian, Fruril, and Kristoph.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Father Grimburrow's Instructions - Remembered by Kristoph
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    This is Leone and Chad. They will accompany you to this cache, if it exists. I remind you that whatever you find is the property of the church and request that it be returned here first.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Turning to the two acolytes Kristoph bows his head slightly and makes the Pharasman salute against his breast. "We will investigate the tomb and first return any supplies we find here. Thank you, Father," he says to Father Grimburrow. Then he turns and begins walking out towards the Restlands and the crypt-cache.

Aurora withdraws the case from her pocket and holds it in front of her with trembling fingers. "I- I can explain, but not here... and not in front of..." she swallows hard as she continues. "Father Grimburrow. There- there's another item with this symbol among the professor's belongings, and I think it could be a critical clue. P-please, let's just return to Miss Kendra at the house!" Her voice rises near the end, and she looks pleadingly between Elian, Fruril, and Kristoph.
    "Miss Aurora, we were given very clear directions by the good Father, and as a paladin of the deity he serves I am somewhat bound to follow such orders. You leave me and these two acolytes in a very difficult position," Kristoph says, his face concerned. "Are you concerned that he will not allow us to take this case into our possession? Or is there something else that concerns you? He will certainly hear from either Leone or Chad about it and if we are not forthcoming. I do not think he will be as likely to be supportive in the future as he would if we were to do as he asks..."

Though Kristoph wants to resolve Aurora's anxiety, he is clearly not supportive of handling things in this way.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Holy cow, Ian. Can you make this any harder for a Paladin of Pharasma than to ask me to disobey orders from a priest of my deity? Cross the church, behave unlawfully, do it in front of two other presumably devout members of the faith...

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Elian steps forward and places a hand gently on the half-orc's shoulder, while eyeing Aurora. Kristoph has the right of it, friend. I am glad you noticed what I did not, and we will certainly see to it that what should be done will be. For now, we should make sure this stash is empty, search for any clues as to who might have used it, and report to father Grimborrow. There is no need for bloodshed among us... I think.

After a meaningful glance at Aurora, he heeds his own words, searching the area for any secret bases or other interesting things.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+1)[20] perception. +1 more in the case of traps.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gund stares icily at Aurora before abruptly holstering his flail. I care not for your clues. Take care that you keep your devilry away from me, and I'll do you the courtesy of keeping my steel away from you. He crosses his arms, one hand resting near the dagger at his belt, and leans against a wall, watching as the party continues their search.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2014-07-13 at 03:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Devilry? I-! I-! ...nevermind..." Blushing, Aurora, looks away from the group and back down at the assorted items on the floor. "I think I've made all I can of these items for now. Shouldn't we be moving on, then?" Placing the scarab case in Kristoph's hands, she turns away stiffly and walks over to Leone, making a show of reinspecting the wound.

Spoiler: Heal check
    Show
    There was a DC we didn't beat earlier, so, if relevant: (1d20+5)[17]
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

NecromancerGuy

Placing the scarab case in Kristoph's hands, she turns away stiffly...
    Kristoph looks at the case, Gund, and Aurora with a confused look on his face. Then shrugging he turns to the two acolytes, they gather up the various items from the cache, and they make their way back to the cathedral to speak with Father Grimburrow.

When they arrive there he greets the priest with the proper deference and says, "Father Grimburrow, there was an altercation at the tomb. Leone fought off one of two giant centipedes and was bitten. She may need medical attention. There was also a cache of items, several of which we were not able to identify. We also found this case, which we would like to keep; it matches an item in the late Professor's home and Miss Aurora here thinks there may be a connection. Would you help us by identifying the remaining items and give us your blessing to use them to explore the ruins, please?"
    Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9] To convince the Father to help us in the ways described.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

On the way back to the cathedral, Elian pulls Aurora to the side of the group, speaking quietly. What, exactly, the hell was that all about? I hope you know that I value both your expertise and the professor's opinion of you, but pranks like that are NOT the way to garner trust! I do not know what that stupid scarab case is about, I suspect the others here do not either. Nor do I care. Unless you intend to finish the professor's work by yourself, which I suspect would be daunting, to say the least, you need to learn to work with a group! Your magical propensities will not alienate us. At least, not most of us. Antics like that, will.

I am not your father, and do not care to act like it. You know better than to treat companions in good faith like this.
    With his best attempt at a patronly glare, Elian moves back to the rest of the group.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Fruril walks along with the group silently, staying nearby Aurora though not directly next to her. He is thankful he didn't have to try and restrain Gundwolf again, but does want to be ready should the need arise again.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

On the way back to the temple, Gundwolf ranges around the outskirts of the party, twirling his flail in irritation while making no effort to engage any of the party in eye contact or conversation. At the temple, he crosses his arms over his chest while turning his back to the assemblage, just close enough to listen to the conversation that transpires.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Leone will be fine. She is quite resilient and we are expert healers. I will help you identify the items. I heard from the sheriff what happened at the monument. While most of the town may not try to help you, I have a feeling this is much bigger than we suspect, and thus, you have my aide. If you give me until tomorrow, I will identify the rest of this. You can spend the time in our library. We have extensive records that may aide you if you wish. He points behind him at a door on the right.

Is there anything else?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can make another knowledge check today. Using the Temple of Pharasma grants you a +4 on checks for harrowstone, for its specific prisoners, and the Whispering Way. Make sure you review the information Aurora discovered last night before you try to further your understanding.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-14 at 10:20 PM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After a silent nod at minimal curtsy directed at the priest, Aurora strides quickly and purposefully through the door to the library, letting the door close heavily behind her. Once inside, she leads back against it for a moment, taking quick, deep breaths and fighting back tears as the knot in her stomach finally begins to loosen. With a sniffle or two, she pats Socrates, wipes her eyes, and sets about investigating the library.

Spoiler: Knowledge checks
    Show
    There may be more interactions before she finishes the research, of course, but I'll go ahead and make the rolls:

(+4 Circumstance Bonus from library applied)
    Knowledge:History for Harrowstone, generally: (1d20+12)[20]

Knowledge:History for "Father Charlatan": (1d20+12)[17]
    Knowledge:History for "The Lopper": (1d20+12)[23]
    Knowledge:History for "The Mosswater Marauder": (1d20+12)[14]
    Knowledge:History for "The Piper of Illmarsh": (1d20+12)[27]
    Knowledge:History for "The Splatter Man": (1d20+12)[21]

Knowledge:History for the Whispering Way, generally: (1d20+12)[23]

And finally, without the circumstance bonus
    Knowledge:History for more on the Order of the Palatine Eye: (1d20+8)[17]

(Same modifiers for Knowledge:Arcana if that's more relevant for any.)
    (Also, prioritize the three 'general' checks above the five specific individuals if there's not enough time for all - that's a lot of reading to do!)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-07-14 at 10:49 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gund turns and brusquely addresses the priest: Have you grounds for sparring? I have no interest in tomes, but my arms ache of disuse.

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph bows his head in deference to Father Grimburrow, then takes the case with the scarab icon in hand, says "Thank you, Father," and follows Aurora towards the library.

Knocking lightly, he enters and says, "Miss Aurora, I feel like there is something more going on here, and that perhaps I owe an apology. I have the case here; please tell me why this is so important. When we enter Harrowstone later we must be unified in purpose and trust each other completely. After I speak to you I plan to speak to Gundwolf and see what can be done there, but first I need to understand what is going on here..." As he speaks he removes his weapons, leaving them by the door, and hands her the case, sincere concern in his eyes and voice.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora looks up from an already considerable mound of textbooks arrayed about her as Kristoph enters. As she takes the case, her cheeks redden again, and she looks down at it for a moment without answering. Finally she looks up. "Mister Kristoph, have you ever heard of a group known as The Esoteric Order of The Palantine Eye? They're a secret society, some say spanning all of Ustalav and beyond, dedicated to all manner of political and arcane agendas. Some of the rumors about them are... not so pleasant."

She swallows hard before she continues. Holding up the case, she tilts it so that the single-eyed scarab catches the light. "This is their symbol! It's the same one we found on that locked book in the professor's trunk! Don't you see, it means that he was mixed up with them somehow, maybe even a member! I didn't say anything at first because I needed more time to study it, maybe to find more context in the house, but then we went to that tomb and we found this case and then I didn't know what else to do! You've heard the horrible things the townsfolk have all been saying about the professor - what would they have done if they heard this too? I- I just wanted a chance to figure things out... but then that man with the flail saw me and started being so awful and I... I-!" Her words come faster and faster as she goes on, and tears are welling in her eyes again by the time she finishes speaking.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-07-15 at 09:08 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph gently lays a hand over Aurora's and says, "It's all right, just breathe a minute. Gundwolf reacted threateningly, but I suspect his lack of trust is not about you so much as about magic in general. It probably didn't help that you were secretive about the case, but that is over now. I will talk to him about this later.

This order is unfamiliar to me. My studies have focused upon religious topics, and I must admit I am not the finest student. We all worked with the Professor in one way or another; we know he was a good man who fought against the darkness. If he was involved with this Palantine Eye, it will have been for good reason. Open the case, inspect what you find, and if you are afraid to share it with everyone publicly, at least share it with me. If we work together, this will all work out, I am sure.
    "

Kristoph then stands, leaving the case with Aurora, moves towards the door, and gathers his weapons. "I will ask Father Grimburrow to allow us to keep the case. It was probably Lorrimor's in the first place, so he should allow it." He then turns and leaves the library.
    ------------------------

Finding Father Grimburrow in the cathedral Kristoph asks, "Father, after speaking with Aurora more closely, I am convinced the case we mentioned with the scarab icon was originally Professor Lorrimor's. He must have left it in the cache when he visited it last. May we take it back to the late Professor's home, to be included with his other possessions, please?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
    Show
    (1d20+8)[11] To convince the priest to allow this. I am hoping to be allowed a new roll given the additional information received after talking to Aurora. If not, the original roll several posts up was a 9...

After receiving the priest's answer, the paladin leaves the building to find Gundwolf.
    ------------------------

Once he finds the half-orc, Kristoph simply asks, "Would you accept a sparring partner, Gundwolf?" He then takes up his shield and longsword, carefully casing the blade so that he and the large man can practice without risk of injury from it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Kristoph gently lays a hand over Aurora's and says, "Open the case, inspect what you find, and if you are afraid to share it with everyone publicly, at least share it with me. If we work together, this will all work out, I am sure."
    Aurora sniffles a bit and wipes at her eyes with the back of her hands, but Kristoph's words seem to calm her. "Thank you. I- I'll let you all know what I discover." Once he has left to speak with Grimburrow and Gundwolf she sits a moment longer, scratching Socrates and staring at the case on the table before her. Taking a deep breath, she purposefully reaches down and snaps the case open, ready to see what's inside.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-07-15 at 09:05 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    I will help you identify the items. I heard from the sheriff what happened at the monument. While most of the town may not try to help you, I have a feeling this is much bigger than we suspect, and thus, you have my aide. If you give me until tomorrow, I will identify the rest of this. You can spend the time in our library. We have extensive records that may aide you if you wish.
    Elian bows deeply to the priest, Thank you father. Your aid is greatly appreciated. I think we all have much to ponder.

As the priest walks away, and the rest of the group goes about their respective tasks, Elian follows Kristoph quietly to the door. Not wanting to be an additional distraction, but intensely curious, he waits behind the closed door, trying to hear what's going on beyond.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[11] perception

As the conversation draws to a close, Elian opens the door, just in time for Kristoph to walk out. Elian steps inside, taking in the library as he gently closes the door. This is some place! Goodness! I see our young academic has already gotten started. He smiles pleasantly as he walks to where Aurora is leaning over the case. Would you like company for this? I, for one, would be hesitant to open that case, were I in your position. The unknown carries its own breed of danger. I can attest for that personally.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Once he finds the half-orc, Kristoph simply asks, "Would you accept a sparring partner, Gundwolf?" He then takes up his shield and longsword, carefully casing the blade so that he and the large man can practice without risk of injury from it.
    After a final, crushing swing of his heavy flail, Gundwolf turns from the collection of rubble that apparently used to be a sparring target and seems to notice the paladin. I am unaccustomed to fighting for less than my life, so I warn you that I may be a rougher playmate even than I mean to be. He grins savagely (but without malice) at Kristoph, baring his oversized canines in the process. However, you seem to be the only member of our motley crew who might not crumble from a single blow, so I leave it in your hands. Gently, almost reverently placing his preferred weapon on a nearby bench, Gund reaches for a giant sparring blade from a nearby rack and strikes a pose of readiness.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sparring combat?? Can we adjudicate this through nonlethal combat??

23. - Top - End - #233

NecromancerGuy

After a final, crushing swing of his heavy flail, Gundwolf turns from the collection of rubble that apparently used to be a sparring target and seems to notice the paladin. I am unaccustomed to fighting for less than my life, so I warn you that I may be a rougher playmate even than I mean to be. He grins savagely (but without malice) at Kristoph, baring his oversized canines in the process. However, you seem to be the only member of our motley crew who might not crumble from a single blow, so I leave it in your hands. Gently, almost reverently placing his preferred weapon on a nearby bench, Gund reaches for a giant sparring blade from a nearby rack and strikes a pose of readiness.
    Looking at the demolished sparring dummy, Kristoph simply says, "So I see," takes a defensive stance, and bows his head slightly. "I am ready."
    Spoiler: (Non-Lethal) Combat Mechanics
    Show
    (1d20+3)[5] Initiative
    Taking a total defense action, out of caution considering Gundwolf's recent aggression for AC of 22

After the barbarian's first attack, Kristoph continues to use total defense for several rounds, doing his best to stay just out of reach of the big half-orc. "Do you hate the undead, Gundwolf?" he asks, doing his best to keep his breath steady and even.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf nods at Kristoph and immediately attacks with his sparring sword:

Spoiler: Combat stuffs
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[4]

Using a borrowed sparring great sword:

A few rounds of attacks:
    Attack:(1d20+5)[19]
    CC:(1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll] <-- glad these didn't matter! lulz

Attack:(1d20+5)[11]
    CC:(1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll]

Attack:(1d20+5)[10]
    CC:(1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+6[roll]

Do you hate the undead, Gundwolf?
    Gundwolf snarls, Of course I do. They ripped away from me the only home I ever had, and what little family I have ever known.

Spoiler: Combat, cont.
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[10] <-- power attacking
    CC:(1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+9[roll]
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2014-07-15 at 03:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

NecromancerGuy

Gundwolf snarls, Of course I do. They ripped away from me the only home I ever had, and what little family I have ever known.
    "I see. You have good reason for your hatred, then," Kristoph replies calmly. Seeing the barbarian swinging his practice weapon more forcefully but with less control the paladin begins to make several cautious jabs of his own.

Spoiler: Sparring Mechanics
    Show
    Fighting Defensively, instead of using Total Defense, for an AC of 20.
    (1d20-1)[1] attack, (1d20-1)[18] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[9] damage

(1d20-1)[12] attack, (1d20-1)[2] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[8] damage

(1d20-1)[12] attack, (1d20-1)[18] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[7] damage

After several seconds of silence Kristoph asks, "If you hate the undead, do you love life and the living?"

Spoiler: More sparring mechanics
    Show
    Returning to Total Defense for an AC of 22.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Combat stuffs
    Show

Resuming normal attacks:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[13]
    CC: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[15]

Attack: (1d20+5)[9]
    CC: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[12]

Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    CC: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[10]

After several seconds of silence Kristoph asks, "If you hate the undead, do you love life and the living?"

Pausing to catch his breath after several fruitless swings, Gundwolf barks out, Life was thrust upon me, and likewise the living. As neither has shown love for me, I have little for either.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2014-07-15 at 06:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

A small crowd begins to gather around the two combatants as the sounds of their combat ring throughout the yard.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: Aurora, Elian, & others in the library
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    As the conversation draws to a close, Elian opens the door, just in time for Kristoph to walk out. Elian steps inside, taking in the library as he gently closes the door. This is some place! Goodness! I see our young academic has already gotten started. He smiles pleasantly as he walks to where Aurora is leaning over the case. Would you like company for this? I, for one, would be hesitant to open that case, were I in your position. The unknown carries its own breed of danger. I can attest for that personally.
    "Oh, Mister Evenst- um, Elian! Um..." she falls silent for a moment, "yes... yes! I suppose I would. Thank you..." She doesn't immediately open the case, though, instead turning it over and playing with it in her hands for several seconds. "But first... I think I owe you an apology..." She fidgets in her seat, but when she continues her voice is steady: "I've been thinking about what happened, and about what you said on the road... I should not have concealed this from you." She places the case on the table in front of them and forces herself to fold her hands in her lap. "As I was just explaining to Mister Kristoph, I- I acted rashly because I was afraid, for Professor Lorrimor's sake, of what this box could do to his reputation. They're already saying such hateful things about him!" She notices her voice rising and, breathing deeply, she takes hold of the table edge to steady herself. Soon, calmer, she continues, "Especially because of where we've seen this symbol before!" She taps the scarab. "Do you recognize it? It's the same symbol we saw on the locked tome in the professor's trunk!!! Mist- um, Elian, have you ever heard of The Esoteric Order of the Palantine Eye?"

She proceeds to describe the (little) she can recall having read about the secretive society.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Aurora, Elian, & others in the library
    Show

"Oh, Mister Evenst- um, Elian! Um..." she falls silent for a moment, "yes... yes! I suppose I would. Thank you..." She doesn't immediately open the case, though, instead turning it over and playing with it in her hands for several seconds. "But first... I think I owe you an apology..." She fidgets in her seat, but when she continues her voice is steady: "I've been thinking about what happened, and about what you said on the road... I should not have concealed this from you." She places the case on the table in front of them and forces herself to fold her hands in her lap. "As I was just explaining to Mister Kristoph, I- I acted rashly because I was afraid, for Professor Lorrimor's sake, of what this box could do to his reputation. They're already saying such hateful things about him!" She notices her voice rising and, breathing deeply, she takes hold of the table edge to steady herself. Soon, calmer, she continues, "Especially because of where we've seen this symbol before!" She taps the scarab. "Do you recognize it? It's the same symbol we saw on the locked tome in the professor's trunk!!! Mist- um, Elian, have you ever heard of The Esoteric Order of the Palantine Eye?"

She proceeds to describe the (little) she can recall having read about the secretive society.
    Spoiler: Library talk
    Show
    Elian pulls up a chair to the table, across from Aurora. Smiling almost passively, he looks her in the eye just slightly longer than is comfortable. His vibrantly green eyes seem to almost glow in the lamplight. After a moment, he relaxes his gaze, and purses his lips in thought before responding. Fear makes people do things they normally would not. You are certainly forgiven, though I would caution you, again, to consider the consequences of your actions. Even well-intentioned actions can have negative repercussions. Furthermore, true forgiveness is hard to come by, and I am afraid that our flail-wielding companion is perhaps overly eager to making use of said instrument as an alternative to thought. That said, just as I give you the benefit of the doubt as a favor to the late professor, I will do the same for him. I can only surmise, at this juncture, what the professor knew of him which we do not. Gods, I hope he does not decide to kill me. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant way to go... He shudders slightly before continuing.

As for this case, I had noted the similarity between the icon here and the locked tome back at the Lorrimore estate. I cannot say I had recognized it, per say, as I have not heard of this order, except very briefly in passing. I have certainly never learned enough to develop any opinion regarding their actions or reputations. I did overhear your explanation to our friend Kristoph, so I am not fully in the dark here. I have to admit, your assertion seems the most likely explanation. Whether the professor was a member, or worked with them, it cannot reasonably be denied that in some capacity the two are linked. Perhaps not cooperatively, but perhaps so. Again, I can do little more than guess without more compelling evidence one way or the other.

Shall we see what this trinket contains?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: More library talk
    Show
    Aurora alternatively sniffles and looks down at her feet while Elian is speaking.
    I can only surmise, at this juncture, what the professor knew of [Gundwolf] which we do not. Gods, I hope he does not decide to kill me. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant way to go...
    Aurora manages a weak smile as she looks up and wipes... something, out of her eye and goes back to "perusing" the tomes in front of her...

I have to admit, your assertion seems the most likely explanation. Whether the professor was a member, or worked with them, it cannot reasonably be denied that in some capacity the two are linked. Perhaps not cooperatively, but perhaps so. Again, I can do little more than guess without more compelling evidence one way or the other.

Shall we see what this trinket contains?
    At last making eye contact, Aurora looks up with a tentative smile, and, abruptly, reaches across the table to seize Elian's hand with her own.

"Yes, let's see." With a determined look on her face, she flips open the case's cover and pulls out the contents...
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-07-15 at 10:11 PM.
    Show