New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Since a wonderfully free and open summer is before me, I figured it might be fun to do a quick little side LP. Because I have attention-span problems.

So I decided it was time for me and Sherman to fire up the wayback machine and do another game that ranks among my favorite childhood games, actually the first game I owned that wasn't a hand-me-down from my older brother. I've owned or purchased about 4-5 copies of this game over the years, and I think it's really my favorite Harvest Moon game.

For anyone unaware of the Harvest Moon franchise, it's a farming sim with some affection-building-based elements, with raising the affection of townspeople via gifts and conversation, including young marriable folk who have special scenes. It's a game of resource management: how do you schedule your day? How do you balance the need to generously give gifts and further relationships with the need to make money? How do you apportion your limited stamina? Those are the central questions asked of a Harvest Moon player, and each game has different solutions.
    Harvest Moon 64 is the second console Harvest Moon game, and is generally considered the hardest to find (relative to the want to play, anyway) and one of the games. It's sort of the cult classic of a series that is, in and of itself, a sort of "Cult classic" type of series. It's considered very challenging to do perfectly, more so than other HM games, but not nearly as time-consuming, and its subject matter and gameplay are fairly different from other Harvest Moon games.

And now I get to share it with you!

So let's... play... Harvest Moon 64~!

Index of Chapters

Cast of Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Fox
    Our hero. A young man who grew up in the city as a rebellious slacker. Would make a good hipster if only he cared more. Enjoys drinking, womanizing, annoying his father, reading, goofing off, and muffins. This is his story, so he'll be telling you more about him.

Ann
    One of the single young ladies in town. Ann is friendly, boistrous, and a little bit boyish -- a fact that she's sometimes somewhat miffed when someone pulls attention to. Her family runs Green Ranch, and she has a love of animals the the great outdoors. She has a bit of a temper.

Elli
    The bakery's poster girl (hey, don't look at me. That's what the guide calls her), she's sweet, domestic, and demure. She's somewhat concerned with the bakery's business and her weight (due to her fondness for sweets), and considers herself a dutiful granddaughter. She likes fishing.

Karen
    The rebellious daughter of the vineyard. A wild girl, sometimes aloof and sometimes playful, who loves to dance. She keeps no real schedule, but works at the bar most nights. She dreams of far-off city lights, and has something of a cynical streak. Like Fox, she sees her father as an obstacle to her happiness. She hasn't introduced herself to Fox yet, but he knows her name through other people.

Maria
    The daughter of the mayor, Maria is shy and delicate. She's basically pure-hearted, and easily lied to and mislead. She runs the library, and books are her passion. There's more to her than meets the eye, since she's somewhat private with her interests.

Popuri
    The daughter of the flower shop, Popuri loves every bright and growing things. She's a little spacey, but she's sweet and energetic. She's a little childish, especially when you try and point that out. She waters the sidewalk often, a mysterious ritual with unknown purpose.

Gray
    He hasn't told us his name yet, but that's what it is. He's Ann's older brother, and is accurately described as "A Social Disaster." He's sullen, quiet, and anti-social... But somewhere deep down under the layers of grump is a soft spot. Loves horses particularly, but likes other animals as well. He has an odd walk that Fox hasn't quite placed yet.

Kai
    A man who lives and works at the Vineyard -- he travelled from a distant place before eventually settling down here, though he's not so settled that he wouldn't get up and go if there weren't something he wanted to stay for... He acts as an observer to the family drama, and is sympathetic to both sides... But he does have his preference.

Mayor Thomas
    But everyone calls him Mayor. In fact, it's totally possible to live thinking his name is just "the Mayor." It's not entirely clear how he got to be mayor, and the town doesn't have elections... Well, it's for the best. He's a caring man who loves his town and his family. And potatoes.

Anna
    The Mayor's wife and Maria's mother, Anna is an elegant and refined woman... So she's probably from out of town, and she's a little out of place here. She lives a relatively quiet life, sticking close to her house. She has a deep faith.

Gotz
    Karen's dad, a rough man who runs the Vineyard. Business hasn't been doing so well, and Karen's old enough to start considering her independance seriously... And neither of those things has been good for the small family. Karen yells and cries, Gotz yells and drinks...And her mother...Well, we'll see.

Doug
    Ann and Gray's father, and the owner of the local ranch. A widower of many years, he has some concerns about the way he's raised his children... But he perseveres all the same. While a little rough around the edges, he's not as anti-social as some, and looks forward to teaching that little punk (In other words, Fox) a thing or two about animals.

Lillia
    The owner of the plant shop, Lillia is Popuri's mother. She's not single, but her husband is often away... Don't get the wrong idea, though: she'll flirt, but it's just playfulness. Is seriously hoping to see Popuri marry a nice man, who makes her as happy as her husband's spring return.

Ellen
    Elli's grandmother, so she technically owns the bakery... But she no longer does much baking there, preffering to spend her days rocking in the sun. She's a gentle old woman who remembers Fox's grandfather quite fondly. She tends to get somewhat philosophical, perhaps aware that her final years are upon her now...

Rick
    An inventor who runs the tool shop (badly). Rick tends to be dreamy and full of impractical ideas, and Ann sees it as her job to set him straight. It never works. He tries hard and is very friendly... But unreliable at best.

Duke
    The bartender. Everyone calls him... Duke, actually. He has a name, you know. He's a thoughtful man who enjoys being the eternal recepticle of people's problems. His bar is the only thing open in the evenings, so even relatively mild people use it. As a result, he knows a few things...

Zack
    The shipper. He travels around collecting shipped items and selling them to people -- as a result, he has little time for his family, and is only ever seen in-town at the bar and at festivals. In spite of his worries, he's a cheerful man.

The Harvest Sprites
    They are the Harvest Sprites, and they are all good friends, OK? They can only be seen by those with a deep connection to the land, as they are the mountain spirits that protect this place. Fox saw them when he was young, and they've apparently not spoken to a human since. They speak pig latin for some reason. There are three of them.

Prologue: Standard Old-School HM plot go!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring-1-XXX1

Normally, this time of year on a perfect afternoon, I'd be recovering from the New Years Eve hangover with a pretty girl (who definately looked prettier last night). I'd be in a place where the air smells like smog, miles away from falling cherry blossoms.
    But today, I went ahead of everyone to reach a little country village at the end of the world. Today, I sat by a dying man's bedside and held his hand.
    Today is my grandfather's wake. So here I am.

I just sort of stand there, not really a part of any group. My dad hasn't arrived yet; he had work to do. And Mom? She died. A long, long time ago. Don't worry about it.
    Don't be too sad for me, alright?... Heck, maybe don't even be sad for him. He lived a long life. He worked hard -- maybe he should have stopped working his farm years ago, but since the alternative would be moving in with his son, my dad...
    Yeah, good call Grandpa. Good, good call. He went peacefully, and died in his own bed. He didn't want to be kept alive on tubes or moved to a hospital; the land had provided for him, and except for these last couple of years he had taken good care of it; I think...I think he wanted not to leave it. And, once they get done digging the grave, it'll take care of him.

That farm, like I overheard the Pastor trying to say, doesn't have anyone to watch over it now. That...That bugs me.
    Dad tried to get away from his father's life, all of it, as much as possible. It worked pretty well for him, I guess. I think it turned him to a lifeless, uptight slob whose only purpose is to move piles of paperwork through their vast office migrational route, making a lot of money to keep his worthless son afloat...
    But eh. He likes it so much he's spent my life ramming it down my throat, so soulless works for him.
    ...I don't know what works for me, to be honest. Partying? That's just a thing I do. Avoiding doing work for that nice job Dad got me? It's a hobby.
    But something that I do, for me, the way Grandpa had his farm or Dad is a workplace drone...

"Hey, have another drink!" An old lady who was by my grandpa's bed called off, breaking the silence of the town square. What sort of village combines a wake and a cherry blossom-viewing?

A village with some awesome old people, I guess.
    I'm not the sort of person who likes going around with a frown on his face everywhere; even if I can't smile, I'd at least like to look chill.

"This is a nice wake. Thank you, Mayor...?"
    "Thomas, Just call me Thomas. It wasn't really an organized thing -- we're not very formal here."
    The man is sniffling. The man is a sniffler.
    I feel the deep-seated urge to run before he...Oh, oh no...

He takes out an embroidered hankerchief and starts to cry.
    I appreciate his sympathy, but it just leaves me standing there, not knowing what to say. We don't know each-other. Do I just stand here and wait?

"It's just so sad... He was such a kind and gentle man...We'll all miss him..."
    "Yeah...He was really nice."
    I only met him a few times -- he'd come into the city for some holidays, and I spent a summer at the farm once, after Mom died... But I think of him fondly. He was a really nice guy, and it looks like even at his age, he had a lot of friends.
    I guess the smile on my face is a little sad or fake-looking, because the mayor changes the subject.

"So, do you know what you're going to do with the farm? I understand that to a young man from the city, there's not much appeal, but I was wondering who would handle the sale for you..."
    "...Wait. What? What do you mean 'what am I going to do with the farm?"
    "...Y-you didn't know? I thought... He'd have mentioned... That his last will passes it down to you."
    Now he's stopped crying, but looks like he just knocked down a hornet's nest.

...Grandpa left me the farm?...I wonder if that had anything to do with what he was saying...

I get the chance to escape the wake after that. And, before I know it, my feet lead me back to the farm.

The place has gone downhill over the years; I guess his health was worse than Grandpa let on.
    But in my mind's eye, I can see the sort of place it was.

The fields clear and full of heavy tomatoes and corn for the summer, a pasture for the animals...
    The grass was green and the sun was long and it was the best place to be when I was a kid. I liked helping out with the chores, and I liked going and picking fruits and berries from the mountain.
    ...Maybe I liked it a little too much. The freedom I had, I didn't have when I got home. Dad... Dad didn't like the things he felt Grandpa had told me, or the stuff I was interested in, and he ended up refusing to take me back. He wanted me to fly straight, work hard, be an ordinary guy and a businessman with a good education. Well, I let him have the last two, but I'm not going to fly straight to such a miserable goal.

This farm... Maybe it was the last place I was really happy.
    My father comes walking up, interrupting my thoughts.

"...Yeah. This morning. Sure took you long enough." I shrug.
    "Something important popped up for work. If you took your life more seriously, maybe you'd understand what it was to have important obligations."
    "Maybe I'd know what it was to have important obligations if you didn't shove meaningless ones down my throat."
    "I'm trying to make sure you have a good life!"
    "No, no you're not! You're trying to make sure I have your life."
    "My life is a good life, and you'd like it if you gave it a chance!"
    In other words, we have an ordinary Tuesday conversation.
    Until I say something full of collossal dumbness.

"Your life meant you couldn't be there for your own father on his deathbed!"

We both freeze. There's as invisible line of our relationship: I don't imply he doesn't love his family even as he strangles it, he doesn't cut me off or try and try and make this about any love I have or do not have for him. Because we do that, we can at least not completely hate one-another.
    And I just blew it. He shakes his head.

"Don't you dare! What would you know about priorities? You've never done anything for yourself or for anyone else."

"Just... Stay here and don't get in any trouble."

I never got to mention the whole farm thing.
    I hear something coming up behind me and turn around to see a dog. I guess it must have been Grandpa's: it looks like the dog he had when I was here last

He wags his tail and sits down, staring at me.

"Hey there, little buddy. Whatsa matter? You lonely?"
    The dog barks.
    "Who's gonna watch out for you, huh?"
    The dog licks my hand.
    "What, me?"
    ...I pause, and look up.
    The funeral incense that's scattered about town seems to coalsce into a single plume of smoke, rising up...
    And it pulls my vision to the mountain framing it.

That mountain... That's where it all started with my Dad and I.
    I could have sworn -- I thought -- I definately think I met a goddess there, and little sprites even smaller than I was. My dad didn't take kindly to that: he wanted me to grow up and stop talking nonsense, or maybe he thought I was crazy. I remember going to some therapists, but after a meeting or two (where they asked about Mom, who'd died that year, a lot), Dad would turn them down and take me to another one. After a few, he just stopped, and instead... Every day it was study, or practice the clarinet, or go to an office get-together, or study some more -- and no, you can't go to the park, no, you can't go back to see Grandpa, you have summer tutoring so you can be ready for honors classes next year. You've got to take life seriously. That sort of thing.
    I think that was when I started to resent him, and he started to resent me. I never mentioned the Goddess again; even the people who thought I was healthy didn't believe me -- they just thought it was an imaginary friend I made in a strange place to help me cope with Mom's death, or something.

...But, you know, there really was a strange person, floating over the pond. And she said to me, right before I left...
    "Your heart speaks to this land, and so it answers... Because the two are connected, for as long as you live."

Maybe I was just lonely, but... Looking at that mountain again, I feel those words ringing to my head.
    It speaks to me, and so... Do I answer?
    Is this what Grandpa was asking me to do?

I watch that smoke for a long time.

"Well, it looks like --"
    "I'm taking over the farm."

Dad stops in his tracks.
    "What?"
    "The mayor said Grandpa passed it to me. And I want to run it."
    "What about your work? That job wasn't easy to get!"
    "I hate my job. I'd do anything to quit."

"Is that what this is about?"
    "No. Yeah. Kind of... I want to do this because I think I'll be happier here than I am there. Maybe I want to actually do something I find important, huh?"
    "I won't let you goof off. I won't have this as a second college! My son will be successfull!"
    "I won't goof off! And I don't need you running my life -- what sort of success is that?"

He looks at me appraisingly. Maybe for the first time in years I look really serious about something.

"3 years. If you can bring this around in 3 years, I'll leave you to it, and say that my son is successful... If you can't, you'll come back with me, and we'll leave all this silliness behind."
    "Oh, boy, more ruling my life, but this time with special rules. I like how you're making it sound like I have a choice, like it's some sort of bet -- that's a real class touch."
    "So you were just joking around, after all."
    "...Fine. 3 years."

We go walking out to tell the mayor about my choice. He pauses.

"Yes! I'm not a kid, Dad. I'm not just trying to run away." That's just a fortunate bonus.

He says it with an oddly tender look I haven't seen in years.
    "I've lived my life without compromise; maybe this'll help you do the same."

"A little compromise is good... But I do think I need to do my own thing."
    He nods to that last part.

"I'll handle the rest; it's my last favor for you for the next 3 years, and don't you forget it."
    I shrug him off, and he begins to walk away. Then, at the last minute, he turns to ask me something.

I shrug.
    I don't answer him... But... Grandpa told me something, and it's one of the things that made me want to try this.
    I'm not sure I get what he was picturing, or what he wanted, but... I felt it in my soul, and it's still clanging around my head.

Have a Wonderful Life.

To summarize for anyone who's unfamiliar, we have to take this disused old farm and build a happy and productive life on it before the MC's father comes back on the first day of Summer, Year 3 (So, actually, we have 2 years and a season, but shhhhhh).

Another feature I'd like to do until I get bored of it: a typo report, of all the typos I notice during the playing of a chapter, even ones that don't make it in the chapter proper. Harvest Moon 64 was either rushed for the christmas season or just not invested into editing at all, because it is a very typo-and-text-error heavy game.
    Prologue Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show

So, of course, I start off with the typo of lore.
    *slowclap*
    Good work, Natsume. Gooood work. We can't even get past the opening screen without a typo. And it's the localizing company's name, no less.

Compared to that, not capitalizing 'grandpa' when they should is a pretty minor offense.

I'm not counting wierd over-elipses or the nonstandard spelling of 'yeah' here. Still, this is a lot of typos for not even having chosen a save file yet.

Ok, now for some voting! We need the following things before we go and explore the lovely Flower Bud Village!

• Our hero needs a name! The character limit is 6, so we don't have a lot of space. His default name is apparently "Pete," but I heard it as "Jack" a lot growing up. But both of those names are kind of dull, right?
    • A birthday! Well, not a birth "day," since it's always the 25th, but the season. For those of you not aware of how Harvest Moon calenders work, a year is divided into 4 season-months of 30 days each, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. So we need to pick a season. For the record, before we're married, the girl with the highest affection (if it's high enough by that point) will bring us a special key item present unique to her for our birthday, so we may want some time to build up affection.
    • The name of our farm! The character limit is again 6, and when used in dialogue, most characters will automatically add "farm" to it, saving us the trouble.
    • The dog's name! The dog participates in a festival and can participate in an event (and a pretty nice glitch, too), and this event confirms that our doggy's a boy. Once again, 6 letters max.

We actually have a lot more to vote on than that, but I think I might save that for next time... It's strategy stuff, and this is a crowded post.

I hope you'll all have some fun reading this LP.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-12-24 at 11:08 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

This was actually the first game I ever purchased with my own money, and I played it to death (or at least until every N64 controller the family owned finally broke down). Needless to say, I'm excited.

Not too sure on any of the names, so I'll let the more creative playgrounders figure those out.

I'm going to vote for a fall birthday though, since, if I remember right, the end of Winter tended to get pretty busy with New Year's. Also, fall is an awesome season anyways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Oh boy. I am so totally going to have fun following this along. :3

Names, hm? Let's see...

That Boy...: Fox - Because I like animal names, and I like to think that his father had some influence on it. Plus I don't think it would be too outlandish, while also being decidedly unique.

A Season: Fall - Because I am partial to children born in the fall. <.<

Farm Name: Clover, both a thing you can grow on a farm and a symbol of luck.

Doggy!: Link, because I can't help but think that grandpa let Fox name his puppy, and that the city-grown boy decided to name him after a video game character. Also because it sets a precedent to name our horse Epona later. <.< >.>
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    That Boy...: Fox

A Season: Fall

Farm Name: Clover

Doggy!: Link
    I will second all of these as I find them satisfactory.

I too dearly loved this game as a kid. I read about it in an old issue of Nintendo Power and it just sounded so fun (and it was). I played hours and hours and hours of it, even though I wasn't actually very good. I went back to it years later when I no longer sucked at video games and was able to do so much better, but it was still a challenge to manage the time you're given to best effect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Name: Bram (My neighbor's name is Bram; he's awesome)

Birthday: Winter

Farm: Redfox

Dog: Harker (Or Link; I like the Epona idea...)
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post

I too dearly loved this game as a kid. I read about it in an old issue of Nintendo Power and it just sounded so fun (and it was). I played hours and hours and hours of it, even though I wasn't actually very good. I went back to it years later when I no longer sucked at video games and was able to do so much better, but it was still a challenge to manage the time you're given to best effect.
    This is actually how I came across the game, too (though, at the time, it was the current issue of Nintendo Power). Also, man, did I suck at it when I was a kid... I used to be really proud when I got Popuri up to a green heart in the first winter... Popuri, of all people... *shakes head at younger self in shame*

...Also, in terms of naming the horse we'll be getting ...Why don't we go ahead and do that now? That way, It'll fit more seemlessly into the narrative, and if you want a female name, I can make sure to just type out the dialogue where our horse is Cliff-Horse's (I like to think that the horse Cliff is the 'Cliffguard' who shows up in the racing bets from time to time, so I may sometimes call him that) brother so that she's his sister. Unlike our dog, our horse never does anything that relates to its sex, so that's fine.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-08 at 10:17 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I think I already voiced the nomination for the horse to be Epona
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I used to be really proud when I got Popuri up to a green heart in the first winter... Popuri, of all people... *shakes head at younger self in shame*
    Popuri's the crazy flower girl with the huge red eyes who constantly looks like she's about to tear out the farmboy's throat, right? Let's stay away from her.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I already voiced the nomination for the horse to be Epona
    You're basing this branding entirely on the idea that our steed is a mare, mind you.

If it's a stallion, he shall be christened Agro, Slayer of Giants, and all the beasts in all the land shall fear the might of his jerky controls.

So it is written, so it shall be maybe I hope.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

I support the name Agro for the horse.

As for the dog, since I just finished reading my Homer class, I'd like to see him be called Argus.

11. - Top - End - #11

Nth-ing Agro.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

That Boy...: Fox
    A Season: Fall
    Farm Name: Clover,
    Doggy!: Link,
    Adding my vote to these and a vote for Agro for the horse's name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Dog's Name: Sam
    Boy's Name: Max (Freelance Police! )
    Farm's Name: ...I got nothing, Clover sounds good, I guess.
    Season: Spring, just to be somewhat different than everyone else and it's symbolic of new beginnings, which we're definitely channeling at the moment.
    Horse's Name: Spirit (eh, I just like the name, no real reason otherwise)
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I keep accidentally deleting this post as I make it. Grrr.

Chapter 1: Introductions
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring-2-xxx1

The next half-day is a blur of paperwork.

"Yes, I've checked them six times." I know Fox is not a normal name, but they don't have to ask me about it 6 times...
    Anyway, I kind of like it: foxes are a lot of cool things. Sly, slick, clever, crazy... All pretty good stuff.

My grandfather called "clover"...Well, I think it's because of a story he told me about clover leaves.
    "On a four-leaf clover, all the leaves have a meaning. The meanings are hope, faith, love, and luck -- and that's what you need to get through life."
    ...Or maybe I heard that in a videogame. Don't take things too sappily.

WHY DO THEY EVEN WANT TO KNOW THAT?! That has nothing to do with my ownership of the farm!
    I think they're just trapping me...Maybe they're padding the paperwork out so that it'll trap me under an avalanche and they can turn the farm into an amusement park...

Anyway, it's Link.

I do manage to finish it in time to have lunch at my new place.
    ...It's not very impressive. And I'm applying that to both my cooking and my residence.

Still, this isn't much less furnishing than I had in college, and the room's much bigger.
    ...On the other hand, my TV in college had more than 4 channels... Not that the 4th one functions.

I step outside to see the Mayor on the lawn.

"..You have lots of questions."
    "Yeah, I remember you from yesterday."
    "I thought I'd help you get acquainted with things! Shall I show you around the village?"
    "Yeah, sounds good."

"...Towards Moon Mountain, and our lovely vineyard."
    Wine, you say?
    "They have a daughter about your age, actually."
    Young women with wine, you say?

No, no, go back to the wine.
    "They'll teach you how to raise animals. Oh, and they're looking to find a home for a young horse of theirs."
    Oh, that's interesting. I guess we can leave behind the wine. For now.
    "So you should drop by before the end of Spring."
    "Yeah, I'll do that."

We head on in to town.

"They sell vegetables and grass seeds, and they can tell you what to do."
    The young woman with the bright pink hair and eyes to match offers me a wave and a chipper smile. She's probably a little bit younger than me, but she gives the impression of a bigger gap.

"...And vegetables."
    "Hey, now, I don't need a sales-pitch. I've got a farm to run..."
    She's actually really cute, in a bubble-gum pop idol sort of way... So I give her my introductory flirting gaze: a single sweep of her figure, not too lingering but clearly focused at her, then hold the eye contact for a few seconds -- I'm a fan of three, but you can go as long as five if it's crowded -- and then you flash a little smile and look away. Maybe punctuate the looking with not-looking.
    "But I'll be sure to stop by and see you."
    "Alright then. We'll see you around!"
    I realize then that she is completely unaware that I was trying to open the door to some flirting. It's not that she's not interested (well, she might not be). It's that she just has no clue.
    Her pink eyes are like bright, innocent abysses.
    The girl's mother gives a sad little head shake. She knew what was what.

After that we see the church, which apparently doubles as a one-room school for the local kids.

Booze, you say? I approve of this town.

But not if you keep rhyming, man.

That's where the wake was, too.

That looks like there are two shops, actually.
    "You can buy farm tools and sundry goods there."

"Sup?"
    "Well, I'm considering this space-distorter..."
    Dude, I did not mean that literally.
    "Space-Distorter?"
    "I'm more of an inventor than a salesman. I'd like a few test subjects for my newest project, so if you can find some plants -- flowers, maybe? -- and bring them over, it'll be a big help."
    What is this, an RPG fetch-quest?
    "I'll see what I can do, man." Because if it is, it's a fetch quest with *mad science*. And I'm down with that.

I bet you're already expecting me to say 'muffins, you say?' and you'd be right normally...
    But my train of thought is completely derailed by the pretty girl standing in front of it. She's got a very different sort of charm than her neighbor; a sort of hard cider girl to pinky's pina colada, warm and earthy (I can always tell what a girl drinks; it's a very handy superpower on Singles' Night). This girl... She's got this charming little smile, but it's got a bit of thoughtfulness to it. She looks like a real warm and friendly person, the sort I'd really like to get to know. Like the pink-haired girl, she has this purity, this gentleness to her expression, that makes my heart beat faster. She looks like a real warm and friendly person, the sort I'd really like to get to know.
    ...Of course, this does not preclude some very friendly time. Of course, girls in this town seem to need a magnifying glass to find a clue...

"Oh, I definately will...But I doubt there's anything sweeter than you."[/color]
    So subtlety's out the window.
    "We make the best cakes in town, so you'll just have to try."
    ...Ok, she's not offended... She's not teasing... She's just completely oblivious.
    Please don't tell me these boonies don't train their girls to flirt. That's...

In that moment, it occurs to me that I am completely unprepared for country living.

"I will, though I think money's going to be tight for a while."
    "I can only imagine. Those lawyer fees are something, aren't they?"
    I think I'll have to take it the slow and old-fashioned way. Maybe even flowers and chocolate-style.
    "Yeah. Well, wish me luck!"

We walk over to the other side of town, where I notice some kids playing. This town... There's probably more here, but there's not a lot of people.

There weren't a lot of kids when I came here... But I remember playing some games with the kids I could find...
    I wonder if any of them were the girls I've been meeting...
    Meanwhile, the mayor is blathering about the potion shop or something. It's not like I have much money for medicine; like I told the bakery girl, things are tight. Between quitting my job, my dad cutting me off, moving, and lawyer's fees to get this done quicky, the money went away fast.

"...Good use of it."
    Another building, another pretty girl. This one tries to hide behind her mother, but glances at my nervously over the rim of her glasses, hitting me hard with a glance from these big grey eyes. She bows and whispers something inaudably, but her mom (I'm guessing) starts up before I can ask her to repeat.

"Well, I think I've showed you all the main places. Take care and good luck."
    "I'll do my best!"
    Otherwise, I'll be my father's slave for life.

Anyway, I guess I need to go handle the rest of the paperwork and moving. I turn and walk away. I actually do like reading, so I'll have to see if I can't get something out of the library girl next time.

"W-welcome to our t-town..."
    "Maria, honey, he's gone... I'm sure you'll get another chance to say hello. But with volume this time."

And then I meet this guy when I'm heading back.

"That's right."
    "Nice to meet you. I'm a buyer. Your grandfather and I knew each other for a long time."

Ok, yeah. Mental vacation time.
    I basically tune out the rest of his tutorial on putting stuff in boxes so he can give me money. It is an elaborate and mysterious ritual.

Everyone keeps saying that... I guess I look like I need all the help I can get.

Spring - 3 - XXX1

Another morning, another riceball. The town's going to be sleeping for a while, and I don't know how far my seed money will last, so why don't I go check out those mountains?

I pick up some stuff that's lying around and looks useful -- a berry, some herbs. Maybe some flower for some ladies... Because that's how it works out in the boondocks... *twitch*
    And I run into this guy.

"You know what they say about all work and no play... It's good to have a hobby."
    Man, don't I know it?
    "How about fishing?"
    "Yeah, I like to fish well enough."

"After you equip it, use the B button to cast."
    What's all this B button business?
    "If you get a bite, quickly release the B button!"
    Yeah, I'm just nodding and smiling, and leaving mister fisher-guy to his delusions of a B button.

...Low-expenditure money-making method, you say?

Well, my time's not infinite. More mountaineering a-go!

From here I pick up a few more flowers, a nice-looking berry, and another herb that looks like it might be healthy.
    And I'm ready to hit the town!

...But first, I think I'd like to see that vineyard. After all, I like me some wine. Maybe they'll have a use for this berry.

As I approach the vineyard, I get the feeling of a sudden strained atmosphere. Yes, I smell...
    *a filial argument!*

And out comes barelling a slender, tear-stained beauty with the greenest eyes I've ever seen. I don't think she's noticed me yet. I don't want to get involved.

"You should let me have my way!"

She goes rushing out past me...
    And a man I assume to be her dad follows.

"What an undutiful daughter!"
    ...Man, I wonder if my family squabbles sound like that.

He goes storming back, and I decide to see if there's anyone I can get more information about this scene from. I find a guy standing a little uneasily. He flashes an awkward smile.

"She's the Vineyard Master's daughter. She says she wants..."

"Ah. Well, hang in there."

Maybe I'll see her around sometime. But that guy, her dad... He can't stop her from doing what she thinks is best for her. It's not about "duty."

Well, since things'll be open now, I may as well hit up the flower shop.

Hey, bakery girl's here.
    "Hey! I didn't expect to see you here."

"So we need to get the freshest ingredients from the florists' greenhouse. I usually go on my days off."
    "Oh, that makes sense." I guess. I'm not sure what they'd sell here that'd be good for baking with...
    "I'm sorry to keep pushing you, but you really need to try some. They're great. <3"
    "And you need the business?" She laughs
    "You've got me there, Mr...?"
    "Fox."
    "Nice to meet you, Mr. Fox. I'm Elli."
    "A pleasure. Ah...I picked up something I think'd suit you..."[/color]
    I take out a flower I picked and handed it to her. Flowers and chocolates indeed.

"You're welcome."

Now, to do some shopping...

"One package costs 200g."
    200g! 200?...That's almost all my money. I can't even afford two packets of seeds... That's...Kind of pathetic.
    "Well, guess I got to spend money to make money."

I spot the florist's daughter outside the shop, happily watering the...sidewalk? Well, whatever makes her happy.

I stop her mid-sentence. "Uhhh... I sort of met you yesterday. Remember?"
    "Oh, yeah! Silly me." She bonks herself on the head with a little smile.
    "No worries. Here, have a flower to make up for it."
    She lights up like the sun when she sees that. Even if it's slightly mussed from being in my backpack, she just glows.

"I-it's just a flower from the mountains..."
    "Still! It's a wonderful gift. People who give others flowers must be really good people -- it's like a secret code that lets you into the secret organization of good people. Or something like that <3"
    ...What? Well... I guess...?

Next up...Maybe I'll take a lunchtime break at the library. It sounds like a good idea, anyway.

I was kind of expecting the woman I actually spoke to to be there. The Librarian burrows her head in a book when she sees me. Her expression looks like a frightened rabbit.

Huh. A kid's section, huh? I actually kind of have a soft spot for fairytales...
    "T-that's my favorite section."
    It spoke!
    "Yeah, there's something about a good fairytale that follows you forever, right?"
    She nods. I walk over.

"I'm Fox, by the way."

"A pleasure."
    She edges around nervously, avoiding my eyes. I heft the illustrated book of fairytales in my hand.
    "Is it alright if I borrow this?"
    She nods.
    "Alright...You know, I've got a spare flower or two in my bag, but I don't think they'll sell for anything."
    "N-no...You're better off giving them as gifts. Or k-keeping them. You don't have to if you don't..." She trails off.
    "Well, then, here."

Ah, now that's a really cute little smile. But I don't think she'd be able to function if I told her that.

There's just one more place I want to check out today... The ranch. They said something about a horse.

There's no one around the front portion...

But there's a nice-looking horse in the pasture.
    "Hey there, big guy... Where are your people? They inside?"

I reach to pet him, but he snorts and turns his head, his ears pinned back. Message recieved -- back away from the horse.

That's when I hear someone approaching and see -- you guessed it -- yet another girl. Rather than being upset with me about messing with her horse, she flashes me a bright smile.

"Yeah, I like horses well enough...Actually, I came here to see about getting a horse."
    I'm not even going to try. Nope, not even gonna.

Let me guess: liking horses is another password for the secret organization of good people.

She looks me over and seems to give me some thought. This is a completely different sort of analysis than I'm used to getting from a girl -- that doesn't surprise me. Nothing's normal here. After a while, she nods.

"Say, I need to ask you something."
    Still, I kind of like this odd little town.

"Wait here a minute."
    She leaves, and comes back...

With a very scowly gentleman. And by gentleman, I mean some sort of angry cowboy... There was something odd about his walk, but I couldn't place it before he was staring at me with eyes so blue they seemed to pierce my soul.

"Reflexes are quick. Seems good, don't you think?"
    He gave me a look that implied two things.
    #1: His internal systems were, in fact, made of ice. His eyes were actually portals to his inner glacier-heart.
    #2: He thought I was the worst dude to ever step onto this ranch.

That's a wonderfully succint summary of my assesment of your opinion, Mr. Angry Cowboy.
    And, with that, he storms off.

"Eh, no hard feelings."
    "Truth is, we want you to enter in the local horse races. Good competition will really show our ranches' best features, right? So to help you enter the..."

"Really? Awesome!"

At this time, an older guy -- I guess their dad? -- comes walking up, leading a young horse. I wonder how all that happened so fast -- when I notice mr. glacier in the distance, watching us and leaning against a fence. ... Maybe he's not so bad, for an angry cowboy.

"...responsible and giving, you can take the colt."
    "Yeah, I can do that."
    In for a penny, in for a pound, right?

He leads the pony off and the rancher girl gives me a smile.
    "Thank you! Do your best and..."

"Please take good care of him. If you can treat him with love, he'll grow up to be strong."
    "I'll do my best."

It occurs to us both that we've not introduced ourselves. She laughs.

"specializes in animal care, so if you want to raise animals, talk to my dad!"
    "Nice to meet you, Ann." I give her my intro.
    ...And, I figure I still have a flower to get rid of.

No problem.

I see that angry cowboy's still watching us.
    "Sup? I'm Fox."

"...Well...See ya round?"
    He glares.
    "...Alrighty, then."

I figure with this, it's time to get to work on the farm. There's a lot to do.

Yes, yes there is. We need to get talking strategy.

Now, for those of you more familiar with other Harvest Moon games, or not familiar with HM at all, HM64 has one kind of neat feature to show your accomplishments in-game. The photo album. You win festivals, participate in events, build up your farm... And you get pictures of it. Each girl also has a picture event, achievable with high enough affection (yellow or pink heart, I think). And then, at the end of the game... If you've done everything *just* so, you can also get a picture for a good evaluation: the party picture. This picture's full requirements took over 10 years for the fandom to discover, and I'd like to try and get it, which means things like making lots of friends and being married by the end of Summer, Year 2.

For everything else... Well, let's talk that. We could play very agressive and try and get it all done, getting all the girls to Pink by mid-winter at the latest (and, for the sake of events, getting married by spring), playing hard and fast and desperately trying not to miss a beat...
    And probably utilizing the music box glitch and the Harvest Goddes for more affection boosts, while we're at it (and, I admit, I've never actually pulled it off).

Or we can play it more casually, probably not getting all the photos or wooing quite so many girls at once, but being a bit less rushed. We'd probably get married in summer, year 2, but we could do it earlier if you guys don't care about poor Maria's picture.

We can switch strategies any time, but for an agressive playthrough, this time period is the most important.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-15 at 01:56 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Well, considering this is my first experience with the game, I'd like to see everything it has to offer.

So let's plow through it with an Aggressive Approach!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Take the approach/playstyle that will be most fun and enjoyable for you.

I'm not gonna be heartbroken if we don't get everything, and frantically rushing for everything could leave you burnt out. So if you wanna go casual and steady, that's quite fine.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I vote for a casual approach because they make for more interesting narratives. Plus you have to be pretty dedicated to this game to get everything there is to be got, and I think you'd have more fun doing a let's play if you don't have to worry about it so much.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

As completionist as I tend to be, I think a casual LP fits Harvest Moon better that balls to the wall for achievements.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #19

As I care more about whatever narrative you weave than the game, I vote for casual.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

The narrative I was planning on weaving was going to try and get all the girl's photo events as soon as I can anyway, actually. They're cute little scenes, and anything that breaks up monotony is good. So if that's a concern, don't sweat it.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post

Or we can play it more casually, probably not getting all the photos or wooing quite so many girls at once, but being a bit less rushed. We'd probably get married in summer, year 2, but we could do it earlier if you guys don't care about poor Maria's picture.
    I know nothing about this game, but I already care MOST about Maria...
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

*Is also kind of a Maria Fan*

Chapter 2: He Works Hard for the Money
    Spoiler
    Show

I run back to the farm and I ship some of the berries I picked up in the woods.

And I decide to run back into the mountains for a bit more material. There was a cave in the...

...A cave in the...
    The elf.
    The elf just like the ones I remember from when I was little. That summer, I spent a lot of time in the mountains... And while that goddess minded things, the little elven-sprite creatures of the woods were my companions, showing me the secret paths through the woods adults couldn't reach, playing music on blades of grass...
    The ones that everyone said could not exist... But all the same, we played a lot. They were really happy, to have someone new to play with.

...Now, either I am insane...
    Or I was right all along! Take that, Dad! Take that, childhood therapists!

Elves speak pig latin. Yes. This makes sense, he thinks, with his head full of lies.

"Really? Errr.... Eally-ray?"
    "Eally-ray..." I am having a conversation with an elf. That's a thing that's happening.
    "Well, I've gotta keep on the move, but maybe I can stop by sometimes and give lessons?"
    Or something. He seems to be speaking OK, provided he drops the pig latin.
    "Ummm.... that ould-way be ery-vay ice-nay... Aybe-may."
    He's a shy little bugger, isn't he?
    "Hey, umm..."
    I want to ask him about all the rest of it. Is he the same elf? Is he a different elf? Are there more elves? Does he remember playing with me?
    But he looks emberassed and uneasy around humans, so I just smile and say.
    "See you later."
    He nods cheerfully.

I fill my backpack with herbs and head on my way back home.

It's time to clear some space. Grandpa left me a suite of tools... I guess it can't be that hard to use an axe, right? Just ram the sharp parts into some wood.

See? As long as I remember: blade goes into the stump, not into my leg or something.

Next up, I need to plough the field. My grandpa said something about the shape... You want easy access to the plants, so you want a sort of...Fat U-type shape.

Like this...But it's pretty hard work. And I need to fill my watering can.
    On the way I spot my new little horse standing under the little lean-to stable against the barn. I give him a little scratch under the chin.

"Goodnight, Agro. Good night, Link."
    Or, well, not exactly... The watering can's space is really far away from the shipping bin. It's kind of a pain.

There! 8 little turnips, snug as bugs in rugs!

I finish at midnight, and when I go to put away those herbs I notice Zack left me some cash, and I put it in my wallet.
    With all but one shipped out, I think it's time to close the day. I spend a little time inside trying to get used to the heft of the watering can...

And to keep my strength up, I have a little snack before bed. The herb is a little bitter, but it doesn't taste bad -- kind of warm and earthy. Herb-like, I guess.

I turn to look over the little notebook left, and I notice in the nightstand... An old photo album.
    It's almost completely empty, except for one photo.

It's a picture we took together that Summer... He must have had other albums, other photos... Why leave this one here?
    Was this album...Meant for me? Or meant for other summers with me?
    ...Well, that ship sailed, right? But I can at least try and find some interesting things to take pictures of. I won't let it go empty.

As I go to bed, the thought occurs. Look at that picture. I'm basically a clone. Our hats are even the same.
    ...Well, better Grandpa than Dad.

Spring - 4 - xxx1

Another morning, another riceball breakfast.

Today, I think I'll head back to the cave first, gather up some shippables and flowers. Maybe run into that elf.

...He's not here today...Did I...Dream them up, or something?
    Well, it's early. Maybe he's still asleep. I pick up my herbs and go.

I also head to a little clearing with a beautiful pool. It feels peaceful and serene...The feeling of deja vu creeps over me as I pick the flowers.
    On my way back, I see that people have started heading into the mountains. Including Mr. Angry Cowboy.

"Whatever." If I had to guess his name based on how he acts, it'd be Richard. Kept abbreviated, with the rhyming-nickname.
    I'll just yoink this flower and go.

I kind of over-estimated my load-bearing capacity, so I've got to run down the path with it in my hands.

"I thought you'd like a little fresher one this time, Popuri."
    "Oh, thank you! It's so pretty.... <3"
    "Anyway, I gotta go make a purchase."

I figure diversity's a good thing in planting.

*sigh* Goodbye, money. It was nice meeting you.

I wave hello to the old woman sitting outside the bakery. I guess she's Elli's granny.

"But of course you don't remember me. Last time we met, you were just a sprout."
    "W-well, it's nice seeing you again."
    I apparently have a good memory for magical pixies and a bad memory for people.

The bakery has a really cute, quaint feeling to it.

"For every 10 stickers you get buying cakes. There are a lot of nice prizes."
    "Elli, I can't afford a cake, much less 10 customer-appretiation stickers worth of cakes."
    "You've got a point... But how does that sound as a sales-pitch? I'd like to try and do more here... Granny and I work together on the baking, and Jeff runs the shop..."
    I look at the guy with the dopey mustache. She's really trying to out-perform him?
    "It's a good pitch. For a guy who's got money."
    "I'm sure you'll have better luck. We just both have to do our best."
    "Yeah."

I figure while I'm making my rounds, I may want to stop by the tool shop. I've got a spare flower.

And Ann's there, too. I guess the ranch is closed on Thursdays.
    "Hey! How are you?"
    "I think I'm doing alright." Running about 5 hours of sleep and dirt-poor, but alright.
    "Well, let's hope it continues, then!"

"You got that right." It's a pity I'm just generally in 'pretty alright' spirits, or 'nah, I'm cool' spirits. How do mellow spirits work for you, Ann?

"But stop by sometimes. I'm Rick... I forgot to introduce myself the other day."
    "Nice to meet you. I picked up a 'sample' for you, by the way."

"No problem." It's a little odd -- everyone in this town seems down with flowers. Maybe giving gifts is just the way of things, like some sort of Native American society.
    "I run through them pretty quickly, but I'll probably still want more."
    "...What happens to something when your invention doesn't work on it?"
    "They sort of explode. And then the machine explodes. It's a bug I'm trying to work out."
    Everything exploding sounds a little extreme for a bug.

Well, anyway. Last thing up is the library. I'd like to let Maria get a little bit more comfortable with me.
    So I really just spend my lunch reading a book quietly. Neither of us says anything besides a casual and stuttered (respectively) "hello." It's a little library, but there's a lot of care put into it: not a book out of place and not even a tiny sheen of dust.
    I'm impressed, but it'd be wierd to say that, right? 'I'm really impressed by your library-tending' sounds...really unsuave. So I end up not saying anything, and letting the chance go by.
    As I turn to leave, Maria stops me.

"...t-the library between jobs...L-like this again."
    Well, at least I'm welcome here. I offer her a soft smile.
    "It'd make me happy to do that."
    She smiles at me and then goes back to looking at her own book.

Actually, I think that went rather well. I have some free space, so I run back up the mountains and put whatever I think could look nice in there.

And get home in plenty of time to ship it off. Maybe I'll even have time to hit the bar tonight...So maybe I'll save a couple of the berries and see if they know anything neat I can do with them. I'll save an herb to eat, too, and ship the rest.
    I spend the time until dusk watering my turnips...Ugh. I'm so inefficient that the water just goes everywhere. This stuff really is harder than I thought it would be...
    Yeah. I totally need a drink. But first, to collect my earnings...

Holy...Look that that money! I can buy a lot more seeds with this!
    Wow. I'm in a life where 400 is worth going "holy" over.

Well, this lifts my drinking spirits.

I hit the bar just after it opens... It's not completely deserted, surprisingly. I start chatting people up, starting with Ann's dad.

"...Well, that's encouraging."

"You're drunk, so I'll forgive you."
    "Thanks...Don't tell Ann, alright? She'll put up a fuss."
    I will remember that should you laugh again.

The guy from the vineyard the other day waves me over.
    "Hey there. In all that mess, I never introduced myself."
    Yeah, no one in this town remembers right away.

"Nice to meet you. I...I guess I own that old farm just down the road from you guys. I'm Fox."
    "Good luck."

Well, while I'm here, I'd like a word with our would-be runaway waitress.

"Where are you from?"
    Before I can say something, her face drops into a little frown.
    "Well, it doesn't matter."
    She waves me off with a smirk.
    "You'll be gone soon anyway."
    "Well, while I'm here... Your family runs the vineyard, right? You guys have any need of..."
    I take the berry out of my backpack.
    "This?"
    She takes it, and her face completely changes.

"Really?"
    "This sort of berry makes the absolute best drink, but I don't have time to get any myself. Thank you! <3"

And, finally, it's time for me to get a drink.

Ok, it's time for me to stand around and drink up the atmosphere. Fair enough. Well, to test the atmosphere at the bar, I may as well talk to the bartender.

"Are you a tourist?"
    "No, I just moved to the farm down the road."
    "Well, it's good to take on a big challenge when you're young."

"Huh, that's nifty. So, you'd know what to do with...this berry? Karen was saying it makes a good wine."
    "It does. It's popular around here with anyone who knows wine. The mountain has good materials."
    I'll keep that in mind...
    "I gotta run. There's still work that needs doing."
    "Don't put it all off forever, kid."
    "I won't."

After all, this field needs clearing if I'm to plant these cabbages.

And it's still a lot of work to do. I may need to tighten my schedule a bit, since by the time I'm done it's past midnight again.
    But I do -- I really do -- get everything done. Mostly...
    And then I hop gratefully into bed.

Ok, two notes.
    I am sooo bad at playing this via emulator. The layout of the field does not get along with key-based controls at all. Not even a little bit. He's always at a diagnol and aaarrrg. I've decided to order a USB adaptor for my N64 controller to fix this issue.

The second note is that I'd like to have a second plot of turnips with some money... But I'm not sure if I'd rather have a second plot of cabbages right away (allowing us to ship more cabbages while still having a steady back-and-forth rotation to have gifts for Maria, who loves cabbages)...Or if I should move into another of my plans, getting out some potatoes to woo Ann. Ann's got plenty of time, and good gifts to give her all summer, so we may want to hold off there. So, official vote! Cabbage or Potatoes?

I'll also start putting up the cast list, since I need a good reference for all my fonts. I've got the girls up now.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-21 at 04:16 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Psssh! I'll admit I did enjoy Harvest Moon 64, but everything about it was so laid back. There's nothing laid back about farming! There's really no consequences to the game, you just sort of do whatever you want.

Harvest Moon for SNES... now there was a game, I tell ya what.

EDIT: Oh god, I just looked up Harvest Moon for SNES and I've come to the horrible realization that the game cannot be beaten, at least from how I pictured it as a kid. At the end your dad scolds you, but apparently it doesn't matter how good or bad you do, he always scolds you and takes back the farm! WTF

Thanks to this lack of knowledge (pre-internet days, mind you), my real life dad refuses to play video games after how hard he worked on Harvest Moon SNES, only to fail. I still remember him vividly saying, "WHAT? WAS IT BECAUSE I DIDNT SELL OVER A HUNDRED TURNIPS?!"

Everything I know is a lie. Oh god...
    Last edited by Rallicus; 2012-05-21 at 04:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Maria is adorkable, so I'll say construct additional cabbages. I really like the whole setup for this LP, the family drama makes a great motivating backdrop for a freeform game like this.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus View Post
    Psssh! I'll admit I did enjoy Harvest Moon 64, but everything about it was so laid back. There's nothing laid back about farming! There's really no consequences to the game, you just sort of do whatever you want.

EDIT: Oh god, I just looked up Harvest Moon for SNES and I've come to the horrible realization that the game cannot be beaten, at least from how I pictured it as a kid. At the end your dad scolds you, but apparently it doesn't matter how good or bad you do, he always scolds you and takes back the farm! WTF

Thanks to this lack of knowledge (pre-internet days, mind you), my real life dad refuses to play video games after how hard he worked on Harvest Moon SNES, only to fail. I still remember him vividly saying, "WHAT? WAS IT BECAUSE I DIDNT SELL OVER A HUNDRED TURNIPS?!"

Heh. I've never actually played that one, though I have a friend who has... I don't think she's ever mentioned how the ending works, and she seems to treat it as reasonably laid-back aside from the lack of rucksack. Infinite time at night sounds like a pretty swell deal to me.

But 64 can be a lot less laid-back than you'd think. While its true that unlike SNES, it's possible to get just about everything... But possible and easy are not the same thing, and someone trying to get the most out of the game has a real challenge on their hands, is the experience I've seen, both first-hand and through others.

I think most early Harvest Moon games have, to some extent, "adjustable difficulty." If you want to be the best like no one ever was, you'll need to fire on all cyllinders. If you just want a good time, it's like totally chill. That said... Modern HM games are totally wusses. Like, we want to talk "laid back," these are the laid-backiest.

Also, thanks, Selph!
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-21 at 04:47 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus View Post

He did get married, right? I'm pretty sure he always scolds you if you fail to marry any of the bachelorettes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Much as I think Maria is swell (how can you resist a cute librarian?!?), I'd like to see some diversity of plants and wooing of multiple maidens, so I vote potatoes.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about that mad scientist girl? Is she romancable, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    What about that mad scientist girl? Is she romancable, too?
    Rick is a boy, and no.

But you should act as if you CAN romance him so as to get sweet loot later on.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

In the games where Rick is eligible (when you play as a girl), he is a total and utter tool. Harvest Moon refuses to let me have my absent-minded inventor cake and eat it, too. It's very, very sad.

Lonestarnorth basically hits the nail on the head for why we're making a point of being friendly to him, though I do just generally consider him completely awesome. I will so totally get a rare metal for him, even if I have to burn down all of Paris save-state the heck out of the mines.

Edit, the third!: I have gotten the little adaptor working, and everything seems just fine and Fox can run around using the field's grid system with success. Chapter will presumably get written when I am not feeling ill.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-05-24 at 09:50 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)