New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mr.Silver has brought your fix: Random Banter #206

Virtual booze? I am virtually all over that.

Are we doing an irc thing or just chatting in the thread? Cause I'm about to try to sleep.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Virtual booze? I am virtually all over that.

Are we doing an irc thing or just chatting in the thread? Cause I'm about to try to sleep.
    It's in the thread, so no one has to miss it. Have a good respite!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Yay! I will have to try scything too, it seems interesting. And I bet I can do it with a slim chance of hurting myself!
    Hehehe...

Definitely bed time as I am writing this, but ah well. The way time works around the world has always been such a curiosity to me. Sounds like a fair day though. Learning more of the world around us. I know only that our dogs like to bark at the woodpeckers.
    Closer to morning time, since I for once actually went to bed when I said I would.

Hmm and what is this cable for dear Teddy? I should know but somehow I don't. I've been up to a bit of house and yard work with my grandma. She really has a lot she wants done with this place.
    Optic fibre is used to communicate at high transfer rates. In other words, it's our incoming/outgoing Internet connection. We've already had the fibre drawn to our house, but we need to get it inside and install the converter box...

ION:
    Speaking of scything, I'll actually be going to our ancestral farm today, staying for the weekend. There won't be any grass to scythe, it's still too early for that, but there will be cousins, and that's always fun!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hehehe...

Closer to morning time, since I for once actually went to bed when I said I would.
    Wow, and over here I am up later than I intended to be. Just wanted to check various threads real fast before bed, but reading this made me feel like I just had to write something. So after this I say good night.

Optic fibre is used to communicate at high transfer rates. In other words, it's our incoming/outgoing Internet connection. We've already had the fibre drawn to our house, but we need to get it inside and install the converter box...

ION:
    Speaking of scything, I'll actually be going to our ancestral farm today, staying for the weekend. There won't be any grass to scythe, it's still too early for that, but there will be cousins, and that's always fun!
    Ah cool! I hope that it works out very well for you and your family over there then. It sounds like you really know what you're doing with all that.

I hope you have fun over there this weekend, or that at least your stay is enjoyable. Cousins are usually fun but not always. Got to see a cousin a couple weeks ago that I hadn't been around in a while, and it was tons of fun!

ION: Either good night or good morning banterers. Sleep well or have a good day, whichever.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Ah cool! I hope that it works out very well for you and your family over there then. It sounds like you really know what you're doing with all that.
    Well, we'll get a professional to do that work, we just did some unqualified and dirty manual labour which would've costed extra to have a technician do for us...

I hope you have fun over there this weekend, or that at least your stay is enjoyable. Cousins are usually fun but not always. Got to see a cousin a couple weeks ago that I hadn't been around in a while, and it was tons of fun!
    Yeah, they tend to be mostly fun to have around...

ION: Either good night or good morning banterers. Sleep well or have a good day, whichever.
    Good night, Halusun! Sleep well!
    *kram*
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

It occurs to me I should probably post in this thread at some point, since my username's in the title.
    Incidentally, I hadn't realised quite how much I identified with that handle until I started seeing this thread pop up a lot. It's a bit of an odd feeling seeing it all the time - a bit like your in public and attracting a few stares.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    There has been a death in the family. More or less. My shoes, which I've owned for 6 years, have finally given up the ghost.
    Having lost a family member a few months back, I was all set to offer condolences. Then I read the rest of the post and felt rather silly.

I don't know what it says about me that I'm genuinely sad to lose a pair of shoes. Probably bad things.
    Not if they were very good shoes, I'd have thought.

Speaking of bad things, @QWERTY: I posted in the League thread and everyone ignored me for a page. So helpful, much faith in community.
    To be fair, most MOBA communities aren't exactly famous for being helpful and welcoming.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-04-17 at 05:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Having lost a family member a few months back, I was all set to offer condolences. Then I read the rest of the post and felt rather silly.

Not if they were very good shoes, I'd have thought.

To be fair, most MOBA communities aren't exactly famous for being helpful and welcoming.
    Sorry if my little joke has caused any uncomfortability.

They where very good shoes, yes.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't mean to make a run on what's just happened, and I'm not going to frame it like some great family loss... but, it seems my scanner has died. Which is really unfortunate. It fell from my desk last week and have been struggling to get it working ever since. It was a great little scanner. Not new by any means, but it was reliable, of decent quality, and portable. I'm going to take it by the tech lab in the library soon and see if it can't be opened up and revived, but I'm not counting on that.

Thank God I've still got Amazon Student Prime, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

http://tinypic.com/r/szzqy0/8

I have ducklings now.

Beefsquatch (black and grey chick) and the black duckling feed each other and make out. Clearly they are a couple.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I have ducklings now.

Beefsquatch (black and grey chick) and the black duckling feed each other and make out. Clearly they are a couple.
    I wanna hug 'em alllllll....
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have ducklings now.

Aww~ Good luck with the little ones. And I hope they don't become quite as scary as normal ducks once they're grown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

I'm honestly in full panic mode. I need a flat to live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, you're in the same situation I was a little bit ago...honestly I still am in that situation, just with less urgency. What region of the world are you stuck in?

(Recaiden) He lives!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Aw, Finn...

What happened to the old one?
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2014-04-17 at 01:13 PM.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, you're in the same situation I was a little bit ago...honestly I still am in that situation, just with less urgency. What region of the world are you stuck in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Aw, Finn...

What happened to the old one?
    Our lease ends in early June, and my options are to either: stay in Finland for the summer and return early enough to find a flat before my placement starts in August, or stay in Glasgow and visit Finland when convenient. I'd rather have the latter. Glasgow's a horrible place to find a flatmate from. TOO MUCH SCARY STUFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Y'all mentioned 2048 earlier, right? I just found a 3D version. I think it's a lot easier but it's also more entertaining to me.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, then you would be doing it wrong. Very wrong, in fact, since you arc the blade in front of you, and the handle makes it practically impossible for it to come any closer. It'd be easier to cut yourself when swinging a sword.

As for how it actually looks and feels, well, you neither move your arms nor legs when operating a scythe (not counting the steps you have to take between each swing). Instead, you hold the scythe handle diagonally and swing it by turning your torso. To make sure you cut the grass properly, you'll want the scythe blade to almost point in the same direction as you swing it, only differing enough to cut a decimetre or two forward through the grass. Then you just swing, step forward, swing, step forward, and so on.
    Very interesting. Thank you. Is it decently efficient, then? I speculate these things: firstly, that there are not many other options when the grass is long; and secondly, that a razor-sharp slice is much healthier for the grass than the dull tearing of a lawnmower's blades.

Ooh invite me too, I want to be non-Swedish/Swedish gardner helper person!

Indeed, hellos Bilbeneken! (I'm sure you can see what I did ). How does it go for you this day? Or whichever day you next post here.
    Since Sweden is colonizing the world surreptitiously via furniture and socks, it is our right to enjoin the centre from our periphery. Postcolonial studies have taught us this. Onwards to the capital, Helium Halloon!

I am well this day: for this afternoon I shall take lunch with my gentleman friend, and this evening I shall drink rum and play cards with the blackguards of my family. The recent cold snap is turning back to spring, and I shall soon be out of town taking medicinal quantities of wine. All manner of things are well. I trust, in turn, that your yard work and renovations of late have been satisfying? Let me guess, you didn't ask what was planted in the garden this year. *runs into the bathroom crying and locks the door*

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I know I've complained about this class a lot before, but... this is just insane.

1) "Even if you believe in god, you must believe in the book [in heaven]..." If you don't believe in heaven, why would you believe in a book that's supposed to reside there?
    2) What on earth does said book in heaven have to do with AI pathing?! I mean I get what the perfect tic-tac-toe game has to do with AI and I get what that has to do with game engines, but a BOOK that you have to believe in even if you don't?!

Please knock me out until my clothes are out of style
    A wizard is never out of style. Nor is he in style. He is precisely as fashionable as he means to be.

But I feel as if some deep cipher is at work in this individual's strange utterances. By God he means the meta-game surrounding tic-tac-toe, and the possibility of perfection within an ultimately flawed matrix. With the book he means the way to signify, in material terms, the meaning of a thing which is not material -- transcending the particulars of form. In this way, programming tic-tac-toe AI becomes a wax-on/wax-off spiritual exercise. You are being taught by a sublime genius.

ION:
    Can you please tell me, once you have been there, how your white strawberry plants might be doing? Of course it be too early for berries, but... y'know... just let them know that I asked.

I have ducklings now.

Are they as fluffy to touch as they look? ;___;
    May I brushy-brushy them with a toothbrush?

Our lease ends in early June, and my options are to either: stay in Finland for the summer and return early enough to find a flat before my placement starts in August, or stay in Glasgow and visit Finland when convenient. I'd rather have the latter. Glasgow's a horrible place to find a flatmate from. TOO MUCH SCARY STUFF.
    Not to mention the difficulty of finding a "flat" *utters this word awkwardly* for only a few months. Have you met no enclaves of budgies in the city, who squat in clock towers or attics or around the warm vents outside of bakeries? I could talk to my people, and they would surely take you under their wing for a time. They will bring you tea and oranges and toast, and preen your hair so that it be shiny and smooth as a tail feather.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Very interesting. Thank you. Is it decently efficient, then? I speculate these things: firstly, that there are not many other options when the grass is long; and secondly, that a razor-sharp slice is much healthier for the grass than the dull tearing of a lawnmower's blades.
    Extremely efficient on flat surfaces with decently tall grass. Quiet, doesn't use gas, not impossible to start up. In my experience, it only cuts easily down to about three inches or so.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Extremely efficient on flat surfaces with decently tall grass. Quiet, doesn't use gas, not impossible to start up. In my experience, it only cuts easily down to about three inches or so.
    Plus... it's a scythe. Even leaving aside the feeling that the grass is souls, it must be fun to wield something so old-fashioned.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

It turns out that my hard drive has failed, which means the Random Banter Card Ceremony might be stalled for a bit.

It'll still be this week, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion
    ...Thicker Borders...
    I tried that, but it didn't turn out too well. How many pixels of width is recommended.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I tried that, but it didn't turn out too well. How many pixels of width is recommended.
    Erm... how many pixels did you use for the outer thick lines?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Erm... how many pixels did you use for the outer thick lines?
    Fifteen, if I remember correctly.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Fifteen, if I remember correctly.
    And the inner lines?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

And the inner lines?
    Five pixels, or maybe ten. I have no files to access, unfortunately.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Five pixels, or maybe ten. I have no files to access, unfortunately.
    They're five. I'd try ten, then.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

They're five. I'd try ten, then.
    I worry that the additional thickness would kill the tail, though.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

I worry that the additional thickness would kill the tail, though.
    For the tail you draw the stroke with the pen tool, getting thinner as it goes.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

For the tail you draw the stroke with the pen tool, getting thinner as it goes.
    What do you mean?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

What do you mean?
    Rather than creating a pink fill with a black stroke, create a pink fill and then draw a black stroke that gets thinner the farther down the tail.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Rather than creating a pink fill with a black stroke, create a pink fill and then draw a black stroke that gets thinner the farther down the tail.
    How would one go about doing that?