The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

“So.. we are, ah, staying here?” said Orfeo, in halting Reikspiel. Neither he nor Cesar looked too happy at the prospect.

“We should set the watches,” said the taller of the two Tileans. He looked towards the less ruinous of the two towers still standing. “Up there, no? Can see... all around.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-14 at 10:54 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

"I could take a watch." Ludo suggested. "I'm not sure i'll sleep well anyway."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

<"Good thinking."> Adelbert replied in Tilean, squinting at the tower. He turned and glanced at Sieghard in case the experienced mercenary had any objections. "I'll take the watch after Ludo then."

Unlike the others the scribe seems pretty assured sleeping in the ruins. His academic fascination had gripped him, turning the ruins from something to be creeped out about to a intriguing enigma to be studied.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Last watch is mine then," Sieghard said. He didn't care for the ruins any more than the Tileans did, but after falling in the marsh once, he was in no rush to try crossing it again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Orfeo nodded, glad to see that Lady Hildebrand's travelling companions were willing to pull their weight.

"I watch with the little man," said Cesar, indicating Ludo. "Orfeo, you take over for third watch." He looked over to Sieghard. "Two guards, better than one, no?"

It seemed neither of the Tileans were particularly keen on taking chances tonight.

Pitching their camp in the shadow of the one of the tumbled walls, the party watched as dusk stole over the sky from the east. The stars came out one by one, gleaming in silver pin-pricks through the streaks of cloud that were sailing in from the north.

Entering the tower, Ludo found the stairs broken down in ruin. Jumping the gaps in the steps, he scrambled up to the highest level, keeping his eyes peeled for forgotten treasure. Cesar followed him at a significantly slower pace, cursing and mumbling to himself every time he had to pull himself up over a section of broken stairway.

Finding a good perch for a sentry, he waved down at the others in the courtyard. You could see for miles up here - it was just a shame that all you could see was swamp. Still, the view would have been beautiful at sunrise...

Down below, the others ate and drank, keeping careful track of their rations. Even if they had wanted a fire, there was no dry fuel to be found in this place. Elsa found herself missing hot meals rather more than she'd expected. Her hungry stomach making the most of what they had, she settled down to get some sleep.

~

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo did his best to make friendly conversation with Cesar, but the Tilean seemed too on edge to maintain it. Contenting himself with thoughts of treasure tomorrow, he settled down to watch the moons rise over the Mere.

After a short while, Cesar descended the stairs to take a leak, leaving Ludo alone at the top of the tower. No sooner had the mercenary vanished from view than the stripe of cloud that had been cloaking Morrslieb drew aside, bathing the marsh in the Chaos Moon's greenish light.

Ludo had to stifle a gasp at what he saw then. Rushing to the edge of the parapet, he gazed down at the points of light he saw glittering under the water. Thoughts of sunken gold leapt to the forefront of his mind - he could see it down there, reflecting the moonlight.

Something was wrong, though. Frowning, he looked up at the sky, and saw the ragged veil of cloud had passed back in front of Mannslieb's sickly cousin. When he looked back to the marsh, however, the points of greenish light still shone under the water.

Some of them were moving.

Moving in pairs.

~

Elsa Only

Spoiler
    Show
    Though Elsa was tired from the journey, the whispering from the marsh kept her awake, creeping into her mind without the consent of her ears. It was fainter than during the crossing, but present nonetheless. Meaningless words rustled in her ears, alternating with the faded echoes of clashing swords.

After what seemed like hours, she was still awake, though the others were sleeping soundly. The marsh outside the walls had fallen utterly silent - no birds, no frogs, no insects chirping in the reeds. The only sound was the whispering, which seemed to change as she listened. It became the words of one voice - a man's voice - hoarse and purposeful, no longer lost. Though the words were still strange to her, she could feel the power in them. The sound of them alone sent an icy thrill down her spine.

The amethyst shadows that haunted the ruins were stirring - but something else stirred with them, moulding and breaking them to its will. Before her eyes, the ancient walls began to weep. Liquid darkness ran down from between the cracks in the bricks, staining them. It puddled and ran like oil, and Elsa could taste the sour, cold stench of grave mould at the back of her throat.

One of the spreading puddles reached the spot where Sieghard lay, flowing around his exposed hand. Elsa watched in horror as the skin of the sleeping mercenary's fingers began to blacken and rot, sloughing away to reveal the white bones beneath...
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-14 at 05:28 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert said his evening prayers in private (to Sigmar and Verena) before returning to join the others. "A fascinating day." He said cheerfully. "I'm sorry I didn't bring more parchment."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm sorry we didn't bring kindling," Sieghard muttered, not sharing Adelbert's high spirits. To him, there had been nothing fascinating about nearly drowning and coming face to face with a long-dead orc. His clothes were still damp and being unable to dry or warm himself made him all the more irritable. Eventually he settled into a restless sleep.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert too eventually drifted off to sleep. No matter how enthused he was, he was also tired.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I'm sorry I didn't bring more parchment."

"I'm sorry we didn't bring kindling."

"And I'm sorry I didn't bring more booze," said Elsa, grabbing her half-empty bottle of brandy from her backpack, "but we should get at least a few gulps each." She took a large swallow of brandy and passed the bottle to Sieghard, to her right. "Pass it along. Might as well finish it."

Elsa only

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa stared in shock at the black liquid that seeped from the walls and ate away Sieghard's hand. At the back of her mind, her reason told her this might be only a vision brought by the Aethyr. This did nothing to reassure her; when her witch-sight saw horror, the real horror was never too far, be it in terms of distance or time. Dread mounted within her. Wolf-riding goblins, would-be ambushers, overzealous enforcers, even witch-hunters, she could deal with; they all burned equally well. If dark magic was at work, though, there was no fireball hot enough to save her.

The whisper. What is that whisper?

She rolled over to Sieghard. Her hand closed like a vise around his to make sure it was still made of flesh.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's grabbing him tightly enough to wake him up, provided his hand didn't actually turn skeletal, but I'll let you include him in the next spoiler tag.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-04-14 at 09:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Panic starting to rise in his chest, Ludo leaned over the parapet and squinted at the lights, trying to get some sense of distance and speed.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d100)[55] vs 48

Like i said, connection may be spotty/i may be busy until thursday: if so, regardless of the test outcome, Ludo will run down the tower and try and wake the others, Sieghard and Elsa first.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard's hand felt rotten under her touch. She could feel the liquescent rot oozing between her fingers, carrying chunks of flesh with it. It made her want to gag - but when she snatched her hand back, Sieghard's hand looked whole.

Sieghard woke to Elsa squeezing his hand.

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    The field of marsh-lights stretched away for a mile or more. They were densest near the walls, glimmering softly under the water - except for the few that were moving. Those seemed to wander without direction, tracing slow, erratic paths through the marsh.

Mannslieb broke through the fast-running clouds, and by its light Ludo saw a huge, hunchbacked silhouette pulling itself out of the water. Twice the height of a man, its gangly arms reached all the way to the ground. They seemed thin and wasted compared to its size; Ludo thought he caught a gleam of bone in the moonlight. Two of the greenish witch-lights burned like lantern flames in its shadowed face.

For a while, it remained still - then it joined the smaller figures stumbling at random through the marsh.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-15 at 03:31 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo nodded when told which watch duty would be his and after he had eaten and drank he folded himself up beneath his worn cloak and did his best to get some sleep. He knew they were likely to start digging around in that ominous doorway tomorrow and he knew that they had to also.

Doesn't mean I want to write a song about it! he thought to himself glumly. It felt to Viggo that sleep was a long time coming.

13. - Top - End - #13

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa's look of panic and bewilderment quickly turned to one of embarrassment when Sieghard woke up with her sweaty hand clamped around his.

So what do I tell him now? Will he think I was just having a nightmare? Was I?

She took a deep breath. "I... um... there was, um..." she mumbled, her heart still pounding in her chest from terror. Her sleepy mind raced for a way to explain why she had woken him up. A way that would not make her sound like a raving lunatic or a frightened child.

The best idea she came up with was to lean forward and glue her lips to Sieghard's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment, Sieghard was too dumbstruck to react. He tried to gather his thoughts... What if one of the others woke up? What about her guards?

He didn't care.

He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her closer.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-04-15 at 12:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something in the back of Ludo's mind was very calm, even as sheer terror twanged his muscles, and what it thought to itself was This is absolutely fascinating!. However, if you don't mind, i'm going to scream now.

Ludo screamed, and ran down the tower as fast as his legs could carry him, sprinting straight towards where the others were sleeping.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The quiet of the night was rudely shattered as Ludo burst from the tower and ran screaming through the camp.

Orfeo woke instantly, sitting bolt upright with his hand on the pommel of his sword. Over in the shadow of the tower, the dim shape of Cesar hurried into sight, looking to see the source of the noise.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-16 at 07:05 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Awoken from dreams of Aisha by Ludo's screams Adelbert groggily reached for his sword and his chainmail.

"What is it? What is it?" the scribe called out, trying to force himself into proper wakefulness to confront whatever danger was facing them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Elsabeth Holt

As Ludo ran into the camp, he could hardly miss the fact that Elsa and Sieghard were kissing hungrily on the ground, the pyromancer on top of the mercenary with a fistful of his hair in her hand. Elsa broke off the kiss with a snarl of annoyance and sprang to her feet.

"What now?" she growled, removing a lock of hair from her face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard scrambled to his feet.

"There had better be an army of greenskins out there, halfling," he grumbled, glaring murderously at Ludo the entire time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo sat bolt upright, What woke me? then he heard Ludo screaming at the top of his lungs. Rubbing at his sleep filled eyes he cast about the the camp worriedly searching for signs of what had raised the alarm. That's when he saw Elsa and Sieghard locked in an embrace, a passionate one at that. No wonder he's bloody screaming!

As the pair guilty scrambled to their feet he forgot about the screams and laughed out aloud. "Ha! I'd heard that it was possible to kiss a drowned man back to life, but I'm not sure that's how it works Elsa!"

Staggering sluggishly to his feet he grinned at them, chuckling once more at the gruffness in Sieghard's voice. "He probably thinks she was trying to kill you! Ludo? Ludo! Calm down, what is it?!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"There's something coming!" Ludo yelped, scrabbling on the ground for a stone for his sling. "Some things, man-size, with glowing eyes, coming out of the - kissing? - out of the swamp! And there's something with them, something bigger! They were kissing?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for slowness. Ludo is taking a Ready and Load action on his slingshot.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard started putting on his armor.

"What things? And how many?" he asked, still scowling but grateful for a change of subject.

Spoiler
    Show
    A few questions. Does this tower have a door, or (if there ever was one) has time caused it to rot away? Is there anything else we in the tower we could use to barricade the entrance?

How are the two Tilean soldiers armed?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Lots of them! Lots and lots and lots of them, moving in the swamp!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

A frantic looking Adelbert had joined them, sword drawn and chainmail on. "Quick - where do we make our stand?"

He may - or may not have seen the kissing - but he's more concerned with attack at the moment.

25. - Top - End - #25

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa shot Viggo and Ludo a withering glare. If I have to eliminate any witnesses, she thought, hurriedly putting on her boots, it can wait after the battle.

"Are we surrounded, as far as you could see?" she asked the halfling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"I think so!" Ludo said urgently. "The whole swamp was swarming with them! Go up the tower, see for yourself."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded and turned towards Adelbert and the pikemen

"I'm going up top, yell for me if you need me down here," he said, grabbing his bow.

28. - Top - End - #28

Elsabeth Holt

"Coming as well," said Elsa, following Sieghard.

If Viggo made a snide remark, she would fry him where he stood.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Sieghard looks with his eyes, Elsa looks with her witch-sight.

Target 48: (d100)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"No," said Cesar, catching Elsa by the wrist before she could enter the tower. He pointed to the crumbling doorway. "Inside, one way in, one way out. You will be caught like the rats in a trap,"

Orfeo nodded, buckling on his breastplate. "A dead man could have heard this shouting," he said. "If they are coming, they are coming now."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

<"Did you see a way out from the tower top or are we surrounded?"> Adelbert asked Orfeo and Cesar.